• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

21XX

Banned
On a technical level, I'm certainly not impressed. It looks cool stylistically, but I'm not sure anyone could really say it's incredible technically.

But, I'm loving what they're showing. It's exactly what I wanted it to be. "Hey, here's the world. Go explore."

That and I LOVE no over world music. I'm sure it'll kick in at some point, but the ambient nature sound is so great.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Loved the fuck out of everything, art style trumps hardware limitations for me, by a mile.

Tuck

Stamina bar from SS is back.

Good.

I hope combat gets much more difficult. The system itself looks solid, I just want it to be hard!

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Can't get over the awesomeness.
The only thing that would make this better is character creation, which is odd, as it seems Link is an actual character this time around with his name being uttered. You'd think a more free gameplay style, and little story being thrust upon you, would hint towards totally immersing yourself, especially with clothing customization and the like. Wonder why they went this way...

Griss

This is why people shouldn't judge the game based on a trailer when we knew hrs worth of gameplay was coming.

You should always judge whatever is available to you. The whole 'wait for more info if your impression is negative, let fly with the cheering if it's positive' is an asinine viewpoint to me.

Servbot24

Banned
Sort of like the idea of scavenging for weapons. Would be ballsy if they kept that all the way through the game and never let you get comfortable with a single sword. Anouma did mention that "this is the cycle of the game, you get into battles and steal your enemies weapons" or something to that effect.

That's something I really liked about WW.

Crom

Looks very meh, sorry :/

How so? I like that it started and threw you into exploration instead of making you carry cats and such for an hour before you can play the game.

Look at the 1st hour of any Zelda game. They start slow. At least in this one you can run around and explore the world right away

Intel_89

I'm not a huge fan of this either, sorry but I don't want a The Legend of Witcher. I'm happy for people who are digging this though, hopefully the game will be good.

Malus

the difference is the last couple of 3d zeldas have had empty overworlds that still completely lacked focus

it's not like an empty overworld suddenly means everything is "focused". you're giving them too much credit.

Skyward Sword had a super dense overworld, unless you're just talking about the sky. To me they clearly made it extremely dense in response to the TP criticism of emptiness.

The more I see the better this game gets.

This might actually end up being my game of the show and I sure as fuck didn't expect that coming into this stream.

Tuck

Oh thats interesting about the music - I didnt even notice.

Theres no Hyrule field theme playing in the background. Just the sound of nature.

ghibli99

I hated the trailer, but this opening is really bringing me back around.

I want to play this game. This is good. They really are using all the open-world gameplay tropes.

That trailer was shit though. Really bad. And I'm still disappointed that the combat looks simplistic and the other stuff isn't voiced.

But that gameplay demo...? Yeah. I like it.
Happy to hear it. :)

ultrazilla

Loved the fuck out of everything, art style trumps hardware limitations for me, by a mile.

I agree.

As a matter of fact, I had been holding out on making this Zelda my *first* Zelda game for my Wii U but now I want to play a Zelda game so I'm going to the eshop right now and buying Twilight Princess. :)

Pinky

Banned
I'm getting the feeling that this is a re-make of the original or something. Desolate landscape, emphasis on exploration and adventure, Old Man at the beginning... crumbling temples.

And...

JRSb.png

frustrating-zelda-burn-bush.png

ramparter

Banned
I now realize why series disappointed my after Wind Waker. I thought they were going open world, collect random stuff direction but Twilight Princess turned away completely from all that, it had great dungeons but all the other stuff was missing. Breath of the Wild looks like it has everything I wanted.

[NaK]

Am I the only one who would like to see a grittier Zelda game, with mature themes and horror elements?
I remember reading the comics in Nintendo Magazine as a child. Especially a chapter where Link had to retrieve an amulet from within the eye of a gigantic spider, after climbing a large tower and fighting it.
And he had a wolflike arm with claws, which he received because he tried to reach into the dark world earlier through a portal or something.

Stuff gave me nightmares.
Nightmares which yet another "cute" and cartoonish Zelda wont, and it makes me sad.

Think zelda mixed with Witcher and Dark Souls, and you have the ultimate game.

a916

Hopefully he'll walk into a "city" equivalent soon because this looks meh. After a year of Fallout/Witcher and all these dense well crafted open worlds, this seems like a few steps behind.

It doesn't help that he's just randomly playing parts of the game versus other games where they decide what they want to show you to highlight the game better.

Griss

Okay, now this part of the map looks barren and bland to me. The initial part was cool.

My problem with the map is that it doesn't look like a 'real place'. I don't know if it's not high fidelity enough or what, but it looks like a really big 'level' rather than an actual field or valley or whatnot, you know?

I like open-world games where the wild feels like the actual real-world wild.

Garlador

You should always judge whatever is available to you. The whole 'wait for more info if your impression is negative, let fly with the cheering if it's positive' is an asinine viewpoint to me.

"What was available" to us was the knowledge gameplay was coming to show someone actually playing the game to allay or assuage any fears. That's context as well, and it factors into judgment.

More accurately, to not lock oneself INTO an opinion with the knowledge that content will be demonstrated through a different, more interactive lens much sooner. I try not to "love" or "hate" anything I see until I get a clearer picture of what I'm looking at. It's like hating a puzzle after only putting down two pieces.

I'm not digging the animation for this latest Zelda game, or even the title, but the gameplay looks really, really good. Definitely looking forward to playing it.

LordRaptor

Wow, when they said they were starting from scratch they weren't kidding - this is less a OoT style Zelda game (which has been the template since the series moved to 3D) and more like a Nintendo take on The Elder Scrolls.

I am super intrigued by this.

Flux

Looks really interesting. It feels like the best part of other Zelda games coming together (although we don't see much or any of the dungeons). I liked the environmental interactions and how your items appear to work. Also shield parries

Top Bottom