• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Vire

Wow, I'm so happy!

Just got home to see some beautiful Zelda gifs in this thread.

Can someone pretty please link me to an archive of what I missed while I was at work?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
You have a character you can talk to. Maybe give him a bit more character through the dialogue? Just seems like there's no depth to the writing. I guess I've just grown out of basic baby writing of Nintendo games and crave more depth nowadays. I only play Nintendo for Monolith Soft's games anyway.

Too many Nintendo fans confuse juvenile writing with charm, unfortunately.
This post contains so much charm..

KHlover

Banned
I love how powerful that enemy is. Actually I love everything about this game so far. Incredible good and we only saw the very, very fist parts of the game.

Btw...that line is really, really, REALLY long! Damn, this Zelda is bringing Nintendo back in the focus of the media and ganing fans. Some german news sites already wrote about the game. And i mean "normal" news sites and not those for video games.

Yup. Frontpage of spiegel.de atm

You have a character you can talk to. Maybe give him a bit more character through the dialogue? Just seems like there's no depth to the writing. I guess I've just grown out of basic baby writing of Nintendo games and crave more depth nowadays. I only play Nintendo for Monolith Soft's games anyway.

But the writing in Xenoblade Chronicles X is passionless and borderline silly.

I mean, according to you anyway.

I'm pretty sure no one is confusing your posts with charm.

Ulysses 31

qnQ0i30.png

tumblr_mc3z9cgo1a1qj8v1utf.gif

Timeaisis

People seem to have very different ideas of what they want from "open world".

On one hand, you have people who want a world full of quests and people and "stuff". On the other hand, you have people who are interested in having a world that you can interact with endlessly. The examples I'd for this would be Skyrim vs. Metal Gear Solid V. One is narrative heavy and the other is mechanics heavy. This game seems to be much more mechanics-heavy, focusing more on an open-world "sandbox" style experience where the player can explore and interact with the world in a multitude of different ways. Instead of people and story to discover, the world is more of a conduit for the player to discover things -- be they enemies, items, ruins, etc. The other is more of a narrative-heavy approach: where the open world is a conduit for storytelling. Neither are "wrong" approaches, of course, but I think this is simply a problem with the term "open world" itself.

A third, final definition would be more a "ubisoft" open world design. Where the world is a conduit for tasks. And given tasks, in turn, give the player an excuse to keep moving through the world. In this game it seems like I'm going to want to explore for the sake of exploring. There seems to be a lot of unique things out there to discover and I can't wait to experiment.

Anyway, in terms of Zelda's take on open world design, I am very happy. My greatest fear was that there would be nothing to do between "landmarks" as it were. Just an endless trek from dungeon to dungeon and terrain. However, this stream has convinced me that getting sidetracked by interesting locales in the distance and experimenting with the environment and mechanics will be half of the fun. MGSV surprised me in this way, and I hope Zelda does as well.

any word on container hearts and/or their pieces?

zelda-wii-u-game-awards__large.png

We can see more hearts in the off screen footage from the Game Awards but I don't think we've had any word on earning hearts in the latest build outside of temporary ones from eating food. I imagine they are scattered around like usual.

Wow, this is one of the most embarassing posts i saw in the last few months. Enough internet for today I guess.

Has anyone a picture of the whole map? They twice zoomed out and ahowed how big the game is and it seems incredible huge...even bigger then when it was shown at the VGA I would say.

And I love the explosions. A friend of mine and me actual said that it looks a lot like chinese firework. ;)

Not

Banned
THIS fucking Steppe Talus fight

Shadow of Colossus vibes even more

And you just wander into him!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Amazing GIFs. The physics and playfulness of the interactions of objects and encouragement of experimentation really reminds me of those other sandbox games Nintendo made, Mario 64 and Sunshine.

Has anyone made GIFs of the boulder rolling? And there was this bit in the stream where the wind was literally blowing the torch flames onto the grass and setting everything on fire!

sfried

I find it funny the moment people start complaining about Zelda being for babies, a boss shos up and one-shots Link Dark Souls style.

And the player was also pretty competent too, knowing what he's doing by climbing and trying to mine him.

Don't know why they're making so much out of cooking system. Obviously it's new for Zelda, but it's not exactly a new mechanic - seems incredibly similar to Skyrim where you guess ingredients and see if they make a good/bad outcome.

Pinky

Banned
Dear Nintendo,

Based on what I've seen so far, I want to apologize for being bitter and angry at the delays for this game. Keep doing what you're doing. This is truly shaping up to be one hell of a ride and I can't wait to go on it!

Thank you!

Top Bottom