• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default censored for western release

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
I'm not so much upset about the changes themselves, they seem pretty minor; I'm just upset that we won't get to play the same exact game. I hate discrepancies across localizations, even if they're minor. I think it's just my inner sperglord speaking, though.

I can absolutely understand this. In a perfect world, we could just import all the games and everyone would be happy.

Eusis

I'm not so much upset about the changes themselves, they seem pretty minor; I'm just upset that we won't get to play the same exact game. I hate discrepancies across localizations, even if they're minor. I think it's just my inner sperglord speaking, though.
Learn Japanese. Seriously, translation is always a bastardization of the original work and so the only way you're getting a pure one is through knowing the language and reading/watching/playing the original.

Shaanyboi

Banned
But they aren't human. They barely resemble actual humans. I see them as cartoons imagined in a fantasy world in a video game. I can separate reality from fiction.

There's a lot of things you can do in fantasy fiction. I still wouldn't put 15 year olds in lingerie.

Nags

Banned
Good. Those original costumes are creepy. Babies in lingire. It's gross.

Bunch of you need to learn what "censorship" is, by the way. Hint: It's not a developer opting to put clothes on their own characters.

What is it then? You think this is how they intended the final release to be? Why does the rest of the world get a different game then? Which Bravely Default is the real one?

EDIT: I'm a fucking idiot the West is not only the US. I just assumed too much like I always do.

They should censor the animal ears or completely remove those furry costumes, I don't want them promoting bestiality in MY country. Hmph.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, I don't normally "quote myself for the next page", but I'm trying to get at the crux of an argument that I feel lots of people are trying to advance

But they aren't human. They barely resemble actual humans. I see them as cartoons imagined in a fantasy world in a video game. I can separate reality from fiction.

If them being cartoons imagined in a fantasy world that barely resemble real humans divorces their design from any meaning then why did the designers come up with these skimpy, revealing outfits? Why did the designers bother to make them even look human, or look female, or look young? You can't have it both ways, either the game isn't representational and so the aesthetic design is meaningless or else the game is, on some level representational (
hint: it is
) and there is meaning associated with designs.

What is it then? You think this is how they intended the final release to be? Why does the rest of the world get a different game then? Which Bravely Default is the real one?

The one that doesn't have images of sexualized children.

Like, this is a simple fact.

If you're against this change, you are supporting sexualizing children.

I don't know what "paedo" is, but what exactly do you want to tell me? The fact that I can understand the use of different art styles (Super Deformed, which goes back to the 70s) used within a game on a platform with limited specs? The fact that I can understand that and that its uses do NOT equate it to pedophilia bothers you? I believe that says way more about you than it does me.

I had typed up a post to this effect and deleted it because I thought it sounded dumb, but I guess others feel the same way. Regardless of my earlier joke about Ringabel's costume, even that wouldn't do anything for me. The proportions in-game are so off that the characters resemble humans in a pretty rudimentary way (a head and a body with four limbs), but they're closer to troll dolls than looking like actual children.

Kinyou

I can absolutely understand this. In a perfect world, we could just import all the games and everyone would be happy.
Or they could just include both. Censored and non censored. Modern Warfare 2 managed to do that as well with their "Some content might be considered disturbing, do you want to skip that mission" option.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Or they could just include both. Censored and non censored. Modern Warfare 2 managed to do that as well with their "Some content might be considered disturbing, do you want to skip that mission" option.
Having the option there didn't avoid one shred of controversy.

i dont get why everyone is so bothered. these characters are shaped like sacks of potatoes.

do you blush when you see a sack of potatoes in a thong?

Roubjon

If them cartoons imagined in a fantasy world that barely resemble real humans divorces their design from any meaning then why did the designers come up with these skimpy, revealing outfits? You can't have it both ways, either the game isn't representational and so the aesthetic design is meaningless or else the game is, on some level representational (
hint: it is
) and there is meaning associated with designs.

They put them in those clothes and chose that art style because it is a fantasy world in a video game. That's the cool thing about drawing and being creative, you can do whatever you want. They decided to try to make these humanoid things look sexy once in a while. Whether someone thinks it's fucked up or not is up to them, and if they can detach fiction from reality. But I think what's really fucked up are some of the people in here who are being ridiculously condescending to anyone who even might slightly like the art style chosen. It's close minded and pathetic.

Learn Japanese. Seriously, translation is always a bastardization of the original work and so the only way you're getting a pure one is through knowing the language and reading/watching/playing the original.

True enough. This may be a little off topic, but are there any decent resources for this online? I don't believe my local uni offers Japanese courses.

Still not censorship, no matter what a dumb wikipedia article says.

Not having something in a work because you'd think it'll offend people isn't censorship, it's basic editing. Every single story ever made that wasn't deliberately offensive is now censored I guess.

If those stories were published in one market and then purposefully changed for another... yes... that would be censorship.

Manu

Will they censor this ones too?

DqHjUoW.png

Uh, for a chibi styled game, that's some realistic shading in the crotch area.

I would just like to point out that changing Idea's costume from the front page is actually changing a plot point behind the costume existing in the first place in the form that it does, it's supposed to be a somewhat embarrasing costume to wear and that's actually explained why in the story (this is coming from someone who's pretty much 100%'d the game last year). Then again if they change a character completely (the old master) and everything he says in the game, they'll get it to work.

That doesn't change anything. The race of almost naked little girls in Tera are thousands of years old but that doesn't change the fact that they are modeled to look like children. In Kill la Kill the suit is super embarrassing and they explain why, but that doesn't change the fact that its just pandering to a certain demographic.

Imagine a game where all the women are naked, while all the men are clothed. Now imagine that in the game world, it makes complete sense. Does that make it ok? Does it make this imaginary game any less problematic? Of course not.

Owwari

Banned
Screw the outfits changes and stuff, that barely detracts from the experience.
But changing the dialogue AND toning down the sexual innuendos? WOW, let's just pretend 15 year old teens aren't horny and thinking about sex everyday.

Like, do what you want because it's your game, but I personally think that it's just plain dumb and unnecessary, we have younger people committing mass shootings and you're concerned about sexual innuendos on a rated Teen game.

Vire

They put them in those clothes and chose that art style because it is a fantasy world in a videogame. That's the cool thing about drawing and being creative, you can do whatever you want. They decided to try to make these humanoid things look sexy once in a while. Whether someone thinks it's fucked up or not is up to them, and if they can detach ficiton from reality. But I think what's really fucked up are some of the people in here who are being ridiculously condescending to anyone who even might slightly like the art style chosen. It's close minded and pathetic.

Putting characters in thongs and skirts is the opposite of what I would call "creative".

It's actually what I would call "lazy".

Screw the outfits changes and stuff, that barely detracts from the experience.
But changing the dialogue AND toning down the sexual innuendos? WOW, let's just pretend 15 year old teens aren't horny and thinking about sex everyday.

Like, do what you want because it's your game, but I personally think that it's just plain dumb and unnecessary, we have younger people committing mass shootings and you're concerned about sexual innuendos on a rated Teen game.

what_the_fuck_shatner.gif

That's it, I give up. I'm outta here.

A simple fact is that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

The characters in Bravely Default look like children.

In the Japanese release these children are dressed up in sexy outfits for some situations.

The western release changed it so it's less obviously sexual.

It seems pretty cut and dried to me. if you're against this change (NOT censorship) then you want children in sexy outfits.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Ringabel is still hilarious though.

Looking at what's been changed, I'm more appalled by Japan's love for underage girls than by this "censorship".

Nevertheless,
It seems pretty cut and dried to me. if you're against this change (NOT censorship) then you want children in sexy outfits.
is a silly excuse of an argument to make.

The one that doesn't have images of sexualized children.

Like, this is a simple fact.

If you're against this change, you are supporting sexualizing children.

what

I don't really mind the costume changes myself, but how does not liking costume edits of fictional characters in a video game=supporting the sexualization of children?

Roubjon

Putting characters in thongs and skirts is the opposite of what I would call "creative".

It's actually what I would call "lazy".

Yes, let's magically forget every other piece of artwork and creative talent that went into making the game and focus on one thong. Jesus christ...

oti

Banned
i dont get why everyone is so bothered. these characters are shaped like sacks of potatoes.

do you blush when you see a sack of potatoes in a thong?

I can partly understand this argument. But then, on the other hand, they are clearly depicted as humans on the cover art and in merchandise. Again, they are potatoe sacks in game, which to some (maybe rightly so) is the only environment deserving being called the "game experience".

But again, it just feels wrong to me personally. (I don't claim to be everyone though.)

Kaibutsu

I just want to know where all this talk about the "Developer" is censoring this game so it's not censorship is coming from. It's not the developer that is censoring the game, it's the publisher NINTENDO that is censoring the game which the last time I checked didn't have a hand in making it :p. Say and feel whatever you want about this issue, it doesn't change the fact that is indeed very much censorship.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
They put them in those clothes and chose that art style because it is a fantasy world in a video game. That's the cool thing about drawing and being creative, you can do whatever you want. They decided to try to make these humanoid things look sexy once in a while. Whether someone thinks it's fucked up or not is up to them, and if they can detach fiction from reality. But I think what's really fucked up are some of the people in here who are being ridiculously condescending to anyone who even might slightly like the art style chosen. It's close minded and pathetic.

But this is my point. If you think it looks "sexy" you are also, by your argument, "unable to detach fiction from reality" because you are referencing the images in the game to real life concepts. If you think they look like people you are "unable to detach fiction from reality"

Shahed

This is a good thing. The whole giving young characters less revealing (still skimpy though!) clothing and bumping their age up a bit

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The characters in Bravely Default look like children.

In the Japanese release these children are dressed up in sexy outfits for some situations.

The western release changed it so it's less obviously sexual.

And apparently from the content of most videogames, gamers like to murder people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom