• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 5, 2016

Mokubba

Weird that Gravity Rush got a limited print when the game was £20. That's impulse buy territory

Maybe they thought it'll be another Tearaway unfolded but I can't remember how much that sold in PAL land.

Let's see how it charts digitally but only hope for GR2 now is probably a PS+ release before the sequel.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Gravity Rush is a niche title that is priced matched on digital so I can see a lot of people just bought it off the store.

How is being price matched at launch good for a download version? You get less rights for the same price, so I don't see why being the same price as retail is a particularly strong reason for GR to have sold strongly on the PS Store.

Alo0oy

Banned
It did 25k in it's first week in Japan (where the original opened with 43k on Vita) and then it was never seen in the chart again.

And that represents about 2 million of the PS4 userbase.

We can't make a definitive statement either way about how a game did WW based on a single market, that's never accurate. The only thing we know is that it bombed in the UK and underperformed in Japan.

Did you know that video games exist outside NA and the UK? You know what's even weirder? They exist outside of Europe too.

We continue to have this conversation every single time a game underperforms in a single market, some people continually fail to comprehend that there are people that exist outside their little bubble.

EDIT: This is isn't about Gravity Rush as that game likely won't do well, it's how people continue to dismiss more than half the gaming market because those markets don't exist in their bubble. People were calling MS liars for saying TR sold 1 million because it didn't sell those in the US bubble.

Gravity Rush bombed as expected.

Spoiler alert: GR2 will suffer the same fate.

And no I'm not glad for it, just Sony doesn't give a fuck about it, nor Tearaway. Makes you wonder why they even bothered. They can't have made much profit here if anything at all.

It's a limited release. You probably won't see many copies in discount bins.

Tearaway was a disappointment. This is as per expectations.

EGM1966

GR was never going to get much of a push at retail really. At its price and as a remaster they're probably banking more on digital sales and slow/steady drip sales to cover porting costs and then they'll likely push it out as a PSN Plus title a little ahead of GR2 launch.

I'm actually surprised they released it on disk at all TBH.

GR was never going to set the charts on fire but most of its sales are digital so it's foolish to say the game flopped.
Nice debut for Digimon.

Carl

I preordered Gravity Rush about 2 weeks before release and my copy isn't expected until the end of Feb. So obviously it was a very limited initial release. Not saying it'll do any better when stocked because it won't... But still

Elandyll

Banned
Gravity Rush bombed as expected.

Spoiler alert: GR2 will suffer the same fate.

And no I'm not glad for it, just Sony doesn't give a fuck about it, nor Tearaway. Makes you wonder why they even bothered. They can't have made much profit here if anything at all.
GR was probably only ever going to be a digital release, until they saw the demand for physical and decided they would probably break even on it by partnering with local partners (like Amazon in the US).
I'll go further and say that the remaster of GR was probably never meant to be a big success on its own, but was made in order for GR2 to have the potential to be.
Wouldn't surprise me if GR digital is offered as a pre order incentive with GR2 or comes along bundled with tbh, which might have been the goal from the start, but then they saw bigger potential and earnings in doing a separate release.

I'm honestly surprised it charted at all given the limited physical release, and I think (but again I'm an optimist) that it bodes well for GR2.

Percy

Banned
Was there anyone actually thinking Gravity Rush was going to do big business or something? Not only a late port, but a late port of a handheld game. Recipe for disaster. I mean, I bought it personally, but lets be real here. Should've waited and bundled it with the sequel to make that a more enticing release rather than releasing it solo imo.

wtf at Digimon though... how did that do so well?

T.O.P

Banned
giphy.gif

Cyber Sleuth 2 with a bigger budget and home console focused release

nghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

DrWong

I drop it here as it's relevant to PAL charts.
My boss attended the yearly GFK conference in Paris last week and he decided to share his thoughts (criticism) about its relevancy (and irrelevancy) to the digital PC market.

It's translated from French:
Open letter to “Les Guignols de l’info”!

I had the honor of being invited to the 2016 GfK Entertainment Conference in Paris, during which the fourth biggest institute of market research in the world depicts to an audience of decision makers some key patterns and trends about the entertainment market in France.

It was very professional, it was the epitome of PowerPoint presentations and we learned a lot of exciting things!

Examples of what we have learned:
- the book market in France is 2x larger than the video games market (4bn€ vs. 2bn€)
- within the tops of 20 top-selling entertainment products in France there is 1 comic (The Papyrus of Caesar), 2 video games (FIFA 2016, Call of Duty Black Ops III), 2 records (Louane and Adele 25), a book (50 shades of Grey), etc…
- entertainment markets are dominated by physical formats, decreasing… but simply boosted by digital sales

Very interesting but also false.

Why is this wrong (at least for video games)?
More at the link: https://medium.com/@pierref/open-letter-to-les-guignols-de-l-info-baf419d20aca#.y3tklo2kl

Rymuth

I think Gravity Rush will be in the TOP 20 at least.
That's fair, Germany has been kind to Sony 1st party IP.
It's a genuinely good JRPG and the fans are extremely passionate and won't stop talking about it
This is true. I know I've picked it up because of how good the WOM™ has been and I've never watched a single episode of Digimon. Even shopkeeps where I live were surprised at the demand.

El-Suave

I'm surprised to hear that GR seems to be such a limited release in the UK. We're talking about a platform holder of a hugely successful console and a a big publisher in a big market even if it's hostile to this kind of game. They may have been burnt by Tearaway but that released at another price point and quite frankly if much smaller companies take much bigger risks when they put out late ports of succesful games that they don't own and that have already done most of their business on other platforms (This War of Mine, Brothers, Republique and countless others), Sony should be able to do better than running out of stock immediately. Nobody is asking for big marketing pushes or anything.

I'm surprised to hear that GR seems to be such a limited release in the UK. We're talking about a platform holder of a hugely successful console and a a big publisher in a big market even if it's hostile to this kind of game. They may have been burnt by Tearaway but that released at another price point and quite frankly if much smaller companies take much bigger risks when they put out late ports of succesful games that they don't own and that have already done most of their business on other platforms (This War of Mine, Brothers, Republique and countless others), Sony should be able to do better than running out of stock immediately. Nobody is asking for big marketing pushes or anything.

SCEA didn't want to release the game physically at all! SCE west has ZERO faith in the franchise and doesn't care at all.
But you could say that about anything SCEJ does. Remember Demon's Souls?

I am surprised GRR charted at all. I wasn't expecting it to. Sales will more than likely be higher digitally so with this being a remaster, I think it is okay overall. I am curious to see how Sony will promote GR2 though.

Well done, Digimon. Always good to see Japanese games charting nicely. I would like to know overall sales instead of just focusing on positions though.

AyanFaust

Banned
Wait what? i always thought they were all like the first game, didn't even give 'em a chance because of that lol

Oh well :/
Digimon world 3 is actually pretty great. I'd definitely try it If you can

Cyber sleuth doing well is a very nice surprise. I've been following the game since before the localization announcement, and I've put in about 44 hours over the last 5 days. It's such an addicting game. Anyone who likes a good JRPG with one of the better monster raising aspects in games should give it a go.
However, the localizagion, while not bad, Does have some problems. Not as bad as SAO HF, but still some noticeable ones.at least it seems fine when the story gets going.

L95

Wait what? i always thought they were all like the first game, didn't even give 'em a chance because of that lol

Oh well :/

Nope, DMW2 is a dungeon crawler like.... Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, kinda. DMW3 is a JRPG.

Sony with the aggressive marketing for GR i see.

amazing to see Cyber sleuth up that high. hopefully WOM keeps it up there next week.

I'm surprised that people think Sony should have pushed GR more. Yea, a sequel is going to come out. So what?

And hell, I'm all for less physical releases and marketing pushes if it means that the sales requirements for these games to get made drops.

Because I don't remotely believe that titles like GR and Tearaway would bring in the sales required to offset the costs of full on physical releases and marketing that many expect. They would just bomb harder.

Mokubba

I'm surprised that people think Sony should have pushed GR more. Yea, a sequel is going to come out. So what?

And hell, I'm all for less physical releases and marketing pushes if it means that the sales requirements for these games to get made drops.

Because I don't remotely believe that titles like GR and Tearaway would bring in the sales required to offset the costs of full on physical releases and marketing that many expect. They would just bomb harder.

If people are interested in this game then surely they would buy the sequel so pushing the first game is a good idea.

I'm pretty sure the Uncharted Collection has brought in a lot of new fans and it's going to help with Uncharted 4 sales. I still see it doing well on Amazon UK and Amazon US so it must be getting good WOM too.

I don't think the problem is marketing since in this case the problem is SCEE not having shipped enough copies. They did all I expected to be honest which is highlighting it a few times on the PS blog and I also got an email dedicated to the game prior to release.

I don't think anyone is expecting adverts in newspapers or on TV for a remaster of a Vita game.

If people are interested in this game then surely they would buy the sequel so pushing the first game is a good idea.

I'm pretty sure the Uncharted Collection has brought in a lot of new fans and it's going to help with Uncharted 4 sales. I still see it doing well on Amazon UK and Amazon US so it must be getting good WOM too.

I don't think the problem is marketing since in this case the problem is SCEE not having shipped enough copies. They did all I expected to be honest which is highlighting it a few times on the PS blog and I also got an email dedicated to the game prior to release.

I don't think anyone is expecting adverts in newspapers or on TV for a remaster of a Vita game.

UC collection is a good example of this. It's arguably one of the biggest franchises of PS and it was around 200k in the NPD without bundles and that collection was advertising.

What do people really expect GR to pull with bigger advertising and a bigger retail presence? That's what I'm saying. No where near enough copies to justify the expenditure.

I fully agree.

I am not sure why a remastered Vita game with a seemingly limited physical release ,which got little to no promotion, is supposed to light up the charts or even do notably well on the charts.

Sony is prioritizing profit and they can get it by handling it the way they are. This title wasn't going to sell much more with a greater amount of physical copies and greater marketing. They would just be wasting money. Let GR2 get all that stuff if they plan to broaden the IP.

BKK

That's the highest charting Digimon since the first PAL release (most didn't even enter the Top 40).

Week 27, 2001 - All Formats (Units)

01 (NE) Onimusha: Warlords (Capcom) [PS2]
02 (01) Super Mario Advance (Nintendo) [GBA]
03 (03) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (Activision) [GBA / PSone / Dreamcast / PC]
04 (06) Pokémon Gold (Nintendo) [GBC]
05 (02) Red Faction (THQ) [PS2]
06 (04) Operation Flashpoint (Codemasters) [PC]
07 (NE) Digimon World (Infogrames) [PSone]
08 (07) Pokémon Silver (Nintendo) [GBC]
09 (05) Diablo II: Lords Of Destruction (Universal Interactive) [PC]
10 (08) Alone In The Dark: The New Nightmare (Infogrames) [GBC / Dreamcast / PSone / PC]

Very, very happy to see Digimon debuting well. Disappointed at GR until I read the reasons why it charted so low. I did my part buying the physical version, so I hope it does okay on NPD when creamsugar leaks the numbers.

I think you make a good point. At the end of the day, Sony wants to make money from the remaster, not lose money. Hopefully, the remaster, at least, grabs some more new players and when GR2 comes out, Sony provides a good marketing push.

Alo0oy

Banned
That's the highest charting Digimon since the first PAL release (most didn't even enter the Top 40).

Week 27, 2001 - All Formats (Units)

01 (NE) Onimusha: Warlords (Capcom) [PS2]
02 (01) Super Mario Advance (Nintendo) [GBA]
03 (03) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (Activision) [GBA / PSone / Dreamcast / PC]
04 (06) Pokémon Gold (Nintendo) [GBC]
05 (02) Red Faction (THQ) [PS2]
06 (04) Operation Flashpoint (Codemasters) [PC]
07 (NE) Digimon World (Infogrames) [PSone]
08 (07) Pokémon Silver (Nintendo) [GBC]
09 (05) Diablo II: Lords Of Destruction (Universal Interactive) [PC]
10 (08) Alone In The Dark: The New Nightmare (Infogrames) [GBC / Dreamcast / PSone / PC]

That really doesn't tell us anything, one week's #5 could sell as well as another week's #30.

tzare

The good thing about GR sales is that it may be part of PSN+ at some point. Hopefully before GR2 is released so it could help a bit

Hmm GR doing about what I expected so not surprised.

Hopefully Sony make some money off the remaster, I get why they didn't go all out on a remastered niche vita game. The numbers didn't add up obviously.
I'm confident in GR2 doing a whole lot better though.

EDIT: This is isn't about Gravity Rush as that game likely won't do well, it's how people continue to dismiss more than half the gaming market because those markets don't exist in their bubble. People were calling MS liars for saying TR sold 1 million because it didn't sell those in the US bubble.

Not to say that MS was lying about TR numbers but the console is pretty much dead outside US/UK so not exactly an apples to apples comparison there.

But a fair point you bring up about bubbles nonetheless.

France

Enjoy!

Top 20 with numbers, units and value, multi and SKU. (without bundles and digital)

747k gen 8 handheld sold in 2015. 686k for the 3DS according to Nintendo = 61k for the Vita.

The SELL will publish his 20th anniversary report soon (before march, maybe next week) with the best-selling games for every year since 1997. Still not sure if it will be with numbers.

It received an incredibly limited release in the UK. As I said in the previous PAL thread, there were very few places you could actually pre-order the physical version until about three weeks ago when it finally started appearing on sites other than GAME. I don't know why Sony insisted on treating it like such an afterthought when there's a sequel on the way.

To be honest I didn't even know their was a physical copy of Gravity Rush.

I just bought it digital. Great game too.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
France

Enjoy!

Top 20 with numbers, units and value, multi and SKU. (without bundles and digital)

747k gen 8 handheld sold in 2015. 686k for the 3DS according to Nintendo = 61k for the Vita.

The SELL will publish his 20th anniversary report soon (before march, maybe next week) with the best-selling games for every year since 1997. Still not sure if it will be with numbers.

Wow, that's awesome! Wait for the charts. :D

Also 3DS outsold PSV by 11:1 in France in 2015, damn.

Rymuth

France

Enjoy!

200k for Splatoon is some fine work.

Such a huge jump between #2 and #3, I had to do a double-take.

Top Bottom