• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse |OT| Paris in the spring

Can anyone tell me if it's possible as a KS backer to redeem that against the Vita version? If not I'll probably buy it tonight anyway. I'll get both episodes.

Valkyria

Banned
Well, i haven't played it very long yet, but it looks great on the Vita! The animations are sometimes awkward in the cutscenes, but i don't care. It looks and plays very good so far. :)

So how do you play? You use the touchscreen as the mouse or do you move the character with the analogue stick? Is the text size good enough to read them?

reminder

So how do you play? You use the touchscreen as the mouse or do you move the character with the analogue stick? Is the text size good enough to read them?

Controls are touchscreen only. You can swipe your finger around the screen and things you can interact with will show a blue circle when you swipe over them. You can disable the blue circles if you don't want them. To interact, you hold the finger onto it and the options will show (talk, take, use, etc.) and you simply have to touch the symbol.

The text size is perfect and you have two options. Classic text like in the older Broken Sword games and other adventure games, or a modern version. I took two screenshots to give you an impression:

classic text
Z0aWeN7.jpg

modern text
IDobwdr.jpg

The Plus discount on episode 1+2 was originally 20% but was changed to 10%. Fuck sake.

Maybe it was a mistake at 20%? It's been 10% here in the UK since the game went live, and since Revolution are English I'd assume at least that's correct.

EDIT - ignore my previous comment. Weirdly, there's 20% off the first episode and 10% off the second episode. But the first is £10 before discount and both are £16 before discount, so even considering this you're better buying both episodes. I think I'll do it tonight. Got nowhere to save them, but I do have a new memory card on order.

Famassu

£20 is around $30 which is more than the price of the pc ver.
Well, everything is almost always a little bit more expensive in Europe, so comparing British pound/EU Euro prices to US dollar is always silly, they are never 1:1. IIRC BS5 is 23€ on Steam, which is around 32$ or so. That's a perfectly acceptable price for a completely new adventure game.

reminder

Wow, they changed the price indeed. Bought both episodes for 15,99€ with PS+ discount. Now it's 17,99€ with the discount. Glad i bought it as soon as i saw it in the webstore.

f@luS

More than a member.
just bought it on vita, cant wait

teraway and broken sword to do
killzone ,bf4 , ac4 & addons, & resogun to finish also

and mario world 3D...damn

Bebpo

Banned
I love how this game looks, and I love the nostalgia it brings, but yeah I agree with the reviews that Ep1's story is incredibly slow for anything to happen. I'm 29% and everytime I think something will move the plot it's back to the same old areas talking to the same old people. I know being a lower budget game they gotta keep the scale down, but that doesn't mean the pacing has to suffer.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Controls are touchscreen only. You can swipe your finger around the screen and things you can interact with will show a blue circle when you swipe over them. You can disable the blue circles if you don't want them. To interact, you hold the finger onto it and the options will show (talk, take, use, etc.) and you simply have to touch the symbol.

The text size is perfect and you have two options. Classic text like in the older Broken Sword games and other adventure games, or a modern version. I took two screenshots to give you an impression:

classic text

modern text
Thanks for the infos! :D
Maybe i have rose tinted glasses but man classic text is millions times better than the modern one imo!

Gangxxter

So it just works like on phones/tablets. You can't use the touchpad on the back, right?
Interesting, I was expecting some sort of direct control for the characters. Moving around the character with the thumb stick and searching for hot spots with the touchscreen. Would have been a nice combo I guess.

EDIT: How do you open the inventory with the classic UI on a touch screen? And why is there a small black border at the bottom in your screenshots?

Doomshine

I love how this game looks, and I love the nostalgia it brings, but yeah I agree with the reviews that Ep1's story is incredibly slow for anything to happen. I'm 29% and everytime I think something will move the plot it's back to the same old areas talking to the same old people. I know being a lower budget game they gotta keep the scale down, but that doesn't mean the pacing has to suffer.
Well I imagine that splitting the game into two episodes when it wasn't originally supposed to has a lot to do with that. I'm still debating whether I should wait for the second episode before starting or not.

Well I imagine that splitting the game into two episodes when it wasn't originally supposed to has a lot to do with that. I'm still debating whether I should wait for the second episode before starting or not.

At this point it's probably worth waiting till Ep 2. Ep 1 doesn't do much for me as a standalone package for sure, and since they messed up their beta timings the game is still receiving patches on a regular basis

Been playing the Vita version... The port started out feeling really solid, but some issues did crop up as I got further into it. First some visual glitches in the restorers studio, then a full on crash to OS after dance cutscene, and most recently, a really nasty slow down whenever I opened the inventory in the flower shop.

The latter one seemed related to the number of items in the inventory (quit and restore didn't help), made it hard to even interact with the game. For some reason reading the document from the priest seemed to bypass the slowdown momentarily, enabling me to get though the scene and get the inventory size down. Which was a relief, for a moment there I thought I was stuck having to wait for a patch.

Morssa

Neo Member
Been playing the Vita version... The port started out feeling really solid, but some issues did crop up as I got further into it. First some visual glitches in the restorers studio, then a full on crash to OS after dance cutscene, and most recently, a really nasty slow down whenever I opened the inventory in the flower shop.

The latter one seemed related to the number of items in the inventory (quit and restore didn't help), made it hard to even interact with the game. For some reason reading the document from the priest seemed to bypass the slowdown momentarily, enabling me to get though the scene and get the inventory size down. Which was a relief, for a moment there I thought I was stuck having to wait for a patch.

What about using your finger as a mouse looking for objects to interact? That's my main concern. Does it feel right or ruins all that old Point n Click feeling?

Gangxxter

What about using your finger as a mouse looking for objects to interact? That's my main concern. Does it feel right or ruins all that old Point n Click feeling?
Works perfectly on phones (have been playing BS 1&2 a lot on my Galaxy S3 mini). I bet it even works better on a nice big tablet screen.

Ezi0

I completed Episode 1 earlier on the Vita. It was really good. I loved the story and am very much looking forward to the second part.

This is my first Broken Sword game too. I read in this thread that the previous games are coming to the PS4. That will be great :).

Morssa

Neo Member
I completed Episode 1 earlier on the Vita. It was really good. I loved the story and am very much looking forward to the second part.

This is my first Broken Sword game too. I read in this thread that the previous games are coming to the PS4. That will be great :).

Get 1 and 2 in any platform. For me at least they're the true point n click games!
And ignore 3 and 4 plx

Tizoc

Huh...doesn't look like this game's releasing next week in the US...must be due to holidays I guess? We'll see come Tuesday...

classic text
Z0aWeN7.jpg

modern text
IDobwdr.jpg

Ok, I can't believe I completely missed this in the options menu. I was just about to write a post complaining about how distracting the text bubbles are. It's also why I thought the director's cut of BS1 looked off..

Gangxxter

Ok, I can't believe I completely missed this in the options menu. I was just about to write a post complaining about how distracting the text bubbles are. It's also why I thought the director's cut of BS1 looked off..
Also make sure you play with classic UI (looks way better) and with hints OFF (game options menu). If you've enabled hints, the game lets you to combine only items in your inventory, which make sense/are the solution to the current puzzle.

s_mirage

Just finished part one. It was enjoyable but it should never have been split in two. IMHO it ends just as things start to get interesting and, since nothing has yet been resolved, I kind of feel as if I haven't achieved much at all. Unlike the Telltale games I've played, this isn't at all self contained as an individual episode and just feels as if it was a story abruptly cut in two. Which it is.

daviyoung

Banned
I'm about 25% of the way through and I think it's fantastic! Very slow paced, relaxed atmosphere, beautiful drawings, witty script and general easy-going air. My kind of game.

I was really sceptical at the beginning due to the CGI/hand-drawn mix but I wished I had supported the kickstarter now. No matter, it's good to have a real old timey (albeit less fiendish) point and clicker around. I hope this isn't the last thing Revolution do.

One of my GsOTY.

Just finished part one. It was enjoyable but it should never have been split in two. IMHO it ends just as things start to get interesting and, since nothing has yet been resolved, I kind of feel as if I haven't achieved much at all. Unlike the Telltale games I've played, this isn't at all self contained as an individual episode and just feels as if it was a story abruptly cut in two. Which it is.

I got it cheap on the Steam sale. Well, relatively cheap. Just finished part one a few minutes ago. I really liked it, but the pacing seemed kind of off. It seemed like with the other Broken Sword games that you'd be off in Spain by now. Not complaining. It was a fun 10 hours or so, but the real good stuff is going to be in part two. Anyone know what the status of this Kickstarter is? I really liked part one, but I hope it's not the case that they ran out of money with the first part or something. Also, even though I bought it on the Steam sale, it was the reduced price from the $25 version. Does that mean I'll get part two when it comes out or do I have to pay $15 for it?

Famassu

I got it cheap on the Steam sale. Well, relatively cheap. Just finished part one a few minutes ago. I really liked it, but the pacing seemed kind of off. It seemed like with the other Broken Sword games that you'd be off in Spain by now. Not complaining. It was a fun 10 hours or so, but the real good stuff is going to be in part two. Anyone know what the status of this Kickstarter is? I really liked part one, but I hope it's not the case that they ran out of money with the first part or something. Also, even though I bought it on the Steam sale, it was the reduced price from the $25 version. Does that mean I'll get part two when it comes out or do I have to pay $15 for it?
They didn't run out of money, but the project did balloon a bit larger than they originally thought and they simply couldn't finish it in the schedule they had planned, yet they wanted to give something to backers by the end of 2013.

Shiggy

Episode 2 looks to be coming in March now. Voice recording will only happen in early February.

The iOS version of ep 1 will be out at the end of Jan, with an Android version coming in February or March.

Tizoc

Episode 2 looks to be coming in March now. Voice recording will only happen in early February.

The iOS version of ep 1 will be out at the end of Jan, with an Android version coming in February or March.

Slightly bummed but hope they can wrap it all up in time.

Mr_Zombie

That sucks. Wasn't it planned to be released in January? I was hoping to play through both Ep1 and 2 this month. :/
But oh well, if that means more polishing, then go for it.

Top Bottom