• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disappointingly few trick or treaters here. Nice little thing. But still feel some could come so can't scoff all the sweets. Plus the other half made gingerbread too for people, so would be nice for more of them.

But hey more for us so suppose.

Just got back in and I'm absolutely shattered. The commute on the 8pm bus is certainly an interesting one.

You cant just drop by and leave us hanging with a statement like that...we need to know more about your commute on the 8pm bus!

Hand on heart that was not meant in a sarcastic way, I genuinely want to know, my curiosity is killing me!

Symphonia

Banned
You cant just drop by and leave us hanging with a statement like that...we need to know more about your commute on the 8pm bus!

Hand on heart that was not meant in a sarcastic way, I genuinely want to know, my curiosity is killing me!
It's just such an odd bunch of characters. There were two drunks, an elderly man who smelled of Werther's Originals, a couple of chavs sat at the back with the music blaring, the businessman on his late commute home, the mother with child carrying home some shopping, a weird man sat on the stairs muttering to himself and me in my suit. It doesn't sound exciting but...yeah.

So I met Ville Valo tonight

null_zps3846f26e.jpg

HIM were amazing, what a great gig. Apart from the girl stood behind me for the first half of it, kept pushing into me, then starts pushing me in the back with her hand, and when I turned around to tell her to stop she hit me across the head! Some people are just cunts.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
You all have bad habits of not completing your stories. How was the conflict resolved with the girl who kept hitting you Musha?

You all have bad habits of not completing your stories. How was the conflict resolved with the girl who kept hitting you Musha?

I just turned around and ignored her. I'm not a violent person, I didn't want any trouble as we were right near the front. She eventually moved further towards the middle thankfully.

afoni

Banned
I've been thinking a lot about my own mortality the last 24 hours and I think I've finally felt that weird spark that can drive people to religion. I mean, the concept of it was always clear in my head, but it's only really just clicked about how scary the idea of death is and how religion can give answers and possibly comfort to those frightened of it. Like, I'm sitting in bed right now in complete silence realising the view of the afterlife I have might eventually become reality for myself. I've only ever seen it as a complete dead end for a person where everything just stops, but that person was never me. I'm 20 and only now do I genuinely realise that one day I'll end up dying.

It feels so fucking upsetting, man. I don't want to die.

SmokyDave

I've been thinking a lot about my own mortality the last 24 hours and I think I've finally felt that weird spark that can drive people to religion. I mean, the concept of it was always clear in my head, but it's only really just clicked about how scary the idea of death is and how religion can give answers and possibly comfort to those frightened of it. Like, I'm sitting in bed right now in complete silence realising the view of the afterlife I have might eventually become reality for myself. I've only ever seen it as a complete dead end for a person where everything just stops, but that person was never me. I'm 20 and only now do I genuinely realise that one day I'll end up dying.

It ain't about the time you have, it's about how you spend it. Relax and enjoy yourself.

I've been coming to terms with the fact that I'll be in my sixties by the time our first kid hits 30. Whatcha gonna do though? We can't beat the clock. I should be grateful I'm even in a position to imagine living to 60.

Mikeside

I've been there man - and I bet it's really fucking frustrating you that people seem to be able to go about their daily lives whilst ignoring this HUGE FUCKING PROBLEM they're coming up against, except they never know when? I used to freak the fuck out about it, have panic attacks and really dealt with that pretty badly too.

I wish I had some advice for you that could help you out really immediately, but for me, I started seeing a counselor (for that and other things) and just learned not to think about it so much.

Sounds shit, but you really do learn to deal with it :/

NinjaBoiX

Morning BritChums. It's lush up here today, proper crisp sunny morning with dew on the grass and shit. I might write a crown of sonnets about it later.

That Lorde was just on R1 Breakfast Show, impressively cool, calm and collected for a 16 year old; really grounded and witty with a self-deprecating sense of humour. Her voice is mint too, kind of deep with that Kiwi twang. She cool.

Got into work early so I can get away early, going to try and get an hour in the gym before the tea time rush. Then a few beers with ma peeps tonight, early Christmas shopping tomorrow (fuck doing it last minute!) then a few of the lads round after. Just chilling Sunday, maybe catch up on some vidya games, I haven't played anything all week. Also finish season 2 of Battlestar Galactica, that show is great!

What is everyone else up to this weekend?

Reknoc

I have this moment occasionally. It's a few minutes of panic, then I'll just read some manga and forget about it.

Reknoc

Speaking of mortality and death; played some Arkham Origins. Not really enough to know much about the game itself but enough to know I 1) seriously fucking hate the title, Arkham City was already pushing it, but at least made some sense. 2) I don't recognise anyone other than Killer Croc (who looks like a Goomba from the Mario movie), Bane, and Black Mask (because I saw that one film that this basically is). Still whatever more batman is good.

Where's Blackgate though? I see it advertised on a billboard with Origins but haven't heard anything else about the game.

Symphonia

Banned
Morning BritGAF, how are we all?

Today is a day for getting things sorted. I'm taking my laptop to get the sound sorted so I can finally listen to music on it again and I'm currently on the phone to O2, working out the best way to upgrade to the Nexus 5 from iPhone 5 - though as I took out my contract in January, and am in contract until 2015, it's going to cost at least £575. Welp.

Mikeside

Today is a day for getting things sorted. I'm taking my laptop to get the sound sorted so I can finally listen to music on it again and I'm currently on the phone to O2, working out the best way to upgrade to the Nexus 5 from iPhone 5 - though as I took out my contract in January, and am in contract until 2015, it's going to cost at least £575. Welp.

Sounds like you're better off just buying the Nexus 5 outright, mate.
Looks like a gorgeous phone - it's definitely what I'd get if I didn't have my Z1 (which I'm surprised to much I'm loving - thanks zomgbbqftw for pushing me over the edge)

Anyone care to comment on Music Unlimited vs Google Play Music All Access?
I'm thinking of switching the latter for the former, as I can't save music from All Access to my SD card and it's kind of defeating the object of having the fuckin' SD card at all. Plus Music Unlimited is cheaper (and it means I can listen to that music on my PS4)

Only downside is that I can't upload any music they're missing that I want in my library, so I'll have to have anything they don't seperately. I'm not sure how much of an issue that really will be for me... I guess not a huge one

jimbor

Banned
Sounds like you're better off just buying the Nexus 5 outright, mate.
Looks like a gorgeous phone - it's definitely what I'd get if I didn't have my Z1 (which I'm surprised to much I'm loving - thanks zomgbbqftw for pushing me over the edge)

Anyone care to comment on Music Unlimited vs Google Play Music All Access?
I'm thinking of switching the latter for the former, as I can't save music from All Access to my SD card and it's kind of defeating the object of having the fuckin' SD card at all. Plus Music Unlimited is cheaper (and it means I can listen to that music on my PS4)

Only downside is that I can't upload any music they're missing that I want in my library, so I'll have to have anything they don't seperately. I'm not sure how much of an issue that really will be for me... I guess not a huge one
Use both. Free version of play for stuff missing from unlimited. I do this for the lack of Beatles on Spotify.

SmokyDave

Mike and Afoni, I hope you both die soon. The quality of posts in here would increase tenfold.
Don't hold back, chap. Say what you mean.

Where's Blackgate though? I see it advertised on a billboard with Origins but haven't heard anything else about the game.
On the goddamn Vita is where it is.

Well, it's on the 3DS too, but that one's like playing the Vita game after you've been poked in both eyes.

jimbor

Banned

What Mike said. Sell your iPhone 5 for probably more than the N5 will cost direct from Google (350 for the 32gb).

Symphonia

Banned
What Mike said. Sell your iPhone 5 for probably more than the N5 will cost direct from Google (350 for the 32gb).
I asked O2 how much I would get for my currently phone (16GB iPhone 5, white) and they said I'll get £252 for it, which doesn't even cover half the cost of what I'd have to pay if I wanted to cancel the contract and upgrade to the N5.

Reknoc

On the goddamn Vita is where it is.

Well, it's on the 3DS too, but that one's like playing the Vita game after you've been poked in both eyes.

i know its on the vita :mad: but is it out? is it good? is just another poorly thought out handheld companion game made by some z-tier dev?

jimbor

Banned
I asked O2 how much I would get for my currently phone (16GB iPhone 5, white) and they said I'll get £252 for it, which doesn't even cover half the cost of what I'd have to pay if I wanted to cancel the contract and upgrade to the N5.

Went would you sell it to O2 and why would you cancel your contract? Sell the phone privately or to somewhere like fonebank if you're feeling lazy. Replace with n5 on same contract.

Mikeside

Don't cancel the contract, sell the iPhone on ebay and buy the Nexus 5 directly from Google.
I doubt you'll even need a different SIM, but if you do you can call o2, explain you've changed phone and what kind of SIM you need & they'll send it - you're under no obligation to use the phone provided with the contract for the length of the contract

i know its on the vita :mad: but is it out? is it good? is just another poorly thought out handheld companion game made by some z-tier dev?

It's out, I hear it's good but a bit clunky, haven't looked into who developed it.
I'm thinking I'll probably end up getting it when it hits bargain bin prices if general GAF-reviews (from people like Smoky, not the GAF hivemind) are OK/good

Symphonia

Banned
Went would you sell it to O2 and why would you cancel your contract? Sell the phone privately or to somewhere like fonebank if you're feeling lazy. Replace with N5 on same contract.
Maybe I'm tired or something but I still don't see how this is an affordable or viable option. How would I simply replace the iPhone with the N5 on the contract? Surely I'd still have to pay O2 for the remainder of the contract? Apologies for sounding like a complete noob.

E: Would they be able to provide me a SIM with the same terms I'm currently on? Unlimited calls, unlimited texts and 2GB data on 3G for £55 a month.

Mikeside

Maybe I'm tired or something but I still don't see how this is an affordable or viable option. How would I simply replace the iPhone with the N5 on the contract? Surely I'd still have to pay O2 for the remainder of the contract? Apologies for sounding like a complete noob.

E: Would they be able to provide me a SIM with the same terms I'm currently on? Unlimited calls, unlimited texts and 2GB data on 3G for £55 a month.

Nah, it'll have nothing to do with your contract - you're never actually tied to the phone provided. That's yours to sell & you can use a different phone (though if you default on the contract, they'll want it back, so don't do that)

And you can 99% certainly use the same SIM card, if not they will ask you to destroy it and send you a new one. Your same contract will be on that new SIM

Symphonia

Banned
Nah, it'll have nothing to do with your contract - you're never actually tied to the phone provided. That's yours to sell & you can use a different phone (though if you default on the contract, they'll want it back, so don't do that)

And you can 99% certainly use the same SIM card, if not they will ask you to destroy it and send you a new one. Your same contract will be on that new SIM
So let me get this straight.

1. Sell iPhone on eBay.
2. Use money from sale to buy handset.
3. Ring O2 and request new SIM and destroy old SIM.
4. Continue to pay what I'm paying now but with the benefit of having a Nexus.

Am I right?

Fuck, are all iPhone contracts this much?
I can't speak for everyone but my previous contract (iPhone 4) was about the same, yeah.

Reknoc

It's out, I hear it's good but a bit clunky, haven't looked into who developed it.
I'm thinking I'll probably end up getting it when it hits bargain bin prices if general GAF-reviews (from people like Smokey, not the GAF hivemind) are OK/good

might just wait for it to show up on PSN+ then, and hope a giantbomb QL shows up.

Mikeside

So let me get this straight.

1. Sell iPhone on eBay.
2. Use money from sale to buy handset.
3. Ring O2 and request new SIM and destroy old SIM.
4. Continue to pay what I'm paying now but with the benefit of having a Nexus.

Am I right?

I can't speak for everyone but my previous contract (iPhone 4) was about the same, yeah.

Yep, though you might not even have to do step 3, as I reckon it'll be the same SIM type for both phones. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that.

SmokyDave

Tough to say at the moment, I've only played a couple of hours. It's not a bad game, by any means, but it hasn't done anything to wow me either. I'll put more time into it over the weekend and let you know what I think.

jimbor

Banned
Yep, though you might not even have to do step 3, as I reckon it'll be the same SIM type for both phones. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Don't the iPhones use a nano sim? In that case a new sim would be required. Also, ouch at that fifty five quid a month. Sim free is the way to be.

It's just such an odd bunch of characters. There were two drunks, an elderly man who smelled of Werther's Originals, a couple of chavs sat at the back with the music blaring, the businessman on his late commute home, the mother with child carrying home some shopping, a weird man sat on the stairs muttering to himself and me in my suit. It doesn't sound exciting but...yeah.

Sounds like a good premise/opening scene for a movie...

Mikeside

iPhone is nano-SIM. I always thought was exclusive to the iPhones. Am I wrong? I mean, if the Nexus uses nano-SIMs then that would be so much easier.

Ha, thanks, took about three seconds on Photoshop.

Yeah, so you'll have to ask for a new SIM for a Nexus 5, but they'll have that with you in a couple of days.

So much cheaper than mucking about with contracts

f0rk

So this resolution thing, are there any videos or even screenshots showing how much worse the Xbox One versions look or is it still just people getting mad about numbers?

SteveWD40

So this resolution thing, are there any videos or even screenshots showing how much worse the Xbox One versions look or is it still just people getting mad about numbers?

Pretty much. Usually people go fucking crazy over tiny details. I always laugh at these Digital Foundry vids when I watch them and think "they look exactly the fucking same!".

I miss the days when console wars were fought over exclusives, Mario v Sonic, Goldeneye v MGS etc... Now it's just "how many pixels does this mulitplatform warshootman game have???".

SmokyDave

Eh, it's 50/50. On the one hand, I can live with 720p (and expect many PS4 games to be 720p). On the other hand, it's a much larger difference than any PS3 / 360 multiplat this gen and lord knows plenty of words were typed over those.

If you don't know what you're missing, it won't bother you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom