• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brief look at the Switch UI

Looking forward to your masterpiece.
psn6tg.png

AzaK

Reading your anti Nintendo posts (90% of your presence on GAF) is annoying. I haven't done this in awhile, I'll just block you.

Can't handle the jandal huh? The last 18 moths since NX was mentioned I've been negative based on Nintendo's past history and this conference basically validated everything I've said in that time. Nintendo approach to gamers, their view/effort towards western third parties, their pricing, their hardware specs - everything. People here who think Nintendo are the bees-knees are just ignoring evidence.

MCN

Banned
Can't handle the jandal huh? The last 18 moths since NX was mentioned I've been negative based on Nintendo's past history and this conference basically validated everything I've said in that time. Nintendo approach to gamers, their view/effort towards western third parties, their pricing, their hardware specs - everything. People here who think Nintendo are the bees-knees are just ignoring evidence.

I really want to see your UI design. Get on it.

So day 1 for the Switch???

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yea it looks really good but i hope there's a way to organize games because having dozens of games on a single line isn't ideal.

Durock

Love the deign of the UI. Noticeably absent though is an activity log. I hope that comes back and is similar to the one on the 3DS. The Wii U one was just inferior in every possible way.

Plasmid

Looks small and minimalist like others have said, i like it. The last few years with the oblong bubbles for games, loading apps etc, it's just not aesthetically pleasing. Hoping for some good menu design within the switch.

That is the best looking ui I have ever seen on any video game device except for the gamecube's

The ps4 and xbox 360 shoving ads in your face always irked me

RdN

Looks OK.

Hopefully it's fast and responsive, and works well with the touch screen as well as with the controller.

khaaan

I hope Mii's being in means Miiverse is still in.

Edit: This also means we aren't getting a dope claw machine game to decorate the page with.

Jackano

The UI is flat design which is the webdesign trend.

"less is more" can be cool but I'm more fond of functionalities so there's still a lot of questions and atm, I'm disappointed. Nintendo teams have still a lot of work to do...

Visually, it's fantastic.
The lack of a friends/social button is infuriating, but expected based on what we know.
Also it's not at all surprising Miis are still around. If they wanted to phase them out, they wouldn't have filled MyNintendo with Mii imagery and centred their first smartphone app around Miis. That makes me happy. I always liked Miis.

Final UI or not, I feel like they'll definitely have themes (and maybe stickers).

I'm a Nintendo fanboy, but nothing will replace my PS4 Corn theme. That butter. That jazz.

jblank83

img07.jpg

The UI looks nice. Minimalist.

Television style ribbon? Designed for big graphics at the expense of space efficiency and user customizability?

Looks very "modern".

I hate it.

I hope this is like the 3DS where you can change the size of icons, the shape of the layout, can move your icons around, can create folders, and whatnot.

Nice theme but its only so clean because so many options that should be easily accessible at the front are missing. Party system, friends list detailing, trophy/achievement system, system notifications, Miiverse?

Jaagen

Not getting an in-dept look at the UI was one of the more dissapointing things about the whole presentation. I wanted to see how the system actually is to use.

Hopefully Nintendo will release more info over the weekend. Perhaps we'll get a look at it during the Treehouse Live-stream.

Really beautiful, certainly the best UI of any Nintendo system.
Moving all social related features to a mobile app is actually a great idea, I've often wished I could get a notification on my phone when I receive a Wii U message. This just takes that a step further, which I can see working out well.

More like so much empty space for themes.

Probably the Mii associated with your Miitomo/Nintendo Network account i'll bet.

I think then they'd have to bring them back so you can customize them still, etc. What's interesting is the other icons of Link and Mario. Perhaps you can choose either your Mii or a character icon like a profile thing.

Falchion

Looks very nice, I really want to see how snappy it is though and whether you can do stuff like adjust settings or open another app while a game is active.

Looks nice but I think people are jumping the gun assuming you'll need a smartphone app to do anything here. Doesn't the message bubble icon sorta imply a friends list and messaging/chat system?

I'd assume that most of the smartphone functionality can be done by the system as well.

Top Bottom