• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie and MS breakup, says GI; custody of manbabies yet to be decided

Firestorm

popcorn.gif

Aquanox

Who wants to be part of a Corporation that spends $25 million in bonuses for your team when you finish a project anyway?

Wait, reading that again, is that really trying to say Bungie ISN'T happy with the way microsoft markets their games?

How many studios would kill for the marketing Halo 3 got?

watership

Laguna X said:
:lol There's no way in hell that this is true.

I have saved links from June 2000 where people go.. "I think Microsoft is going to buy Bungie" and most of the responses are "lol There's no way in hell that this is true."

GhaleonEB

Suburban Cowboy said:
would be a huge development. Marathon '08 for the Wii?!

Id like to point out tho that Microsoft basically made Bungie what it is today. MS didnt just promote the game, they promoted the developer. Halo would have been no bigger than any other FPS (say, Farcry) if it had been multiplatform or led for the PC. Hell, we probably wouldnt even have a Halo 3.

VERY interesting if this turns out to be true tho
I'd just like to point out that it was Halo that made the Xbox for MS, not the other way around. Yes, MS hyped it, but 90% of Halo's sales came after launch, on word of mouth and from off-the-charts reviews. Halo 2 had a big debut, but it also had strong legs and is still played like hell (or rather, was until last week). Halo 3 was marketed to all hell, but if it wasn't coming on the heels of two such beloved games, it would not have done what it did, or is going to continue to do so for the next few years.

Quality > hype. And it's all Bungie.

Gigglepoo

First they let Ninja Theory (Just Add Monsters) go and now Bungie? One of those MS could withstand, but not both. They are screwed now. 1 console future boys.

(The NDA isn't up yet, but a meteor hit Sony last Thursday.)

Even if for a moment, LET'S ASSUME THIS IS TRUE, this would be biggest, impossible to beat gigaton in the gaming industry.

:lol :lol

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
"Apparently MS just wants Bungie to make Halo for the rest of their natural days, and Bungie doesn't like how MS is constantly trying to "handle" everything they do; the way they market their games, the way they interact with their fans (basically the fact that they do appreciate their fans), and how stingie they are with the profits (comparable to the rest of the industry). So as of today they are their own independent entity. They'll probably make Halo 4 for Microsoft, however hey are also free to create new intellectual properties for whatever system they want. (Even though they prefer the xbox platform)"

This part....sounds so familiar.

oh yeah, VANGUARD!!

Haunted

Rindain said:
I'm serious. If this news is true, of course.
Look at the third post in this thread. ;)

MirageDwarf said:
Even if for a moment, LET'S ASSUME THIS IS TRUE, this would be biggest, impossible to beat gigaton in the gaming industry.
no, it wouldn't. It's just Bungie.

ElRenoRaven

ROFLMAO

Somehow I seriously doubt this. Might be kinda cool though. I will be honest. I have feared that MS would turn Bungie into the Halo Manufacturing company. Nothing but Halo all the time.

I want Bungie to make other games. I want them to not just be Halo Halo Halo.

squicken

GhaleonEB said:
I'd just like to point out that it was Halo that made the Xbox for MS, not the other way around. Yes, MS hyped it, but 90% of Halo's sales came after launch, on word of mouth and from off-the-charts reviews. Halo 2 had a big debut, but it also had strong legs and is still played like hell (or rather, was until last week). Halo 3 was marketed to all hell, but if it wasn't coming on the heels of two such beloved games, it would not have done what it did, or is going to continue to do so for the next few years.

Quality > hype. And it's all Bungie.

QFT. There would be no XBOX 360 w/o Bungie.

Of course, if this is true, at least lots of people who previously hated Halo will now actually play it and may discover that they really liked it all along.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
People seem to forget the Peter Jackson project. If anything, the existence of this thread shows the wish of other console owners to have Bungie developing software for their consoles.

isn't bungie completely 100% owned by MS, meaning this isn't like the bizzare situation where they are contracted partners or even the Rare thing where nintendo just owned a stake. What sense would it make for ms to sell the company behind the biggest game franchise around? If a few employees are disgruntled they and go start up a new studio

RavenFox

Banned
I guess they didn't know what they were getting into at first. Money makes some folks jump first and look later.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
I can confirm this news
is going to create a very large and dramatic thread! But I have no idea if it is true or not

Top Bottom