• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Ansatz

That's what I'm talking about, the direction a tree falls in depends on where you hack it.

In other AAA games you would get a contextual prompt saying "press X to cut tree" and the character would automatically adjust so the tree lands in a pre determined spot with the same animation every time. Whereas in this Zelda the tree has actual, real time physics.

This is the Nintendo difference.

Pendas

Banned
I think this game might take place directly before Wind Waker. After Ganon returned and destroyed Hyrule (Hence why there are no towns and the place is in ruins / Master Sword is Rusted) but before the world was flooded.

chadboban

What is happening in this gif? Link setting a bad guy on fire, bad guy running away while on fire and blowing up a rock?

There's a bad guys base at where the explosion happened. Link cut down some branches which blew in the wind and went through the fire and were set ablaze They continued blowing til they reached the bushes which proceeded to catch fire The blaze was pushed forward by the wind which spread to some explosives which blew the hell up.

Nerrel

Why do people keep talking about how dated the graphics look compared to other systems? It's the fucking Wii U. Are you seriously setting expectations at PS4 level visuals, then holding it against the game when it doesn't deliver?

I think it looks stunning for the hardware. It looks better than XC:X to me so far.

SSPyJ44rAkjio.gif

I'm actually amazed they got this game to run on the wiiU as well as they did. Almost every other WiiU game with large environments chugged really badly.

skypunch

Banned
That's what I'm talking about, the direction a tree falls in depends on where you hack it.

In other AAA games you would get a contextual prompt saying "press X to cut tree" and the character would automatically adjust so the tree lands in a pre determined spot.

This is the Nintendo difference.

Come off it, mate. A tree falling in whichever way you hack it is truly amazing to you and is what sets Nintendo apart?

bachikarn

I agree with a lot of what you have said. I feel like Nintendo, obviously, doesn't have a good handle on all of the mechanics and systems they've decided to shove into a single game, since they have no experience with any of them. Inventory management for starters looks like a pain already. And what's the point of storing enemy weapons away when they break after a couple of hits? For a lack of a better word, it's a stupid idea. Enemy weapons should be a one-time use only if they're going to make them so feeble. Most game design decisions shown feel randomly included.

And it's such a barren, nondescript world. Earlier on the stream they took a while getting to a snow mountain, and there was literally nothing there, and encountered only two enemies along the way. Either this game is screwed up or it's not demoing well. At least it isn't for me.

These are generally my two main complains, but I they aren't as big of a deal to me. Not a fan of destroyable weapons, and I imagine other areas with have more density...hopefully

Aldric

l'm really happy with the focus on new movement options. The best part of Skyward Sword by far was Link's new athletic abilities and the way they were used to bypass environmental obstacles. This seems to take that concept ad improve it tenfolds.

l also don't get people saying the world looks empty. From what little we've seen there's already a ton of stuff to do,what do you want exactly? Clocktown sized settlements every ten meters?

Caelus

Inventory management for starters looks like a pain already. And what's the point of storing enemy weapons away when they break after a couple of hits? For a lack of a better word, it's a stupid idea.

Or... you craft better, less fragile items as you progress, like in Skyward Sword, and you can store additional equipment on Epona (which explains the baggage on her in previous trailers.) I don't see how it's a pain if you end up using what you collect in a productive and fun way.

sphinx

the piano man
I am going to asume people saying it looks rough actually mean

"This is on hardware on par with PS360 so it can't look like The Order 1886, therefore it looks rough"

because if we are talking about atmosphere, beauty, design and art, this game will probably be Top 5 most beautiful games of this generation,and that is including all PS4X1 games.

jmizzal

So the NX will have some kind of support of touch screen if its going to be the same experience on WiiU and NX

Of course the NX version will look much better with better frame-rate and all that good stuff

Top Bottom