• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
One of my favourite lyrics right now:

From this band called whores who do sludgy

"I tried and I tried
To burn down this town
Turns out
I'm an amateur at everything"

It always makes me smile

Volotaire

Greetings wallflower.

But mind you lern to spel Cinzano proper or there mite be trouble.

Dammit. Just noticed I forgot to take my rugby kit off after the Six Nations - oh well, roll on the World Cup.

Anyone else going to join us in UK PoliGAF while all this Labour Leadership thing is going on? I'm hanging my hat on Corbyn and Creasy, and may the consequence be that we live in interesting times.

Edit: sploatee is a highly strung drama queen. You heard it here first second.

I should start posting again in PoliGAF.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
One of my favourite lyrics right now:

From this band called whores who do sludgy

"I tried and I tried
To burn down this town
Turns out
I'm an amateur at everything"

It always makes me smile

I like Tell Me Something Scientific.

Also, if you want great lyrics try The Paperchase - Said The Spider To The Fly. No monolithic sludge riffs though, it's more like Ben Folds with an arrangement by Schoenberg. Bloody heart wrenching.

NinjaBoiX

Why does Tim Roth's English accent in that short clip sounds like a bad impression?
Because it's an exaggerated accent? Don't be dissing Roth bro, he's mint.

Trailer looked OK but I think Tarantino has kind of lost his magic, he hasn't make a truly great movie since Jackie Brown. Kill Bill was pretty decent, didn't care for Inglorious Basterds and I thought Django Unchained was mediocre. He made an incredible trilogy of crime movies then made a load of homages to his favourite genres, that's great and all that but I think he's had his moment. And I say this as the biggest fanboy circa 1999.

Jackie Brown > Pulp Fiction > Reservoir Dogs >>> all those other movies he also made

Death Proof is garbage but I think that was almost the point.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
He made an incredible trilogy of crime movies then made a load of homages to his favourite genres, that's great and all that but I think he's had his moment.

To be fair, those crime movies were homages to his favourite things too: RD owes a metric shit ton to Hong Kong cinema, City on Fire and A Better Tomorrow Part 1 & 2 specifically; JB is based on an Elmore Leonard (?) book. Hell, he apparently poached the whole middle section of his masterpiece Pulp Fiction (Butch's Story) from a script his ex-buddy Roger Avary wrote.

Barring his alleged plagiarism, he's like a cinematic hip hop artist, you can't really have a go at him for sampling when he creates something fresh out of them. Sergio Leone did the same thing in Once Upon A Time in The West and that's held up as one of the greatest films ever made in some circles.

Also: Django and Kill Bill were awesome. Death Proof was better as a part of the double-feature.

NinjaBoiX

To be fair, those crime movies were homages to his favourite things too: RD owes a metric shit ton to Hong Kong cinema, City on Fire and A Better Tomorrow Part 1 & 2 specifically; JB is based on an Elmore Leonard (?) book. Hell, he apparently poached the whole middle section of his masterpiece Pulp Fiction (Butch's Story) from a script his ex-buddy Roger Avary wrote.
Rum Punch.

I know all this, as I say, I was such a nerd about him in my late teens. I used to read books about him, obsess over scenes (the first time I overheard Jules' "walk the earth" ephinany in the background at the start of Pulp Fiction my mind was blown) and listen to his soundtracks over and over.

He's never been coy about paying tribute to his cinematic passions and I think that's what makes him such a unique filmmaker, I just don't think he quite has the verve and swagger he once did.

Fun fact: his producer pal Lawrence Bender is the "fucking hairy yuppie" at the end of Pulp Fiction.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I thought he sounded hilarious.

He did! But he's English, it is a weird accent considering that! I do wish he was in more films that aren't FIFA propaganda anyway.

Tarantino has been on an upswing recently. IB and Django, whilst not perfect films, were a huge improvement on the Kill Bills and Deathproof. I still think Jackie Brown is his best, likely because it was a more restrained and less indulgent version of his work (only film not written by him IIRC) and I'd love to see him doing something similar. I actually think Inherent Vice would have been a good film for him to do.

