• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brief look at the Switch UI

Somnid

Wii U iconography was bad, charming, but bad. I like what they've done. I guess the public part of Miiverse didn't work out like they had hoped, last they updated it they emphasized it as a "game diary" so it sounds like that is their new approach. That, and capacitive screen means drawing is out.

Wii U iconography was bad, charming, but bad. I like what they've done. I guess the public part of Miiverse didn't work out like they had hoped, last they updated it they emphasized it as a "game diary" so it sounds like that is their new approach. That, and capacitive screen means drawing is out.

Drawing with a finger on a capacitive screen is better than drawing with a stylus on a resistive screen, imo.

Right off the bat, I can tell this system is going to need a folder solution or something if you plan on getting a lot of games for the system. I hated the setup on the PS4 for the longest time when you needed to scroll all the way to the right for the games library.

I am a full digital person i am really worried here

My NNID is Canadian cus i was living there. Now that i am back in my country when i try to use my nintendo account it cant connect with my NNID because its not the same county and as far as i know i cannot change the region of the NNID... now what i really wanna know is if i get a Switch will i be able to use my local debit card for purchases like i do on the Wii U? (the wii u/3ds eshop takes my debit card witout any problems)

i am located in Mexico btw

Can't you make your Nintendo account Canadian too?

I'm in the Caribbean, and I pretty much have to use the Canadian eShop as the US one doesn't accept non-US cards. My NNID is Canadian and the console region is set to Canada.

img07.jpg

The UI looks nice. Minimalist.

I quite like the UI. The scale of the game thumbnail images means that you can only fit 4 in before needing to scroll, though. Probably not a problem at launch.

Zomba13

Such a shame it looks like Miiverse is gone. It was great. They could even lock it behind their new online paywall for added value incentive.

Ugh, the pale backround. No thank you, but hopefully you can put a pic there. I like minimalism but I DETEST PLAINNESS. my 2 cents

deleted

Looking good! There's something missing for system wide online functionalities, but it's nice to see them having a clean approach to the system.

Hopefully there's folders and Apps like Netflix.

Really beautiful, certainly the best UI of any Nintendo system.
Moving all social related features to a mobile app is actually a great idea, I've often wished I could get a notification on my phone when I receive a Wii U message. This just takes that a step further, which I can see working out well.

It would be great as a companion app, but the system itself needs to have it too.

Imagine being in a party chat during an intense game of Splatoon and you get a call on your phone.

img07.jpg

So I'm guessing from those icons
1. Messaging or notifications
2. eShop
3. Friend List (or as Bony suggests above things you've captured)
4. Controller settings
5. Brightness
6. Power (so you can turn it off when it's docked)

arhra

img07.jpg

So I'm guessing from those icons
1. Messaging or notifications
2. eShop
3. Friend List (or as Bony suggests above things you've captured)
4. Controller settings
5. Brightness
6. Power (so you can turn it off when it's docked)

The first icon in that show is labelled "Game News".

Possibly some kind of activity feed type thing, or the kinds of push notifications that get fed to the WiiU gamepad.

Definitely not messaging, that's for sure.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Looks like it'll be a fuckin mess if you want a lot of digital games also look at all that wasted space. This looks like early mock-up stuff lol. No folders? No way to make icons smaller? Grid view on the 3DS was great, dunno why they'd force this on you :(

The UI could easily be expanded. There's plenty of room to add features later.
Also I expect the game list to be similar to the 3DS, as in you can select how many rows you see on the screen. With the standard being one row.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The UI could easily be expanded. There's plenty of room to add features later.
Also I expect the game list to be similar to the 3DS, as in you can select how many rows you see on the screen. With the standard being one row.

I *hope* you can get that view easily, but nothing on screen seems to indicate that being the case, but yeah they'll probably have added that back in by the time I get a Switch anyway :p

Looks like it'll be a fuckin mess if you want a lot of digital games also look at all that wasted space. This looks like early mock-up stuff lol. No folders? No way to make icons smaller? Grid view on the 3DS was great, dunno why they'd force this on you :(

I think you're making quite a lot of assumptions, hang in there until we get a hands on tour of the UI.

I'm sure there's an option to change the layout of the squares. Probably if you tap the screen or in a settings menu. I would say it's fairly likely they'll include folders as well since those are a staple on 3DS/Wii U.

I think the biggest things that I dunno if no journalists asked or if they'd even answer about is Miiverse. They really spent a lot of time making this social media thing and I dunno why they'd just drop it. Also, the badges; they had to have made a lot of money on Badge Arcade, and that would be great to include here. Maybe customizations for the layout too. Lots of people have noticed it is kind of minimalist, but what if you could get a background or something for it like on the 3DS.

jonno394

I hope there are more apps, makes sense they wouldnt be installed on the showfloor. A web browser is a must, especially for a touch screen device, loved that aspect of Wii U games, pausing to find help/walkthrough for a game, then jumping back in.

Looks nice and makes me want to go all digital. Dat internal storage though...

It's a tablet, 32gb is the standard and 64gb is usually a premium. Micro SD's can hold a lot of data for cheap now days.

Lots of indies do seem to be getting Switch physical releases though so if storage is an issue I suppose that is the alternative.

horkrux

It's a tablet, 32gb is the standard and 64gb is usually a premium. Micro SD's can hold a lot of data for cheap now days.

Lots of indies do seem to be getting Switch physical releases though so if storage is an issue I suppose that is the alternative.

I thought it's a home console.. the games are much bigger, too. 32GB just doesn't cut it, not for what it wants to be.

I thought it's a home console.. the games are much bigger, too. 32GB just doesn't cut it, not for what it wants to be.

It's a home console in how it's marketed but the form factor is a tablet. Tablets don't have hard drives.

I think they're counting on anyone who wants a vast array of digital content to get a Micro SD card.

RoKKeR

It's a home console, according to Nintendo, but ok.

I know expandable storage is cheap but the size of the content the Switch will be used for makes "tablet storage" harder to swallow.

Top Bottom