• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boardwalk Empire - Season 4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as people watch tonight at some point and the cumulative numbers look good for the entire evening, HBO will probably be ok with it.
I'm curious to see if the show continues its mild decline in viewership.

Average viewers on initial airings: Season 1: 3.17M, Season 2: 2.73M, Season 3: 2.32M
I don't like this new breed of HBO.

BRING BACK LUCK...and Dennis Farina...

Damn horses!

Sanjuro

Damn horses!

Damn straight.

iLoGiycO4UkJ5.gif

I'm curious to see if the show continues its mild decline in viewership.

Average viewers on initial airings: Season 1: 3.17M, Season 2: 2.73M, Season 3: 2.32M
The show must cost them a foolish amount of money and it's not getting the awards buzz that it did a few years ago. It'll be interesting to see where the numbers end up this season and it what point they consider pulling the plug if it's still in decline. Do we have cumulative year-by-year numbers? I'd like to see if the total viewership (reruns, HBO Go, DVR, etc...) trajectory over the last three years.
Damn horses!
Yeah, the animal issues were what did it. HBO brass has mentioned it a number of times since then. No chance they try something like that again.

The show must cost them a foolish amount of money and it's not getting the awards buzz that it did a few years ago. It'll be interesting to see where the numbers end up this season and it what point they consider pulling the plug if it's still in decline. Do we have cumulative year-by-year numbers? I'd like to see if the total viewership (reruns, HBO Go, DVR, etc...) trajectory over the last three years.

I don't recall seeing total viewership for Boardwalk.

I can't remember which podcast it was this week, but I want to say it was Sepinwall's, and he basically said that there's no way they make money on the show, but they are in it for the award recognition and because this is the kind of drama they want to have on their network and they want to keep working with Winter and others that make this show.

That said, with the continuing decline in viewers, award recognition dropping off and the fact that it's very expensive, I've got to imagine that HBO is thinking about discussing an end date with Winter. Especially considering that Game of Thrones has become what they hoped that Boardwalk would be in terms of awards recognition, massive ratings, and it's obvioulsy very expensive as well.

That said, with the continuing decline in viewers, award recognition dropping off and the fact that it's very expensive, I've got to imagine that HBO is thinking about discussing an end date with Winter. Especially considering that Game of Thrones has become what they hoped that Boardwalk would be in terms of awards recognition, massive ratings, and it's obvioulsy very expensive as well.
Winter's discussed it a few places recently, as well, so both HBO and him will hopefully be on the same page about what happens from here on out.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Damn straight.

iLoGiycO4UkJ5.gif

The second to last frame in this gif is such BS. His sword stops right there? No, follow-through?

Anyway, I will be watching this at 9 and Breaking Bad at 10 with no commercials.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I'm here. Took a minute to get HBO Go on Kindle Fire HD cooperating. :)

So this is what happened to Tommy...

Oooh. Doyle!

jvm

Gamasutra.
God, I love the hats on this show.

Illinois, here we go. :)

Also, interested to see if Purnsley seals the deal.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Eddie Cantor! I love this guy.

Please, HBO. Have this guy do an Eddie Cantor documentary. He's perfect.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Oh wow. He likes
to watch
. :|

That would be a difficult position to perform in. :\

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Do we have cumulative year-by-year numbers? I'd like to see if the total viewership (reruns, HBO Go, DVR, etc...) trajectory over the last three years.

I unfortunately can't find the cumulative ratings for the first two seasons,
YET
, but apparently season 3 averaged 8 million viewers across all platforms.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Oh dear god.

The end of that Purnsley scene was... oh god.

Edit: Such dark humor. "Don't be throwin' it now!"

jvm

Gamasutra.
Eddie, Nucky's right-hand-man, is so awesome. Telling those two apes to turn aside with a flick of the hand. Lovely.

Oh god it so good to have boardwalk empire back.
great episode

-Anyway wonder what the insurance has to do with Harrow,
-good to see Mccoy having a good time in Florida,
-wonder what fuck Knox is up too ,
-lol that showgirl fuckup,
-and did Purnsley always have that bruise?

Anyway time to watch Breaking Bad

jvm

Gamasutra.
Boardwalk Empire season 4 begins its languorous pace through what will certainly be a full 12-episode story. Past seasons have shown that the full measure can't really be taken until you've seen the whole thing.

I'm so glad to see Nucky's character has finally figured out that he can't pick up every pretty girl in need and take care of her. That's burned him several times now, and he's finished with it. Good.

Now we'll have to see how Margaret's character has changed as a result of the breakup with Nucky.

Not that race/culture wasn't already a simmering fire in Boardwalk Empire, but this episode was just full of it. In that opening 10 minutes you've got a white woman making a pass at Purnsley, Dickie making comments about black performers, Eddie Kessler's old German charm taking care of New World Irish Nucky, and then a tense room divided between the Italian, Irish, and Jewish gangsters. Jebus.

That was a shoe? I thought Purnsley
killed him with the broken portion of that bottle he initially hit him with.

Great to have the show back, and I enjoyed the episode despite some of the hand-holding. Once the engine-checking gangster in the intro stopped making a sound, I immediately knew it was Harrow.

As soon as the camera zoomed in on the talent scout's wife (before she ever asked for a drink), you got the sense she would be
sleeping with someone at the Onyx.
The way she later clued Purnsley in was well extra. Her initial nod would have sufficed.

The bumbling Fed agent was
obviously faking it, though I expected him to be the one to kill his partner (directly), as opposed to the way it actually unfolded.

Chalk Harrow up to a lucky guess, but the other two instances could have done with a bit more subtlety.

Eddie, Nucky's right-hand-man, is so awesome. Telling those two apes to turn aside with a flick of the hand. Lovely.
He's one of the most loyal and reliable characters on TV, and although he saved Nucky's life, Nucky still treats him like a nuisance.

jvm

Gamasutra.
·feist·;80740297 said:
That was a shoe? I thought Purnsley
killed him with the broken portion of that bottle he initially hit him with.
That was a reference to the Capone boys wrestling, I believe. He did use a broken bottle.

·feist·;80740297 said:
He's one of the most loyal and reliable characters on TV, and although he saved Nucky's life, Nucky still treats him like a nuisance.
I think Nucky's annoyance was more at Eddie not letting him put on his own jacket, when he knew it was painful for Eddie. But, yes, he still is the boss and Eddie is the servant. They know their places.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Great season opener. Sad that this show doesn't get more love around here. Very professionally done.

Helmholtz

Pretty damn good episode. The Harrow scenes, the Purnsley scenes, and the Capone scenes were pretty incredible. Really wish Gillian would take a hike though, can't stand her.
There was a lot more tension in this episode than there was in Breaking Bad's, in my opinion.

jvm

Gamasutra.
This show desperately needs a good female character. Is the problem that there weren't enough to choose from in the given time and location in which the show is set? :|

I unfortunately can't find the cumulative ratings for the first two seasons,
YET
, but apparently season 3 averaged 8 million viewers across all platforms.

Hmm, that's definitely more than I would've guessed.

-----------------

Nice episode tonight.
-Beautifully shot as always
-Harrow remains a very interesting character, and his scenes were intriguing tonight.
-Brothers Thompson operation is nice. As a big Eli fan, I was really glad to see where the end of season 3 took Eli and Nucky's relationship and pleased to see where it picked up here.
-Fucking lol'd at the napkin drawing
-Capone is awesome as always, can't wait to see more of him this season.
-Eddie: "You're supposed to leave leave" lol

Lots of interesting seeds set tonight, really looking forward to Wright's character being introduced. Gillian is still the worst though, ugh

demolitio

This was one awesome day for me. The start of football and the start of Boardwalk on top of another episode of Breaking Bad and a few other shows? It's hard to not be entertained on a day like today.

I laughed at the woman thinking she could automatically get on Broadway just like that. That was a good time to have Eddie come out.

Nizz

Awesome to have the show back. I thought this episode was a nice start to the new season. Always feels like I'm watching an hour long movie with this show, it's shot beautifully and has really great production values.

I thought Lucky was in trouble with the law at the end of last season? I must have really missed something since it's been so long since I watched last season's finale. So many great characters like Chalky, Capone and Nucky. Was funny seeing how Nucky treated the girl looking for her big break. He's not going for that like he did with Billie last season.

Awesome to have the show back. I thought this episode was a nice start to the new season. Always feels like I'm watching an hour long movie with this show, it's shot beautifully and has really great production values.

I thought Lucky was in trouble with the law at the end of last season? I must have really missed something since it's been so long since I watched last season's finale. So many great characters like Chalky, Capone and Nucky. Was funny seeing how Nucky treated the girl looking for her big break. He's not going for that like he did with Billie last season.

It's not just that. Looks like he needs emotional attachment now instead of just someone to fuck. He's sick of being used, he was looking at that Florida shit when he left the chick (presumably that's where Maggie is now)

Great to see Richard back home. God damn he was a silent ninja with the opening kills. Really liked the racial scenes with chalky's boy, that shit was messed up. And also I hope we see more from Eli's son

Helmholtz

I have a question. Was the guy who caught Purnsley going to kill Purnsley, or was he going to masturbate or something? I was a little unclear of his motivations. Did Purnsley kill him because of the racist shit the guy said, or was it in self defense?

I have a question. Was the guy who caught Purnsley going to kill Purnsley, or was he going to masturbate or something? I was a little unclear of his motivations. Did Purnsley kill him because of the racist shit the guy said, or was it in self defense?

He wanted to watch and jack off (it seems like his wife was in on it in the end, maybe?) Purnsley killed him because of the racist shit he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom