• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Browns Coach Hue Jackson doesn't want protests, Shannon Sharpe takes exception

LionPride

Banned
Goddamn Shannon, I don't know how he kept it together. What a speech.
Shit he barely did

Started with the words shuckin n jivin, almost called him...the C word(a word we can no longer say on GAF)

Nigga had his foot tappin and everything just tryna find different words to say lmao

He is one of two black head coaches in the league. Its hard enough for minorities to get HC jobs without speaking out about things like this.

The Rooney rule is a joke in the NFL. He just wants to keep his job. If he spoke out in support of tye protests at the end of the season there would he no black head coaches left with how the Jets look

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Well at least Hue is already used to holding L's

at the end of the season there would he no black head coaches left with how the Jets look
Marvin Lewis will NEVER be fired. Lol

qcf x2

Dang, I've never seen Shannon Sharpe go off like that. He's right, and I am shocked and appalled that Hue Jackson said that. Figures, the Browns were finally having an almost perfect offseason...

He is one of two black head coaches in the league. Its hard enough for minorities to get HC jobs without speaking out about things like this.

The Rooney rule is a joke in the NFL. He just wants to keep his job. If he spoke out in support of tye protests at the end of the season there would he no black head coaches left with how the Jets look

This might be true, but at some point isn't it worth the risk to say "the players are their own men, let them decide" ? Or at least a passive "no comment" ?

cdyhybrid

The Rooney Rule is not a joke. It's vitally important. The problem is that the owners don't take it seriously - but there's nothing in place to force that to happen.

If the Rooney Rule were not a thing we'd have zero black head coaches.

Moppeh

Banned
Not a big football guy so I didn know anything about Shannon before this, but man, that was great. Passionate and eloquent, he completely nailed that.

I've been looking at Tony Dungy's Twitter and he keeps saying that Kaep's talent is keeping him from getting signed and not his kneeling. I have a feeling that Tony Dungy is not one that would stick up for his own people.

Kinda weird statement to make since like 90 percent of the black coaches in the league are part of the Dungy tree.

Lenz44

Banned
President, we need the National Guard! We need as many men as you can spare! Because Shannon is killing Hue Jackson.

(In case anyone misses the reference) https://youtu.be/OxsHXuM6ah0

But seriously, good on him for calling Hue Jackson out, and standing up for the players who feel they need too step up and protest.

Edit: go figure someone mentioned that earlier!

The Rooney Rule is not a joke. It's vitally important. The problem is that the owners don't take it seriously - but there's nothing in place to force that to happen.

If the Rooney Rule were not a thing we'd have zero black head coaches.

Ok sure the rule is not a joke its a good idea. But yhe ow ers just treat it like one. I feel sorry for the coaches that apply knowing they are just tyere to satisfy the rule

And i forgot about Lewis so 3 black head coaches in 32 teams.

In Australia all the AFL coaches are white and dont think we have any aboriginal assistant coaches in high positions. We dont have a rooney rule and no one ever talks about it.

Ok sure the rule is not a joke its a good idea. But yhe ow ers just treat it like one. I feel sorry for the coaches that apply knowing they are just tyere to satisfy the rule

And i forgot about Lewis so 3 black head coaches in 32 teams.

In Australia all the AFL coaches are white and dont think we have any aboriginal assistant coaches in high positions. We dont have a rooney rule and no one ever talks about it.

You forgot about the most successful black head coach in NFL history Mike Tomlin.

LionPride

Banned
Well they always do this prop up a token black person to push their objective. I would post a picture but I'll probably get perma banned triggering somebody.

I don't now why the word is banned if thats what somebody is might as well call him that. I guess this site likes to censor shit. I guess we might as well call them black anglo saxons.
One could say Hue is

giphy.gif

Or even worse

giphy.gif

Bronx-Man

Banned
Hue should be more worried over whether fucking Osweiler can lead this team to 2 wins this season instead of whether or not players can protest. Moron.

The easiest thing he could've said was that Protesting is an American tradition and proud part of our American history. Emphasis on AMERICAN.

Slayven

Way too many black men show their ass on this. The league and fans are telling you your only worth is as far as you can carry a ball. At least have some self respect.

NBA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NFL

What made you like it when you first saw it?

The first few games i was confused but it was fun to watch. All the hitting and stuff, the excitement of a big play from offense or D. And then i got Madden or 2K on PS2, which helped me understand the game and rules faster. It was a physical hard hitting game like AFL.

And i was looking for a sport to follow from Sept-March when the AFL is not being played. This matched up good.

At first Foxsports played a heap of Packers and Cowboys games, thats how i picked the Packers because of Favre.

Getting up at 3AM on a monday to watch games sucks when your team loses. So i lucked into a good team with Green Bay. and Gamepass has let me watch every game live since 2008, in 2007 some Yahoo service had them. Didnt start following College Football till 2009, but love that with how different the game is and works well with wasting a whole Sunday watching games on ESPN.

The first few games i was confused but it was fun to watch. All the hitting and stuff, the excitement of a big play from offense or D. And then i got Madden or 2K on PS2, which helped me understand the game and rules faster. It was a physical hard hitting game like AFL.

And i was looking for a sport to follow from Sept-March when the AFL is not being played. This matched up good.

At first Foxsports played a heap of Packers and Cowboys games, thats how i picked the Packers because of Favre.

Getting up at 3AM on a monday to watch games sucks when your team loses. So i lucked into a good team with Green Bay. and Gamepass has let me watch every game live since 2008, in 2007 some Yahoo service had them. Didnt start following College Football till 2009, but love that with how different the game is and works well with wasting a whole Sunday watching games on ESPN.

I was going to guess it was from a Football game. Honestly despite me watching the sport since a kid, playing Madden competitively among my friends made me have a deeper understanding of the game at a more technical and strategic level.

Twentieth

Eh. You know the Browns are just gonna fire Hue when the Browns take the traditional week 17 ass whooping.

He wants to make sure he gets some positional coaching position next year.

Reading Hue's quotes, he might be considering protests by players on his team to be a risk for their careers, which is a valid point, sadly.

LionPride

Banned
Way too many black men show their ass on this. The league and fans are telling you your only worth is as far as you can carry a ball. At least have some self respect.

NBA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NFL
NBA: We hear the concerns of our players and stand by them

NFL: Hm.....no

traveler

Not Wario
Basketball is the better sport anyway. Easier to enjoy spectating and don't have to feel guilty about supporting the association behind it = win/win

Shannon's anger is disquieting.

It's barely restrained and I can't even begin to fathom its depth.

I thought he actually handled it pretty well. I can't imagine how angry such a ridiculous position would make him. That he was able to deliver such a clear message that hit all the right points tactfully is impressive.

Im guessing that these people that feel the NFL should be a place for escaping issues in the real world have spoken out against the armed forces celebrations and the breast cancer stuff too right?

ScribbleD

Yeah a bunch of people embarrassing themselves, was so sad to see Tim Brown join the party.

What an ass.

If people are turning to football to make it easier to ignore protests and pleas against the bigotry that plagues the US and the resurgence in nazi ideology, it's even more important that "that stuff," shows up there, too. It shouldn't be easy to ignore or escape just because it's an ugly truth. The exact opposite, in fact.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Shannon has been pretty awesome lately. Didn't he also destroy Ray Lewis on that show?

Ray calling Kap a distraction when Ray was involved in a murderer when he was playing was one of the more ironic things I've heard recently.

Apharmd

...did you get your words mixed up or do you actually think watching that is anxiety-inducing

I meant that I'm shook on the amount of rage that I was seeing from Shannon. It is perfectly justifiable anger considering the situation and the person's circumstances who he's lambasting. I did use the wrong word in that regard.

I thought he actually handled it pretty well. I can't imagine how angry such a ridiculous position would make him. That he was able to deliver such a clear message that hit all the right points tactfully is impressive.

Yeah. You're right.

____

Shannon has been pretty awesome lately. Didn't he also destroy Ray Lewis on that show?

Ray calling Kap a distraction when Ray was involved in a murderer when he was playing was one of the more ironic things I've heard recently.

I think it was Michael Vick in regards to his comment on Kap needing to cut his hair to improve his image.

Sharpe has definitely not been having any shit lately and good on him.

He was holding back the word C*** like it hurt.

Edit: wait, I can't say this word here?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I don't even watch Basketball and i know how down Pop is

even the NBAs commissioner gets it.

Its amazing more players havent taken each others backs. 1) if you all do it, they can't cut you all 2) if more star players do it what are they going to do? The one thing that's remained constant in the NFL is if you are one of the best they will put up with a lot.

Sharpe's been spitting truth since his comments last year on this and other racial issues.

EPaul

Shannon Sharpe is now the best talking head on Sport Television for awhile now. Too bad he is such a Lebron Homer

LionPride

Banned
even the NBAs commissioner gets it.

Its amazing more players havent taken each others backs. 1) if you all do it, they can't cut you all 2) if more star players do it what are they going to do? The one thing that's remained constant in the NFL is if you are one of the best they will put up with a lot.

Sharpe's been spitting truth since his comments last year on this and other racial issues.
Issue is that for the players, this all they have

For the owners...it's just a side hustle

Top Bottom