That said, if he wants to keep making Westerns who am I to argue? It is a woefully underserved genre and doesn't H8ful Eight have Morricone?!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Rum Punch.

I know all this, as I say, I was such a nerd about him in my late teens. I used to read books about him, obsess over scenes (the first time I overheard Jules' "walk the earth" ephinany in the background at the start of Pulp Fiction my mind was blown) and listen to his soundtracks over and over.

He's never been coy about paying tribute to his cinematic passions and I think that's what makes him such a unique filmmaker, I just don't think he quite has the verve and swagger he once did.

Fun fact: his producer pal Lawrence Bender is the "fucking hairy yuppie" at the end of Pulp Fiction.

Fair enough. Personally, I think he's only got one film that could be reasonably called duff to his name (Death Proof). IB is incredible. It has some of his very best scenes.

He did! But he's English, it is a weird accent considering that! I do wish he was in more films that aren't FIFA propaganda anyway.

Tarantino has been on an upswing recently. IB and Django, whilst not perfect films, were a huge improvement on the Kill Bills and Deathproof. I still think Jackie Brown is his best, likely because it was a more restrained and less indulgent version of his work (only film not written by him IIRC) and I'd love to see him doing something similar. I actually think Inherent Vice would have been a good film for him to do.

That said, if he wants to keep making Westerns who am I to argue? It is a woefully underserved genre and doesn't H8ful Eight have Morricone?!

I imagine Tim Roth will be stand in this, even in a film with such a quality cast.

Westerns are Best...erns. My favourite genre by a country mile and I'm glad Tarantino is all over them. He knows his shit.

Yeah, they resolved their communications breakdown so Morricone is indeed on soundtrack duties. Can't wait (saw him earlier in the year).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Anyone else going to join us in UK PoliGAF while all this Labour Leadership thing is going on? I'm hanging my hat on Corbyn and Creasy, and may the consequence be that we live in interesting times.

Well I would if I felt like making a fool of myself by talking about stuff I don't really know about. All I know is I think Labour should split into two separate parties if all this internal bickering is going to continue for 20 more years.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Inglorious Basterds is my favourite of his. All killer, no filler. Brad Pitt amazing. So funny. Grazie!

Never liked Pulp Fiction as much as everyone else.

Django rocks although last act a bit wonky imo.

Kill Bill ok

Reservoir Dogs good

Jackie Brown good

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I'd go with that. It's the last twenty or so minutes where the film stumbles a bit.

I'm still shocked SLJ didn't get an Oscar nod. Stephen was an incredible character and a great performance. First time I saw it, it took me a while before I even realised who Stephen was.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yeah, I'd go with that. It's the last twenty or so minutes where the film stumbles a bit.

I'm still shocked SLJ didn't get an Oscar nod. Stephen was an incredible character and a great performance. First time I saw it, it took me a while before I even realised who Stephen was.

Yeah. It's from when QT turns up himself it goes a bit loose when it's been whip smart and focused until then.

Amazing performance- but QT is just amazing with actors generally. Leo is amazing in the film, obvs Christoph, and then in inglorious you have pretty much an amazing ensemble. The guy who plays the German hero soldier is incredible.

NinjaBoiX

Inglorious Basterds is my favourite of his. All killer, no filler. Brad Pitt amazing. So funny. Grazie!

Never liked Pulp Fiction as much as everyone else.

Kill Bill ok

Reservoir Dogs good

Jackie Brown good
OK, proper ranking for me:

1) Jackie Brown - the screenplay is the pinnacle of his jive talk style, so many incredible lines. Amazing cast, intricate, twisting story and handsomely shot. Best soundtrack too.

2) Pulp Fiction - just a really well paced and often surprising crime thriller shot through with a wonderful sense of black comedy, couldn't argue with anyone rating it number 1.

3) Reservoir Dogs - one of the finest debuts of all time, brimming with bravado and manic violent energy, a fantastic movie.

4) Kill Bill - incredible action scenes, very well shot and wonderfully inventive. Part 1's script wasn't as sparkling as we've come to expect and the pacing in Part 2 isn't the best but I like it.

5) Inglorious Basterds - I think the tone is all over the place and it's quite frankly kind of corny in parts, but it does have some amazing scenes, usually involving Christopher Waltz (the farmhouse, the restaurant). It's a good movie, but not up to his usual calibre for me.

6) Django Unchained - I dunno man, I didn't get it. Again, it felt uneven in tone and the last section as sploatee said is a massive letdown. I completely lost interest once they reach the plantation and I thought the Epic Shootout™ was lame and not very well staged to be honest.

7) Death Proof - I know it was an homage to exploitation b-movies from the 70's, but I really though it was pretty poor. Maybe it was meant to be, maybe he nailed it, maybe was so fervent in his drive to pay tribute to these kinds of movies that he didn't care if people didn't get it. Doesn't make it a good movie though.
Fair enough. Personally, I think he's only got one film that could be reasonably called duff to his name (Death Proof). IB is incredible. It has some of his very best scenes.
I think this is a fair point. I'm not a big fan of Django and IB but they're good movies. It's just he was on such a high (in which I would include Kill Bill) that his last two movies have felt like a letdown imo.

I don't really like him as a personality so it pains me to say this, but I even liked Death Proof. Inglorious and Django are amazing too. I think they're up there with Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. For some reason I still haven't seen Jackie Brown. I should give that a go.

Volotaire

I watched my first Tarantino film a few weeks ago. I started with Pulp Fiction which floored me with its unorthodox structure and humour.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Ninj I know we're not on best terms yadda yadda but you're damn right about Jackie Brown.

-

Well, I gots a diagnosis. "Recurrent depressive disorder". It's a biological thing rather than a mood thing. I'm a bit of a sensitive person (no, really?!) and when I get too stressed or anxious my brain physically can't cope and shuts down, meaning it doesn't produce the proper normal chemicals, hence these depressions every few months because I don't bloody talk about anything to do with how I feel properly and somewhere decided that complex emotions were all lies and life is just primary colours. Anyway, there you go.

I've got 2 more therapy sessions today. Blimey.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Ninj I know we're not on best terms yadda yadda but you're damn right about Jackie Brown.

-

Well, I gots a diagnosis. "Recurrent depressive disorder". It's a biological thing rather than a mood thing. I'm a bit of a sensitive person (no, really?!) and when I get too stressed or anxious my brain physically can't cope and shuts down, meaning it doesn't produce the proper normal chemicals, hence these depressions every few months because I don't bloody talk about anything to do with how I feel properly and somewhere decided that complex emotions were all lies and life is just primary colours. Anyway, there you go.

Crickey. Identifying the problem is half way to a solution. Good luck with the sessions, Sploat.

8bit

Knows the Score
And then you meet me, your whole world changes because everything I say is everything you've ever wanted to hear. So you drop all your defences and you drop all your fears and trust me completely.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
And then you meet me, your whole world changes because everything I say is everything you've ever wanted to hear. So you drop all your defences and you drop all your fears and trust me completely.

HA HA HA HA

SUCKER

I'M A LIAR!!!!!!!

LIAR!!!!!!

Always makes me laugh!

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I want to meet 8bit because it's his fault I'm training to become an engineer.

Obviously it's not all his fault but he played a part albeit small

NinjaBoiX

I love Black Flag and Rollins Band, and Henry Rollins is undoubtedly a dude. But he's also a massive sellout hypocrite:

"Fuck the system! Fight the power! Stick it to the man!

Also, watch my new TV talk show and wear Levis."

62ZpILQ.jpg

-

In my professional medical opinion Sploatee... *chews cashews* it seems to me that what you neeed...*swallows* is to Turn That Frown...Upside Down.

If you would like any more information or a private and confidential doctor-patient consultation, don't hesitate to fax me.

Yours,

Dr Daps MD

hLkUjqc.png

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
In my professional medical opinion Sploatee... *chews cashews* it seems to me that what you neeed...*swallows* is to Turn That Frown...Upside Down.

If you would like any more information or a private and confidential doctor-patient consultation, don't hesitate to fax me.

Yours,

Dr Daps MD

hLkUjqc.png

Chz duck

I like Liar by Jesus Lizard... I like The Liars... but no, I missed the Rollins/Black Flag boat. Always seemed a bit macho for my liking. Is it any good...?

It is. Jesus Get Some Go Again is just weight lifting music. But Liar is awesome. It's funny. Try it! It's only 5 mins of yr life.

SuperSah

Banned
I made it guys! I got into York to study Law, and I cannot be happy to have achieved so highly and make it into a top leading university!

Thank you all for your wishes! :D

I made it guys! I got into York to study Law, and I cannot be happy to have achieved so highly and make it into a top leading university!

Thank you all for your wishes! :D

Brilliant! Congratulations!
York campus also doubles up as the perfect parkour arena, so I'd that's your jam you'll be golden!

How long until you head off to start?

8bit

Knows the Score
I want to meet 8bit because it's his fault I'm training to become an engineer.

Obviously it's not all his fault but he played a part albeit small

Please don't hit me, you're bigger than me.

Thanks, that's a nice thing to read. Hope it serves you well in future.

Chz duck

It is. Jesus Get Some Go Again is just weight lifting music. But Liar is awesome. It's funny. Try it! It's only 5 mins of yr life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCLizTg9nWo

I watched Jackie Brown last night thanks to this thread, haven't seen it in years and had forgotten everything apart from Beaumont, for some reason. Was cool to watch a film for a second time and yet have no idea who was playing who!

Well good.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, Jackie Brown has a complex plot, so many characters, elements, locations, double crosses, triple crosses, I love it. It took me like three watches to really truly get every aspect of it, but it's beautiful when it all clicks.
I watched Jackie Brown last night thanks to this thread, haven't seen it in years and had forgotten everything apart from Beaumont, for some reason. Was cool to watch a film for a second time and yet have no idea who was playing who!

Well good.
lol, Beaumont, funny fucker. The scene before they go to do the gun sale and Ordell wants him to pop out of the boot with a shotgun is amazing:

Beaumont: "You outta your mind if you think I'm getting in that dirty ass trunk! Why can't I ride up front with you?"

Ordell: "You can't ride up front with me nigga, the surprise element is 90% of it."

Beaumont: "Man, I wanna help you but I don't want to ride in no trunk of no car! I got a thing about small spaces."

Ordell: "Well I got a thing about paying $10,000 to get ungrateful peanut heads like you outta jail but I did it. And how small was that jail cell motherfucker?"

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Mr Rollins is terrifying. I don't imagine he feels any emotion ever other than ULTIMATE POWER.

-

Rehab diary #12450.3: today I am going to actually go to a rehearsal room and "jam" (ugh) with some other musicians. Second time I ever have done this. #youneedtoknowthis

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
please just keep playing bob marley riffs over and over regardless of what the other musicians do. please.

Fuck that. What kind of sicko are you?!

@SPLOAT: Put all pedals on full. Crank up the gain on your amp. Jam a screw driver in between the strings around the 12th fret. Randomly turn the tuning pegs. Push the strings down with your left hand as you crack the bridge end of the strings with a drumstick in your right. Laugh maniacally whilst staring wide-eyed at the most frail band member.

Hit record.

Thank me later.

Fuck that. What kind of sicko are you?!

@SPLOAT: Put all pedals on full. Crank up the gain on your amp. Jam a screw driver in between the strings around the 12th fret. Randomly turn the tuning pegs. Push the strings down with your left hand as you crack the bridge end of the strings with a drumstick in your right. Laugh maniacally whilst staring wide-eyed at the most frail band member.

Hit record.

Thank me later.

mate, i am helping sploatee to make art, not whatever neat, glossy, manufactured pop crap you're suggesting.

Top Bottom