• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boardwalk Empire - Season 4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which episode in season 3 is the one that features Capone's relationship with his son?

My schedule is very tight, but I want to watch that one and at least the last two prior to Sunday's season premiere.
Blue Bell Boy is the one where Capone is trying to teach his son how to box. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

eXistor

Just finished watching season 3...soooo gooood. Best season so far, no dud-episodes like season 2 had (only had, like, 2 though). They really upped the entertainment factor, hope they can keep it going and it might end up being my favorite show.

- Sepinwall's review: HBO's 'Boardwalk Empire' is back to playing by the book for season 4
“Boardwalk” is never going to be as thematically or sociologically rich as “The Wire,” nor is it as likely to have the kind of visceral impact on its audience. It’s a Hall of the Very Good drama living in the shadow of its Hall of Fame predecessors, and though the start of the fourth season (I’ve seen five episodes) is perhaps the show’s strongest opening to date, it hasn’t suddenly found a higher gear. It is what it is: a handsome, marvelously acted pulp gangster drama, with occasional moments that aspire to (and achieve) something more complex.

Blutonium

I don't watch a lot of shows, but I'm up to date on Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad and Boardwalk.

Dare I say...this is the best show on TV? Season 3 was incredible and now Ron Livingston is in 4? BRING IT!

Early, unconfirmed attendance report for the first five episodes of S4:
Lots of Chalky and Capone, no Margaret until Ep 6, no Esther Randolph, and only a little bit of Van Alden.

that sound about right

with the trailer focusing more with Chalky and Capone and yes!!! no margaret for 6 episode

- LA Times Capsule review:
Heavy on mood and light on character development, early episodes of Season 4 rely too often on violence and sex, and sexual violence, to prop up a story that wanders where it should stride. Still, Buscemi remains the thinking man's mobster, and Nucky's alliance with Chalky (Michael Kenneth Williams) deepens the themes of race relations if only in the criminal world. Also, this season introduces Jeffrey Wright as Dr. Valentin Narcisse, a Harlem gangster with very definite opinions on race, and I'll watch Jeffrey Wright in just about anything.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Lots of Chalky and Capone, no Margaret until Ep 6, no Esther Randolph, and only a little bit of Van Alden.

More Chalky and Capone is always a good thing! Only a little bit of Van Alden makes me sad tho.

Didn't he want to reach the untouchables someday? I hope he can do that, but seen how True Blood will end next season, I think that more than seven for Boardwalk Empire is just wishful thinking.

- Newsday: 'Boardwalk Empire' Season 4 premiere review: Bit muddled
Based on most of the first five episodes sent out for review, "Boardwalk Empire" easily establishes its claim as one of the three or four best dramas on TV. But initial impressions aren't too promising. Sunday's opener is a nasty piece of business in parts, and worse, muddled.

Some fans may find themselves wondering where this is going and whether they want to go there with it. You will (believe me, you will) but just gird yourself for something new, and in surprising ways, something better. "Empire" is richer, deeper, and -- if possible -- even more beautiful. And this does remain very much a thing of beauty and craftsmanship.

GRADE A-

- Slant Review: Boardwalk Empire Season 4
The onrush of activity is merciless, and yet the show's pacing never suffers for it. Lengthy scenes of characters hashing out business deals are intercut with frantic bursts of gory violence, and as the body count rapidly rises, so do the stakes. More than in past seasons, each gruesome death seems to have a justifiable reason behind it, motivated by the seemingly insatiable appetite for increased influence and respect. In the realm of Boardwalk Empire, a man's worth isn't determined by how much money he has, but how skilled he is at acquiring more of it. 3 out of 4 stars

Yay on more Chalky and Capone. I was thinking that we're going to get more Capone last year, and we didn't get all that much. Good to see that it's happening this year.

- TV Guide's Scene Stealer feature: Boardwalk Empire's Jack Huston

- Philly.com: 'Boardwalk Empire' returns
I can't fault the emphasis on some other characters' stories - including Nucky's valet, Eddie Kessler (Anthony Laciura), and nightclub operator Chalky White (Michael Kenneth Williams) - or the additions of Jeffrey Wright, Ron Livingston and Patricia Arquette to a cast that's already one of the strongest in television. And though I can't say my interest in "Empire" is still on the rise, it hasn't collapsed just yet.
- Salon: “Boardwalk Empire” expands its universe
Ultimately, “Boardwalk Empire” is not simply about dazzling its audience with colorful characters in sharp, period attire. The drama features some of the finest actors doing some of the most exhilarating work on television at the moment — from Steve Buscemi as Nucky to the equally fantastic but lesser known Michael Stuhlbarg as his pasty, calculating rival Arnold Rothstein.

