• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Trump administration asks Supreme Court to immediately reinstate travel ban

Agent orange trying so hard to jam the 'distraction button' once more so eyes are on him instead of the huge, Russia sized storm brewing over the horizon.

Problem is he's done so many times without any long term thought the button is quickly falling apart, much like the administration, and keeps getting jammed so people easily catch onto the bullishit and carry on with the real important shit.

Like the judges who will look at the proposal.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Please administration, tell me how and why this is an "emergency". Give me figures, rates of crime by tourists and even immigrants from these countries. Something.

Otherwise fuck off. I'm reaching my breaking point.

Zolo

Agent orange trying so hard to jam the 'distraction button' once more so eyes are on him instead of the huge, Russia sized storm brewing over the horizon.

There's an investigation going on that's likely to last at least a year. The news for that isn't going anywhere.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
A terrorist attack would be a dream for this admin.
I'm pretty sure the smartest thing a terrorist can do in the current climate is to actually not do anything.

Trump himself is doing more damage to the country than any terrorist attack. Why interrupt him? An actual terrorist attack would kill less people than Trump's health care policy, and would only provide a focal point that America can unify under.

I'm pretty sure the smartest thing a terrorist can do in the current climate is to actually not do anything.

Trump himself is doing more damage to the country than any terrorist attack. Why interrupt him? An actual terrorist attack would kill less people than Trump's health care policy, and would only provide a focal point that America can unify under.

Wouldn't the best terrorist attack be one that threatened or hurt Trump himself? Even if Trump lived it would leave him and his base running scared and they're just as likely to cause as much if not more harm to Americans then another 9/11 repeat would.

Amory

Reminds me of this lol

300px-Von_Karma.png

Raven117

I have a bad feeling about this. Supreme Court might actually give this one to Trump.
I don't know. The Court is pretty tough when it comes to outright discrimination.

It's not like the 4th circuit is some bastion of liberalism.

Owzers

They are chasing wins that don't involve legislation, I doubt trump even knows or cares what his ban details.

Loxley

The funny thing is, the original ban was for 90 days. It's been well beyond that and, hey, we haven't been overrun with terrorists from any of the countries named in the ban (or any country for that matter) - crazy. So the Trump administration would somehow have to argue that we are under imminent threat from countries listed in the ban, but has absolutely zero evidence to point to in support of their argument.

There's a high likelihood that the SC simply refuses to hear the case. It's already been unanimously struck down by lower courts for perfectly sound reasoning, and the Trump administration has yet to provide a single shred of evidence that this ban would stop any sort of imminent threats to our national security.

Prepare to take another L, Trumpy.

“The President is not required to admit people from countries that sponsor or shelter terrorism, until he determines that they can be properly vetted and do not pose a security risk to the United States.”

In addition to his own dumbass words that originally called for an actual Muslim ban, he's already fighting such an uphill battle since these things have already been determined. Not to mention we have an obligation to accept these people considering we're actively contributing to the absolute fucking chaos in the middle east.

A terrorist attack would be a dream for this admin.

When we had our fav Kenyan Muslim Overlord at the helm, seemed like the FBI squashed all those wannabe jihadists (with exceptions of course) from getting anything done. DFW alone they were catching these fools left and right. Hope our new dear leader does not change this.

I really miss Obama I am still in the denial phase of Trump being president.

I have a bad feeling about this. Supreme Court might actually give this one to Trump.

I seriously doubt that even the Conservative judges are going to side with Trump. His executive order clearly violates the constitution. It's not like social issues where they have to see how vague statements in the constitution applies to certain situation. As long the state attorney generals put up a fight, they will succeed.

androvsky

I would not be surprised if this administration sat on intel and allowed an attack to happen purely to serve their heinous self-interests.

They're that legitimately evil.
The admin might, but the people that brought the intel to Trump will know. They can't keep the Russia investigation from constantly leaking juicy stuff, does anyone think they could keep the lid on a terrorist attack?

Xe4

Banned

Do you really think both Kennedy and Roberts are going to let this slide by? I doubt it, personally, especially given its luck in the lower courts.

Of course, we'll see, but I doubt the SC is even going to hear it. The way they've acted about it has made me feel that way.

If he really wants to ban countries that sponsor and shelter terrorism he should add a few to the list like Russia. Oh and not including countries just because you have a hotel there isn't obvious or anything either.

Do you really think both Kennedy and Roberts are going to let this slide by? I doubt it, personally, especially given its luck in the lower courts.

Of course, we'll see, but I doubt the SC is even going to hear it. The way they've acted about it has made me feel that way.

Honestly, I would rather hope they get involved so we can stop thinking about this ban permanently.

It's basically impossible on Trumps scale (based on USA internal laws as well as international ones) but they keep pushing lol. They're asking them to ignore how they reached their own recent judgements, "just do it". lol.

IaN_GAF

Keep on 'winning' like this and you won't need travel bans to keep people from coming to your country anymore.

The Adder

Banned
Could you imagine if Trump got some intel about an impending terrorist attack and asked for a travel ban just to let it get struck down once more and then allow the attack to happen so that he could tell America 'I told you so'?

Wouldn't come from any of the seven countries he's tried to ban.

ggx2ac

I'm going to agree with what someone else suggested that this is probably just a distraction for Trump to avoid talking about US leaving the Paris accord.

Pyrokai

I hope they do hear it and I hope it's struck down. Then there's a precident. Fuck this racist ass executive order till it dies.

Outside just gloom and pessimism, why do you say that? We've had two court circuits, one left leaning and one right leaning, strike it down. I don't see any specific reason to think this will go differently. Trump screwed himself by calling this a Muslim Ban several times before he backtracked and tried to say it was something else. Unfortunately for Trump, the courts are actually a place where what you say matters so matter how much you try to walk it back

I would not be surprised if this administration sat on intel and allowed an attack to happen purely to serve their heinous self-interests.

They're that legitimately evil.

This is gross.

Terrorists are not sitting around waiting on US policy decisions to strike one way or another. Trump is not rubbing his hands hoping for the death of thousands of US citizens by brown people with bombs.

The laptop ban was implemented based on real intel... and we know this because Trump leaked the source almost immediately to his buddies.

This ban will be shot down again because the president is a moron who couldn't keep the word "Muslim" out of his mouth, and they haven't produced any evidence that justifies the countries specifically on the list while excluding others.

So how does this work? Does the Supreme Court get a time period to decide when to act on this or something? Do they have to issue a response within a certain amount of time?

Wait, what? They're asking for the original 90 days, right? The original order was at the end of January, which would mean the original ask would have them supposedly having all the controls in place by lets say the start of May. Yet in June they're asking again for the original request of 90 days, which means the original request would have been completely ineffective anyway since obviously that period wasn't enough for them to get their new processes in place.

Right?

Ac30

This is gross.

Terrorists are not sitting around waiting on US policy decisions to strike one way or another. Trump is not rubbing his hands hoping for the death of thousands of US citizens by brown people with bombs.

The laptop ban was implemented based on real intel... and we know this because Trump leaked the source almost immediately to his buddies.

This ban will be shot down again because the president is a moron who couldn't keep the word "Muslim" out of his mouth, and they haven't produced any evidence that justifies the countries specifically on the list while excluding others.

http://www.economist.com/news/unite...e-individual-market-it-may-collapse?frsc=dg|c

He's trying to kill the ACA for personal political gain while harming millions. He doesn't give a fuck. I could see him secretly wishing for an attack, easily.

Top Bottom