• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BT (British Telecom) + Nintendo to partner in UK for hotspots?

Courtesy of they who shan't be named but ya never know:

shhhhpong said:
Soon you’ll be able to take your Nintendo DS online. We’ll all have little web browsers, online gaming, messaging, free VOIP calls and much, much more.

“It is our goal that all consumers who purchase a Wi-Fi enabled game will try Wi-Fi connection at least once,” stated Nintendo president Satoru Iwata at last week's Tokyo Game Show.

The main problem Nintendo faces is access to wireless points for gamers to use. ***** can reveal that Nintendo is in talks with BT in the UK and is likely to announce a substantial deal in the coming weeks and expected to offer Wi-Fi points in various city locations. Stores will also be a focal point, with Nintendo deploying kiosks that will enable DS downloadable content and wireless gaming.

More interesting is the Nintendo DS USB Access Point, the somewhat mysterious adapter going on sale in the next few months; probably alongside Mario Kart DS, the first online DS title, on November 11. Several retailers have started taking pre-orders for the first-party peripheral, which we believe is a router augmentation to enable online DS shenanigans at a cost of £19.99

The device they mention in the latter part is up on Play.com... could be a great/cheap way to get online without having to get a router, but your PC would have to be turned on whenever you wanted to play online I imagine :\

Hopefully if this BT stuff rings true, they get a point set up in Liverpool

\(^_^)/

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Not only is this old (I've always wanted to be the first to get in with that), I also don't think (from what I know) it's BT that Nintendo is talking with.

Danj

radioheadrule83 said:
Hopefully if this BT stuff rings true, they get a point set up in Liverpool

BT already has a network of Wifi hotspots set up, it's called BT OpenZone. Their website lists a whole bunch of hotspots in Liverpool. They're not free though, so I can only assume that this deal Nintendo are trying to make with them will allow DS users to make use of them at a discount or something.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Soon you’ll be able to take your Nintendo DS online. We’ll all have little web browsers, online gaming, messaging, free VOIP calls and much, much more.

Not only is this Article Old but they are Mixing Fake News in with it. Come on I know its a Slow Day but please. I've seen this article on many sites without that Quote on it.

Shiggy

Maybe Spong is right, but even then this deal wouldn't be helpful for people who live outside of Great Britain.

There are deals in the pipeline with various Broadband providers as you would expect - ***** as usual have jumped the gun and got all the facts muddled up before there's an official announcement. One rule of thumb - never believe a word ***** say, they base their reports on speculation and heresay, and their emotionally-affected and irrational reporting can be incredibly misleading.

Rant over :)

Top Bottom