- Slate Review: Bullet Holes Where Its Heart Should Be
Boardwalk Empire is as good-looking and well-acted as ever, but it still has bullet holes where its head and heart should be.

- The Washington Post: HBO’s ‘Boardwalk Empire’ returns, but have we become numb to Nucky?
We have to take the good things about “Boardwalk Empire” (the acting, the authenticity in its exquisite details and most of the writing) along with the bad (the repetitiveness, the plodding).

- NY Daily News: 'Boardwalk Empire': Television review
They come together in a swirl of interlocking stories, held together and made coherent by Buscemi’s conniving, deceitful, yet also oddly vulnerable and strikingly honest Nucky. A Nucky scene will always be a good scene. The same could be said for a new season of “Boardwalk Empire.” 4 out of 5 stars

- TV Guide: Weekend Playlist: Last Tango in Halifax, Boardwalk Empire Join Sunday Crush
As Sunday's most searing cable dramas near the end of their summer runs, in some cases for good, HBO's gorgeous but increasingly hollow Boardwalk Empire returns for a fourth season (Sunday, 9/8c) on as flat a note as I can remember.

Is this show slow like madman? Or is it more intensed like the breaking bad?

Yeah it's slow like a crazy man.
Anyway I never know how to respond to this kind of questions, but well, try it.
I have the feeling you think slow = boring, but whatever. Good luck

Is this show slow like madman? Or is it more intensed like the breaking bad?

the first two season is what most believe were slow burn season, with the third season from beginning to end was intense considering the villain for that season was very random like Tuco. And it look like the fourth season is going be like season 3

Formosa

Yeah it's slow like a crazy man.
Anyway I never know how to respond to this kind of questions, but well, try it.
I have the feeling you think slow = boring, but whatever. Good luck

the first two season is what most believe were slow burn season, with the third season from beginning to end was intense considering the villain for that season was very random like Tuco. And it look like the fourth season is going be like season 3

isee.. Maybe I'll give it a try when I run out of shows to watch. Thanks!

- Sepinwall is hosting the NY Paley Fest Boardwalk Empire panel:
Boardwalk Empire

Sunday, October 6, 2013
6:30 pm ET
New York

In Person

Terence Winter, Executive Producer and Creator
Cast members to be announced.
Moderator: Alan Sepinwall, TV Critic, Hitfix.com; Author, The Revolution Was Televised

For three seasons Boardwalk Empire has brought the rivalries and turf wars of Prohibition-era Atlantic City to vivid, bloody life. The series’s dazzling production values and cinematic flair are a testament to the creative team working throughout the five boroughs of New York City—because not a frame of the series has been shot in New Jersey. The fourth season, set in 1924, promises more gangland conflicts for political fixer Nucky Thompson (Steve Buscemi) as new business opportunities emerge in Florida. According to showrunner Terence Winter, the embattled Nucky will emerge “a much more shrewd gangster” as a violent and charismatic rival from Harlem, Valentin Narcisse (Jeffrey Wright), tries to usurp Chalky White’s (Michael Kenneth Williams) reign as leader of Atlantic City’s African-American community.

Creator and executive producer Terence Winter, along with key members of the cast, will preview a new episode and discuss how HBO's Boardwalk Empire interweaves historical and fictional characters in its complex tapestry of 1920s America. The series has received many honors, including a dozen Emmys and two Golden Globes.

A few twitter thoughts from Poniewozik:
Poniewozik said:
Seen 5 episodes of BOARDWALK EMPIRE S4. If you liked S3, you'll be happy. To me, it's still a well-choreographed fistfight in an antiques store. The big plus in the new BOARDWALK episodes is Jeffrey Wright's character--intriguing & a step up from the cartoon of Gyp Rossetti. My criticisms aside, tho, I still watch every episode of BOARDWALK, & probably will until it's over.
- NY Mag: Boardwalk Empire Primer: Where Things Stand Entering Season Four
Boardwalk Empire's time jumps — the fourteen months between seasons two and three, and the eight between seasons three and four — can make for a jarring reentry into the HBO series' many story lines. You likely remember that the season three finale involved a shootout at the Artemis Club brothel, but who survived? And much of last season revolved around a gangster war, but which alliances were struck up and which were broken? With the show's return set for Sunday night, here's a quick guide to where the primary Boardwalk Empire characters left off.

What about Margaret?

I feel at this point
there really isn't a way to bring her back into the fold without like...making her rejection of Nucky and his way of life meaningless. I'm sure we'll see more of her later, but Boardwalk Empire is about Gangsters and right now Margaret wants no part of that.

ooooh, a scene between Nucky and Masseria

wait Nucky going to florida this season. and I wonder how Purnsley going to enter between the conflict of Narcisse and Chalky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom