• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brief look at the Switch UI

rardk64

Looks a lot less clunky than the Wii U and 3DS UIs. Hopefully that's the case (capactive touchscreen will help when using it that way).

Alienous

img07.jpg

The UI looks nice. Minimalist.

That's a good looking UI.

Nice UI, & it looks like the Miis are sticking around.

It was clear the Miis wouldn't be out of the picture given their implementation in Miitomo and My Nintendo, both of which were infrastructural groundwork for the Switch era.

Also, the clear presence of a settings button should dispel some of the more ludicrous speculation I've seen that configuration can only be done from a separate smart device. That would be absurd.

is that system settings or brightness cause it looks like a sun.

Oh wait, maybe it is.

Actually, you know what this is really missing? The Activity Log.

iBlue

I am a full digital person i am really worried here

My NNID is Canadian cus i was living there. Now that i am back in my country when i try to use my nintendo account it cant connect with my NNID because its not the same county and as far as i know i cannot change the region of the NNID... now what i really wanna know is if i get a Switch will i be able to use my local debit card for purchases like i do on the Wii U? (the wii u/3ds eshop takes my debit card witout any problems)

i am located in Mexico btw

Looks nice and simple which is awesome, but it is a bit jarring to see standard features being delegated to a smartphone application.

Just needs to run fast and be stable at this point, and hopefully ramp up features as time goes on.

IrishNinja

i like it - wish we knew things like if the eshop is better laid out, if there's any chance at trophies etc but this is nice

Not just lack of Miiverse but lack of a browser too.

yeah, i dunno if i was banking on miiverse to make it over, and i never really use browsers on consoles so i'm okay with this myself

seantos

Neo Member
Are there really features that are only accessible on the companion app? If so what are they doing for people without a phone or for young kids? It looks ok otherwise, I just hope it doesn't take forever to load and switch between apps like the wii U.

HotHamBoy

Can't complain, might be the nicest console UI I've seen tbh,
Similar to PS4's but much cleaner.

This is one of the only positives I have about the Switch right now.

no more miiverse? During presentation they only talked about "social networks" when they spoke about screenshots sharing.

Could Miiverse be behind the paywall now? (lol)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Are there really features that are only accessible on the companion app? If so what are they doing for people without a phone or for young kids? It looks ok otherwise, I just hope it doesn't take forever to load and switch between apps like the wii U.

I wouldn't be surprised if they consider moving all communication-related things to a smartphone to be an inherent parental control function. As you say, what about young kids? Well, young kids don't get these things. Same reason they don't get a phone. Easy way to bill the system as "safer."

As for adults, I wouldn't be surprised if the app has a website analogue, at least for vital functionality.

Big Nikus

Looks like the Miis are coming back.

img07.jpg

Note the third avatar above.

So, what's the deal with the three icons in the top left ? Looks like a friends group. One has a Mario avatar, the other has Link, and the other a picture of her Mii ?
Friends party group PLEASE Nintendo for god's sake

Neoxon

There were rumors that 3.2GB of the Switch's 4GB of RAM would go to games while the remaining 0.8GB would be reserved for the OS. If I recall, that's 0.2GB less than what the Wii U reserved for the OS (2GB total, 1 for games & 1 for the OS). Perhaps the decreased RAM allocation for the OS is the reason why most of the other stuff is being done via smartphone apps.

There were rumors that 3.2GB of the Switch's 4GB of RAM would go to games while the rest of the 0.8 would be reserved for the OS. If I recall, that's 0.2GB less than what the Wii U reserved for the OS (2GB total, 1 for games & 1 for the OS). Perhaps the decreased allocation is the reason why most of the other stuff is being allocated to smartphone apps.

that makes sense.

Uhyve

So, what's the deal with the three icons in the top left ? Looks like a friends group. One has a Mario avatar, the other has Link, and the other a picture of her Mii ?
Friends party group PLEASE Nintendo for god's sake
Hoping the three avatars are the users logged into the system.

I just preordered it and now, for some reason I've gotten all paranoid that they're gonna treat the Switch like a handheld console. Someone reassure me please, multiple user profiles for a single device.

Choomp

Banned
It looks like it's still got that disconnected/isolated Nintendo thing going on, I kinda love it but I think for their best general interest they need to better improve on that

EVIL

It looks like a year 1 design student made it.

really? maybe you should go back to school then

• Minimal flat theme, looks friendly and out of the way, leaving the colorful game icons to attract attention
  • All system icons are clean and minimal
  • Consistent use of white-space
  • Leaves plenty of room for subtle pattern backgrounds

All in all its a nice clean design and far outclasses year one design student work.

Big Nikus

Hoping the three avatars are the users logged into the system.

I just preordered it and now, for some reason I've gotten all paranoid that they're gonna treat the Switch like a handheld console. Someone reassure me please, multiple user profiles for a single device.

They said up to 8 Switch could be connected for local multiplayer.

Top Bottom