• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Hmm
i6wbVL2.png
When yall gon stop quoting every old guy in Zelda with the King of red lions? That kind of design been in Zelda 1, Skyward Sword

Raitaro

Things that are worrying/disappointing me:

- The world looks very empty with not a whole lot going on.

- Pop-in.

- Another Zelda game that looks very easy.

- The stamina meter should be on the side of the screen, not right next to Link.

- The climbing looks ridiculously slow.

- No voice acting for NPC's (really annoyed with this).

Other than that it looks fairly solid. The trailer looked amazing, but the more gameplay I watch the more boring it kinda seems.

Agree with all points except the last one (I think).

The Treehouse presenters keep talking about the game as if every encounter is difficult and as if the world is ominous, difficult to survive in and filled with content but all I see are empty spaces filled with slowly scalable walls, tons of collectible items and really easy encounters here and there that in no way stimulate the player to use any of the available tactics or found items. Maybe the opening areas are tuned this way to not seem daunting but I fear that the team is actually affraid or unwilling to make Zelda challenging again (like the oldest games were) or provide difficulty options at least.

Edit: I'll also add tedious cooking and item preparation after watching the latest footage. Zelda games for me were always about direct combat and puzzle solving action with occasional item management - not about endlessly cooking foods to increase my no. of hearts or stamina regeneration almost like in Monster Hunter or some Dragon Quests. In general I'm more of a permanent upgrade fan than temporary boost fan when it comes to character development and abilities. Will it really remain fun to cook multiple dishes before heading into a difficult area (assuming those will exist) or is this just a way to make the game more "survival" based and justify all the stuff you can collect?

Also, did Miyamoto (a short while ago) mention that he tends to find all the item collecting tedious (being a lazy gamer, like I think he said) but that the level of polish made him warm up to it? Sure sounds like some backhanded table flipping criticism to me...criticism that I might agree with going by what I've seen so far.

tesla246

Hmmm, ok yeah it looks amazing, the world feels so alive! Going on a media blackout from now on will be hard, but I will try nonetheless.

bachikarn

I think GameExplain said the premise of the game is that Ganon destroyed Hyrule but was sealed in Hyrule Castle. That happens 100 years before the start of the game.

It wouldn't be shocking for the guy in the beginning to be the King of Hyrule, but I doubt it is literally the Kind of Red Lions. Instead it is probably the King of Hyrule when Ganon came 100 years ago.

Alright, having little puzzle chambers strewn around a Zelda game is a pretty natural progression for including puzzles in Zelda. And the Stasis ability alone will make some interesting puzzles.

Anyone catch what the Spirit Orb does?

It feels like a babies open world game.

Daww, babies first troll. Name other fantasy adventure open world games that actually put an emphasis on survival and exploration? Games that aren't primarily about that either (since Zelda will still have dungeons and bosses which will almost assuredly trump those in any other open world game)

The way the dialogue is written is weird. It's written in a way that makes it feel one step away from saying, "This is a strange old man".

Also the dialogue is just crap and really basic.

It's dialogue that sets out to do what it does? And Succeeds? I'm sorry but you really have no idea what you're talking about. I recommend not embarrassing yourself further.

Frodo

OMG THIS TRAILER!

It topped the all-time-favourite Twilight Princess trailer for me. It is quiet and beautiful. It shows a lot of new gameplay elements, it has beautiful beautiful music, and it is a very hard to resist invitation to play the game.

I'm in love for it. I need this game now.

Not to mention that it confirms Voice Acting.

The way the dialogue is written is weird. It's written in a way that makes it feel one step away from saying, "This is a strange old man".

Also the dialogue is just crap and really basic. Like no effort at all.

Jesus Christ.

I do find it impressive that you find a way to ironically describe your own posting habits inside of each and every one of your posts. Hence, the bolded.

skypunch

Banned
Daww, babies first troll. Name other fantasy adventure open world games that actually put an emphasis on survival and exploration? Games that aren't primarily about that either (since Zelda will still have dungeons and bosses which will almost assuredly trump those in any other open world game)

Xenoblade for one. Minecraft, too. And what is survival when the game looks so piss easy and are showered with weapons everywhere you go?

chadboban

OMG THIS TRAILER!

It topped the all-time-favourite Twilight Princess trailer for me. It is quiet and beautiful. It shows a lot of new gameplay elements, it has beautiful beautiful music, and it is a very hard to resist invitation to play the game.

I'm in love for it. I need this game now.

Not to mention that it confirms Voice Acting.

Have you been watching the gameplay today man? So much cool shit!

Really don't understand difficulty complaints.

A) it's the opening 1% of the game, and

B) it's Zelda, not Dark Souls, and 3D Zeldas have been traditionally much more difficult than 2D ones anyway. I have never finished a 3D Zelda but have finished every 2D one (bar Zelda 2 which I've never played). I think 3D Zelda is generally more difficult than most 3D action/adventure games. Over the past couple of months I've played The Last Of Us, followed by The Witcher 3 (both on normal difficulty), followed by Wind Waker HD, and Wind Waker was undeniably the most difficult and unforgiving, with lots of sudden difficulty spikes.

linkboy

So the NX will have some kind of support of touch screen if its going to be the same experience on WiiU and NX

Of course the NX version will look much better with better frame-rate and all that good stuff

The game is fully playable with the Pro U controller (thankfully), so it doubt the controls controls are that important to the game.

linkboy

Really don't understand difficulty complaints.

A) it's the opening 1% of the game, and

B) it's Zelda, not Dark Souls, and 3D Zeldas have been traditionally much more difficult than 2D ones anyway. I have never finished a 3D Zelda but have finished every 2D one (bar Zelda 2 which I've never played). I think 3D Zelda is generally more difficult than most 3D action/adventure games. Over the past couple of months I've played The Last Of Us, followed by The Witcher 3 (both on normal difficulty), followed by Wind Waker HD, and Wind Waker was undeniably the most difficult and unforgiving, with lots of sudden difficulty spikes.

The 3D Zelda's have been piss poor easy compared to the 2D games, especially the older 2D games. The first game is still a pain in the ass, and I've been playing it for almost 30 years.

Top Bottom