• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bryan Fuller named showrunner of new Star Trek series

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Neither Star Trek setting is the actual universe.
image.php

Being a staff writer (or a low level writer) on something means nothing in terms of your ability to create something good later on. That's an issue we've had where if you're worked on Friends, you can literally sell anything and have a good chance to to get it on the air. And that's how you get... this.

I have never heard of the show Work It, and probably for a good reason since it seems to have only lasted for two episodes before cancellation. It looks so bad that it has piqued my morbid curiosity. But yeah, point well taken. Hannibal was great up until the last half of the final season before cancellation. You could see a huge drop off in quality right after they announced cancellation.

I'm late to the thread. Do we know if it's gonna be in reboot universe, or the ACTUAL universe? :p

That's what I am curious about too... it seems like the film rights and TV rights to Star Trek are now split up between two different companies. Paramount Pictures for the movie rights, and CBS for the TV rights. So I have to wonder if they are starting a new cannon for the TV show series, or doing some sort of alternate timeline that isn't connected to the Abrams series?

I'm late to the thread. Do we know if it's gonna be in reboot universe, or the ACTUAL universe? :p

I think there was talk of due to the weird way the movie rights are now that this could just be its own thing entirely.

I dont think that will really matter in the long run if they TNG it and just have a line saying its set decades after the voyages of Captain Kirk. Maybe its a different timeline again ... maybe its the Abrams one. It wouldn't matter.

I guess Vulcan still existing or not would be about the only important thing that would actually dictate if its existing in the movie canon or not.

I dont think that will really matter in the long run if they TNG it and just have a line saying its set decades after the voyages of Captain Kirk. Maybe its a different timeline again ... maybe its the Abrams one. It wouldn't matter.

TGN still had pretty strong ties to the original series and movie universe though. Especially with a lot of backstory that was built off of the the original cast movies and TV shows as well as cameos from DeForest Kelley, Leonard Nimoy, James Doohan and even William Shatner who appeared in the first TGN movie. Even the later TV series kept that cannon alive and so did the Abrams movies with prime Spock.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
won't give a shit about it anyway if my dream about a ST set 500 years in the future since DS9 won't come true

Akahige

Whoa, looking forward to this.

And goddamn this will be one of the best looking sci fi tv shows of all time if the quality of Hannibal is any indication.

UrbanRats

Okay seriously is this a joke or do you believe this? Fuller's series have died quick deaths because they appeal to a tiny group of people...even though they are incredible quality and well written

Star trek is star trek...it is a huge brand with a huge following...its not the same thing

I never really followed Star Trek, but i won't set myself up for disappointment again, after Hannibal.
That's just the angle i'm coming from.

DiscoJer

Aren't most the shows in a similar, but somewhat different universe?

You have TOS which had a lot of odd stuff, like parallel Earths, that were perhaps more suited for The Twilight Zone
The animated series has a lot of weird stuff that TOS didn't have, partly being animated which allowed weird aliens, but partly just for the hell of it, like Kzin

You then have the movies, which changed Klingons a lot, adding the bumps and making them fly Romulan ships (warbirds with cloaking devices) rather than the D7 cruisers.

TNG ignored a lot of the weird stuff from TOS (parallel Earths, androids) and followed the movies regarding the Klingons.

Deep Space Nine and Voyager were set in the same universe as TNG, but that's because the shows overlapped.

Then Enterprise happened and I could never really figure it out. It was set in the history of the universe, but didn't jib with a lot of things from the other series. Or so I thought (maybe I'm wrong, didn't watch it much)

So anyway, I imagine this will be its own take on the Star Trek universe. Mostly familiar, but somewhat different.

JimiNutz

Banned
Is the new show going to be in the same universe as the new films?
Could just do it about another Federation ship in the same film universe?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Angela Bassett needs to jump off American Horror Story and get involved with this. If she is too busy, holler at Gina Torres.

I wonder which of his projects is taking precedent? I gotta imagine that the Amazing Stories Reboot isn't too much of a concern since it's an anthology series. But he is showrunner for this and American Gods. More power to him, I'm sure he'll make it work. He has been thinking about this for years, so he'll hit the ground running.

I wonder how committed CBS is to this being strictly on their streaming service. Will they buckle and air it beyond the pilot on their network if people can't follow it to their service? I wonder if the priority is to make Star Trek a viable TV franchise again, or this is more about getting their service more attention?

Angela Bassett needs to jump off American Horror Story and get involved with this. If she is too busy, holler at Gina Torres.

I wonder which of his projects is taking precedent? I gotta imagine that the Amazing Stories Reboot isn't too much of a concern since it's an anthology series. But he is showrunner for this and American Gods. More power to him, I'm sure he'll make it work. He has been thinking about this for years, so he'll hit the ground running.

I wonder how committed CBS is to this being strictly on their streaming service. Will they buckle and air it beyond the pilot on their network if people can't follow it to their service? I wonder if the priority is to make Star Trek a viable TV franchise again, or this is more about getting their service more attention?

Perhaps they will gauge overseas interest, since that will be the easiest way to determine viability and profitability for broadcasting a Trek show on traditional TV. If rumours are to be believed international interest in the show is high and already making CBS a pretty penny through licencing deals.

butalala

Aren't most the shows in a similar, but somewhat different universe?

You have TOS which had a lot of odd stuff, like parallel Earths, that were perhaps more suited for The Twilight Zone
The animated series has a lot of weird stuff that TOS didn't have, partly being animated which allowed weird aliens, but partly just for the hell of it, like Kzin

You then have the movies, which changed Klingons a lot, adding the bumps and making them fly Romulan ships (warbirds with cloaking devices) rather than the D7 cruisers.

TNG ignored a lot of the weird stuff from TOS (parallel Earths, androids) and followed the movies regarding the Klingons.

Deep Space Nine and Voyager were set in the same universe as TNG, but that's because the shows overlapped.

Then Enterprise happened and I could never really figure it out. It was set in the history of the universe, but didn't jib with a lot of things from the other series. Or so I thought (maybe I'm wrong, didn't watch it much)

So anyway, I imagine this will be its own take on the Star Trek universe. Mostly familiar, but somewhat different.

Nah, they are all explicitly the same universe. The Animated Series is the only iffy one.

If you mean the mirror universe where Spock has a goatee when you say "parallel Earths," that concept came back on DS9 and Enterprise.

The weird stuff from The Animated Series is probably the strongest case for that stuff being non-canon, but I do remember that some details from an episode about Spock were carried over into the following canon. Also, the lion aliens were set to appear in Enterprise Season 5.

The Klingon forehead problem was originally thought to be a make up budget thing. Kang and Kodos, a pair of flat-headed Klingons from TOS, even make a number of appearances in DS9 as bumpy-headed Klingons. Then, when DS9 goes back in time to TOS, you have Worf and flat-headed Klingons in the room together, but they brush it off with a joke, "We don't talk about it." The subject is explicitly addressed in Enterprise, where a reason other than make-up budgets is finally given.

I'm not sure what you mean about TOS movie klingons using warbirds, unless you mean the Bird of Prey. That design was originally intended to be a Romulan ship stolen the klingon in Search for Spock, but that part was cut. The ship then became a klingon staple in following media, with similar designs appearing in Enterprise and the reboot universe. Despite its intended Romulan origins, I think we have to say that the Bird of Prey design is one that is Klingon by tradition for hundreds of years. The use of the cloaking device is explained by the Klingon-Romulan alliance seen in TOS, where Romulans actually use a D7 warship.

I'd say that TNG, DS9 and VOY make about as many references to TOS stuff as they ignore. Spock, Spock's Dad, McCoy, and Scott all appear on TNG. Sulu appears on Voyager. DS9 has the mirror universe, those Klingons, and they go back in time to appear Forest Gump-style in The Trouble with Tribbles. There are a lot more minor references scattered around, like cast members casually referring to some book that McCoy wrote, etc. I think the EMH supposedly used "personality traits" from McCoy.

The early seasons of Enterprise are strange from a continuity standpoint. There are aliens that never appear anywhere else in previous shows that are set later in the continuity, like Phlox. The crew also met a number of aliens that they shouldn't have met, like the Ferengi and the Borg. I guess you could just say that the universe is a big place, so previously unseen aliens were out there during TOS-VOY, but I think that poor writing is a better explanation. The 4th season and the planned 5th seasons made more explicit connections to TOS and other following series and was hugely improved for it.

So, there are actually a lot of connections between the various ST series. The question is whether or not the new series should follow in these footsteps or do something else. Personally, I'd like to see them do something like Doctor Who, where the new series initially had an ambiguous connection to the original series and then gradually introduced continuity stuff as it went on.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Perhaps they will gauge overseas interest, since that will be the easiest way to determine viability and profitability for broadcasting a Trek show on traditional TV. If rumours are to be believed international interest in the show is high and already making CBS a pretty penny through licencing deals.

True, which would be fitting since that's what kept Hannibal alive. Star Trek just seems like one of those properties where you aren't going to cancel it quickly. It'll sell somewhere and you'll work out the direction of the show if it isn't working for the audience.

True, which would be fitting since that's what kept Hannibal alive. Star Trek just seems like one of those properties where you aren't going to cancel it quickly. It'll sell somewhere and you'll work out the direction of the show if it isn't working for the audience.

It's not unheard of, especially in sci-fi. The first season of the rebooted BSG was partly financed by Sky in the UK anf Stargate also did amazingly well, ratings wise, in the UK compared to the US. However, unlike BSG, I really don't think CBS want to release their stranglehold on Trek given that they are already leasing it out to Paramount.

If you mean the mirror universe where Spock has a goatee when you say "parallel Earths," that concept came back on DS9 and Enterprise.

I expect he's referring to the episodes where it's Earth but with Romans/Nazis/Gangsters or whatever. These were obviously done for budget reasons, since they already had costumes and sets from other shows.

butalala

I expect he's referring to the episodes where it's Earth but with Romans/Nazis/Gangsters or whatever. These were obviously done for budget reasons, since they already had costumes and sets from other shows.

Yeah, could be. Those are strange. The explanations for them are all over the place. The gangster planet episode is one of my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom