• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bold prediction: Sony will sell The PS gaming Division before the end of 2024

To whom Sony will sell it’s Gaming division

• Apple

Votes: 28 7.6%
  • Google

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • Amazon

Votes: 25 6.8%
  • Tencent

Votes: 24 6.5%
  • Op is a nut, they have a rubber butt and every time they post it goes put-put

Votes: 283 77.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

b6a6es

Banned
Bookmark this,

At this moment right now, Sony is receiving major deal offers in which Sony might split-off Sony Interactive Entertainment and sell it alongside it’s properties to a Trillion$+ company :

Amazon,Google,Tencent,or even Apple (I didn’t mention Microsoft due to the higher possibility of anti-trust, buying a major publisher activision isnt even close to buying a competitor when it comes to anti-trust regulations)

dW3xmyW.jpg

Also keep in mind that Sony did sell off some of it’s major assets not long ago (Sony Online Entertainment, Vaio business, GNS Mobile just last year!), so as grim as it is, realistically the possibility is very real at this point.

Last edited:

pratyush

They wont sell. But we might see Apple or someone big collaborate with them.

I predict we will see Call of Duty type game on PS pretty soon

b6a6es

Banned

Consolidation in the gaming industry has already started, this is pretty much a do or die situation, where they could get out of this rabbit-hole while the PS business still valuable
If Sony is smart, they wont sell. Ever.
I don’t think they have a choice, unless they plan for Playstation to become a software-only brand, which I can’t even imagine the PR nightmare that might follow them for years…

Last edited:

Hugare

The Playstation brand is stronger than ever

Every new IP sells more than 10M

People would be buying PS5s like hotcakes if it werent for the chip shortage

And Sony is a japanese company. They wouldnt be sold so essily to an american company.

Some of you are shook with this acquisition, but seriously, take a deep breath

"Consolidation is a thing now, its a do or die situation". Yeah, Nintendo will break any day now.

Last edited:

b6a6es

Banned
And Sony is a japanese company. They wouldnt be sold so essily to an american company.
Their PS division has been a western division since 2016, and Sony has sold it’s assets in the past like Sony online entertainment & GSN Mobile very recently

The Playstation brand is stronger than ever

believe it or not, the vast majority of PS revenue/MAU/Engagement comes from MP GaaS games with MTX, Specifically with games like call of duty, selling the brand and gaining the most out of it before it sinks would be a wise move.
Some of you are shook with this acquisition, but seriously, take a deep breath

"Consolidation is a thing now, its a do or die situation". Yeah, Nintendo will break any day now.
Unlike Sony, the vast majority of people who buy Nintendo consoles Specifically for Nintendo IP’s, the Pokemon IP alone is worth more than Entirety of Marvel & Starwars combined….

b6a6es

Banned
Can u guys hit me up with that thing you all are having? Y'all are high as fuck or panicking just because M$ bought another publisher/studio
This isn’t your typical Bethesda/Ubisoft stuff, this is literally the acquisition of The very thing that makes money not only for PS, But Sony as whole! (Only Fortnite’s left)

Last edited:
Take Two just bought Zynga for a boatload of cash. Sony is way bigger than Take Two. They are big enough that they can purchase a couple big publishers. I am anticipating they get SE within the next year.

Not anytime soon. Maybe if gaming goes away from console hardware and they feel like they can't compete with the big players on streaming or Metaverse or whatever gets big.

Barakov

Bookmark this,

At this moment right now, Sony is receiving major offers in which Sony might split-off Sony Interactive Entertainment and sell it alongside it’s properties to a Trillion$+ company :

Amazon,Google,Tencent,or even Apple (I didn’t mention Microsoft due to the higher possibility of anti-trust, buying a major publisher activision isnt even close to buying a competitor when it comes to anti-trust regulations)

dW3xmyW.jpg

Also keep in mind that Sony did sell off some of it’s major assets not long ago (Sony Online Entertainment, Vaio business, GNS Mobile just last year!), so as grim as it is, realistically the possibility is very real at this point.
Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

Playstation is one of the most profitable parts of Sony. Playstation isn't going anywhere.
I guess the question is, is Sony's 1st party strong enough to carry them almost entirely ala Nintendo? For $70 a pop?
Fair point. I think Playstation's mission now should to be probably scalp/hire some people to bring some franchises back from the grave.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I really don’t want this to happen, but what a turn of events it would be if it ended up that it was Sony that sold its gaming division after the years of speculation That Xbox is failing MS and they will probably sell off the Xbox division.

honestly though, if Sony, Nintendo or MS sold off their gaming devisions it would be tough for it to still feel like it had the same magic. I think it would cripple the business tbh.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, I can see it happening. This wouldve been an insane post two years ago, but now, it's entirely possible.

The question is will Sony Japan give their PS division $20-40 billion to buy western companies like Take 2 and Ubisoft, and why? Why spend so much on gaming when you are not going to see the returns? Their revenue is going to decrease so why spend $40 billion more?

The answer is no, they wont. They wont merge with a western company either and Nintendo doesn't need their help. So they will spin it off and sell it to the highest bidder.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Haha if you're Sony Corp. you don't sell off your most lucrative division and leave yourself with the also-rans. It would be an all or nothing type of situation and you'd swear up and down that the other ventures are very valuable to.

But yeah, no this isn't even a factor right now. Not even a thought. But Sony will have to make changes to their industry approach for long-term.

b6a6es

Banned
So what would be the benefit of buying Sony anyway, I wonder.
To compete with MS as a Tillion$+ company like amazon or apple, in a few years gaming as a business will go from your traditional console wars to Multi-trillion$ conglomerate bloodbath for the Metaverse goldrush!

If you think the Fox/Warnermedia acquisition was scary ? Just take a Look at this

LOeOf3Q.jpg

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Lol.

People have lost their minds.

Sony will be fine. Microsoft buying Activision isn't a death sentence for PlayStation. The deal isn't going to be final until 2023, and even then a lot of Activision games won't be exclusive to Microsoft platforms.

Microsoft also didn't drop that money just to improve their console sales and GP subs. The two major reasons they paid that sort of money for Activision was because they want a bigger slice of the lucrative mobile gaming market and to set themselves up for the metaverse.

Mobile gaming and the metaverse are far more important to Microsoft than Xbox and console gaming.

Sony will be fine in the console space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom