• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Trump administration asks Supreme Court to immediately reinstate travel ban

While the Paris accord news is owning the cycle, there is also this.

The Trump administration on Thursday asked the Supreme Court to let it move forward with the president's plan to temporarily ban citizens from six mostly Muslim countries, elevating a divisive legal battle involving national security and religious discrimination to the nation's highest court.

Department of Justice lawyers asked the court to overturn a decision of the full U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit that kept in place a freeze on President Trump's revised ban.

The 10-3 ruling last week was one in a series of legal defeats for the administration, as judges across the country have said Trump's claim of protecting the nation was cover for making good on a campaign promise to ban Muslims from entry into the United States.

The government's filing late Thursday asks the justices to set aside the 4th Circuit ruling and accept the case for oral arguments. It also asks the high court to lift a nationwide injunction issued by a federal judge in a separate Hawaii case. A panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, which covers Hawaii, heard the government's arguments in that case last month, but has not yet ruled.

Justice Department spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores said Thursday that the administration is ”confident that President Trump's executive order is well within his lawful authority to keep the nation safe and protect our communities from terrorism."

”The President is not required to admit people from countries that sponsor or shelter terrorism, until he determines that they can be properly vetted and do not pose a security risk to the United States."

The president's travel order has been one of the most controversial of the young Trump administration, as the first entry ban created chaos at airports around the world and prompted major protests here and abroad.

Trump has denounced judicial decisions freezing the ban as unprecedented assaults on the his power to fulfill his most important role, keeping the nation safe.

It would take the votes of five of the nine justices to grant the government's request, and require a finding that the government was likely to prevail on the merits of its argument — and that it would be irreparably harmed if the 4th Circuit's decision remained in place.

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...breaking-news&pushid=5930dad52e12651d00000029

ZeoVGM

Banned
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-idUSKBN18T09Z

President Donald Trump's administration on Thursday asked the U.S. Supreme Court to revive his ban on travelers from six Muslim-majority nations after it was blocked by lower courts that found it was discriminatory.

The administration filed two emergency applications with the nine Court justices seeking to block two different lower court rulings that went against Trump's March 6 order barring entry for people from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen for 90 days while the U.S. government implements stricter visa screening.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Could you imagine if Trump got some intel about an impending terrorist attack and asked for a travel ban just to let it get struck down once more and then allow the attack to happen so that he could tell America 'I told you so'?

hydruxo

Soon, Donald.
CjXPrs.gif

Jonnax

For 90 days? Well the first time it didn't go through was around that.

Did they set up their stricter visa screening?

This looks to be some distraction play.

Just posted this a short while ago in the Paris Accord thread, but it fits here too.

Talking Points Memo: Paris Decision Was Driven By the President's Rage and Fear

There's always been a core of advisors that wanted this outcome. But if not for the events of the last few weeks I think we'd have remained in the Paris accord. Trump got into a growing fight with Europe. France rejected Bannon's favorite Le Pen. He met with and got disrespected and criticized by the leaders of NATO and the EU. He got mad. Both Merkel and Macron spoke about him as a bully and a child. Macron has happily spoken publicly about over-manning Trump when they met in person.

This isn't about climate and it isn't about Trump's base. It's about sticking it to the leaders of Europe. That's what gave the Bannonites the edge. That and one other thing.

Trump is scared. He's entering a a widening gyre of political crisis over Russia. He's scared and he's angry and he needs friends. So he's more and more likely to hug his base – both the most aggressive advisors and the most committed supporters. He's trying to bring back Corey Lewandowski, his wildest and most troubling-driving advisor who has the unshakable loyalty and lickspittledom Trump now requires. Indeed, we can take it as a given that as the Russia scandal crisis deepens Trump will become more aggressive and more extreme in his policies both to maintain his emotional equilibrium and reinforce his backing from a shrinking base of supporters. This is as certain as night follows day.
As certain as night follows day.

Man he's throwing quite a tantrum today
Tossing out red meat to the only constituency that still loves him. Shoring up his base.

Trump: Before I became president I could only shit on my family and business partners but I wanted more! I wanted to take a shit so huge it'll land on people who's never done anything to me but they'll know. They'll know who I am, what I'm about, and that I president Trump has just shitted on them.

Top Bottom