• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 = 9 million shipped, NBA2K14 = 6.5M, Civ 5 = 5M

Cheddahz

Banned
Whyyyyyy do people keep buying NBA2k?! Doesn't deserve to be a top selling game.

Because I can get the PC version for dirt cheap around launch and yes, it does have it's problems, but it is easily my most played game and the roster updates are nice through out the season

Denton

Civilization numbers are pretty amazing, considering its singleplatform nature.
However Arstechnica estimated amount of Civ 5 owners to be 5.8 million. Is Civ 5 steamworks game?

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Not enough to be worth highlighting.

That's a damn shame :(

Good to see borderlands 2 doing so well. Game was so good especially after how much I disliked borderlands 1.

And good to see Civ 5 selling those numbers. Not surprising it sold those numbers seeing as how its always in the steam top 10 most played.

Derp1na

Banned
I enjoyed NBA 2K14 (it actually got me into basketball), but I stopped playing it when I realised the whole game was designed around getting you to spend real money on fake money.

I had to grind for weeks to buy a hat.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
it's really sad to see such a great game like XCOM bombing this bad, and insipid crap like BL2 selling so much

Anth0ny

Holy crap Borderlands 2.

I really enjoyed that game but 9 million shipped is pretty crazy. Would have never thought it would outsell NBA 2K.

Grief.exe

Civilization numbers are pretty amazing, considering its singleplatform nature.
However Arstechnica estimated amount of Civ 5 owners to be 5.8 million. Is Civ 5 steamworks game?

Yes it is Steamworks.

Ars' data takes into account copies give away for free with BioShock Infinite pre-order and other promotions. 2K probably does not.

BigDug13

Deserved. Game is huge and fun. Well supported. Ended up being very deep with lots of endgame content and was still seeing major patches 1.5 years after release.

Hopefully they take a cue from Blizzard for the next game and have an "adventure mode" available when you get a character on your account to max level. Going through that claptrap early game slog for every playthrough on every character is such a chore.

They also showed what $10 DLC and $30 Season Passes should be, and even gave away a free character class to preorder people.

hbkdx12

Whyyyyyy do people keep buying NBA2k?! Doesn't deserve to be a top selling game.

I completely understand this sentiment as the game does have copious flaws and many questionable game design choices but when everything works and you're able to look past the microtransactions, the game is a lot of fun.

The_Afroman

WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP BUYING STUFF I DONT LIKE.

We are all gamers here. we like all genres. please respect other people's choices. Many people enjoy playing sports games on consoles. NBA2K series is a very good franchise that does an amazing job and respect for the game.

Tim O'Shea - Jefferies

Yeah, hi, thanks for taking my question. Just today all the fiscal '15 titles are coming out of 2K, I'm just wondering the likelihood of seeing a Rockstar title in fiscal '15? I may have missed exactly how much full year revenue Lainie said to expect from Rockstar but I think it was 45%, thanks.
Strauss Zelnick - Chairman and CEO

Yeah, we basically said that Rockstar is hard at work on their lineup and there is news to come for this fiscal year, and we expect Rockstar to account for about 45% of the year's revenue.
This basically confirms GTAV ports this year.

It´s the same thing i said to myself after buying it, Why? Why i keep doing that to myself?
because i like basketball and there isn´t anything else out there.
Ah, and i bought it on PC, (the mods are cool) despite the indeference from 2k

Saganator

I understand why people buy the game. I'm just... disappointed they're getting away with the micro transactions and the game being designed around them. It just means it'll spread to more games and get worse as time goes by.

I will admit, looking past shady design, the actual basketball part of the game is great. Animations, sound, graphics, its all top notch. Just a shame, really, all that hard work by talented people was shit on.

MLB The Show '14 contrasts NBA2k pretty well. The Show has micro transactions too, but if you asked me where you go to buy them, I wouldn't be able to tell you and I've put in 10-15 hours. NBA2k is completely opposite.

The_Afroman

I understand why people buy the game. I'm just... disappointed they're getting away with the micro transactions and the game being designed around them. It just means it'll spread to more games and get worse as time goes by.

I will admit, looking past shady design, the actual basketball part of the game is great. Animations, sound, graphics, its all top notch. Just a shame, really, all that hard work by talented people was shit on.

MLB The Show '14 contrasts NBA2k pretty well. The Show has micro transactions too, but if you asked me where you go to buy them, I wouldn't be able to tell you and I've put in 10-15 hours. NBA2k is completely opposite.

Fair enough. I can always get behind the stupidity of micro transactions.

Durante

Good point. So I guess Ars data is still pretty accurate.
If anything, I'd see this as a pretty good confirmation of the Ars method. Before that article, I don't think anyone would have put Civilization 5 at (or beyond) 5 million units sold.

I account for one of each of those sales. Why are people hating on NBA2K14? The currency system is flawed but the actual playing of the basketball is top notch and is drop dead gorgeous.

Wow, Civ is way bigger than I imagined. I always thought Civ 5 would be like, around 1-2 million or something. Totally deserved tho.

-MD-

Overall I had a lot of fun with it, something like 150 hours in the PC version just in a week or two after release.

Shame that the end game bosses were so terrible though and I lost interest almost immediately upon hitting level cap. If Gearbox could learn how to make a boss fight Borderlands 3 could be pretty sweet.

Denton

If anything, I'd see this as a pretty good confirmation of the Ars method. Before that article, I don't think anyone would have put Civilization 5 at (or beyond) 5 million units sold.

That's true. The numbers are amazing. And Borderlands 2 shipped 9 million, while Ars estimates 3.1 million owners on PC. Which also lines up very nicely.
As a sidenote, I am new on gaf, and I love your work on DSfix/Gedosato and your posts here. Thanks for that :)

Top Bottom