• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOMBA. Mortal Kombat = $30 next week at Toys R Us [Portal 2 Also @ GameStop/KMart]

Monocle

Grady Durden said:
I've live chatted with two reps to no avail.
Same here. I'm starting to think that if things don't change soon, my only recourse is public nudity.

Edit: I just started my third chat session and the employees all say the same thing: "I'll check that for you." Don't check it, dude, just give me my blasted money.

On my third try this is what I got:

You are now connected to Manisha from Amazon.com.
Me:price Match Inquiry
Manisha:Hello, my name is Manisha. I'll be happy to help you today.
Me:Hello good afternoon
Manisha:Good Afternoon
How can I help you regarding price match /
Me:My friends just told me that Amazon price matched a coupon from Toys R Us for this game that I just purchased that saved them $10. I was hoping to get the same deal. I have a picture of the coupon that I can provide if necessary.
I would really prefer to not have to cancel my order and take my business elsewhere.
Manisha:I am so sorry amazon never price match because we don't have any price match policy but as you are our loyal customer so as an one time exception I can issue you a $10 promo that you can use on your future purchases on the items sold & ship by amazon.com.
Me:That is fair. Thank you very much.
Manisha:Your welcome
Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Me:That is all, I really appreciate your help. Have a great day.
Manisha:I'll send you the confirmation e-mail after issuing the promo.
Me:Thanks again.
Manisha:Its my pleasure to help you :)
Thanks for visiting Amazon.com. Have a nice day
Your welcome

Not exactly what I wanted but it comes out in the wash so whatever.

PsychoRaven said:
Goddamn I love a deal. That 34.99 on Amazon was just too damn good to pass up. Nothing like buying PS3 version which comes with the PC version. So I'm getting two copies for the price of one.

It is a great deal. I never even got into Portal much but I couldn't pass it up.

ElRenoRaven

zero margin said:
It is a great deal. I never even got into Portal much but I couldn't pass it up.
I actually just finished the first on XBLA the other day. I had gotten to the second or third to last test chamber and had gotten stuck there way back when it came out. I finally went back and finished the game and was floored. The best part was that last quarter of the game.

From what I have read and seen of two it looks like it's going to be a billion times better.

Monocle

Seems like I might have made some progress with that third chat.

You are now connected to Manish from Amazon.com.

Me: I ordered Mortal Kombat yesterday. Amazon honored this coupon for my friends: http://i.imgur.com/uuLdy.png and I'd like the same credit. 2:25:25 PM

Manish: Hello, my name is Manish. I'll be happy to help you. 2:27:33 PM

Manish: I will check it for you. 2:27:38 PM

Me: Thanks. 2:28:02 PM

Manish: Have you placed the order? 2:28:22 PM

Me: I have. 2:29:21 PM

Manish: Give the order number. 2:30:00 PM

Me: [redacted] 2:30:12 PM

Manish: What kind of credit it it, That your fried got? 2:30:51 PM

Me: A $10 credit for the price difference. The game is $30 with the coupon. 2:31:18 PM

Manish: Thank you, Let me check it. Give me a moment. 2:34:26 PM

Me: Sure, thanks. 2:34:32 PM

Manish: Thanks for waiting. 2:38:08 PM

Manish: I checked and I am going to send this concern to the marketing team department they will check and if it would be eligible they will get you promo. 2:38:11 PM

Me: I appreciate that. 2:38:28 PM

Manish: Thank you. 2:38:43 PM

Manish: Is there anything else I can do for you today? 2:38:44 PM

Me: I don't believe so. Thanks for your assistance.
I think I'm done for today. If nothing happens I'll try this a couple more times tomorrow and then bite the bullet.

Do all the copies of Mortal Kombat at TRU come with the Kitana DLC code? (I'm guessing it's YMMV)

If not:

- is there any way to tell by looking at the box if it has the code or not
- if there's no distinguishing factors to know before you purchase whether or not the code is included, what are the chances of getting one randomly? (high, low, etc.)

Qaz Kwaz

Banned
MikeE21286 said:
Do all the copies of Mortal Kombat at TRU come with the Kitana DLC code? (I'm guessing it's YMMV)

If not:

- is there any way to tell by looking at the box if it has the code or not
- if there's no distinguishing factors to know before you purchase whether or not the code is included, what are the chances of getting one randomly? (high, low, etc.)

There's a little sticker on the bottom of the front.

Kintaco

Just got shot down even after I had placed the order. I didn't even get humored with that "let me check" line either. :( Oh well, time to cancel and check out Toys R Us.

Update:

Went back to Toys R Us today after buying it on Friday for $40 ($50 minus $10 coupon). Went to the games department and started waiting in line, two people in front of me were looking for MK on PS3 but they were all sold out (they still had Xbox copies though)... when I got up there the girl remembered me from Friday and said just go over to customer service with your receipt. Went over there, gave her my receipt, explained the situation, and then had to give her another, new, coupon. She handed me $10.86... funnily enough there was some other dude right behind me in customer service who started asking me about the game, apparently he was trying to buy the PS3 version today but it was sold out, he was a CAGer and we talked for a while about fighting games and PSN downtime.

TLDR: Went back to Toys R Us with my receipt from Friday and a new $10 off coupon - got the rest of the discount. Final cost: $33.78 with tax.

This is in the Toys R Us in NYC on Times Square FYI (don't go there looking for the PS3 game, they're out)

woodypop

$30 Mortal Kombat and $35 Portal 2 get!

Went to the one Toys R Us in town with any PS3 MK's still in stock. Electronics register clerk knew exactly what I was in for. She said she sold like 15 copies already today and only had a few left, expecting to sell out soon. She even had the coupon ready to scan. lol

Then went to Best Buy and had them price match Kmart's price for PS3 Portal 2.

Awesome deals! w00t!

Cheech

Gooster said:
Two reps said no. Not a big deal. I'd still rather deal with Amazon than TRU, frankly.

Yeah, my TrU are anal retentive as all get out. I paid my 39.99 for MK on Amazon, and I LIKED it. Really looking forward to dusting off my Hori Arcade Pro EX. Bought it for my 360 like a year or two back, used it for a month, and mothballed it.

This is gonna be sweet. I don't suppose all the moves and fatalities are right on the instruction book. Hahahaahah

Hex

Banned
Wario64 said:
Do all Toys R Us copies have the Kitana code? You guys could knock off another $10-20 on eBay

Keeping mine, but if you are going to ebay them I would suggest doing it quickly with some buy it now action because Ebay will get flooded soon.

Went to Toys R Us in my town, totally sold out of the PS3 version (still had 360 copies though) but I found the magazine with the coupon. Had the clerk order it for me online and they'll give me the $10 coupon off once it arrives.

Hopefully it'll arrive on Friday so that I can get the $10 off on Saturday.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hex said:
Keeping mine, but if you are going to ebay them I would suggest doing it quickly with some buy it now action because Ebay will get flooded soon.

Seems flooded already if they're going for that cheap, apparently they were $50-100 before

Pride

Haven't read all 8 pages but both of these early discounts had to have been planned some time ago as retailers typically have a 30 day lead time on printing. Valve has a track record of early price drops (L4D2 was $39.99 less than 2 weeks after it launched). Not 100% sure why Valve does this but I believe I read somewhere that they didnt believe short term price promotions had a long term impact on game sales.

RobbieNick

Picked up Portal 2 Yesterday. Bought it at GameStop and traded Killzone 2 towards it. With the discounted price and a 25% increase in trade towards Portal 2. So total, I got $36 for Killzone 3. Almost an even trade!

I went to Toys R Us at lunch at 10:30 AM this morning and got the very last copy of Mortal Kombat for PS3. They had plenty of the Gamer Magazine with the $10 coupon. Damn. Barely over a week old and half price!

Kintaco

Damn PS3 version is sold out everywhere, I wonder if I can pick up the Xbox360 version and trade it for the PS3 version once they get more stock?

woodypop

Kintaco said:
Damn PS3 version is sold out everywhere, I wonder if I can pick up the Xbox360 version and trade it for the PS3 version once they get more stock?
Hmm...I don't see why not, especially if you get a gift receipt and later say you received it for the wrong system.

Pride said:
Haven't read all 8 pages but both of these early discounts had to have been planned some time ago as retailers typically have a 30 day lead time on printing. Valve has a track record of early price drops (L4D2 was $39.99 less than 2 weeks after it launched). Not 100% sure why Valve does this but I believe I read somewhere that they didnt believe short term price promotions had a long term impact on game sales.
From Steam, Valve knows that revenue can increase with the right sale price, and they also know that sales go up even AFTER a sale is over.

Kintaco

woodypop said:
Hmm...I don't see why not, especially if you get a gift receipt and later say you received it for the wrong system.
Well I found a PS3 copy about an hour away, so I ordered it for in store pick up since I'm going to be in the area on Wednesday celebrating my wife's birthday.

JABEE

Amazon has raised their price for Morrtal Kombat up to 49.99. I was thinking about buying it at the previous price.

h3ro

JABEE said:
Amazon has raised their price for Morrtal Kombat up to 49.99. I was thinking about buying it at the previous price.

Those are third party sellers.

The Amazon price is still $39.99, but they don't have it in stock. You can buy it for that price and wait for them to restock if you want to lock that price in and don't mind waiting. You can see Amazon's price on the right hand side of the screen.

JABEE

h3ro said:
Those are third party sellers.

The Amazon price is still $39.99, but they don't have it in stock. You can buy it for that price and wait for them to restock if you want to lock that price in and don't mind waiting. You can see Amazon's price on the right hand side of the screen.
Thanks!
Edit: It says it will take 2-3 weeks to ship. Is there any chance they'd get more in this week?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Wario64 said:
If Amazon matches, it'll only just be the $40 price since that's the ad sale price. The coupon just sweetens the deal
Amazon's already selling MK for $40. (Or they were when I saw the price and caved.)

mbmonk

I just wanted to thank the OP for posting this. I got MK for $34 at Toys R Us today. I went by there Sunday but they were sold out of the PS3 version. I went back today and they had a couple in stock, and the manager made sure I got the coupon out of the magazine before I checked out. Very Cool.

Snoopy Feet dance!

fernoca

Freshmaker said:
Amazon's already selling MK for $40. (Or they were when I saw the price and caved.)
Yeah, Amazon pricematched the Toys R Us deal. Keep in mind that what you replied to; is from a few days ago (April 28); Amazon pricematched the game(s) on May 1st. :p

TrAcEr_x90 said:
does it have free shipping?
Yep. Free Super Saver.

woodypop

Dark Octave said:
Is the TrU sale over, because I'm looking at MK 360 right now and it says $59.99 and the clerk had no clue about a sale.
No, it should still be on sale. Even the website says so.

woodypop said:
No, it should still be on sale. Even the website says so.
So I just walked away from a $40 MK.

Oh well, they didn't have the PS3 version and I would have prefered that one anyway.

But still...

FrankT

Took advantage of the Gamestop Portal 2 deal. I cannot recall them ever not having a copy of any 360 game I've wanted in stock. They had 1 left and she had to search awhile for that. Plenty of store credit so no worries on this one. Already started the game and I can tell it will be worth my time much like the first.

Top Bottom