• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Cyborg

Hmm, looks okey-ish. I expected much more to be honest.

- looks to cartoony, expected much more mature look
- looks so empty
- dull fights looks so easy
- the world is big but doesnt seem alive

let the defence force begin to prove that my opinion is wrong

ghibli99

I'm digging this Treehouse demo. Lots of interactivity. Trees, bushes, rocks, walls, etc. aren't just window dressing. Nature looks and sounds alive. Hayao Miyazaki talked a lot about those quiet "pillow word moments" in his films, where you just take in the small details of the world with no characters or exposition. Appreciating wind blowing through grass, watching shadows of clouds pass over the ground, listening to the sound of water flowing through a creek, etc. I feel like that mentality was a driving goal of what they wanted to convey here. Personally, I love it so much.

OK, stopping the stream now. I'm good. :)

I think the game looks like it will be fun and a needed change of pace for the series. I also like the subtitle. It's clear that they thought Zelda needed to break out of the mold a bit and that's bound to upset some people who like games in a series to stick to the formula or call themselves something else. I'm not one of those people so I'm delighted.

I'm also not one of those people that is terribly disappointed when the graphical techniques and animation on display don't match up to the state-of-the-art. Better graphics are always welcome but that kind of thing doesn't dampen my desire to play a game. Frankly I feel sorry for those who watch a reveal like this one and focus their responses on it's technical shortcomings. Different strokes and all that, but if I was that type of person I would have stopped caring about Nintendo long ago.

HeySeuss

No heart drops, only from food. Although she said no heart drops from grass so maybe that means enemies will still drop hearts?

Astral Dog

- looks so empty

You are not alone in this thread.

Illucio

Banned

- looks so empty

I agree with every point.

The gameplay won't change...*shrugs* You can always watch it now and later.

You really can't understand this? I find it distracting. Like driving with a smeared windshield.

I can assure you I'll being looking at the game play intensely later tonight.

Just saw the trailer. Good on Nintendo for still supporting the Wii.

cm-punk.gif

Katori

I had my suspicions, but now it's confirmed that this is after Wind Waker. OR maybe the timelines merged or some shit idk.

Coffinhal

- looks so empty

Another opinion proposed based on a few seconds of (probably early) fights and no actual facts on how empty or alive the world is.

ElfArmy177

Not feeling it. I'm a huge Zelda fan... but this looks boring,bare and desolate. The Wii u is NOT powerful enough to bring their apparent vision to life. This looks like everquest 2... without the MMO part. Art style is OK.. but overall technicalities in graphics look terrible. (Yea I'm aware art style wise this looks better than everquest 2... but it reminds me of the technical aspects of one tree in an entire field because noone can run the game otherwise)

- looks so empty

i'm not gonna try to prove that you're wrong, i'm just gonna point out how nebulous and meaningless half of your complaints (as well as most along the same vein) are, with questions. like, what would be a mature look in the context of zelda? why were you expecting it? do you earnestly believe that literally the first fight in any given game fully represents the combat throughout the game? etc. etc.

SuomiDude

I really want to watch all of this, but I don't want to get spoiled :( I'll just leave the video on and check it out every now and then). The wait for this game's release will be DIFFICULT!

d00d3n

So clothing items have some kind of armor class. First pair of trousers was a "2", now he has upgraded to a "4".

Sort of like the idea of scavenging for weapons. Would be ballsy if they kept that all the way through the game and never let you get comfortable with a single sword. Anouma did mention that "this is the cycle of the game, you get into battles and steal your enemies weapons" or something to that effect.

Pinky

Banned
This is the second game in the series I'll skip entirely (first was that ALTTP sequel).
Last game I played to completion was Twilight Princess (meh game overall), hugely disappointed by the second wii game and the DS ones.

So, no, not over dramatic. Just over... yeah, it's just over for me :)

Your decision, of course. I just think dropping off completely because of a trailer is very premature and hasty. Just my 2 cents.

- looks so empty

Have you played a Zelda game before?

maxcriden

I kind of just don't understand not being comfortable with hunting here when we all know it's going to be littered with as many abstractions as the combat is.

When you fight a monster, with your sword, are you violently dismembering it, until it's on the ground, bloody and dead?
nah you wack at it a couple times till it pops in a puff of smoke. and drops a heart or money or some shit.
I don't expect hunting to be much different in this regard. In the video, your arrow doesn't even penetrate your 'hunt'. It kind of just strikes your target and appears to knock it out.
but to each his own, I guess

Do you mean actual animals or would that include fictional as well?

You shoot "animals" as far back as the NES Zelda.

Not trying to call you out, just looking for clarification.

Not harsh, but I definitely don't understand it. And that's a-ok if that's your thing. Doesn't bother me at all. But don't try to paint me as some aggressive force against your morals just because I didn't frame my question in ultra-politeness.

In any case, you've never had an issue with Zelda before this? Honest question. Killing hoards of goblins, knights, birds, frogs, fish --- there has been tons of killing.

You probably don't have to hunt. It is likely optional. You said that you are a meat eater but you are upset about video game hunting? Just trying to understand

I'm a huge animal lover and pretty much a vegetarian these days. But for me personally, I don't mind hunting in videogames, so long as it's not drawn out and cruel.

You all make good points. Thank you.

21XX, I guess we are getting a bit off-topic so I'll PM you, but my intention definitely wasn't to paint you in a negative way.

d00d3n

I really want to watch all of this, but I don't want to get spoiled :( I'll just leave the video on and check it out every now and then). The wait for this game's release will be DIFFICULT!

Nothing substantial has been spoiled this far imo. I have watched all of it.

Top Bottom