• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broadchurch - A compelling mystery series w/ David Tennant - S2 - Mondays on ITV

Status
Not open for further replies.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Gracepoint trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9IWvbbZPZc

I know it's a remake but I wasn't expecting it to look exactly the same for the most part. I'll watch out of interest but I doubt I'll watch it all.
That's so uninspired. They really didn't change anything. I'm assuming the only difference for this one will be that the reason, but with the same killer. (The cop's husband, since her son pretty much looked at him suspiciously.)

David Tennant's secret to finally acquiring a passable American accent?

Do a Martin Sheen impersonation.

Seriously, listen to the last 30 seconds

Tugatrix

It's really bizarre seeing the exact look and feel of the original paired with a generic American TV trailer soundtrack. I hope the actual show retains something similar to the great music choices in the original.

Doubt it Olafur Arnalds not included on the american one

Gracepoint is filming where I used to live (moved four months ago) and I have a handful of friends working on the production. It's super weird to see Tennant back in the role but with a different accent. Don't know if that's ever been done before.

- Deadline: ‘Broadchurch’ Season Two Rounds Out Cast: Photo
ITV‘s Broadchurch just scooped three BAFTA TV Awards on Sunday, and this morning had its first read-through for Season 2. The past 10 days have seen regular cast updates with David Tennant reprising his role as Detective Alec Hardy and BAFTA Lead Actress winner Olivia Colman returning as Detective Ellie Miller. Also in the returning cast are Jodie Whittaker, Andrew Buchan and Arthur Darvill. New to the series, whose plot details are being kept top secret, are Charlotte Rampling, Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Eve Myles and James D’Arcy. The photo below is the first time they’ve all been snapped together. Releasing the pic is one way to tide over fans; series creator and writer Chris Chibnall has appealed to the media and the public who might observe filming in Dorset and Somerset later this month to refrain from divulging any tidbits.

cQLO9bU.jpg

Sorry to drag this thread up but just started watching this show. Made it two episodes in and was enjoying it, I guess. The directing is a bit over the top in places and feels like it's trying a bit too hard sometimes to be edgy, but whatever. My main problem is the appearance of a psychic, this is incredibly off putting for me, I can't take anything seriously if it's going to go down this supernatural shit street. Is this going to be a thing from now on, and is it worth carrying on?

Tugatrix

Sorry to drag this thread up but just started watching this show. Made it two episodes in and was enjoying it, I guess. The directing is a bit over the top in places and feels like it's trying a bit too hard sometimes to be edgy, but whatever. My main problem is the appearance of a psychic, this is incredibly off putting for me, I can't take anything seriously if it's going to go down this supernatural shit street. Is this going to be a thing from now on, and is it worth carrying on?

No the psychic is just a plot, in real investigations some show up trying to help investigations in the end they are not taken in consideration, and does happen in this show.

What made you think this would go supernatural?

No the psychic is just a plot, in real investigations some show up trying to help investigations in the end they are not taken in consideration, and does happen in this show.

What made you think this would go supernatural?

It seemed like the psychic had information about David Tennant's character. I don't mean supernatural as in ghosts, and I know that these crazy people turn up during real murder investigations but the tone of that one scene gave me the impression the psychic in this show had real powers which would just make me cringe so much my face would probably break.

Just tell me he's a weird pedo or something and I can carry on, if he is receiving messages from the dead I will just ditch the show.

Edit: Just read your post again, so he is just in this one scene or something? He isn't going to be a regular in the plot?

Tugatrix

It seemed like the psychic had information about David Tennant's character. I don't mean supernatural as in ghosts, and I know that these crazy people turn up during real murder investigations but the tone of that one scene gave me the impression the psychic in this show had real powers which would just make me cringe so much my face would probably break.

Just tell me he's a weird pedo or something and I can carry on, if he is receiving messages from the dead I will just ditch the show.

Edit: Just read your post again, so he is just in this one scene or something? He isn't going to be a regular in the plot?

He has just a minor plot nothing serious and he won't matter much for the case

i just binged this and found it fascinating how there wasn't a single gun in this. i haven't seen anything of the US remake but i bet there are 20 guns in the first few minutes.

mclem

In the meantime, I've been watching The Missing, which is similarly happy to take its time to tell the story. I'd recommend it as a pre-Broadchurch2 appetiser!

_Ryo_

Okay, I watched this and I liked the ending... :X

I didn't like that supernatural bullshit though... He knew too much for it to have been crazy and it just seems everything else was so grounded in reality that the supernatural shit didn't make any sense.

