• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOOOOOOM-SHAKA-LAKA! EA ANNOUNCES NBA JAM

FoneBone said:
Nobody else has seen the article today? My local game store had a shitload of copies. Yes, the players all have photos for heads. I was just flipping through quickly, though, and I cant tell you about online one way or the other.
Nice. :D

Haunted

FoneBone said:
Nobody else has seen the article today? My local game store had a shitload of copies. Yes, the players all have photos for heads. I was just flipping through quickly, though, and I cant tell you about online one way or the other.
lol wut

GDGF

Soothsayer
Seriously, this is going to be sweet. They could not have picked a better path for the graphics than this. It's brilliant.

(the game is really going to stand out now too, and that's a good thing)

Zep

Banned
Really would be the perfect summer game..

Its gonna be funny that NBA Jam will have better gameplay than both sim titles. Hope the game has a crossover button..It wouldn't hurt to add.

spoon!

FoneBone said:
That sounds fucking awesome :lol

Firestorm

If anyone is in the Greater Vancouver Region, it looks like they'll be starting to do playtests for this at EA Canada soon.

I think that it'd be really cool if EA could release this in the arcades, like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. Considering that NBA Jam is a game that appeals to just about every audience out there, I think it would do pretty well.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Why would you do that? said:
I think that it'd be really cool if EA could release this in the arcades, like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. Considering that NBA Jam is a game that appeals to just about every audience out there, I think it would do pretty well.
Well, EA has a partnership with Global VR to do arcade versions of EA titles. It's possible.

Oh, and the graphics are... odd.

Instro

I got my issue of NP in the mail today, I havent had a chance to read about it yet but the pictures sure looked awesome. Ill try to post up some info later.

I need to see what this game is actually supposed to look like. All we've got is practically a thumbnail, and a pretty compressed JPG at that.

RBH

FoneBone said:
Fuck yeah.

GWX

FoneBone said:

Holy shit.

Now hoping for good animations :)

V_Ben

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
I need to see what this game is actually supposed to look like. All we've got is practically a thumbnail, and a pretty compressed JPG at that.

gah. i need to see a proper screenshot soon!

Why For?

Banned
Not sure whether I should genuinely get excited about this or not.

I LOOOOOOOVED NBA Jam (Still have TE on Megadrive), and NBA Showtime on Dreamcast, but something doesn't QUITE sound right about this.

Instro

So I read through the article in NP, heres what I got:

- 2 Modes, 1 is called Classic Campaign, plays pretty much identical to previous NBA Jams, 3v3, no rules other than shot clock and goaltending. The other is called Remix Tour, which is different, changing the core mechanics, rule tweaks, and camera tweaks etc. The devs didnt want to go into detail on the Remix Tour mode yet.

- Theres tons of new dunks, a new spin move that can evade the shove move.

- The faces are actual photograph captures, each character has multiple faces, 3 faces while running the court, 2 dunk faces, and a positive and negative face. (Looks hilarious.
Basically its 3d bodies with 2d heads)

- Option of motion controls or holding the wiimote sideways. Didnt see any mention of the Classic Controller

- NP provided a checklist of what is in the game:

Fire
Shattering Backboard
Cheats
Flashing Shoes
Flashing ball
Big Head Mode
Legends
Playable Mascots
Secret Characters

Thats about it, looks quite solid, I didnt see any release date though

GWX

Nice. Thanks for the info.

Needs more online and CC support. And I'm still trying to process this 2D face on 3D bodies idea. It will look crazy :lol

RBH

Instro said:

- 2 Modes, 1 is called Classic Campaign, plays pretty much identical to previous NBA Jams, 3v3, no rules other than shot clock and goaltending. The other is called Remix Tour, which is different, changing the core mechanics, rule tweaks, and camera tweaks etc. The devs didnt want to go into detail on the Remix Tour mode yet.

- The faces are actual photograph captures, each character has multiple faces, 3 faces while running the court, 2 dunk faces, and a positive and negative face. (Looks hilarious.

- Option of motion controls or holding the wiimote sideways. Didnt see any mention of the Classic Controller

Fire
Shattering Backboard
Cheats
Flashing Shoes
Flashing ball
Big Head Mode
Legends
Playable Mascots
Secret Characters

Sounds pretty damn awesome. Thanks for the info.

I think I'd prefer 2 vs. 2 rather than 3 vs. 3, but otherwise, everything sounds terrific.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
3v3?! I knew they would screw this up. And how is the spin move new? I guess to Jam it is, but Hangtime/Showtime obviously had it.

Captain N

Instro said:

does it look like this...?

2zp4n7t.jpg

Instro said:

Fire
Shattering Backboard
Cheats
Flashing Shoes
Flashing ball
Big Head Mode
Legends
Playable Mascots
Secret Characters

Sounds amazing.

Instro

Captain N said:
does it look like this...?

2zp4n7t.jpg

Pretty much, theres some great shots in the magazine that got me laughing, it seems to fit really well imo...unless it looks terrible in motion or something.

snack

Firestorm said:
If anyone is in the Greater Vancouver Region, it looks like they'll be starting to do playtests for this at EA Canada soon.

Sweet, can't wait! NBA JAM is down right sick.

Online mode better be in the final build. And it better be good. :lol

thomasos

Instro said:

Fire
Shattering Backboard
Cheats
Flashing Shoes
Flashing ball
Big Head Mode
Legends
Playable Mascots
Secret Characters

The game is actually 2-on-2, but likely with three players to choose from per team.

Neomoto

Last real sport game I bought was NBA Street Vol. 2 for the gamecube. That game was awesome, and this info sounds good :) So here's hoping they won't fuck this up, cause you know, being a 3rd party Wii game with potential and all ;-)

thefro

legend166 said:
Needs player creator mode.

It'd be great if you could upload pictures of yourself making the faces to the EA website and it could import your 2D head in to use on the character.

Pretty much everything else that was in NBA Hangtime needs to be in. Double-dunks and alley-oops were nice and added some more depth to the gameplay while keeping the core mechanics simple.

The spin move is a good start.

Pretty sweet that they got the shattering backboard back in... I remember the NBA banning that from the games.

thefro said:
It'd be great if you could upload pictures of yourself making the faces to the EA website and it could import your 2D head in to use on the character.

Or from the DSi camera or SD Card.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
FoneBone said:
Thats all kind of awesome.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm really pulling for the ability to build stats by points awarded from games played/won, a la HANGTIME.

feel free to beat me for liking rpg elements, har har

Pezking

Captain N said:
[EA SPORTS NBA JAM will also introduce new game modes, characters and gameplay depth.

Nooooo!

The Gamebreaker system in "NBA Street" was already too complicated.

They need to keep "NBA Jam" as simple as possible!

Top Bottom