• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 = 9 million shipped, NBA2K14 = 6.5M, Civ 5 = 5M

it's really sad to see such a great game like XCOM bombing this bad, and insipid crap like BL2 selling so much

I know people who work for Firaxis and they told me that Xcom units sold exceeded both Firaxis and 2Ks expectations by a significant margin. Also they monile ports did amazingly well. Maybe they are BSing me but I don't think so.

I know people who work for Firaxis and they told me that Xcom units sold exceeded both Firaxis and 2Ks expectations by a significant margin. Also they monile ports did amazingly well. Maybe they are BSing me but I don't think so.

If it were a failure, I doubt they'd keep green lighting XCOM projects.

inky

Their job postings seem to imply they're doing more XCOM.

At least they're hiring for "the team that made XCOM" and asking for UE3 experience to work on a strategy title.

Bringing the game to mobile in its initial form fills me with hope that they see some future in the franchise beyond the name, but it also tells me that they are looking for other places to put it because it might have not done as well as expected.

I'm optimistic of course. I think they are happy with the critical reception, so it might just need some marketing work, especially when something like Civ is doing that good.

Good for Civ5, BL2 and Bio3. Bio3 had its flaws but I still enjoyed it. Spent a ton of time on BL2 and need to finish the DLC. Played Civ5 a bunch as well, and now I want to play another game now that I have time again :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Bringing the game to mobile in its initial form fills me with hope that they see some future in the franchise beyond the name, but it also tells me that they are looking for other places to put it because it might have not done as well as expected.

I'm optimistic of course. I think they are happy with the critical reception, so it might just need some marketing work, especially when something like Civ is doing that good.

I should note that Take-Two sees Firaxis as one of their leading mobile teams, so I would expect more mobile ports and titles from them in general.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Nice.

All of those games deserved those sales or better.

NBA2K14 is the first basketball game I've ever bought.

Bioshock Infinite was amazing despite critics IMO.

Civ needs no explanation.

And Borderlands 2 was a fantastic sequel, thinking about double dipping on the vita but my backlog is so huge....

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
2K biggest seller is something they don't even own. (Gearbox own the IP) they really need to try with new IPs or search for other devs because if Gearbox jump with Borderlands to another publisher then they'll be screwed.

Whyyyyyy do people keep buying NBA2k?! Doesn't deserve to be a top selling game.

It's still very decent(with the problem it has) and it's the only real option for basketball fans right now.

BigDug13

Good on Borderlands 2. Hopefully they don't expect that kind number with the Presequel.

True. Mostly because of it being only for last gen consoles. Not sure why a quick and dirty port of an UE3 engine game couldn't be done on current gen consoles. Just port it from the PC version. Anything to increase sales and the userbase of people who are big Borderlands fans who want to play it on PS3/360 would be small I would think.

Will do decent on PC hopefully. I'm still looking forward to it because I can't get enough of the franchise personally. Something about playing an FPS with full Diablo style loot and skill increases from leveling.

(Can't wait for Destiny for the same reason. Could make this BL game a tougher sell too.)

True. Mostly because of it being only for last gen consoles. Not sure why a quick and dirty port of an UE3 engine game couldn't be done on current gen consoles. Just port it from the PC version. Anything to increase sales and the userbase of people who are big Borderlands fans who want to play it on PS3/360 would be small I would think.

Will do decent on PC hopefully. I'm still looking forward to it because I can't get enough of the franchise personally. Something about playing an FPS with full Diablo style loot and skill increases from leveling.

(Can't wait for Destiny for the same reason. Could make this BL game a tougher sell too.)

Really, it's likely to happen... they just likely don't have the resources to do so up front. I'd be flabbergasted if they didn't announce a current gen port a short while after the main release.

Bonus to waiting a bit is you'll surely nab people who'll double dip that way.

If we use Ars Technica as an estimation, 1.5 million people have XCOM on Steam. Combine that with other platforms, I'd guess about 2.5 million overall, which seems pretty decent to me.

Top Bottom