I started to watch gracepoint and it's exactly the same...

I guess the ending will be different because of the added episodes?

--
BTW, S2 of Broadchurch. Why are is the family from S1s case still in it? It'd be better if they moved onto another case entirely. Each season a different case stretched out would be cool.

Kathian

Banned
"There was a boy and he was killed. I caught the killer. So why am I still here?"

With that fly over shot is going to make Charlie Brokers round up I bet :D

So I haven't watched Broadchurch yet. I am watching Gracepoint though.

In Broadchurch, the killer was
the husband of the detective right?
So is Gracepoint trying to make it out to be the
son of the detective? He's acting a bit strange with destroying his laptop and he seemed to have wanted his friend's skateboard.

BTW, S2 of Broadchurch. Why are is the family from S1s case still in it? It'd be better if they moved onto another case entirely. Each season a different case stretched out would be cool.

I read the creator wanted season 2 to be about how the town has moved on from all these problems and not about a case.

Amir0x

Banned

son of the detective? He's acting a bit strange with destroying his laptop and he seemed to have wanted his friend's skateboard.

Damn they really are copying Broadchurch exactly.

Based on that spoiler, it's going to be the exact same killer :p

I am not too sure if it'll be the same killer. There are similarities, but both the producers and Tennant swear that the ending and killer is different. It will most likely be someone related to Miller though, but
not the husband.

survivor

Banned

I read the creator wanted season 2 to be about how the town has moved on from all these problems and not about a case.
The laptop thing already happened in Broadchurch and I think even the skateboard was a bit similar. Hell the ending of this week's Gracepoint episode still makes it out that the killer is still the detective's husband.

Amir0x

Banned
I am not too sure if it'll be the same killer. There are similarities, but both the producers and Tennant swear that the ending and killer is different. It will most likely be someone related to Miller though, but
not the husband.

oh yeah? Then it probably is someone different then. I didn't read any interviews about Gracepoint because I just kept thinking "why are we having an American Broadchurch with David Tennant again exactly?"

I am not too sure if it'll be the same killer. There are similarities, but both the producers and Tennant swear that the ending and killer is different. It will most likely be
someone related to Miller though, but not the husband.

My guess is
it is the son who accidentally kills the friend or something and the father cleans it up to protect him. So you still get sort of the same result despite technically being different.

Violet_0

Banned
I haven't watched Gracepoint but the killer reveal can only be an improvement over Broadchurch
btw I find it kinda funny that David Tenant is playing the same role in both shows

It looks like they will delve into the "unsolved" case concerning David Tennant's character and the "two girls". Predictable, but I'll still watch.

Is there anywhere I can watch this online? I think I only watched the first episode when it was on TV, but would like to catch up properly before the second series televises.

haha damn did i call that

Well, the dad was still "involved" with the boy in some manner. Didn't quite like how the female detective ends up having to keep the secret of the kid. (Only watched the last episode of GP, but GOODNESS it is weird how same it is, beat per beat, including the finale with the bonfires along the coast.

mclem

It looks like they will delve into the "unsolved" case concerning David Tennant's character and the "two girls". Predictable, but I'll still watch.

Well, I don't think it'll be directly linked to Sandbrook (Given that took place in, er, Sandbrook!), but there might well be pointed parallels. It does sound like this is only an abduction, at least at first, but I bet Hardy is desperate to avoid history repeating

Well, I don't think it'll be directly linked to Sandbrook (Given that took place in, er, Sandbrook!), but there might well be pointed parallels. It does sound like this is only an abduction, at least at first, but I bet Hardy is desperate to avoid history repeating

Probably not directly, but the trailer references the Sandbrook case pretty often, including the pendant wearing girl. But it also looks like they will deal with the aftermath of the first season's case.

Opiate

I watched this on Netflix. As noted by others, the writing is plodding at times, and the case seemingly meandering just to fill out 8 episodes.

But it was still good because of Olivia Colman. This was not a detective show starring David Tennant, it was a detective show starring Colman. One of the best performances I've seen on TV or film in quite some time.

kingocfs

I also just finished this today after catching a commercial for it on BBCA a few days back and thought it was good but I agree, Colman was simply excellent.

Final ep spoilers:
When he tells her it was Joe, she nailed that reaction. Had me legit shook.

Show looked really great too. I was pleasantly surprised by it and will definitely stick around for season 2.

If Broadchurch was a game it would be Heavy Rain.

Despite that, I did like the characters enough to at least bring me back for Season 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom