• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brie Larson Isn’t Letting Her ‘Captain Marvel’ Press Tour Be ‘Overwhelmingly’ White and Male

Zog

Banned
I'll try but I'll have to do it after work tonight. And I'm not sure what you mean by "in a non-racist way"... Are you implying that I'M racist?
You said that AA isn't racism, I can't wait to hear you explain it in a non racist way. In other words, you can't call it 'positive discrimination'.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
desegregation of society.

I'm still at work (on my last 10 break) but I think he believes that Affirmative Action is racist towards white people and that it "robs" them of work or secondary education placement.

I'll get completely into the explanation of why it isn't when I'm off work around 11pm

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still at work (on my last 10 break) but I think he believes that Affirmative Action is racist towards white people and that it "robs" them of work or secondary education placement.

I'll get completely into the explanation of why it isn't when I'm off work around 11pm
white women are the biggest beneficiaries of AA lol.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Would not wanting all the people you interview with to be 'Overwhelmingly black and female' be a bad thing?

I think that'll be perfectly fine. I'd even encourage that.

Giving a shit what race the person interviewing you is is a bad thing. Stop viewing the world through the lens of race ffs.

Certain groups of people can't afford to think like this. The world views itself through race, so why should I put the blinders on? If I'm staring in a movie that could make 1 billion world wide, you better believe I'm not going to let 80% of my interviewers to be white dudes. That's just crazy!

And not only is it crazy, but it's also not even business smart.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Disney: "Brie, you're fucking up our multi-billion dollar game plan here. Do you ever want to work again or not? Go make a new public statement that you don't actually hate the vast majority of people who consume our products."

SJWs: "SEE! Every word she just said is completely 100% her true feelings and opinion despite it completely contradicting her obvious intentions in her previous statements. You alt-right Trumpsters just got p0wnD"

Barnabot

This thread is going to places. Some real mental gymnastics to rationalize Brie Larson's actions.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
So you are saying that some groups get more benefits and other groups get less benefits, along both racial and gender lines. You say that AA is both racist and sexist. I can't argue with that.

The idea is that all groups benefit from a desegregated society. It's not charity for individuals, it is society as a whole that benefits from more inclusion in certain sectors.

For instance take the wage gap. It's certainly been debunked as some sort of systemic sexist view that pervades all companies but regardless women have traditionally taken on jobs that pay out less. Now through a bit of campaigning, some workshops, etc, you end up with more women moving into more lucrative careers. They pay more in taxes, they're more productive for the entire economy, they are less likely to draw on government benefits, I.E. the entire country benefits from cultural movements like that.

On the same hand you have men, for whatever reason, now more likely to drop out of school, not finish their post-secondary education, commit suicide in their 20's and 30's, etc. Programs, policies and mental health services that specifically target young men might be sexist on the surface level but it's to the benefit of society that we all take a vested interest in these issues.

Purely for the most selfish of reasons that wants more people paying into social security, health insurance, etc, I'm okay with such practices.

White women were also the biggest beneficiaries of jim crow and discrimination laws.

That might not be the best litmus test on the morality of a policy
Didn't say it was the litmus test but AA is most certainly not racist against white people. Take it out and it's white people who will be displaced the most by Asians and the lack of legacy admissions.

Personally I'd take it out on the basis of race but it's certainly one of the most misunderstood policies in the country.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zog

Banned
The idea is that all groups benefit from a desegregated society. It's not charity for individuals, it is society as a whole that benefits from more inclusion in certain sectors.

For instance take the wage gap. It's certainly been debunked as some sort of systemic sexist view that pervades all companies but regardless women have traditionally taken on jobs that pay out less. Now through a bit of campaigning, some workshops, etc, you end up with more women moving into more lucrative careers. They pay more in taxes, they're more productive for the entire economy, they are less likely to draw on government benefits, I.E. the entire country benefits from cultural movements like that.

On the same hand you have men, for whatever reason, now more likely to drop out of school, not finish their post-secondary education, commit suicide in their 20's and 30's, etc. Programs, policies and mental health services that specifically target young men might be sexist on the surface level but it's to the benefit of society that we all take a vested interest in these issues.

Purely for the most selfish of reasons that wants more people paying into social security, health insurance, etc, I'm okay with such practices.

Didn't say it was the litmus test but AA is most certainly not racist against white people. Take it out and it's white people who will be displaced the most by Asians and the lack of legacy admissions.

Personally I'd take it out on the basis of race but it's certainly one of the most misunderstood policies in the country.

Ah yes, positive discrimination. Sometimes racism and sexism are good. /s

Atleast you aren't pretending it isn't sexist and racist so that's nice.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Could you explain AA in a non racist way?

@whiskeystrike did a GREAT JOB at explaining but I'll try to add my 2¢ to further explain.

First, let's take a look at WHEN AND WHY it started:

The concept of affirmative action was introduced in the early 1960s in the United States, as a way to combat racial discrimination in the hiring process, with the concept later expanded to address gender discrimination.[11] Affirmative action was first created from Executive Order 10925, which was signed by President John F. Kennedy on 6 March 1961 and required that government employers "not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, creed, color, or national origin" and "take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to their race, creed, color, or national origin".

This has been why it's been important to have it in the workplace and higher education. Even til today.

Secondly, You may say, "but discrimination was outlawed! People hire based on merit these days!"

But you're forgetting that something may be outlawed but people have not changed. Some people won't be hired because the HR person doesn't want a woman, man, POC... And those people are more than likely qualified but don't fit the "look" they want. Which is why AA is still needed.

There's even a rise of white men going to HBCUs (Historically Black College and University) because of the cost of tuition at most secondary institutions. AA came in handy for them...

Lastly, you may say "But they're stealing jobs from people... They're not even qualified!"

That, my friend, is a logical fallacy. By presupposing someone's qualifications based on their race or gender because they were hired and you weren't, you're proving right why AA is still needed.

*Disclaimer: any instance of the word "you" is not meant to mean any poster quoted or present herein.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Ah yes, positive discrimination. Sometimes racism and sexism are good. /s

Atleast you aren't pretending it isn't sexist and racist so that's nice.

Please put more effort into reading posts that run counter to yours.

I already said I would take it out based on race.

For the sexism part, men and women are distinctively different, have different needs and different desires. Programs that address those factors are not sexist, they're a tailored tool shaped to fit a specific situation.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I would say 'but you are using race and gender as a basis for employment and/or non employment which I would call racism and sexism'.

You have very little reading comprehension ... You don't seem to read to understand... You read to reply.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Are decisions made based on race and gender?

Typically, no. Not like you're thinking.

Decisions are based on makeup of company/school and qualifications.

But you seem so hung up on calling it racist and sexist yet no matter how it is explained "in non-racist ways", your mind is already made up and nothing will change it.

Zog

Banned
Typically, no. Not like you're thinking.

Decisions are based on makeup of company/school and qualifications.

But you seem so hung up on calling it racist and sexist yet no matter how it is explained "in non-racist ways", your mind is already made up and nothing will change it.

If a company has a majority of white males, do race and gender considerations determine that any white male who applies gets moved to the bottom of the list?

Look, you guys know that AA is what people call 'positive discrimination' but it is still discrimination.You think it's a good thing and I don't.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Is this an admission that the current system as practiced is flawed?
Are you trying to have a real discussion about AA and better understand it or score imaginary points? You read my posts, you either can understand the exact words I used or you don't.

"An admission" - what even is this garbage, fuck off.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
If a company has a majority of white males, do race and gender considerations determine that any white male who applies gets moved to the bottom of the list?

Look, you guys know that AA is what people call 'positive discrimination' but it is still discrimination.You think it's a good thing and I don't.

Sure... Let's get rid of it...

Return to Jim Crow days where POC are sol on high paying jobs and college placement regardless of being qualified.

Return to Jim Crow days where POC are sol on high paying jobs and college placement regardless of being qualified.
Just out of curiosity, what does the end game for Affirmative Action look like? Will there ever be a time in which it is no longer needed, what would this look like, and would we recognize it if we saw it?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Just out of curiosity, what does the end game for Affirmative Action look like? Will there ever be a time in which it is no longer needed, what would this look like, and would we recognize it if we saw it?

I'm guessing basically what MLK said in his I Have A Dream speech... That would be the Endgame. IMO, when there is no more racism or ageism or sexism or any other ism... THEN it'd be a true meritocracy.

I'm not getting my hopes up because this system of things won't let that happen.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I think that'll be perfectly fine. I'd even encourage that.

Certain groups of people can't afford to think like this. The world views itself through race, so why should I put the blinders on? If I'm staring in a movie that could make 1 billion world wide, you better believe I'm not going to let 80% of my interviewers to be white dudes. That's just crazy!

And not only is it crazy, but it's also not even business smart.

The world doesn't view everything through a lens of race though. In the end I'm at a point where I can only conclude that you're trying to justify your own racism. Every single answer seems to come back to "they're racist so I have to be racist back" and honestly an eye for an eye just leaves everyone blind.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Your post is bullshit because it's predicated on the notion that we're all racist. Companies want to make money so they hire people who will help them make money. Simple. Melanin levels, the contents of your banana hammock and your choice of hump beast do not factor into it.

Thurible

I'm guessing basically what MLK said in his I Have A Dream speech... That would be the Endgame. IMO, when there is no more racism or ageism or sexism or any other ism... THEN it'd be a true meritocracy.

I'm not getting my hopes up because this system of things won't let that happen.
While noble, getting rid of all prejudice is an impossible goal simply due to the human condition. I personally think affirmative action can be helpful in some cases, but it is also a bit problematic because it assumes that certain groups of people automatically have it harder simply because of their skin color or race, which in turn reinforces harmful racial stereotypes. Why not have a system in place that benefits everyone who is underpriviledged that isn't based on race? Give both the poor, uneducated white guy AND african american a chance?

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
While noble, getting rid of all prejudice is an impossible goal simply due to the human condition. I personally think affirmative action can be helpful in some cases, but it is also a bit problematic because it assumes that certain groups of people automatically have it harder simply because of their skin color or race, which in turn reinforces harmful racial stereotypes. Why not have a system in place that benefits everyone who is underpriviledged that isn't based on race? Give both the poor, uneducated white guy AND african american a chance?
AA does do that.

oagboghi2

Are you trying to have a real discussion about AA and better understand it or score imaginary points? You read my posts, you either can understand the exact words I used or you don't.

"An admission" - what even is this garbage, fuck off.
I'm trying to ask you a simple question. It seems like you are to much of a coward to actually answer it though so you resorted to insults. Do you fam

1. Trayvon Martin WAS a victim.

He was a violent and racist criminal who tried to kill a man and got shot in self defense. The rest of your post shows you don't actually know what words mean, but like to pretend you're intellectually superior to a pile of dog shit. And that's quite sad (but a bit amusing, to be honest.)

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
pNW4wvg.png

He was a violent and racist criminal who tried to kill a man and got shot in self defense. The rest of your post shows you don't actually know what words mean, but like to pretend you're intellectually superior to a pile of dog shit. And that's quite sad (but a bit amusing, to be honest.)

You seem really angry. Are you ok?

Also, LOL that people disagree that this thread has turned strictly political.

Sure, Jan.

EviLore EviLore ??????

NI gets banned for derails, but this guy can trash Trayvon Martin in a fuckin CAPTAIN MARVE:L thread completely free and clear?

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Resorting to racist lies and personal attacks? When I didn't insult you to begin with?

LMJ

Therein lies the rub, the thing is everytime Larsen opens her fat mouth and says something that offends standing fans she's hurting the film for multiple reasons.

Someone brought it up earlier that the actor for Captain America is a bit of political activist himself, but here's the thing he doesn't talk shit when a movie is out, but more importantly people know who Captain America the character is and they like the character.

First of all the female Captain Marvel is not a popular character even amongst the comic book community, she's been rebooted over six times in her short comic book life.

Secondly, she's very unknown to the Mass public, Captain Marvel is no Ironman, she's not Wonder Woman she's a stranger... so this is the time to try to be gaining a wide audience and talking shit and alienating the small audience you have is a no no.

Resorting to racist lies and personal attacks? When I didn't insult you to begin with?

Racist lies? I got my information from the trial. You apparently got it from out of your ass. He slammed a dude's head against the sidewalk repeatedly. That's attempted murder in every city and state of this country (one might even call it an act of violence.) Once he got to his house, he told his fat, ugly, and stupid girlfriend that he was going to go back and handle the "creepy ass cracker." Using racial slurs generally doesn't paint one as non-racist. Or are you referencing me calling you dumber than dogshit? Because that also isn't racist. Or a lie. And you implied multiple times that I was dumb by arguing that "prejudice" doesn't mean to pre-judge somebody (you never really said what your version of the word means) or that I was wrong when I claimed racial discrimination was still racial discrimination regardless of who it targets. You even decried one of my posts "weeking" (it's reeking, btw) of "white racism" (I wasn't aware there were different versions depending on skin color.)

First of all the female Captain Marvel is not a popular character even amongst the comic book community, she's been rebooted over six times in her short comic book life.

To be fair, Iron Man was a C-tier super hero before the 2008(?) film. He was no Hulk, Thor, or Captain America.

Last edited:
i hate when people try and act like iron man was some kind of unknown superhero. mother fucker has always been popular. maybe not spiderman popular but hes always been in the mix of the most popular superheros for marvel. its one of those things that even if you know nothing about comics youd recognize iron man even before the movies. that says something. but i guess to some people if ya aint at the top might as well be at the bottom. i mean the movies definitely catapulted him but to say he was a nobody is disingenuous

Last edited:
F FullTilt18 Ironman was WAY more popular than Captain Marvel has ever been, yes even before the movie.

You might be right, but he certainly wasn't A-tier. That was generally seen as Spider-Man, Hulk, and Wolverine. It was a huge gamble for Marvel to start their cinematic universe based on him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom