• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bob Dylan's entire 1966 Tour to be released in 36 CD set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because CD sales continually fall and vinyl sales are going up. I could potentially see a future, like 20 years from now, where CDs are either super niche or nonexistent and vinyl is the preferred physical medium (basically a flip of the situation now). Everyone else streams or buys digital.

I'm obsessed with music and own hundreds of CDs but haven't bought one in probably five years.

Yeah, but I don't understand the astonishment over this being released as it is. This specific collection needed a physical release and it's comprehensible it's coming out on CD since the idea of a 36 live album set by Bob Dylan being released on vinyl sounds hipster as fuck and then probably misses the target audience.

Tenebrous

Because CD sales continually fall and vinyl sales are going up. I could potentially see a future, like 20 years from now, where CDs are either super niche or nonexistent and vinyl is the preferred physical medium (basically a flip of the situation now). Everyone else streams or buys digital.

I'm obsessed with music and own hundreds of CDs but haven't bought one in probably five years.

CD outsells digital & vinyl in the UK with only streaming coming out ahead. With how cheap CDs are to make & distribute, I see them lasting for quite a long time.

Bleepey

I'll take this chance to ask you guys: If I've never listened to Bob Dylan, where should I start? I'd love a list of his best work.

I'd get a greatest hits album, there are like 1000 of them. So just get one like the "essential Bob Dylan" which has most bang for buck.

If you're looking for full albums, Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde, and Blood on the Tracks are all top-tier.

If you're just wanting songs, oh boy, where to begin...

This person nails it. Listen to all those a few times. Bob will become one of your favorites.

Zach

I'd add John Wesley Harding to that list, but yeah. You can't go wrong with those.

Man, John Wesley Harding was a hard one for me to get into. In fact, I think Nashville Skyline is a much more accessible album, if you're okay with some country music in your life.

Man, John Wesley Harding was a hard one for me to get into. In fact, I think Nashville Skyline is a much more accessible album, if you're okay with some country music in your life.

It took me a while to get into as well because Bob's voice changed so suddenly (not counting The Basement Tapes, it was his first album after the motorcycle accident). My first reaction was literally, "How is this the same guy who sang on Blonde on Blonde?". But with classics like All Along the Watchtower and The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest, it quickly became one of my favorites.

I do think Nashville Skyline is underrated (Lay Lady Lay is a favorite). New Morning and Planet Waves, too.

Tenebrous

Nashville Skyline & Another Side Of are both god-tier albums. Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You is one of my favourite romantic songs of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom