• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Trump administration asks Supreme Court to immediately reinstate travel ban

for 90 days while the U.S. government implements stricter visa screening

Why does he need another 90 days to do that? It's already been more than 90 days since he tried the first travel ban with the same reason given.

Edit: lol

UberTag

I doubt this dumb traitor is trying to preserve a legacy. More like focus media attention and test his gorsuch purchase.
Pretty much. He wants to take his new toy in Gorsuch for a test drive.
This is a loyalty test through and through.

I'm pretty confident that even if Gorsuch votes for it that the rest of the 8 won't. They are people too and I'm sure they read and watch the news. They are aware that this executive is not normal and will refer to technicalities to slap his hand.

jiiikoo

Banned
I'm guessing he's been winning so much lately, the EU trip was full of winning. Macron and Merkel folded and even the Pope kissed his hand as a sign of submission to the biggest winner (bigger than Charlie Sheen), the cheetah blood winner now needs a reality check and loose a bit to keep the bad libruls in check?

But that's no-

3risbcx.jpg

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm pretty confident that even if Gorsuch votes for it that the rest of the 8 won't. They are people too and I'm sure they read and watch the news. They are aware that this executive is not normal and will refer to technicalities to slap his hand.

I feel fairly sure the ban would be ruled against by the SC, but if you're expecting 9-0 or 8-1 you're gonna be disappointed.

Could you imagine if Trump got some intel about an impending terrorist attack and asked for a travel ban just to let it get struck down once more and then allow the attack to happen so that he could tell America 'I told you so'?

You're ascribing some Frank Underwood levels of cunning to Trump that he simply doesn't have

Dr.Acula

Banned
Tack on a challenge of Roe V. Wade while you're bothering the Supreme Court why not, let's also make black people 3/5ths of a person again, too.

Piichan

Banned
Maybe he's hoping people will finally understand how dangerous the bad hombres from the Middle East are, now that he's sold a shit ton of weapons to them?

SCOTUS has not accepted cases where courts sometimes disagreed between them. Why would it take up a case where every court has struck against it?

EYEL1NER

"Hey, remember all that shit I talked about the judicial system and 'activist judges' and how I should be able to do what I want without you guys being able to stop me? Any chance you guys could overlook all that and do me a solid on this?"
What an ignoramus...

Does this request obligate the court to make a decision on the ban? Is there anything stopping the SC from punting to the decisions of the lower courts or refusing to hear the issue?

studyguy

The lower courts asked the most pertinent question at one point.

They said they needed 90 days to evaluate immigrant visa processes. No one could answer as to the status of those evaluations or if they were still even going on.

Kusagari

If they actually do rule on it then it will probably end up 5-4 with Kennedy being the voice of reason. I have zero faith in Roberts.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Does this request obligate the court to make a decision on the ban? Is there anything stopping the SC from punting to the decisions of the lower courts or refusing to hear the issue?

No, the Supreme Court can refuse to hear the case since there is no circuit split.

Top Bottom