• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse |OT| Paris in the spring

Gangxxter

hz1.jpg

Please be excited.

Gotta love Charles :)

GavinUK86

No, I can't start it either.

i'm not sure if this is the same issue but the beta last week wouldn't run for me and a ton of others but we figured out that by removing/renaming the file openal32.dll in the installation directory fixed it. the game doesn't need it but for some reason it included the file in the installation. again, no idea if that helps this time. mines still downloading.... very slowly i may add. thanks a bunch virgin media.

Social

Can someone with the GOG version post their main EXE, it should work with that one unless of course, it doesn't

Gangxxter

They released a patch on Steam a few minutes ago, now the game is working.
Also in native 1080p, but the assets are still "low-res" 720p. Still looks better than upscaling 720p on my monitor.

Jennipeg

I'm having trouble with Steam, an error message pops up when I try to run the game, it says 'Failed to start game (missing executable)' Is anyone else getting this message or is it something to do with my computer? I'm using a Mac btw.

inm8num2

When's that stream party starting? I've checked the developer diaries in my email and the updates at kickstarter but don't see any direct links to it.

Gangxxter

I'm having trouble with Steam, an error message pops up when I try to run the game, it says 'Failed to start game (missing executable)' Is anyone else getting this message or is it something to do with my computer? I'm using a Mac btw.
There is no Mac version yet, you have to wait until they release it.

When's that stream party starting? I've checked the developer diaries in my email and the updates at kickstarter but don't see any direct links to it.
Check your email from support@revultion.co.uk from December 1st. Link is for backers only.

bj00rn_

Banned
They released a patch on Steam a few minutes ago, now the game is working.
Also in native 1080p, but the assets are still "low-res" 720p. Still looks better than upscaling 720p on my monitor.

Yeah, I just booted it up via Steam and it looks slightly blurry. Naive me was looking for the "high res" option.., couldn't find it, LOL. Nah, but it looks fine enough I guess.

Jennipeg

There is no Mac version yet, you have to wait until they release it.

Oh ok thanks, that makes some sense, although it let me buy and download it, it has a desktop shortcut. Hopefully it will let me download it again when it actually comes out on Mac.

Stuart444

Don't have much time to play it just now but I quickly checked it out... George sounds a little older but he's still George :D. Nico sounds pretty good too.

Art is really nice looking and George seems to have his usual sense of humour.

Hoping to play it more properly later in the week :)

Gangxxter

Oh ok thanks, that makes some sense, although it let me buy and download it, it has a desktop shortcut. Hopefully it will let me download it again when it actually comes out on Mac.
If you think about it, that doesn't make sense at all. They sell the Mac Version yet they don't have a build ready which they could sell. Instead they published something broken only to have "something" available.

But fear not, they'll fix/publish it soon. Apparently on GOG.com the Mac version is already available.

Jennipeg

If you think about it, that doesn't make sense at all. They sell the Mac Version yet they don't have a build ready which they could sell. Instead they published something broken only to have "something" available.

But fear not, they'll fix/publish it soon. Apparently on GOG.com the Mac version is already available.

Yeah your right, thinking about it, it's stupid. I was worried that I had somehow bought the wrong version as i'm new to Steam, but that isn't possible because it made a desktop app. On the plus side it seems to be working now so I can jump in. I've been so excited to get this, I hope it's good.

Okay so some initial impressions;

- It's really funny. Not sure what Metro was talking about. It's funnier than the other games, if anything. Maybe a different KIND of humor, but I like it personally.
- Puzzles are numerous, if a little simple. The first few areas are quite small, so sometimes it comes down to process of elimination. I'm already stuck about an hour in, so maybe not so simple! There's a great one early on involving a
neon sign
. Also, I might only remember BS1's puzzles being so difficult because I was 10 when I first played it and had no concept of practical logic!
- VA and music is pretty much spot on. Getting some use out of my headphones here
- Graphics look perfectly serviceable and very pretty; a nice midway between the hand-drawn style of the older games and a 3D style. It's a work of art compared to BS3/4. Only negative is the animations are very simple, sometimes comically so. There's no lip-syncing to speak of either.

George's English VA Rolf Saxon speaking on the stream now! Also discussing the potential for a BS film. Apparently a lot of interest from studios, but it's not what Revolution themselves are interested in.

Jennipeg

Okay so some initial impressions;

- It's really funny. Not sure what Metro was talking about. It's funnier than the other games, if anything. Maybe a different KIND of humor, but I like it personally.

That's good to hear, I try and take opinions on humour with a pinch of salt. It's a very subjective thing. I've seen movies that are supposed to be hilarious, which barely made me smile. I'd only be wary if reviews said the script was just terrible. I probably won't get much play time until Friday, I can't wait to really get into it.

epmode

I never found the Broken Sword games to be flat out comedies. George says funny stuff sometimes but he's also pretty serious and kind of an asshole in that endearing adventure game way. I didn't see anything in the BS5 demo that seemed different than BS1 or 2 so the complaint about a change in the writing is surprising to me.

Maybe it gets worse after the demo area?

Hm... Is the audio volume low for anybody else? I've put everything up as much as it can go, including audio volume in Windows, but it's still not enough.

No the humor definitely remains constant past the demo area!

*George comes across a typewriter with Russian characters*
"Hmm. If only I could remember the layout of a US Keyboard, I'd be set.

inm8num2

Crazy as this sounds I'm going to hold off for now on redeeming my code. I'm busy enough with a couple other games and can wait.

epmode

Hm, is there any way to force 720p? The demo did it automatically but the full version is applying some gross scaling effect that wasn't there before.

edit: Aside from setting my Windows resolution to 720p, I mean.

It looks like BS5 is completely ignoring my Nvidia aspect ratio settings while in fullscreen mode. I'd rather have black bars than an incorrectly scaled image but it's still stretching the 16:9 image to 16:10.

So what are the incentives to play the previous games before this entry?

Well, the first two games are fantastic adventures and a couple of the best that the genre has to offer. As for the third and fourth games, I'd just read up on the plot. I don't think they are nearly as good as the first two.

There's also a fanmade Broken Sword 2.5 that is decent. It continues the 2D graphical style of the first two games and the story has to do with what goes on between the second and third game. For a fanmade game it is really well done, I think. It's free and shouldn't take you more than a few hours to get through it.

“The sound of traffic. The sun shining. A crime to solve. And Nico back in my life.”

It's like being back with old friends. They haven't missed a beat.

Played 1.5 hours. Been chuckling a lot, figured an art shop would be ripe material for comedy. Leave it to the Brits to have fine gallows humour over a dead body.

iUUM2Qg6LpdwH.gif

Praying over spilled pizza boxes? Meh
i2XuRwgr62pFv.gif

Cheap wine...and free sex?
ibvnhEG5OI7xqs.gif

So what are the incentives to play the previous games before this entry?

The first one is magnificent and you shouldn't miss it if you like the genre. From what I've played so far of this new entry, there's definitely a few references to the first game specifically, so you'd pick up on those as well.

Finished about 30% so far, enjoying it a lot. That'll do for today.

Oh shit
Madame Piermont
. Spit out my drink laughing!

Hadn't heard about 2.5 before, Charles talked about it a lot in the official livestream which is really cool. That'll keep me busy between the end of Episode 1 and whenever 2 releases! On that note, we got a sort of vague "Q1 2014", when I thought originally it was confined to January. A little concerning, but oh well.

jwk94

The first one is magnificent and you shouldn't miss it if you like the genre. From what I've played so far of this new entry, there's definitely a few references to the first game specifically, so you'd pick up on those as well.

Finished about 30% so far, enjoying it a lot. That'll do for today.

Well, the first two games are fantastic adventures and a couple of the best that the genre has to offer. As for the third and fourth games, I'd just read up on the plot. I don't think they are nearly as good as the first two.

There's also a fanmade Broken Sword 2.5 that is decent. It continues the 2D graphical style of the first two games and the story has to do with what goes on between the second and third game. For a fanmade game it is really well done, I think. It's free and shouldn't take you more than a few hours to get through it.
What about the plot? Would I need to play the previous entries to understand what's going on or is every game designed to be approachable to newcomers?

What about the plot? Would I need to play the previous entries to understand what's going on or is every game designed to be approachable to newcomers?

You'll be fine. It's not really a continuing plot. The best way I can describe it is like Indiana Jones where George finds himself in a different adventure in every game. Nico, of course, is a recurring character/love interest, but playing a Broken Sword game is not like trying to jump into, say, Metal Gear four games later.

If you like BS5, by all means pick up the first one. It's a considered a classic and it's aged really, really well considering I only first played it on the directors cut a few years ago on Wii. A lot of people like the second one, but I played it on PS1 and the loading times were horrible. The third one was love or hate because it was 3D and not as good as the previous two. I never played four because I heard it was horrible.

The first one is one of my favorite games of all time FWIW.

Yeah for the story you definitely don't need to play any of the other games. Still, it definitely flirts with the first game in more ways than one - I guess they know who their intended audience is - so it could be worth playing because of that. Also because it's amazing and towers over the rest.

Just finished the first episode and thoroughly enjoyed it. While it can't really hold a candle to Shadow of the Templars, I think I like it better than the second game (which I admittedly am so-so on). It is on the simple side, but then again neither of the first two are very difficult. I didn't really get stuck - nothing like the goat! - and it took me about 8 hours to finish. I really didn't rush through it though, more like clicking every hot spot twice and talking everyone about everything even if I knew what to do. I was surprised I clocked in at eight, definitely felt shorter and time kinda flew by. Looking forward to continuing this adventure next month (?); i can see it getting more epic from here on.

Rolf did good as expected and I like this Nico's VO better than the other ones I think. Visually the handpainted backdrops look amazing and I think the characters - while they definitely 'stand out' more than in the first games - aren't that bad and some of the animations are very good. I'd prefer the style of the first games as it felt more coherent but I still have no real problems with this. Music is great too.

Sloane

Banned
So far, I fucking love it. I love the backgrounds, I love the music, I love Schottky's voice (which sounds much better than in the Director's Cut), I love the choice of locations, I love the old icons, I love that you can ask other characters about random items, I love that the puzzles aren't there to stop you from progressing, I love all the callbacks to the original and I love how reminiscent it is of it.

The characters animations look a bit wonky, the resolution of the backgrounds should be higher, and the German translation is a bit iffy at times but that's about it.

Famassu

So.. uhh.. what do you have to do (miniscule spoilers: about 10% in, after neon sign puzzle):
to that lady at Vera insurance place? I've caught the cockroach, discussed different topics with her and showed her every item I have and I think I've tried to use every item I have onto all the hotspots in the area, I even tried calling her inside (to distract her to open the desk drawer) and outside. It doesn't let me leave the place since it says something like "I need to get as much out of that lady as possible before leaving", yet I'm not sure what could I possibly do more? I mean, the answer is probably something obvious, I think I'm just overlooking something

So.. uhh.. what do you have to do (miniscule spoilers: about 10% in, after neon sign puzzle):
to that lady at Vera insurance place? I've caught the cockroach, discussed different topics with her and showed her every item I have and I think I've tried to use every item I have onto all the hotspots in the area, I even tried calling her inside (to distract her to open the desk drawer) and outside. It doesn't let me leave the place since it says something like "I need to get as much out of that lady as possible before leaving", yet I'm not sure what could I possibly do more? I mean, the answer is probably something obvious, I think I'm just overlooking something

you've probably solved it by now but...
call her from inside the the place and when she's on the phone, turn off the radio. She'll hang up and goes to turn it back on and at that time you can look in her little black book for something you need.

Tizoc

Currently at 18% and enjoying it for the most part. There was a puzle that just required me to keep my eyes open on a certain object but I guess it was too dark for me to see.
Really want to see what the game'd look like on the Vita atm X3

Gangxxter

Just got stuck for frickin' 3 hours on the neon sign puzzle! I love to get stuck in adventure games and I really enjoyed it. But now I feel a little bit stupid because it was actually so easy...

Why, oh why, do you spell Aladdin with two D's? I thought it was only with one D -.-

Top Bottom