• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brief look at the Switch UI

Angel_DvA

MuqPERj.png

Screen grabbed this from the Treehouse Live segment, I imagine + or - give you customisation options.

I like it, pretty clean.

Rodin

img07.jpg

So I'm guessing from those icons
1. Messaging or notifications
2. eShop
3. Friend List (or as Bony suggests above things you've captured)
4. Controller settings
5. Brightness
6. Power (so you can turn it off when it's docked)

My take

1. Notifications
2. eShop
3. Gallery
4. Controllers
5. Console settings
6. Power (sleep/turn off)

Give me folders at launch pls. Or let switch to a grid style UI like WiiU/3DS. I don't want to have to scroll left and right so much

It's a home console, according to Nintendo, but ok.

I know expandable storage is cheap but the size of the content the Switch will be used for makes "tablet storage" harder to swallow.

It is a home console in how they've marketed it but this

Isn't this

It's more like this

We can call it a console all we want but that doesn't change the fact that the form factor is a tablet. Anything more than 64gb internal storgage is unrealistic.

Clean and simple. Nothing wrong with that. I actually kinda like it. I hate when the Xbox UI, and I pray that the PS4 doesn't get that bad.

I dig it. It's pleasantly minimalistic.

That SAID, I would like to see the custom themes for it. I wouldn't be above installing a nice Zelda one :3

Looks very good, but I really hope you can access your friends list and send messages from the Switch. Such basic features shouldn't require a damn phone.

Blues1990

Are the Mii's coming back in some shape or form? I for one will be a little disappointed if they don't, as those little fella's have been such a part of Nintendo's identity for a while now and it would be sad to see them go. I honestly don't remember if the Mii icon was shown during the MK8D presentation (when the updated character select screen was shown).

On the other hand, Nintendo had just release MiiTopia not that long ago, and they still haven't closed MiiTomo, which will probably be the only way to create additional mii's for the Nintendo Switch. So I guess they are safe for now?

Are the Mii’s coming back in some shape or form? I for one will be a little disappointed if they don’t, as those little fella's have been such a part of Nintendo’s identity for a while now and it would be sad to see them go. I honestly don't remember if the Mii icon was shown during the MK8D presentation (when the updated character select screen was shown).

On the other hand, Nintendo had just release MiiTopia not that long ago, and they still haven't closed MiiTomo, which will probably be the only way to create additional mii's for the Nintendo Switch. So I guess they are safe for now?

Mii's wern't selectable characters in the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe demos but they still appear when voting for the multiplayer track.

russtc3

Neo Member
So is the Switch basically what the Wii U should have been?

I feel like I'd be a million times more excited for this thing if we were talking about this 5 years ago, getting ready to go from the Wii to the Switch.

But at this moment, I'm like..."Oh that's kinda neat. Maybe I'll grab one just for the heck of it when it goes on sale."

Nintendo Meh

I thought the wii u and 3ds had ugly ass designs. Skeuomorphism died a while ago so it always just looked bad.

This looks nice and modern.

Love the UI. Basically still the 3ds & Wii U but slicker, exactly what I wanted. Multiple accounts up in the corner, and even a mii in one avatar.

kennyamr

It's a tablet, 32gb is the standard and 64gb is usually a premium. Micro SD's can hold a lot of data for cheap now days.

Lots of indies do seem to be getting Switch physical releases though so if storage is an issue I suppose that is the alternative.

Don't be irrespectful to Nintendo's legacy.
This is a game console, this is not a tablet.
So, please, stop saying that.

We should always have high expectations of Nintendo and expect the best from them.
We should compare the Switch with the PS4, the Xbox One, and the PSVita because Nintendo is still part of the "Big 3" and they deserve it.

Comparing it to other companies' tablets or mobile devices is just like if we were giving up already on what Nintendo can achieve and in some way looking down to them thinking that they cannot longer be as good as Sony or Microsoft.

Let's help Nintendo giving praise and criticism where is due instead of lowering our standards to give them a free pass, that would only hurt them in the long run because they will not longer know what we do and don't like.

We're 7 weeks from launch, it can't be far from finalised unless these are slightly older builds.

That's exactly what I thought. I mean the system launches on March 3rd. If it was six months away I could understand this, but I was a little surprised to be told this by reps.

steveovig

Wait, so you need an app to use the friends list? I don't even have a smartphone, not to mention that just seems janky. I'm starting to have second thoughts on my pre-order factoring in all these types of issues with this thing. How hard is it to copy the social features of the competition?

We should always have high expectations of Nintendo and expect the best from them.
We should compare the Switch with the PS4, the Xbox One, and the PSVita because Nintendo is still part of the "Big 3" and they deserve it.

Comparing it to other companies' tablets or mobile devices is just like if we were giving up already on what Nintendo can achieve and in some way looking down to them thinking that they cannot longer be as good as Sony or Microsoft.

Let's help Nintendo giving praise and criticism where is due instead of lowering our standards to give them a free pass, that would only hurt them in the long run because they will not longer know what we do and don't like.

It is literally a tablet computing device. I'm not discrediting it as a game console but the Nintendo Switch is a tablet, that isn't a negative thing.

DontBlink

Went through the beginning of the presentation again, here is every icon apart from the first:
94362UQ.gif

?
eShop
Album
Controllers
System Settings
Sleep Mode

and the + and - buttons open up options

The +/- options only show up when a game is highlighted, so it might be more of a game management than something system-wide.

Understanding it's a tablet form factor and is literally physically limited in terms of its storage space due to HDDs being completely unrealistic is just understanding the situation. It's not being disrespectful.

SuperSah

Banned
There has to be a dedicated browser. Hell, there has to be a PROPER browser with HTML and all the jazz you find on mobile phones.

Then this is more than a console and handheld. It becomes a tablet.

This system is a jack of all trades.

There has to be a dedicated browser. Hell, there has to be a PROPER browser with HTML and all the jazz you find on mobile phones.

Then this is more than a console and handheld. It becomes a tablet.

This system is a jack of all trades.

By the looks of it we'll either have a day one system update like on Wii U or it will be an app like on PS4

Brizzo24

Any word yet on syncing up your Switch with your my.nintendo.com account? Looking over my transaction history, it'd be great if the Switch recognized all (some?) of my purchases, such as:

04/09/2015
Title Purchased
Captain Toad™: Treasure Tracker

04/01/2015
Title Purchased
Super Mario 64™

etc.

I'd hate to have to REBUY these at full price if/when they become available. Obviously there's no backwards compatibility with the Wii U but maybe digital games can be played on the Switch?!

arhra

Went through the beginning of the presentation again, here is every icon apart from the first:
94362UQ.gif

?
eShop
Album
Controllers
System Settings
Sleep Mode

and the + and - buttons open up options

The shot you posted on the last page has that first icon labelled in Japanese. It reads "Game News".

Although it's anyone's guess what that means, and how it'll be labelled in English.

First icon seems like "Notifications" where you'll see any messages you got, what needs updating, what's downloading, etc... like on PS4.

The shot you posted on the last page has that first icon labelled in Japanese. It reads "Game News".

Although it's anyone's guess what that means, and how it'll be labelled in English.

So:
Game News
eShop
Album
Controllers
System Settings
Sleep Mode

and then when we're highlighting a game we have "options" via + and - which we're speculating are organisation tools?

Aleh

It's very simple, to the point is almost looks a bit bland (but they may have done it on purpose to entice people to buy themes). I'm not a fan of big square icons, hopefully we can resize them like on the 3DS into a grid view with smaller icons and folders.
If (most likely) themes are coming back then it'll be pretty awesome

Top Bottom