• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 5, Part 1 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
- IndieWire VIDEO ESSAY: Gliding Over All: The Cinematography of Breaking Bad, Season 4
Hollywood can keep its 3D, its CGI and whatever Dolby Surround version they’re up to now. For a contemporary cinematic experience as visceral and visually arresting as Breaking Bad, audiences must look abroad, to Gaspar Noé’s Enter the Void, or further, to films coming out of Thailand, Japan, and South Korea. As Dave Bunting and Derek Hill point out in their video essay and commentary on season 5.1, Vince Gilligan’s series puts U.S. cinema to shame, not just in terms of story, but in its execution: The direction, the dialogue, the acting, and—as is evident from the video essay above—the cinematography are, quite simply, of a higher order of intelligence. An intelligence that is extremely, at times obsessively, self-aware.
Much more via the link.

Their video essay on season 5.1 can be found here.

coldfoot

Banned
Thinking about it, Skyler really physically changed from Season 1 to Season 5. She became less attractive.
She was never attractive to begin with...Walt's an idiot for dumping his hotter girlfriend and giving up on his start-up company for Skyler. Blond hair and tall legs does not make up for an ugly face and bitchy demeanor.

- Brief Cranston interview with Shortlist Magazine
It’s not easy for ShortList to shake hands with Bryan Cranston. This isn’t down to clammy palms or a finger-crushing grip. No, it’s because, like a growing army of box set-devouring UK fans, we’re slightly obsessed with Breaking Bad.

And his terrifyingly plausible performance as a terminally ill chemistry teacher-turned-murderous meth druglord is hard to shake. Who’s to say he won’t violently garrote us if he takes issue with a question? Or discreetly slip some home-made poison into our cup when we’re not looking? Thankfully, we’re not alone in blurring fact and fiction.

“When people knew me from Malcolm In The Middle, they were like, ‘Hi! May I have your picture?’” grins Cranston, impersonating a cheerful fan of the family sitcom. “Now it’s a little more like, ‘Is it all right if I… um?’ They’re a little more trepidatious when they approach me. And I like that.”

It’s not just wary autograph-hunters that have been affected by the 56-year-old’s mesmerising, triple Emmy-winning turn as Walter White. Since disappearing from UK screens in 2009 it’s earned a cult following and scored Cranston roles in films including Drive and Total Recall. It’s a long way from playing a homeless bloke in an episode of Diagnosis Murder. With the fifth and final series (available via legitimate means on Netflix UK) arriving to swallow entire weekends, we took a tentative sip of our tea and asked him about his slow-burn career.
Q&A via the link.

Joe

i really hate every character on this show even Jesse and Mike. they're all so hateable.

the legit only characters i like are

- walt
- walt jr
- hank pre death

big ander

i really hate every character on this show even Jesse and Mike. they're all so hateable.

the legit only characters i like are

- walt
- walt jr
- hank pre death

it makes sense for someone who mixes up hank and mike to not get how walt is a terrible awful person :p

Joe

Are you caught up with the show? If you are, screw you. =P

it makes sense for someone who mixes up hank and mike to not get how walt is a terrible awful person :p

Walt, Jesse, and Hank are the best. Too bad I don't think it'll end well for 2 of them.

i am completely caught up and realize 100% how awful walt is but i still root for him. i guess that's part of the escapism for me.

i truly dislike every character outside of walt and walt jr right now. i've always hated jesse, what an insufferable prick that guy is....

Dany

Banned
Walt needs to take a bullet.

He is fucked up beyond belief. I only care for Hank and Jesse and I'm sure Walt is going to fuck them up as well. He already ruined enough lives.

Fry

I was watching the second half of 5th season yesterday. It's sooooooo fucking good. Takes the season to a whole other level.

Fry

Oh yeah, and Lydia was a great addition to the cast, I hope Walt doesn't kill her. Although I'm not sure how much screen time she'll get anymore, since he's out of the business.

Dany

Banned
bb-episode-505-lydia-325.jpg

Her faces are the best. She plays nervous wreck well.

Edit: lol, walts out of the buisness as much as walt jr. hates breakfast.

as in none.

Fry

Yup.

And she sounds like Jesse Eisenberg in The Social Network. It's disturbing!

Edit: lol, walts out of the buisness as much as walt jr. hates breakfast.

as in none.

Nah, he's out. That way Hank won't be able to get further evidence of his business, and that's what I assume they'll go for.

coldfoot

Banned
Lydia is hot...
Walt has become too much of an asshole for me to still root for him in the last few episodes of season 5. I was fine with everything until the train robbery and what he became afterwards. That was the breaking point for me.

K-19

Banned
The wait will be very long till the last part, but if they keep going the way they did till now it's okay. Breaking Bad is just perfect, it's a masterpiece.

Now I am wondering how Walt gonna manage the new situation ... I think that Hank is done. Walt is a bad guy.

cousins

i am completely caught up and realize 100% how awful walt is but i still root for him. i guess that's part of the escapism for me.

i truly dislike every character outside of walt and walt jr right now. i've always hated jesse, what an insufferable prick that guy is....

you suck

Solo

Nah, he's out. That way Hank won't be able to get further evidence of his business, and that's what I assume they'll go for.

Walt will never be "out". He enjoys it too much. Even if he can't admit it to anyone, least of all himself, wanting to get out is just bullshit. When he was Walt, he was a meek, boring man who was barely thought of, let alone respected. Since he's become "Heisenberg", he's known control, power, respect, danger, etc, and he gets off on that shit. There won't be a happy ending here.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I was just thinking about it and "Everybody Wins" was a better title for the finale than "Gliding Over All".

Everybody did actually win. Walt became King, made millions. Skyler got Walt to quit the business. Jesse got Walt out of his life. Hank found Heisenberg.

Grinchy

Banned
plus I think hank finding out walt kind of disrupts the "wins" of pretty much everyone else

I'm excited to see how this plays out. He has one tiny little shred of evidence, and he doesn't know yet that his wife accepted Walt's illegal money to pay his medical bills. Going after Walt will mean sacrificing himself and his wife. And that's if he's lucky and can make a case with just a vague mention in a book.

mannerbot

I was just thinking about it and "Everybody Wins" was a better title for the finale than "Gliding Over All".

Everybody did actually win. Walt became King, made millions. Skyler got Walt to quit the business. Jesse got Walt out of his life. Hank found Heisenberg.

Well, there were a lot of deaths and Walt Whitman was kind of a big deal. I think they did ok on the title.

Bob Odenkirk is coming to my school and I'm going to be part of the sound crew, aka laving up Mr. Odenkirk and shooting the shit. Very excited, not sure how I'm going to annoy him yet

Not to start show wars or anything, but...all the Emmy wins compelled me to finally catch up on Homeland S1 and the current season. Fun show, but...c'mon. Breaking Bad is on a whole other level.

Not that the Emmys have ever been a good arbiter of quality, though. I guess BB will just be one of those shows that, years from now, people will be shaking their heads at the awards it DIDN'T win.

Aguirre

im nearing the end of s4 (first watch through) and it's well. .. what can i say that hasnt been said already about this season? its amazing. i just cant help but think that walter will die in the end

Not to start show wars or anything, but...all the Emmy wins compelled me to finally catch up on Homeland S1 and the current season. Fun show, but...c'mon. Breaking Bad is on a whole other level.

Not that the Emmys have ever been a good arbiter of quality, though. I guess BB will just be one of those shows that, years from now, people will be shaking their heads at the awards it DIDN'T win.
meh, breaking bad already won a lot of shit so they're rewarding the new show. I expect BB to win more next time since it'll be a final season. We'll see though.

im nearing the end of s4 (first watch through) and it's well. .. what can i say that hasnt been said already about this season? its amazing. i just cant help but think that walter will die in the end

I'm sure you're just popping in to give an update but I'd definitely advise you to state out of this thread until you're caught up. It would be a shame to spoil anything that you haven't seen, be it from Season 4 or Season 5. I am definitely jealous of you going through season four for the first time though, it really is marvellous.

Aguirre

I'm sure you're just popping in to give an update but I'd definitely advise you to state out of this thread until you're caught up. It would be a shame to spoil anything that you haven't seen, be it from Season 4 or Season 5. I am definitely jealous of you going through season four for the first time though, it really is marvellous.

good idea. i'll avoid this thread. i'm on ep 8. when i finish up work, im gonna watch some more. without giving details away how was season5 part 1? better or worse?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
good idea. i'll avoid this thread. i'm on ep 8. when i finish up work, im gonna watch some more. without giving details away how was season5 part 1? better or worse?
I liked it better. Some people say it was worse.

Not really a huge change in quality either way

It really does depend on the person. Some people felt it was, once again, better than the previous season but personally I didn't enjoy it as much as season four (which isn't to say I found it bad. On the contrary, I thought it was, once again, an excellent season). The biggest change (again, no spoilers) which effects opinions on it is that the pacing is slightly faster due to the reduced episode count and this is seemingly what has the biggest impact on people's opinion of the season relative to the others with many people enjoying this faster pace and likewise numerous people preferring a slower pace with a bigger build-up (myself included). Regardless, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Even though I did not enjoy it as much as Season 4 I was not even remotely disappointed, it blew my expectations away and as dave is ok has commented, there is "not really a huge change in quality either way".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom