• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British study finds that more than 1 in 3 vegetarians eat meat when they’re drinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...getarians-eat-meat-drinking-article-1.2391444

Vegetarians are drunk-dialing an old flame: meat.

A new study reveals that 37% of animal-shunning eaters have a cow (or a chicken or a pig) when they’ve been drinking.

And 34% said they do it every time they drink, while 26% said they do it fairly often, according to the survey by the U.K.-based company Voucher Codes Pro.

In other words, friends, don’t let vegetarian friends dine drunk.

“It’s important to support (vegetarians) when drunk and urge them not to eat meat as I’m sure they regret it the next day,” said George Charles, the founder of Voucher Codes Pro, a coupon company.

And they do regret it the next day: 69% said they don’t tell others when they’ve eaten meat.

When they’re falling off the wagon, 39% of lapsed vegetarians say they go for cheap street kebabs, while 34% hear the siren song of burgers and 27% go for bacon.

Just 19% cheat with fried chicken and 14% with pork sausages.

Bacon, a notorious cheat food for vegetarians, not as big in this group.

I'd thought it would be more. 33 percent ain't' that bad given the impaired judgment that drinking may incur in higher quantities.

Edit: Looks like the "study" is spurious.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=182551217&postcount=24

Feel free to lock the thread.

Arkeband

Banned

entremet

"The siren song of burgers"

Burgers are pretty alluring.

I think there are many factors at play here, though.

Impaired judgment, reduced willpower and self control.

The hunger effects of alcohol consumption, especially grain based alcohols.

And the lack of vegetarian friendly street and bar foods.

Joni

Burgers and kebab are street foods, so you get drunk in the bar and you have easy access to burgers/kebabs. But how the hell does that work with bacon?

I'd thought it would be more. 33 percent ain't' that bad given the impaired judgment that drinking may incur in higher quantities.
Maybe 66% of them don't drink.

Newline

That's actually quite shocking to me. All the veggies I know have very strong feelings about their stance. They must feel so much shame, can't blame yourself too much for your drunk actions though.

Nikodemos

Yeah, there's a doner place near me and getting a giant chips/salad/doner monstrosity and some beer is the shit.
No chips, minimal salad for me. I'm already bloated from the beer, don't need more cellulose/starch to bloat me even further. Besides, I'd rather eat the sorry concoction in one sitting, 'cause I sure as shit shan't touch it come next morrow.

entremet

Burgers and kebab are street foods, so you get drunk in the bar and you have easy access to burgers/kebabs. But how the hell does that work with bacon?

Maybe 66% of them don't drink.

This a subset of drinking vegetarians, though.

A new study reveals that 37% of animal-shunning eaters have a cow (or a chicken or a pig) when they’ve been drinking.

Newline

Somebody needs to invent vegetarian kebap meat substitute.
B0-MiHzCMAADysA.png

Kinokou

To tackle this from another angle, it could probably be the result of vegetarian food being not being as easy to find at night as non vegetarian food.

Poona

Er... sounds like they're not vegetarian then.

Reminds me of people who smoke when they're around others who smoke ('to be social'), yet say they don't smoke.

Dio

Banned
No chips, minimal salad for me. I'm already bloated from the beer, don't need more cellulose/starch to bloat me even further. Besides, I'd rather eat the sorry concoction in one sitting, 'cause I sure as shit shan't touch it come next morrow.
I'm not at the age where I need to worry about any of that stuff yet. I eat the whole thing in one sitting too, I'll probably not be able to do this and not gain a single pound in several years.

Newline

Er... sounds like they're not vegetarian then.

Reminds me of people who smoke when they're around others who smoke ('to be social'), yet say they don't smoke.
Veggies make a lifestyle decision to avoid meat, peoples ability to make logical decisions radically declines under the influence of alcohol. What you've said is very similar to "that guy isn't actually gay, he slept with a girl when he was drunk".

study was bullshit. It was only an online poll site that made you answer bullshit questions to get free shit.

That was the basis for the numbers.

dity

study was bullshit. It was only an online poll site that made you answer bullshit questions to get free shit.

That was the basis for the numbers.

1 in 3 poll takers were drunk while they answered, however 69% admitted wouldn't admit it the next day. 39% of lapsed poll takers admit to using Surveymonkey, while 34% hear the siren song of Questionpro.

Just 19% cheat with gaf polls.

Close to 15 years for me. Only slipped up for an unlabelled pizza at a canteen, thinking about it I should have made a fuss because it looked like cheese to me. Bit into it and found it was full of chicken. I nearly vomited. People are often surprised when I say I've been doing it so long, but these stats make me understand why.

Shit in a tray merchants should have better vegetarian options for late night drinkers. I used to have to get chips in a pita because it was the only option.

in before gaf vegetarians come in and tell us about how they've never done this

Yeah, that would almost be as bad as people using this topic as a launch-off to mock and dismiss vegetarians as being 'fake' and how the research confirmed their suspicions all along, all while becoming completely unaware they were duped by a marketing survey that they only think is actual legitimate research.

Thankfully, there's no chance of that happening, right?

SpaceWolf

Banned
Why would they when the study is obviously fake, and anyone with basic critical thinking skills would have immediately recognized that?

Yeah, that would almost be as bad as people using this topic as a launch-off to mock and dismiss vegetarians as being 'fake' and how the research confirmed their suspicions all along, all while becoming completely unaware they were duped by a marketing survey that they only think is actual legitimate research.

Thankfully, there's no chance of that happening, right?

tumblr_m1fu9akCaD1qbwjgso1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom