• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

Rand6

From IronGalaxy Twitter :

ZServ : I've played 413 hours of Borderlands 2 on PC. Soon I'll try on Vita. Hope it's awesome. Patches planned or is it a done deal?

IronGalaxy ‏@IToTheG 3 h : ZServ depends on a lot of factors, but mostly up to Sony

ZServ : So future bug patches may not make it to Vita? Content is based on sales obv. Thanks for the response, appreciated.

WTF Sony is doing?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Hrm, I guess the best way to tell is to go straight to Flynt and see if that fight is any different. I'll try that tomorrow.
Can anyone confirm if the audio bugs were fixed too?
I rescued Roland last night post-patch and didn't have any audio dropouts, so looks like they're fixed.

I didn't have plans to pick this so quickly, but fuck that, I bought it when I got home from work and let it download while I watched hockey.

This is fucking amazing. Iron Galaxy did a fantastic job with porting and they should be commended for it. Simple as that. The fact they were able to get this on the Vita is an achievement in itself. I just can't wrap my head around how they fit the game on the Vita, made it looks as good as it does and still run relatively good. It definitely isn't as bad as it was made to be, but I didn't play it pre-patch.

Seriously, this is crazy. The fact that I'll be heading to bed shortly and be able to play the full, feature complete Borderlands 2 game is ridiculous. I can't wait to be able to transfer my save from the PS3 version and try and finish the game.

I would advise holding off until after E3 for memory cards. Just in case.

Absolutely. I figure if they don't announce a price cut/global release of the 64gb then, they never will. To me it seems like a "well duh" decision along with removing the Kinect from the Xbox One. C'mon Sony!

The more I read the reviews, the more I get steamed. Seems like they have a big ol' pretentious axe to grind.

wilflare

entered Sanctuary for the first time AFTER the update.
not sure if the update did anything but it's not as bad as i thought - it's perfectly playable and not annoying at all

johngie

Neo Member
People are saying that your Badass rank doesn't cross platforms, but every time I start the game, I'm told that my profile has synced and I have "X many unspent Badass tokens!" (usually it's less than 10, but I just got 14 of 'em). What exactly is synching? My other save file is on my PS3, but I'm only a few hours in there. What's with the sporadic tokens?

maouvin

People are saying that your Badass rank doesn't cross platforms, but every time I start the game, I'm told that my profile has synced and I have "X many unspent Badass tokens!" (usually it's less than 10, but I just got 14 of 'em). What exactly is synching? My other save file is on my PS3, but I'm only a few hours in there. What's with the sporadic tokens?

I never played on the ps3 and got 6 tokens yesterday. I played on pc, but got my tokens before logging in with my shift account.
Those must be badass tokens for playing on a badass handheld.

lights

I don't know how anyone could seriously complain about it...the opening cutscene aside (which looked a bit off), everything in the game worked really well for me.

96DOFmd.png

Maybe because of things like that?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That patch they released recently definitely improved my performance noticeably. Not nearly as many drops in frame rate and no freezes. Hopefully they continue to polish this game up. Shame they didn't do it before release as I think that's going to hurt them a little.

Also, I find that I'm dying a LOT more often than I did on PC simply because it's much harder for me to aim and navigate with sticks on my Vita. And the touch controls are a bit of a bitch to deal with sometimes. I had to remap grenade to left front and special power to right front. That seemed to help a little (back right is melee and back left is crouch). At least the penalty ain't that steep.

Oh, and I understand trying to save on performance, but they need to work on the slag thing.

AlexMogil

My goodness the text is small in this game. It wouldn't be so bad except so much of the game involves comparing stats between weapons. Would it have killed them to scale stuff and streamline the menu system for the smaller screen?

Tobor

That patch they released recently definitely improved my performance noticeably. Not nearly as many drops in frame rate and no freezes. Hopefully they continue to polish this game up. Shame they didn't do it before release as I think that's going to hurt them a little.

Also, I find that I'm dying a LOT more often than I did on PC simply because it's much harder for me to aim and navigate with sticks on my Vita. And the touch controls are a bit of a bitch to deal with sometimes. I had to remap grenade to left front and special power to right front. That seemed to help a little (back right is melee and back left is crouch). At least the penalty ain't that steep.

Oh, and I understand trying to save on performance, but they need to work on the slag thing.

For me it's the reverse. I'm dying less than on PC. My assumption is that it's due to the slightly fewer number of enemies. The game seems a bit easier.

ZServ

WTF Sony is doing?

This is really weird hopping in the thread and seeing myself quoted.

So, they never responded, and I don't think they will, because I think it's a big case of the "depends." Borderlands 2 PC is still getting bug fixes, so I assume other platforms are as well. Hence why I asked.

Now, if the content sells, then you can be damn sure we'll see bug fixes in the future to go with that content, but if it doesn't is my concern. Regardless, up to 415 hours on Blands 2 PC and hoping that the Vita version meets my expectations.

Jams775

Borderlands 2 is actually making me kind of bummed out. While I'm playing I keep noticing how wiggly and kind of bad the analog sticks are. It doesn't help that I think I actually hate this game, especially for the Vita. I wish they would have bundled a better game or no game at all and made the Vita cheaper.

I know that there is a way to go from PC->PS3->Vita but does that also mean you can go from Vita->PS3->PC? I own the game on PC but I would really like to have a portable version of it in the future.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Borderlands 2 is actually making me kind of bummed out. While I'm playing I keep noticing how wiggly and kind of bad the analog sticks are. It doesn't help that I think I actually hate this game, especially for the Vita. I wish they would have bundled a better game or no game at all and made the Vita cheaper.
Well, that certainly doesn't help :p

petghost

Banned
i feel like there is a slight delay between the moment the bullets hit the enemy and the point the enemy registers damage/dies... like several frames. maybe im imagining it.

still im pretty suprised at how well this turned out despite a few quirks. controls arent a huge deal imo. it might be a bit harder to line-up a headshot or something but i dont give a fuuuuuck im playing gaige.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
For me it's the reverse. I'm dying less than on PC. My assumption is that it's due to the slightly fewer number of enemies. The game seems a bit easier.

I've always been bad at stick based shooters, so that probably isn't helping. :)

i feel like there is a slight delay between the moment the bullets hit the enemy and the point the enemy registers damage/dies... like several frames. maybe im imagining it.

still im pretty suprised at how well this turned out despite a few quirks. controls arent a huge deal imo. it might be a bit harder to line-up a headshot or something but i dont give a fuuuuuck im playing gaige.

Nope, this is a noticeable issue. The feedback is slightly delayed, and that can be really frustrating at times. Hope they fix it.

I tend to think I'm a picky gamer and I must say I find BL2 very well done and love the way it plays on Vita. I was actually about to post how I started a new character since the patch yesterday and it really plays a lot better both the framerate and audio issues seem to have gotten better. As for you issues with the analog sticks, I seem to be doing just fine with them. To each his own iguess.

Anyone else getting legendaries really early on? I do not remember getting any till almost Sanctuary when I played on PS3.

My brother got this for me (+2 sales BAM!) and we played a little last night.

The performance was better than I was expecting, especially from the chatter here and other places. I think the biggest reason it feels different is because of the Vita's sticks. I mean, there's no question it normally isn't smooth, but it plays pretty amazing for a handheld game.

This is definitely a serviceable port! Slight hiccups, but the frame rate stays fairly solid. Here's hoping it comes to PS+ soon so I can play with a friend at some point!

BigDug13

Lower the controller sensitivity from the default of 6 on the x and y axis to something like 5 or even 4. Slows your aiming down a bit but makes it easier with those sticks and the framerate.

Tigress

After doing the boss battle with Captain Flynt, I will say that when there's a lot of enemies it seems to stop accepting my inputs to shoot (I swear, I'll be right next to the mob, pressing shoot right into its chest, and nothing happens... all the while I'm getting shot).

I ended up having to get out of the arena (cause I discovered you could do that when I fell off) and forcing Flint to try to shoot me from atop the arena so less mobs were surrounding me to kill him. It felt a little cheaty honestly (he was very restrained on where he could go as it obviously was not letting him follow me outside the arena though he was aware I was there so was shooting at me from where he could reach me).

Not a total deal killer for me but then I can play on PS3 if this happens again and I can't find a way around the issue. This would be very frustrating for some one trying to play on VIta only.

Could be me though.. but I hate to say it I don't think it was (but I'm not great at games and I might have missed that maybe I hadn't let my gun reload all the way or something during all the hecticness).

Ourobolus

Banned
Question - any particular time I should use golden keys or?

The weapons always scale to your level, so pretty much any time you feel like your weapons are lagging behind your level. Once you get to max level, you can always throw a couple at the chest, but you're probably better off farming legendaries.

Jams775

I tend to think I'm a picky gamer and I must say I find BL2 very well done and love the way it plays on Vita. I was actually about to post how I started a new character since the patch yesterday and it really plays a lot better both the framerate and audio issues seem to have gotten better. As for you issues with the analog sticks, I seem to be doing just fine with them. To each his own iguess.

Anyone else getting legendaries really early on? I do not remember getting any till almost Sanctuary when I played on PS3.

I really want to like BL2 but I just can't. I don't even know why I don't like it. Playing it on the Vita just made it that much worse. I'll keep playing it I think and see if I can at least get comfortable with it.

I really want to like BL2 but I just can't. I don't even know why I don't like it. Playing it on the Vita just made it that much worse. I'll keep playing it I think and see if I can at least get comfortable with it.

Is it the controls? I know I was having issues with the back touch pad which was causing frustration since I kept throwing grenades all the time. Aster a bit of tweaking The control work much better now.

Chris R

Awesome.

Didn't grab it on PS+ but Redbox has it. I'll grab it and get everything moved over tomorrow.

Copy from the 360 didn't work (Might want to reformat my computer after installing that Horizon program...), but I was able to just move my PC save over to my PS3 with no issue.

Might download level 30ish saves of the other classes as well (wish the game would just let you start a character at the 2nd play though after you beat it once).

I'm not usually big on Twitter, however, this game port has blown me away. I had to give props to Adam Boyes, Gio Corsi and Iron Galaxy for making BL2 on Vita happen.

Icing on the cake: Iron Galaxy and Gio Corsi favorited my tweets ^_^

BigDug13

The weapons always scale to your level, so pretty much any time you feel like your weapons are lagging behind your level. Once you get to max level, you can always throw a couple at the chest, but you're probably better off farming legendaries.

The 40's are a good time to use a few of them because the game gets tough as shit and you usually end up doing quests and fighting enemies 3-4 levels lower than you, which unfortunately means guns that are 3-4 levels under you which as the levels get higher, the increase in damage of the guns at each level exponentially increases so a white level 45 gun is usually better than a green or maybe even a blue level 44 or 43 gun.

matmanx1

Downloaded all the DLC and patches yesterday afternoon but it did not have a chance to play this until the evening time. I started a Gunzerker and did the introduction plus most of the Liar's Berg quests (have not killed Boom Boom or Flynt yet).

Having put 50+ hours into the PC version you would think that the transition to portable would be sort of painful but I am honestly loving it. The slight delay in the menus and the lower overall framerate can be worked around and tolerated, at least by me. I think the game looks really sharp and everything that was good about the core experience is still good here.

Being able to suspend my game halfway through a large area and come back later without everything being respawned is a huge plus. Some of the tediousness of being a gamer who plays in 30 minute to 1 hour bursts will be taken away simply because I am not having to reclear an area 5 times to complete all the quests in that zone. I really can't overstate how wonderful I'm finding this feature.

Downloaded all the DLC and patches yesterday afternoon but it did not have a chance to play this until the evening time. I started a Gunzerker and did the introduction plus most of the Liar's Berg quests (have not killed Boom Boom or Flynt yet).

Having put 50+ hours into the PC version you would think that the transition to portable would be sort of painful but I am honestly loving it. The slight delay in the menus and the lower overall framerate can be worked around and tolerated, at least by me. I think the game looks really sharp and everything that was good about the core experience is still good here.

Being able to suspend my game halfway through a large area and come back later without everything being respawned is a huge plus. Some of the tediousness of being a gamer who plays in 30 minute to 1 hour bursts will be taken away simply because I am not having to reclear an area 5 times to complete all the quests in that zone. I really can't overstate how wonderful I'm finding this feature.

I started a Gunzerker too and this port actually runs than I thought it would and that's after reading all of the praise here. I've had a blast with with little I've played and think the game looks quite nice on the Vita screen.

AdamMPSP

Really enjoying this so far. Put tons of hours into Borderlands 2 on 360, excited to put tons more into this. Spent like half an hour entering in SHIFT codes this morning to get 27 keys that I'll probably never use. MODERN VIDEOGAMING.

Really enjoying this so far. Put tons of hours into Borderlands 2 on 360, excited to put tons more into this. Spent like half an hour entering in SHIFT codes this morning to get 27 keys that I'll probably never use. MODERN VIDEOGAMING.

Old Shift codes work? I figured they expired after a certain time.

AdamMPSP

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/SHiFT

This is where I got the old shift codes, just used the PS3 ones in the Vita, worked fine. I entered them until I got bored, they all worked. I might recommend just scrolling through and entering the ones that give multiple keys, save time. They said they'd expire, but everyone I tried (even from 2012) still worked.

Jams775

Is it the controls? I know I was having issues with the back touch pad which was causing frustration since I kept throwing grenades all the time. Aster a bit of tweaking The control work much better now.

That was definitely annoying. I have pretty large hands and it is extremely uncomfortable trying to use the back touch screen for melee and sprinting. Second was that the game feels a little unresponsive with lag. Especially the delay with the shooting. I can't tell if I hit the enemy until something like 2 seconds after I shoot. It's very disorienting. The UI is extremely small for the screen like a direct port of the pc UI or something. Lastly would be the acceleration on the aiming. I think it ramps up way too fast where I'll tend to overshoot what I want to aim at because it picked up speed right when I was almost at my target.

To be fair I didn't really give myself enough time to adjust but it just doesn't seem worth it. Especially when I can just play the PC version which gets rid of all those problems I had with it on the Vita other than not really enjoying the game to begin with.

MattyG

Banned
How would you guys rank the classes, best to worst? I've only played 3; assassin (my most played), gunzerker, and psycho. From what I've played of these 3, I'd probably rank assassin as my favorite, psycho my second and gunzerker my least.

Tigress

How would you guys rank the classes, best to worst? I've only played 3; assassin (my most played), gunzerker, and psycho. From what I've played of these 3, I'd probably rank assassin as my favorite, psycho my second and gunzerker my least.

I can't say except that Assassin is my favorite. Of course it's the only one I've tried but honestly, it would be hard pressed for me to try other ones as I really like sniping and stealth (if possible) in any game with shooting. So it's hard to convince me to try anything else. My only sadness is that the stealth character isn't one of the females (Though really they make him/her ambigious enough who knows...and from what I've read on wiki it's kind of the point for him/her not to be knowable exactly what he/she is).

I'd say Borderlands is unique in that I even enjoy the running and gunning stuff too. It's just so zany and honestly, I like the bad guys exploding in blood effect. I forget what the normal effect is (I only played the PS3 version cause I got it with PS+ to see if I would be interested in it on the Vita to tell the truth. I figured I had tons of games on the PS3 I could play, the more I could on my Vita the better so I actually waited for the Vita version to come out to play. I did manage to make it to Sanctuary on the PS3 before I got myself to put it down... and in one day I already managed to get to Sanctuary again on the Vita and am further along now).

Anyways, aside from the few things I've already mentioned in this thread, I'm enjoying this game immensely. And I know it sounds a little crazy but I'm enjoying it even more on my Vita despite it not being the best version. Hell, the back touch controls are teaching me that back touch controls are not the end of the world and can be quite doable (even though I still would say having buttons would be better).

I understand why it gets a lot of love now :).

Faltimar

Has anyone heard anything about when cross save is suppose to work? Ive had the game for days but have been waiting for that feature. I dont wanna play through the first couple hours for a third time.

Playing it during lunch and before my girlfriend gets home from work. My experience has been that, while it does hiccup at times, and the sticks are not that great, the port is a really well done. It's hard to imagine the game being as complete as it is. I certainly never expected it to be. Props to Iron Galaxy.

I just discovered I could run. nice. Anyone have a nice controller loadout? I got all the way to chapter 5 without ever running, I just figured you couldn't do it in the vita version.

Top Bottom