• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Remember when the OG PS3 launched? That shit was a bargain.

PS1
PS2
PS3
DVD/bluray player
Web browser
Media player
Something about folding

It was a hell of a deal, even at the steep launch price.

It was expensive, but that doesn't mean it was overpriced.
A shame we had to put up with PS2 emulation for us and the rest of us in Europe. As a BD player, it was and still is amazing.

Because .MP3 is the most popular music format by far and the previous console supported it, whereas .FLAC isn't nearly as well supported especially on consoles.
I was being sarcastic in regards to the whole "why are people ragging on about the PS4 not having MP3 support?".

Does anyone else honestly use that Music Unlimited service? Does it even have the selection to justify its annual subscription? And furthermore, are the tracks even uncompressed? I doubt it.

Rich!

oh fucking hell

I applied for JSA yesterday morning. I literally just got a text saying my appointment is at 11:30 in the morning. Lucky I'm awake, otherwise I would have slept in and missed it.

I can already tell this is going to be a nightmare.

Reknoc

Remember when the OG PS3 launched? That shit was a bargain.

PS1
PS2
PS3
DVD/bluray player
Web browser
Media player
Something about folding

It was a hell of a deal, even at the steep launch price.

It was expensive, but that doesn't mean it was overpriced.

all consoles are overpriced at launch.

NinjaBoiX

Happy Birthday Donkey!

Busy day today, I booked too much in, and I'm not sure I've got enough time to do it all! My last call is this proper well to do woman in a posh apartment block, I can envisage a late finish for some reason. I've got to build a scaffold first thing too, sucks.

Everyone be sure to have themselves a fulfilling, constructive and enlightening day now.

all consoles are overpriced at launch.
They sold it at a loss man. Shit, bluray players alone where like £300+ at the time. It wasn't overpriced, it was just expensive.

SmokyDave

Happy B'day Donkey!

Happy Halloween y'all!

The PS3 was a phenomenal MP3 player, the sound quality was something else for a games console. I'm fucking gutted that they've dropped the ball with the PS4.

Picked up 'Halloween - 35th Anniversary Edition' on blu-ray last night. Going to watch it tonight and scare the missus silly.

Mikeside

Happy birthday Donkey, hope you have an #epicthursday, man

Going to see Bad Grandpa tonight with Casey, I think. Expecting the movie to be shit, but hoping for the company to be worth it. I need to find a natural way of bringing up a 'friends with benefits' suggestion, because I think that's kind of what we've been dancing around for a while.

It'll be good NaNoWriMo fodder, if nothing else

jimbor

Banned
Happy birthday Donkey, hope you have an #epicthursday, man

Going to see Bad Grandpa tonight with Casey, I think. Expecting the movie to be shit, but hoping for the company to be worth it. I need to find a natural way of bringing up a 'friends with benefits' suggestion, because I think that's kind of what we've been dancing around for a while.

It'll be good NaNoWriMo fodder, if nothing else

Buy popcorn, cut a penis sized hole in the bottom, insert penis when popcorn is on your lap, offer Casey popcorn, win!

Epic Thursday! Thanks for the birthday wishes y'all :) So nice having the day off today to do whatevs. Hope y'all have a good Halloween as well,

Anyone got any wild plans for tonight? Gonna watch Thor with Notts lass and go trick or treating in Aspley and St. Ann's. That's safe, right Smokey? :O :O :O :O :O

Reknoc

Epic Thursday! Thanks for the birthday wishes y'all :) So nice having the day off today to do whatevs. Hope y'all have a good Halloween as well,

Anyone got any wild plans for tonight? Gonna watch Thor with Notts lass and go trick or treating in Aspley and St. Ann's. That's safe, right Smokey? :O :O :O :O :O

dude youre going to get stabbed

happy birthday!

SmokyDave

St. Ann's?

You're trick or treating in Stans?

...I'll miss you dude.

I wish I still played Guild Wars. I'm sure they used to do some cool events for Halloween. I shoud make a point of getting the second one on the cheap.

Currently eating all the sweets that are meant to be given to kids later. There's an obesity epidemic though so I'm doing them a favour.

Mikeside

I wish I still played Guild Wars. I'm sure they used to do some cool events for Halloween. I shoud make a point of getting the second one on the cheap.

Currently eating all the sweets that are meant to be given to kids later. Their's an obesity epidemic though so I'm doing them a favour.

reference.gif

OHHHH, I've just had a great idea for my story that's going to make the whole kick-off work so much easier, has given my characters a proper purpose, rather than aimless wandering & I get to make it even more (as described by Lirlond) "Indie Movie: The Book"

Nathan and Amélie are going to follow a band up the country.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Holy shit. I hope you've locked your windows Chinner, Green Scar is going to give you a Chelsea smile for that one.

Happy Birthday Donkey!!!

Completely unrelated, if I ever saw this safety video on a plane the only thing that'll be going through my mind is "why God? What have I done to deserve this?". To be fair, it isn't as cringingly bad as Delta's Safety video. That female attendant still haunts me in my sleep. .
"WHAT HAVE I DONE?!" is too right. Trapped in a thin metal tube 3000 feet in the air with these people would be true nightmare fuel.

Rich!

Turns out I'm getting paid more on benefits now I'm unemployed than I was earning on salary as a Store Manager. What the fuck. Seriously.

Put down my career choices at the job centre as in the Video Production and Computer Engineering categories as I've got a degree in Interactive Media and Design (programming, web design, engineering, video production). Made it clear I'm never, ever working in retail again and used a doctor's recommendation to back it up.

Looking hopeful now. I hope.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Fucking love your welfare system. Be grateful you live there, you'd have to pop out a few babies to get the equivalent over here. Joking aside, glad you are sorted for the time being and it really sounds like you are better off. Working retail just didn't seem to work for you. I hope you find a suitable job to replace it.

SmokyDave

"hotcodman". Fuck me, I laughed. Now my sore throat feels even worse :(

It's the ultimate death wish! Nah, just gonna go to City Center and party party xD Any particular spots we should hit up?
I'm so old and boring, this genuinely had me stumped. I don't think me or Mrs S has seen the inside of a decent club (barring hen / stag do) in the last 6 months :(

You'll have fun wherever you go, you crazy cats.

SteveWD40

Turns out I'm getting paid more on benefits now I'm unemployed than I was earning on salary as a Store Manager. What the fuck. Seriously.

Put down my career choices at the job centre as in the Video Production and Computer Engineering categories as I've got a degree in Interactive Media and Design (programming, web design, engineering, video production). Made it clear I'm never, ever working in retail again and used a doctor's recommendation to back it up.

Looking hopeful now. I hope.

Good stuff, find a job you don't hate and you might find your mood / panic attacks etc... will improve.

SKINNER!

Banned

That is too fucking depressing to even read let alone comprehend. Still, hopefully getting out of retail will make your work life a lot more pleasant dude :) No more asshole customers.

Rich!

That is too fucking depressing to even read let alone comprehend. Still, hopefully getting out of retail will make your work life a lot more pleasant dude :) No more asshole customers.

The way I see it, I've worked non-stop for a third of my life - I see it as being fair that I'm getting helped with benefits for a while until I find another job.

But...it's suddenly made me realise just why so many people in this country stay on the dole and refuse to get jobs. It's literally free money. It's the same money as if I was still working 45+ hours a week, stressing like hell. It's crazy.

Being off work sucks though. Bored as all hell. Hopefully I'll get something soon.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Think of it like this: your job is now to find a job. Put a comparable amount of hours into brushing up on your knowledge, seeking opportunities and following up on leads and you really have nothing to feel guilty about.

NinjaBoiX

What the fuck indeed.

The benefits system in this country is so fucked man. No wonder people would rather do diddly squat and have the government wipe their arse for them their whole life.
The way I see it, I've worked non-stop for a third of my life - I see it as being fair that I'm getting helped with benefits for a while until I find another job.
Well, it's fair that you are getting help financially while you look for another job, of course it is. But this "I'm just getting what I'm owed" attitude stinks.

I'm not pointing this at you personally Rich, just lazy entitled fuckwits who think the world owes them a living piss me off. I understand you don't fall in this category, but yeah, I just wanted to rant.

I hope you get some more work soon fella!

Mikeside

But...it's suddenly made me realise just why so many people in this country stay on the dole and refuse to get jobs. It's literally free money. It's the same money as if I was still working 45+ hours a week, stressing like hell. It's crazy.

Being off work sucks though. Bored as all hell. Hopefully I'll get something soon.
My advice (for what it's worth):
Use the time to get yourself into a mental and emotional position to find work again. This is important ESPECIALLY if your last job was stressing you out as much as it sounds like yours was.
Set yourself 'working hours' where you do things like brush up on stuff that'll help you to get a job, work on interview skills, actually look for jobs etc

Start working an hour or two a day and build it up as you feel appropriate, but always be working towards something or you'll just fall into a slump.

This is also a great time to work on some personal projects, if you're so inclined, too

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Haha, this is great!

So I'm apparently hugely LTTP (54,000,000 hits on YT) but I've only just heard the UK no.1 and for once it's not some 1D/Katy Perry/X Factor garbage. I actually really dig this:

Lorde - Royals

You're probably sick of hearing this JB! I assume with so many YT hits it was huge in the US. But yeah, I think this really cool.
Yeah it's been huge over here, Royals has dominated the airwaves all summer basically. I'm actually surprised you didn't hear her sooner considering the subject matter and that she's supposedly from New Zealand. Catchy song, lyrics are very in tune with the hypocracy of modern times etc. etc.

Bit sick of it is right though, damn radio ruins everything.

Chinner

Banned
Haha, this is great!

So I'm apparently hugely LTTP (54,000,000 hits on YT) but I've only just heard the UK no.1 and for once it's not some 1D/Katy Perry/X Factor garbage. I actually really dig this:

Lorde - Royals

You're probably sick of hearing this JB! I assume with so many YT hits it was huge in the US. But yeah, I think this really cool.

they play that song all the time on the radio. i fucking hate it.

roooyalll rooooooooooooooooyal.

pooop poooooooooooooooop/

NinjaBoiX

they play that song all the time on the radio. i fucking hate it.

roooyalll rooooooooooooooooyal.
That's the best bit duck.

NXKV4.gif

It's catchy enough that I'll probably hate it next week. But for now it's welcome change, it's unique. Plus, as JB said, it's got a refreshingly sobering message about self image amidst a deluge of self-congratulatory narcissists bragging about their fucking Jimmy Choo's or whatever.

I think it's quite clever, and the production is really nice.

Chinner

Banned
since i got my car back ive started listening to the radio a lot more. they drive every single fucking song into the ground, i can barely listen to any station now (BBC2 okay, hit and miss music though). cd player in the car is wonky as shit, not reliable

like for example, and not to be hipster, but i heard this ben pearce song late last year and when used in the right mixes its pretty ace. a lot of deep house is coming back in. now its been picked up by all the radio stations and its overplayed and it's lost its appeal to me completely.

i'm not mad people are enjoying this music, i'm just disgruntled that music on radio is so limited and unadventurous with its transparent pushing for number 1s. same old i suppose.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That's why I appreciate the tape player in my car. After I wrecked my Nissan I had to get an old piece of shit Cadillac that doesn't have a CD player, but with a tape player to mp3 cassette I can just listen to my own shit as I drive. Only thing I listen to on the radio now is NPR.

Yeah that song annoys me.

Also, lol at the discussion about the benefits thing. It's like "you know I've never thought about it like that but really the Daily Mail has a point!"

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Sometimes I feel like Pete Tong loves his own voice a little bit. Though I reckon you have to if you are gonna be a radio man.

But yeah if it's a matter of keeping certain samples "pure" it's never gonna happen with radio as they will always run anything mildly catchy straight into the ground. I'm always on the lookout for new shit though from both sides of the Atlantic to keep things fresh as there is often a delay between what is popular on either side. So if I get sick of what's happening here I just check out what is going on over there with you guys.

I also completely miss things so it's fun to be LTTP to truly great shit like Frank Ocean. I have yet to listen to Daft Punk's new album but I'll get to it at some point.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

Mikeside

If anyone knows of anyone who would want that Surface Pro 128GB for £500 (with type keyboard now) that would put me £50 (10% commission, baby!) closer to getting my PS4, by the way :p

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Rockstar finally releases the iFruit app for Android and it doesn't work on my phone. I can run GTA III but not the iFruit app.

WTF Rockstar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom