• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Kinokou

From the half hour of Treehouse I've seen it seems like they threw Zelda assets, Ghibli aesthetics, Skyrim and Shadow of the Colossus into a pot, stirred and are now ready to serve us a game that looks like it can be the new alttp/oot.

Time to by a Wii U.

Alienous

I find it funny the moment people start complaining about Zelda being for babies, a boss shos up and one-shots Link Dark Souls style.

And the player was also pretty competent too, knowing what he's doing by climbing and trying to mine him.

Not even a boss.

Legend of Zelda: The Rektoning

Trilobit

Gold Member
I am not really getting the feel of a living and breathing world that I got from this earlier image.

5FIZW5O.jpg

It feels rather barren and boring to be honest from this short trailer, but hopefully I am wrong. I have longed for a similar grand adventure as Wind Waker for quite a while.

AniHawk

played the demo and it's zelda. climbing on shit is fun. i miss the roll button. the world appears to be huge like what oot promised 20 years ago.

Not

Banned
From the half hour of Treehouse I've seen it seems like they threw Zelda assets, Ghibli aesthetics, Skyrim and Shadow of the Colossus into a pot, stirred and are now ready to serve us a game that looks like it can be the new alttp/oot.

Time to by a Wii U.

Nah, hwait for that NX.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I am not really getting the feel of a living and breathing world that I got from this earlier image.

5FIZW5O.jpg

It feels rather barren and boring to be honest from this short trailer, but hopefully I am wrong. I have longed for a similar grand adventure as Wind Waker for quite a while.

Psst. All of those green things - they are living, breathing things too.

5FIZW5O.jpg

And you didn't watch any of the actual gameplay streams?

Steejee

Just got home and watched this via the eShop, which is always far better quality than Youtube, and...yeah. Time to go dark until March. I eagerly await the NX version.

5FIZW5O.jpg

Thats because thats the 4K shot if I recall. It also looks photoshopped.

5FIZW5O.jpg

Watch more than the trailer

Not

Banned

5FIZW5O.jpg

Hey go ahead and have a seat in that "I Only Watched the Trailer" section over there

5FIZW5O.jpg

Well, good news, it can't possibly be as barren as Wind Waker.

Can someone explain to me what makes a world not barren?

Because from this very small area of the game, there's so much interactively with the world and stuff you can do already without including traditional Zelda stuff like Dungeons. I'm a bit confused here.

sfried

5FIZW5O.jpg

Wait a sec, I don't recall that pic having such a drastic bokeh/depth-of-field blur effect on the grass.

Also I do think the random house was seen in the Treehouse walkthough, so I assume there might be more, but are cordoned off beyond the plateau footage we are currently seeing.

Man I really wish this had a Direct. This stream is directionless, and while the content is good, we're having to wade through whatever the players are doing here.

Being such an open world game, it really would have benefited from focusing on specific features of the game. The playthrough doesn't really show the features very efficiently.

Maybe we'll get one later.

played the demo and it's zelda. climbing on shot is fun. i miss the roll button. the world appears to be huge like what oot promised 20 years ago.

I said it earlier, this game feels like the version of Ocarina supported by the ideas they had for the 64DD add-on.

Trilobit

Gold Member
And you didn't watch any of the actual gameplay streams?

Watch more than the trailer

Hey go ahead and have a seat in that "I Only Watched the Trailer" section over there

Oh, haven't seen them yet, only trailer. Brb! Hope they'll change my mind.

Yeah. That is a 'shopped image.

Oh... well, anyhow the original image still gave a more breathing sensation, but I'm watching the stream and it seems to give a better sense of the game. Must say that it was a rather poorly constructed trailer. And the two women are great commentators.

Because from this very small area of the game, there's so much interactively with the world and stuff you can do already without including traditional Zelda stuff like Dungeons. I'm a bit confused here.

People tune for two minutes and start making conclusions instead of following this 3 hours stream.

Diffense

The best praise I can give this game is that I want to play it.
I think it's pretty and the world looks fun to explore and discover things.

Raitaro

People seem to have very different ideas of what they want from "open world".

On one hand, you have people who want a world full of quests and people and "stuff". On the other hand, you have people who are interested in having a world that you can interact with endlessly. The examples I'd for this would be Skyrim vs. Metal Gear Solid V. One is narrative heavy and the other is mechanics heavy. This game seems to be much more mechanics-heavy, focusing more on an open-world "sandbox" style experience where the player can explore and interact with the world in a multitude of different ways. Instead of people and story to discover, the world is more of a conduit for the player to discover things -- be they enemies, items, ruins, etc. The other is more of a narrative-heavy approach: where the open world is a conduit for storytelling. Neither are "wrong" approaches, of course, but I think this is simply a problem with the term "open world" itself.

A third, final definition would be more a "ubisoft" open world design. Where the world is a conduit for tasks. And given tasks, in turn, give the player an excuse to keep moving through the world. In this game it seems like I'm going to want to explore for the sake of exploring. There seems to be a lot of unique things out there to discover and I can't wait to experiment.

Anyway, in terms of Zelda's take on open world design, I am very happy. My greatest fear was that there would be nothing to do between "landmarks" as it were. Just an endless trek from dungeon to dungeon and terrain. However, this stream has convinced me that getting sidetracked by interesting locales in the distance and experimenting with the environment and mechanics will be half of the fun. MGSV surprised me in this way, and I hope Zelda does as well.

Good post.

I agree with you all the way though my fear right now is that for this game, the landmarks you mention have mostly been omitted as end goals while the sidetrack stuff you do along the journey might have taken centre stage and become the main game. If we can do all the stuff we've seen and still delve deep into challenging dungeons or visit towns full of quirky characters where one can sell stuff for instance, I'd be very happy as that is what I've always wanted to do ever since seeing the oldest games' concept art and playing through the 3D games thinking the parts between landmarks could be more content-rich and meaningful.

If this game however is mostly what we've seen so far with only the shrines and very rare dungeon to mix things up, for me they went too far into the direction of an item collecting / management and hunting game where most of the action is limited to and justified by such Day Z / Monster Hunter style crafting and surviving.

Gambit

played the demo and it's zelda. climbing on shit is fun. i miss the roll button. the world appears to be huge like what oot promised 20 years ago.

how do the weapons feel? Did you do any battles?

I will probably miss Skyward Sword battles...

Aldric

Yeah l'm completely baffled. World looks super natural and believable, it's teeming with loot and secrets and you can interact with tons of stuff. lgenuinely don't get what's "barren" about it. ls it the lack of NPCs?

Jaagen

Wait a sec, I don't recall that pic having such a drastic bokeh/depth-of-field blur effect on the grass.

Also I do think the random house was seen in the Treehouse walkthough, so I assume there might be more, but are cordoned off beyond the plateau footage we are currently seeing.

Yeah. That is a 'shopped image.

Err, weren't those games hub worlds + individual levels?

It's about the experimentation and feel of the game. That gif where Link is riding a shield looks just as fun as Mario riding a Koopa shell in 64.

64 had really good controls and a physics engine that was irresistible to play around with - I get that same feeling with this Zelda game.

Illucio

Banned
Man I really wish this had a Direct. This stream is directionless, and while the content is good, we're having to wade through whatever the players are doing here.

Being such an open world game, it really would have benefited from focusing on specific features of the game. The playthrough doesn't really show the features very efficiently.

Maybe we'll get one later.

I feel the same exact way.

The game looks great, a little disappointed in a few things but overall I don't have too many negatives to say about the game. Mostly positive.

But this stream is awful.

It's about the experimentation and feel of the game. That gif where Link is riding a shield looks just as fun as Mario riding a Koopa shell in 64.

64 had really good controls and a physics engine that was irresistible to play around with - I get that same feeling with this Zelda game.

Ohhhh sorry, I get what you mean! A lot of people say sandbox when they mean open world, but you meant it in a literal sense. Yeah, I get what you mean totally.

Idiot

Neo Member
Why? It shows nothing that isn't possible on a 360 or PS3 even. It's also cell shaded so that seems to fool you a lot.

Nintendo has always done a great job using the visuals of a game to make it look astonishing, I have a good bit of faith in them when it comes to that.

On that note, the visuals in this game are gorgeous. As many others have said, the Ghibli-esque stylings are wonderful for this. I just feel happy each time I see more gameplay from the Treehouse stream.

Top Bottom