• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Trump administration asks Supreme Court to immediately reinstate travel ban

Didn't he hire judge he likes? I think you might be right.

One, but that doesn't necessarily determine everything here.

Remember, this same Supreme Court - sans Gorsuch, mind - ruled against Republican gerrymandering in North Carolina recently, and part of the dissent was rooted more in the fact that the challengers hadn't proposed viable alternatives, rather than their challenge itself being incorrect.

Gutek

Outside just gloom and pessimism, why do you say that? We've had two court circuits, one left leaning and one right leaning, strike it down. I don't see any specific reason to think this will go differently. Trump screwed himself by calling this a Muslim Ban several times before he backtracked and tried to say it was something else. Unfortunately for Trump, the courts are actually a place where what you say matters so matter how much you try to walk it back

I can see the SC reaffirming the president's power when it comes to immigration. At the samt time making a point about judging the EO on its face, not looking at what Trump has said in the past.

akileese

Didn't he hire judge he likes? I think you might be right.

Well, Gorsuch, based on his court record, was closer to a centrist in the tenth circuit court of appeals, but it's important to note that he's pretty hamstrung by precedent there. The Supreme Court is a lot more loose since they don't have those restrictions so you don't really know how he'll vote. I would bet on him being far right but not extremist right. Basically another Scalia.

I can see the SC reaffirming the president's power when it comes to immigration. At the samt time making a point about judging the EO on its face, not looking at what Trump has said in the past.

Unfortunately for Trump, intent is very heavily factored into SC discrimination rulings. He has naturally televised campaign ads calling for the Muslim ban last fall.

The whole argument against the ban is that it's discrimination by the President, and that's what struck it down in courts before. Why would the SC just ignore what the President has said?

theWB27

The whole argument against the ban is that it's discrimination by the President, and that's what struck it down in courts before. Why would the SC just ignore what the President has said?

Because Gutek sees the worst in all this and nothing positive

p2535748

Okay, I know this is a dumb question, because obviously the answer is that this isn't about national security at all and it's all predicated on Islamophobia and racism, but ...

Wasn't this supposed to be a 90 day ban while they implemented tougher visa rules? Hasn't it been more than 90 days since they initially tried putting it in place? Why can't they just enact those proposed tougher visa rules without the ban?

They keep going back to the well with this "temporary travel ban" which is supposed to buy them time, but it seems like they've had the time they need, so I'm unclear what a "temporary" ban is supposed to do at this point.

Again, I know the actual answer here, I'm just wondering if there's some better/less damning explanation they're giving that I'm missing.

They had their 90 days to implement stricter screening. Why the need for the ban still? 😏

I thought of this last night, too. Like, it's already been more than 90 days since the first one, and almost 90 days since the second. I expected them to delay reinstatement indefinitely if it had passed the courts with excuses a la "I'm under a routine audit, nobody cares about that shit anymore, right?" but this is getting pretty stupid. I hope SCOTUS doesn't even hear the damn case.

Trey

Its face is what trump has said in the past.

Top Bottom