• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking WiiUews: Downloaded software can't be saved to the SD card

There's no reason to assume you can download software to multiple Wii U systems. Folks have been convinced of this for the past year due to some obscure e-mail response from a random NOA customer service rep, but NOTHING Nintendo has said even hints at this.

I've been assuming a 3DS-style "system transfer" option this whole time, and this only makes it more likely to be the case.
Exactly. If they don't even let you use a HDD full of games on another system, which is no different then using physical game discs on another system, why would they let you do more than that? The system is locked down.

OryoN

Let me just re-translate that stuff so as to not cause confusion. This all comes from the JP Wii U site's Q&A section:

Q. Can download software saved to USB media be played on another Wii U?
A. No. Download software can only be used on 1 Wii U per 1 USB media.

Q. Where is software that I purchased a download for saved to?
A. Internal memory or USB media. Download software can't be saved to the SD card.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/support/qa/software/index.html

Hmm... I wish the questions/answers were a bit more precise. The question was about were the software is downloaded to during the process upon purchase. What I get from that is; software is downloaded to either the internal memory or a USB storage device, not the SD card. OK fine.

I'm a bit confused because; based on the original question(were the software is downloaded to), one can interpret the answer one of two ways:

1) They are suggesting that you can not store downloaded software to an SD card, period, at any point in time.

OR...

2) The software cannot be directly downloaded to an SD card. This leaves the possibility that you may still be able to transfer the software after the download process is completed.

Not trying to split hairs here. I'm seriously not sure how to interpret the answer, especially given the context of the original question. I hope for clarification soon. If it's choice 1, that's a real bummer!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
So far it sounds just like wii's DRM
The fact that they don't elaborate on sharing user account downloads isn't a good sign. They focus on the fact that users of the same Wii U can access the content and completely ignore the question of whether that is also possible on other Wii U consoles after you log in. As if that would be ridiculous to even consider.

In addition, you can access the Wii Ware channel from a Wii U but you still need the original Wii console to transfer content over. Methods for transferring content between Wii U's are never mentioned.

Aeana

Exactly. If they don't even let you use a HDD full of games on another system, which is no different then using physical game discs on another system, why would they let you do more than that? The system is locked down.
It certainly is different. Content on a physical game disc isn't signed to a specific console/account, but the stuff on the hard drive is. You can't take XBLA games copied to a USB device on the 360 and immediately play it on another machine, either. You have to be authenticated with the proper account first.

warerare

Do we even know if we can log on to other peoples systems? Knowing Nintendo you won't be able to specify an account name of the system it will just have a list of accounts created on that system and will ask for a password if required.

Erethian

It's because all download data (even saves, I think) is encrypted on Nintendo devices as of the 3DS, and if you plugged your USB hard drive into another system it wouldn't have the necessary key to decrypt the data. Because I'm pretty sure every piece of encrypted software has its own key as well.

It certainly is different. Content on a physical game disc isn't signed to a specific console/account, but the stuff on the hard drive is. You can't take XBLA games copied to a USB device on the 360 and immediately play it on another machine, either. You have to be authenticated with the proper account first.

I mean conceptually it's the same. If 360 lets you do this just by signing in, no reason Wii U can't. Being able to sign into another console and download your games would represent even more freedom with your digital library, hence why I don't see how Nintendo would allow it.

JazzmanZ

I'm confused, didn't Nintendo say you could purchase content for your account via off a computer and tablet or whatever? Wouldn't that mean purchases are tied to the account and not just the one wii u?

boiled goose

good with gravy
For personal expectations, yes, but for discussion on GAF, it's not. It's just going to rile people up with unconfirmed misinformation and fill threads with stupid kneejerk reactions, just like this one.

In the absence of information, people are free to speculate.
If negative speculation is somehow harmful to Nintendo, then there is an incentive to release details.

cloudyy

I mean conceptually it's the same. If 360 lets you do this just by signing in, no reason Wii U can't.
Maybe every wiiu will have it's own encryption key generated randomly and only signing in with your account isn't enough to decrypt the data that's on the HDD.
I'm confused, didn't Nintendo say you could purchase content for your account via off a computer and tablet or whatever? Wouldn't that mean purchases are tied to the account and not just the one wii u?
I guess purchases are tied to your account but the games/data itself is tied to your console. The only question is if and how you'll be able to redownload your purchases on another wiiu using your account.

Aeana

I mean conceptually it's the same. If 360 lets you do this just by signing in, no reason Wii U can't.
It sounds like Nintendo just decided to encrypt the data to the Wii U console (probably as well as the account). So what that means is that you can't use the same data unless you redownload it. Until we have clarification about whether or not you gain the ability to redownload software on a new system if you associate it with your account, I think outrage might be a little premature.

Gowans

Guess no houses will have 2 Wiis

On 360 it works great, on the downloaded 360 anyone can play off or online.

The account that has downloaded can play on any 360 if signed into live and other accounts can play as long as that account us signed in.

Seems like a massive head ache, in an age of sharing iTunes accounts and app across multiple devices at the same time and seemlessly in device upgrades this WiiU method seems BONKERS!

Eusis

You can, in theory, clone that hard drive to another, or if possibly even just copy the relevant data off and put it on another. In any case you could then create infinite copies to use on any system you want, and thus it has to be locked in some manner, thus not like a physical disc at all. We just have to hope it's closer to 360 than Wii here and Nintendo just doesn't want to let people who log into their account use the games on an unauthorized machine.

Probably helps their case though that the Wii U itself is much more portable than the 360 ever was.

Gowans

It also removes the ability to throw your account and a few digital games onto USB and play at a friends with them on thier friends accounts.

I've only done this twice on 360 XBLA games but its nice to be able to do when you want to play local coop.

test_account

XP-39C²
There's no reason to assume you can download software to multiple Wii U systems. Folks have been convinced of this for the past year due to some obscure e-mail response from a random NOA customer service rep, but NOTHING Nintendo has said even hints at this.

I've been assuming a 3DS-style "system transfer" option this whole time, and this only makes it more likely to be the case.
Yeah, Nintendo havnt mentioned anything about it i think, so personally i'm not really expecting it. I'm curious how it will be though, especially if the content will be locked to the system even if there is an account system in place.

Erethian

They did. This is just concerning whether you can take your hard drive loaded up with game data and plug it into any old Wii U and play the games on that. Doesn't have anything to do with logging into your account from different systems or whatnot.

elty

I think it is basically saying:

"You can download the game into USB storage, but you cannot just plug in that USB into another WiiU and think it will work".

I supposed if you really need to replace your WiiU, you will have to download it again (with your NN ID).

Ok, what if your original 360 breaks? You'll be forever forced to log-in to play your previously bought games, no?

Nope. You transfer your licenses to a new console and forever on that console you wont need to be logged in to use your purchased titles.

GAF panicking over a poorly-worded translation?

Shocking.

Yeah, because we should give the benefit of the doubt to the company that just released a brand new handheld that still ties purchases to hardware instead of the user.

WaterChroma

Neo Member
Well at least you don't need to be online to play the games and software you download. Maybe it will be easy to transfer the software to a new console? Ether way lets not panic.

Well at least you don't need to be online to play the games and software you download. Maybe it will be easy to transfer the software to a new console? Ether way lets not panic.

You don't have to be online to play downloaded Wii, DSi, or 3DS games either. I don't think anyone assume you'd have to be.

Is it just me or is all this recent news about the Wii U give the impression that it's a very unfocused product? It seems very half way in terms of features. With almost every bullet point, it's like you can do most of what you've Grown accustomed to doing with the HD twins, BUT.....

For someone buying the console for Nintendo's first party output, these things don't seem a big issue but I'm getting increasingly convinced that the 3rd party market and the people who primarily game on the HD twins will be eventually lost, if they ever had them in the first place.

I don't even think this issue is that bad, just again increasing misguided and short sighted.

Margalis

Banned
Is it just me or is all this recent news about the Wii U give the impression that it's a very unfocused product? It seems very half way in terms of features. With almost every bullet point, it's like you can do most of what you've Grown accustomed to doing with the HD twins, BUT.....

Yeah, backwards compatibility for example. On the WiiU you have to boot into Wii mode, whereas on the PS3 and 360 you can just, you know, put in an XBox or PS2 disc and it just works!

For someone buying the console for Nintendo's first party output, these things don't seem a big issue but I'm getting increasingly convinced that the 3rd party market and the people who primarily game on the HD twins will be eventually lost, if they ever had them in the first place.

I don't even think this issue is that bad, just again increasing misguided and short sighted.

It's a good assumption. They are looking at Wii owners and looking at them as the market; not really at other console owners. So the ideal case is that you're a person who:

- Has Wii controllers lying around
- Is happy using the old Wii menu, might even be used to it, for their old games.
- Is looking at the Wii U as an upgrade to their Wii NOT as a third or second console.

Nothing about the direction of the product says otherwise. I don't think it's unfocussed at all. It's focussed very clearly about two miles left where all the pundits and forum dwellers think it is. They actually don't care that much about third-party parity - they never did. This is about 'lateral thinking on withered technology' - in this case, the millions of Wii households and Wii-trained owners. I suspect that within Nintendo, keeping the Wii menu for Wii software was considered a total positive.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I don't give a rat's ass about content mobility across consoles (bulk transfer is enough for me), but no content on the built-in SD slot (while I still can do it via a USB SD reader) is a WTF decision to me. So WTF, nintendo?

I don't give a rat's ass about content mobility across consoles (bulk transfer is enough for me), but no content on the built-in SD slot (while I still can do it via a USB SD reader) is a WTF decision to me. So WTF, nintendo?

It's a little weird but far from a deal breaker IMO. Personally I don't much care.

32GB SD cards aren't enough for retail downloads anyway.
The system is portable enough that I don't see picking the whole thing up and moving it as being less of an inconvenience than re-downloading a game to a friend's console.
I'd guess software transfers will work similarly to the 3DS system transfer which is fine by me.

Whatever, it's stupid but I'm just glad you can still download shop content to a USB drive, cuz that would've been meltdown worthy.

Because of this, I'm now wondering if there will be restrictions to where we can store our VC/WW content (like how on 3DS you can only store DSi shop content to the internal memory)

That's some great DRM Nintendo. You'd think they'd offer something at least as good as PSN/XBL, but no, still living in the stone age. Won't be buying anything from the eShop.

This just in, you can apparently store downloaded games on sd cards on 360/ps3

What an absolutely stupid comment to make in response to this news. Every offence intended.

wsippel

Banned
Typical SD cards are simply too slow I guess. Even class 10 only guarantees 10MB/s, which is roughly half the speed games actually need (~22MB/s). Sounds like a support nightmare to me.

Erethian

Whatever, it's stupid but I'm just glad you can still download shop content to a USB drive, cuz that would've been meltdown worthy.

Because of this, I'm now wondering if there will be restrictions to where we can store our VC/WW content (like how on 3DS you can only store DSi shop content to the internal memory)

You can store game content (for a specific game) on internal storage or USB hard drive, but not both at the same time.

Think again, I called this months ago. They'll introduce accounts and still tie the games to the hardware.

Classic Nintendo. They must work overtime to come up with shit like this.
I think people are misinterpreting this. When you download the game, that specific instance of the game code will be tied to the system it was downloaded on, s you can't download the game/copy onto multiple HDD's and share them with friends. If you switch to a new Wii U you just have to download the game code again instead of just transferring it from your old console.

It's sad that the Wii U isn't being compared to something in 2012 instead of 2005/2006.

Regale me with tales of mainstream consoles already released in 2012

I didn't make the comparison in the first place: h_prestige made the ridiculous inference that sd executable support was somehow already a standard on 360/ps3

Top Bottom