• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 5, Part 1 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiggum2007

Season 4 was actually my least favorite season so far, after Season 3's ending I was ready for the Gus storyline to resolve in the early part of S4 but instead it just became Season 3 Part 2.

That being said S4 was the only season I didn't see as it aired and watched it all in one chunk later on, plus I'd had the ending spoiled, so that may be affecting my opinion.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, so I've been trying to catch up on this show since "supposedly" it seems to be the "best" show currently on the teevee, from many people I trust. I'm currently midway between season 3. Now, with what I've seen, let me say a few things:

-I dislike most of the characters (hello Skyler)
-I dislike the writing/dialogue
-I dislike the vast majority of the way the show is directed
-I dislike much of the music

Having said all that, I can't stop watching the show.

I admit, I thought it was kind of average show until Hank met Tuco for the first time. Him and the explosive meth absolutely floored me. I guess the biggest hook happens to be some of the crazy shit that ends up happening, like what was already mentioned.

Season 3 from what I've seen so far is
pretty decent, but I can't help but feel weird about Skyler wanting to divorce Walt. I mean, I guess it's not that big of a stretch, but you would think someone who stayed with their husband during a bout of possibly terminally ill cancer wouldn't just make a decision like that, but whatever.

Having said that, as stupid and annoying as Skyler is, I would smash that so hard. Dem mommy titties. :D

Aguirre

It really does depend on the person. Some people felt it was, once again, better than the previous season but personally I didn't enjoy it as much as season four (which isn't to say I found it bad. On the contrary, I thought it was, once again, an excellent season). The biggest change (again, no spoilers) which effects opinions on it is that the pacing is slightly faster due to the reduced episode count and this is seemingly what has the biggest impact on people's opinion of the season relative to the others with many people enjoying this faster pace and likewise numerous people preferring a slower pace with a bigger build-up (myself included). Regardless, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Even though I did not enjoy it as much as Season 4 I was not even remotely disappointed, it blew my expectations away and as dave is ok has commented, there is "not really a huge change in quality either way".

im concerned about the fast paced part. if i recall, for the most part, season 1 was quite laid back up until the last 2 episodes. i mean, without giving much away, is it just like... non stop well not to say action, but drama? in the previous seasons, if something happened, the characters dwelled on it for a while then came the next set piece.

Scuderia

Audίoboxer;43507574 said:
My Heisenberg TShirt arrived today, got it from Qwertee.com for £8!

IMG_20121023_125450.jpg

ignore any JPEG compression, it's pristine IRL

Oh shit i got that too last week. Looks alot darker than mine though, maybe just the pic?

I was hoping the one on the left here would go on sale soon.

532290_10151686817002524_1514578942_n.jpg

im concerned about the fast paced part. if i recall, for the most part, season 1 was quite laid back up until the last 2 episodes. i mean, without giving much away, is it just like... non stop well not to say action, but drama? in the previous seasons, if something happened, the characters dwelled on it for a while then came the next set piece.

There is really no need for concern. It isn't non-stop action or drama but I do think that there isn't as much of a breathing space between events as there was in the past seasons. However, it is important to note that when I say "faster paced" I mean that relative to the show. It didn't suddenly transform into something like 24 where something is constantly happen and every episode is filled to the brim with some dramatic event, there is still a methodical pacing throughout the season, it just so happens that this pacing is faster than in the previous seasons (and the reason for this pacing is explained within the show itself so it isn't a forced increase in the pacing either). It really is hard to explain specifically what about the pacing is different than the previous seasons but I'd be very surprised if it had any significant impact on your enjoyment of the season.

Macka

Fuck, I need to get me some of those shirts. They're amazing!

Oh and like everyone else, I'm dying for this to hurry up and return. This season has probably been my favourite thus far - I enjoyed the faster pace.

Aguirre

There is really no need for concern. It isn't non-stop action or drama but I do think that there isn't as much of a breathing space between events as there was in the past seasons. However, it is important to note that when I say "faster paced" I mean that relative to the show. It didn't suddenly transform into something like 24 where something is constantly happen and every episode is filled to the brim with some dramatic event, there is still a methodical pacing throughout the season, it just so happens that this pacing is faster than in the previous seasons (and the reason for this pacing is explained within the show itself so it isn't a forced increase in the pacing either). It really is hard to explain specifically what about the pacing is different than the previous seasons but I'd be very surprised if it had any significant impact on your enjoyment of the season.

thank you. i'm gonna go finish up s4 tonight and i dont want to. i want it to go on for another 12 episodes.

i've been watching it on blu ray thus far and i'll have to wait until the next blu ray drops. sigh.

bonesquad

Question: Why did
Gus kill Victor?

Because he fucked Ted.
Otherwise, A) To put the fear of god into Walter/Jesse/Mike reminding them that he, Gus, was boss. And B) Victor was seen at the crime scene of Gale's murder and Gus didn't want any loose ends.

Oblivion

Because he fucked Ted.
Otherwise, A) To put the fear of god into Walter/Jesse/Mike reminding them that he, Gus, was boss. And B) Victor was seen at the crime scene of Gale's murder and Gus didn't want any loose ends.

Ahhh okay that makes a lot more sense. I mean, I got the whole fear thing, but didn't realize the other part. I was wondering cause Victor seemed very loyal so I thought it was somewhat odd.

- EW.com: 'Mythbusters' to do 'Breaking Bad'-themed episode with Aaron Paul and Vince Gilligan
EW has learned that the Discovery reality series — in which everything from urban legends to Hollywood scenes are scrutinized in the name of science — will put AMC drug drama Breaking Bad under the microscope with an episode that includes appearances by star Aaron Paul and creator Vince Gilligan. “We’ve been wanting to do a Breaking Bad episode for awhile,” says Mythbusters host Adam Savage. “Obviously there’s a lot of fertile material to play with, so things that happen on the show have been ending up on our list of stories to tackle for a couple years now. And when Vince said in an interview that he’d love to see a Mythbusters/Breaking Bad crossover, we reached out to him directly and the response was overwhelming positive.”

Savage and co-host Jamie Hyneman will test the science from a scene in season 1 of Bad, in which Paul’s Jesse Pinkman uses hydrochloric acid to dissolve a body but ignores instructions from Walt (Bryan Cranston) to use a plastic container. Jesse places the body in a bathtub instead and the acid eats right through the tub, which winds up falling through the floor. “Hydrofluoric acid is terrifying stuff,” notes Savage. “It’s not quite like alien blood, which is what a lot of people think when they think of powerful acids. It’s poisonous in a way that is completely unique and very disturbing.” (Don’t worry, Buster won’t be harmed during this investigation.)

The Breaking Bad installment is being shot this week in San Francisco and will be part of the show’s tenth season, which is slated to begin airing in the spring.
More via the link.

Vlad

They totally are going to debunk magnets.

The article said that they're just going to be doing two myths from the first season. I'm guessing the other one's going to be the fulminated mercury scene. They did say that they'd like to go back and do another episode eventually, though, so the magnet scene isn't out of the question.

Personally, I've always wondered if the homemade battery from Four Days Out could really jump-start an RV, so here's hoping.

Oblivion

So apparently I learned that despite the series' universal praise, the highest ratings it's ever gotten was 3.5 million for the season 5 premiere.

Guess it's one of those message board darling shows that everyone else doesn't care for as much.

So apparently I learned that despite the series' universal praise, the highest ratings it's ever gotten was 3.5 million for the season 5 premiere.

Guess it's one of those message board darling shows that everyone else doesn't care for as much.
Gotta keep in mind it's a cable show.

Fry

Isn't that a low number, even for a cable show?

The Walking Dead (same channel) started with numbers between 5 and 6. Now it's getting 10 million viewers.

It is kind of low, but what you're gonna do? We all know many quality stuff, like movies, don't always get the audience we would have hoped for.

And shit like Twilight does.

big ander

Its ratings have been pretty bad throughout, though they get much better each season.
It's not a message board darling show either, whatever the hell that means. Pretty universally loved critically.
Not sure what this is about either, I don't think anyone here really cares about how many people see it. Quality and popularity aren't correlated, never have been and never will be on anything in any medium ever.
"apparently" you learned? did or didn't you learn? :p
Okay, so I've been trying to catch up on this show since "supposedly" it seems to be the "best" show currently on the teevee, from many people I trust. I'm currently midway between season 3. Now, with what I've seen, let me say a few things:

-I dislike most of the characters (hello Skyler)
-I dislike the writing/dialogue
-I dislike the vast majority of the way the show is directed
-I dislike much of the music

Having said all that, I can't stop watching the show.

I admit, I thought it was kind of average show until Hank met Tuco for the first time. Him and the explosive meth absolutely floored me. I guess the biggest hook happens to be some of the crazy shit that ends up happening, like what was already mentioned.

Season 3 from what I've seen so far is
pretty decent, but I can't help but feel weird about Skyler wanting to divorce Walt. I mean, I guess it's not that big of a stretch, but you would think someone who stayed with their husband during a bout of possibly terminally ill cancer wouldn't just make a decision like that, but whatever.

Having said that, as stupid and annoying as Skyler is, I would smash that so hard. Dem mommy titties. :D
By "Hank met Tuco" did you mean "Walt met Tuco"?
Also saying "I dislike everything" is fine and dandy: what do you dislike though? It's a valid opinion but just throwing it out there without any defense lends it zero strength.

Oblivion

The Walking Dead (same channel) started with numbers between 5 and 6. Now it's getting 10 million viewers.

It is kind of low, but what you're gonna do? We all know many quality stuff, like movies, don't always get the audience we would have hoped for.

And shit like Twilight does.

Goddamn. Had no idea Walking Dead was doing that well.

And yeah I know ratings aren't generally related to quality, but it was one of those things I was expecting to be connected in this instance at least. If anything, I would have expected the reverse numbers from WD and BB.

Oblivion

Its ratings have been pretty bad throughout, though they get much better each season.
It's not a message board darling show either, whatever the hell that means. Pretty universally loved critically.
Not sure what this is about either, I don't think anyone here really cares about how many people see it. Quality and popularity aren't correlated, never have been and never will be on anything in any medium ever.
"apparently" you learned? did or didn't you learn? :p

By "Hank met Tuco" did you mean "Walt met Tuco"?
Also saying "I dislike everything" is fine and dandy: what do you dislike though? It's a valid opinion but just throwing it out there without any defense lends it zero strength.

You sound quite defensive. Chillax, bro. I meant no disrespect. :p

And I didn't say I disliked the show (I'm almost caught up now), I said there are many aspects of the show I dislike, and I've mentioned them. But if you need to elaborate further...

- Characters: I find several people to be severely unlikable. People like Walt and Hank are okay, but almost everyone else in the show needs to be beaten.
- Writing/Dialogue: This one's a little harder to describe, but it seems like the type of show where much of the dialogue is ad-libed. Characters talk and converse more like how you'd expect people to do so in real life. Some people might prefer that as it may seem more realistic or whatever, but I hate that style when it comes to scripted shows.
-Directing: Again, this is a personal issue, but I dislike many of the long, silent scenes. The extended staring periods between characters. The sort of thing that's generally prevalent among the first few minutes of the show when it starts up. The many random instances of shaky cam. etc.
-Music: Now in this instance, BB's not the only show that does this. In fact, a good chunk of other shows do it too, but I severely dislike hearing some random licensed piece of music just start blaring during certain scenes (usually when Walt and Jesse are cooking). Again, I'll admit this is probably the weakest criticism but it's just a massive pet peeve of mine.

But as I've said, I still find the show quite entertaining, at least enough that I'm almost up to 5 seasons now, so there's that. :p

And yes, I meant Walt and Tuco, not Hank and Tuco.

To me, nearly all the things you dislike are what makes the show so good :O

Same here. Love most of the characters, and the musical montages are often amazing. I can't fathom anybody not loving the meth cooking montages or the TV on the Radio "Stay out of my territory" scene.

Oblivion

Same here. Love most of the characters, and the musical montages are often amazing. I can't fathom anybody not loving the meth cooking montages or the TV on the Radio "Stay out of my territory" scene.

Actually that scene I thought was pretty fucking awesome. One of my favorite ones in the series so far.

big ander

You sound quite defensive. Chillax, bro. I meant no disrespect. :p

And I didn't say I disliked the show (I'm almost caught up now), I said there are many aspects of the show I dislike, and I've mentioned them. But if you need to elaborate further...

- Characters: I find several people to be severely unlikable. People like Walt and Hank are okay, but almost everyone else in the show needs to be beaten.
- Writing/Dialogue: This one's a little harder to describe, but it seems like the type of show where much of the dialogue is ad-libed. Characters talk and converse more like how you'd expect people to do so in real life. Some people might prefer that as it may seem more realistic or whatever, but I hate that style when it comes to scripted shows.
-Directing: Again, this is a personal issue, but I dislike many of the long, silent scenes. The extended staring periods between characters. The sort of thing that's generally prevalent among the first few minutes of the show when it starts up. The many random instances of shaky cam. etc.
-Music: Now in this instance, BB's not the only show that does this. In fact, a good chunk of other shows do it too, but I severely dislike hearing some random licensed piece of music just start blaring during certain scenes (usually when Walt and Jesse are cooking). Again, I'll admit this is probably the weakest criticism but it's just a massive pet peeve of mine.

But as I've said, I still find the show quite entertaining, at least enough that I'm almost up to 5 seasons now, so there's that. :p

And yes, I meant Walt and Tuco, not Hank and Tuco.
Wasn't trying to be defensive, simply curious while clearing up some facts.

The things you're disliking re: writing, directing and music definitely aren't unique to Breaking Bad. Those are some pretty general criticisms not just of television as a whole, but pretty much all video media. Which is fine, but do realize that by disliking realism and licensed music and extended sequencing knocks out humongous gigantic chunks of cinema and tv. Disliking those things is far more an indication of narrow tastes than it is a real reflection on the show. Again, having narrow tastes isn't necessarily a bad thing.

btw, dialogue on Breaking Bad is zero percent ad-libbed. Also, it's pretty melodramatic and calling it realistic is odd to me. Don't think many people go around regularly shouting stuff like "I am the one who knocks" after delivering long-winded furious speeches.

As for the characters: I feel like wanting everyone to be beaten is a pretty extreme and visceral reaction. Especially considering you haven't had that reaction to Walt, a narcissistic menace prone to endangering the lives of every single person surrounding him just to have a small taste of power. But the team Walt thing's been talked to death in here, so we probably won't get anywhere with it now.

Solo

btw, dialogue on Breaking Bad is zero percent ad-libbed. Also, it's pretty melodramatic and calling it realistic is odd to me. Don't think many people go around regularly shouting stuff like "I am the one who knocks" after delivering long-winded furious speeches.

Fuck you man, that's how I introduce myself at people's doorsteps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom