• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie are upsetting the fan base with Destiny 2

You can see how many hours you played in destiny here:
https://www.wastedondestiny.com/

enter your PSN/xbl gamer tag and marvel at how many hours you sunk into the game, does NOT include time spent in social spaces or orbit either! I'm at 1200 hours or a bit over 7 weeks. It very much scratched that shoot'n'loot MMO-esque vibe I haven't had since world of warcraft, but while I will buy Destiny 2 I don't think another game is gonna scratch that itch until it does something completely new and different, they are all just games now you play for 40-100 hours and then sorta stop playing.

180 hours wow. More than I thought.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Essentially the choice to do it that way is to take you out of the fight, to make it a risk to do mid battle. Make it a d-pad press and it over trivialises heavy ammo and it's value in combat decisions.

Well that's just nonsense if they actually said that.

You still have to wait 5 minutes for a synth to be used again. Nothing is somehow trivialized if you can press a d-pad instead of going into a menu. It doesn't add to the "difficulty," it's just frustrating and a poor design decision.

When they talked about it recently I think they said the delay in the screen appearing is timed.

Okay, I refuse to believe they said this. There's absolutely no way it was a purposeful design decision to have the menu load slowly so that it takes you longer to pop a synth.

There's no way someone was that stupid.

enter your PSN/xbl gamer tag and marvel at how many hours you sunk into the game, does NOT include time spent in social spaces or orbit either! I'm at 1200 hours or a bit over 7 weeks. It very much scratched that shoot'n'loot MMO-esque vibe I haven't had since world of warcraft, but while I will buy Destiny 2 I don't think another game is gonna scratch that itch until it does something completely new and different, they are all just games now you play for 40-100 hours and then sorta stop playing.
I have over 2k hours. But I think even 40-100 Is more than you get from most games. I've got my money's worth from destiny than probably all other games I bought this gen combined

MaddenNFL64

Yea, but similar to Destiny, they had the mysterious Forerunners which they never expanded on and left a mystery, pretty much like The Darkness, lol. When 343 shed light on them, they lost all of their mystique and cool factor. I don't think Bungie really knew what the Forerunners were either.

LMAO this would be amazing if it came out to be true.

urge26

5q1EAol.jpg

Guessing I got my money's worth.

32 hours.

And I think 20 of those were just grinding to try and access the raid

Smh

You have seen 10 minutes of Anthem.

You need to chill. There's a lot that can happen between E3 2017 and launch of Anthem.

Actually, I've seen a bit more than that. I used to work at EA a couple years back. That's when I first saw Anthem footage. It had some stuff that wasn't necessarily in the E3 reveal that I won't comment on, as 2 years is plenty of time for plans to change and features to get cut, especially in the wake of Andromeda, but I've been exceedingly excited for this game ever since.

Don't tell me to chill! Anthem is just about the only upcoming game I'm actually willing to buy on launch day at full price (server issues notwithstanding). Other than Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st], of course.

urge26

Actually, I've seen a bit more than that. I used to work at EA a couple years back. That's when I first saw Anthem footage. It had some stuff that wasn't necessarily in the E3 reveal that I won't comment on, as 2 years is plenty of time for plans to change and features to get cut, especially in the wake of Andromeda, but I've been exceedingly excited for this game ever since.

Don't tell me to chill! Anthem is just about the only upcoming game I'm actually willing to buy on launch day at full price (server issues notwithstanding). Other than Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st], of course.

Lots of people were excited for the Division when it was first shown as well. Anthem looks great, but I'll wait to get more details on what's going on before I start getting excited.

No, little has been announced for the open world stuff so far. Bungie keeping their cards close to their chest this time, and I appreciate that. Want to find out all the secrets for myself.

Luke Smith has now talked about Flashpoints thought - weekly locations with special public events and treasure maps and such that give you Nightfal-tier rewards. Sounds good!

I guess I'd still like to see one example of it, just to get a glimpse of what they're trying to achieve. I know i'll probably get it regardless, but if it's cool stuff it'd get my hype back up again for D2.
Like I said I like what I'm hearing, but it always feel like with Destiny, hearing and seeing can be very different.
Maybe the Beta will show something small of this, can't remember what the Beta had before in D1, was it only PvP?

rgoulart

I guess I'd still like to see one example of it, just to get a glimpse of what they're trying to achieve. I know i'll probably get it regardless, but if it's cool stuff it'd get my hype back up again for D2.
Like I said I like what I'm hearing, but it always feel like with Destiny, hearing and seeing can be very different.
Maybe the Beta will show something small of this, can't remember what the Beta had before in D1, was it only PvP?

I remember playing the beginning of the game in D1 beta. There was story content, the first few missions I guess. And I could explore the cosmodrome. Never touched PvP so I don't know about that.

I remember playing the beginning of the game in D1 beta. There was story content, the first few missions I guess. And I could explore the cosmodrome. Never touched PvP so I don't know about that.

I can't expect them to make the Beta big. Probably the first mission we saw would be playable. PvP for sure, which I don't care about.

Dragun619

Man, that is massive disappointment especially with no Private Matches & No Rumble, like wtf? It's like they want to repeat Destiny year 1 again and just roll this shit out as new content. smh.

Can only hope we don't end up content starved again. Now, that would be annoying.

Lee

Yea, but similar to Destiny, they had the mysterious Forerunners which they never expanded on and left a mystery, pretty much like The Darkness, lol. When 343 shed light on them, they lost all of their mystique and cool factor. I don't think Bungie really knew what the Forerunners were either.

Nah, I'm sure Bungie had "Bornstellar-Makes-Eternal-Lasting" in mind from day one.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The grimoire is gone? Why not just put in the game like the mass effect codex?

Because that seems to be the Bungie logic.

"We love this thing but it really should be in the game. And some of the more important parts should be told through the story itself."

"Alright, so we're just going to scrap it completely!"

Maximus.

It hurts to see Bungie fuck up their first game outside of Halo so much. Destiny was so exciting at first, until I realized all its big flaws. I still have hope for Destiny 2 and just hope they really learned from all their mistakes from the first game.

gatti-man

That's really REALLY disappointing to me. To not know what the darkness is at launch of destiny 1 I can understand that. To not know what the fuck it is now and just abondon it? Pretty unforgivable. This certainly isn't what I was looking forward to. The Kabal are supposed to be running from the darkness too so wtf are they now? This is really disappointing and no emote wheel is a wtfbbq decision. Come on Bungie. I hate to say it but this is some lazy ass decision making here.

I hope that turns out to be true but I would still keep expectations in check with regards to exactly how much or what type of lore is revealed when that button gets pressed.

If it ends up being indepth stuff, then awesome. But I suspect it will probably be closer to the bits of "lore" we see in the description of weapons in D1.

Ernest

Banned
150 hours for me - bit more than I thought, but not by much.

And as far as the devs and their Destiny plans, they've always been about just spit-balling it, seeing what sticks, what doesn't and course-correcting from there. Seemed to work for them with the last game and all it's DLC, so they'll probably just do the same for D2.

507 hours with 29 deleted. Not bad. More hours of fun than any game not named black ops 2.

I hope to top that with destiny 2 since I won't have school this time around .

That's really REALLY disappointing to me. To not know what the darkness is at launch of destiny 1 I can understand that. To not know what the fuck it is now and just abondon it? Pretty unforgivable. This certainly isn't what I was looking forward to. The Kabal are supposed to be running from the darkness too so wtf are they now? This is really disappointing and no emote wheel is a wtfbbq decision. Come on Bungie. I hate to say it but this is some lazy ass decision making here.

In the Kotaku interview I listened to, it sounded like Luke was just being honest and admitted that in D1 the Darkness wasn't fleshed out enough, but he implied they reworked it and they actually have a real plan now.

Luke:
So, I think that at a point, just totally candidly? We had no idea what it was. Straight up. We had no clue.

Luke:
And so what we’re doing with Destiny 2 is, we are deliberately telling a story about the Light. And what it means to be chosen. And as such, we’re in the process of removing the term “Darkness” from the game.

Luke:
Because when we’re going to talk about Darkness next, we need to know what it is and have a plan for it. And we do.

renzolama

The exo stranger was on a Prometheus-esque mission to steal beard technology back from the darkness and return it to the allied guardians. Her quest failed, resulting in the death and destruction of the stranger, the darkness, and beards.

Done.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I mean, it's clear that D2 is really D1 at this point. D1 was extremely troubling to Bungie both on a narrative and gameplay design standpoint. Between running out of time to do everything they wanted and firing their key people leading the story which ultimately affected the gameplay, the game had to find some way to release and continue releasing DLC. Now with D2, they are rebooting with what is most likely new everything in terms for development so they aren't able to include everything that D1 currently has and toned down the multiplayer to a max of 4 teams probably because they don't have the power to develop the pvp around 6v6 and develop maps around that measure as well.

I mean... this is essentially a reset and they don't have time to have all the features that D1 has. They're also putting the axe on all the story stuff that Staten probably had planned out so they're starting from what is essentially scratch. I don't buy that they didn't know what the Darkness was. It's clear that they knew what they wanted it to be but they pretty much retconnned everything which is very unsurprising at this point.

Raven117

Gold Member
I mean, it's clear that D2 is really D1 at this point. D1 was extremely troubling to Bungie both on a narrative and gameplay design standpoint. Between running out of time to do everything they wanted and firing their key people leading the story which ultimately affected the gameplay, the game had to find some way to release and continue releasing DLC. Now with D2, they are rebooting with what is most likely new everything in terms for development so they aren't able to include everything that D1 currently has and toned down the multiplayer to a max of 4 teams probably because they don't have the power to develop the pvp around 6v6 and develop maps around that measure as well.

I mean... this is essentially a reset and they don't have time to have all the features that D1 has. They're also putting the axe on all the story stuff that Staten probably had planned out so they're starting from what is essentially scratch. I don't buy that they didn't know what the Darkness was. It's clear that they knew what they wanted it to be but they pretty much retconnned everything which is very unsurprising at this point.

I disagree with how Bungie views the gameplay of D1. In an article by that Jason dude from Kotaku, Bungie knew they were having trouble with the story, so they double downed on gameplay.

The game play on consoles is some of the best....it feels good to shoot a juice box out of a vex at hour one as it does at hour 100....Thats where Destiny truly excels and why people keep coming back. The whole "loot"/Skinner box thing would only hold people over so far if the game wasn't fun to play in the first place.

IaN_GAF

I'm not about to repeat the mistake I made buying Destiny 1 by now naively thinking they somehow are not going to disappoint me with Destiny 2.

I feel we've gone through this cycle multiple times at this point. A new Destiny thing is coming out, information comes out that angers the fanbase, haters use it to declare the death of the game/Bungie, and then we all buy the fucking thing anyway.

Raven117

Gold Member
I feel we've gone through this cycle multiple times at this point. A new Destiny thing is coming out, information comes out that angers the fanbase, haters use it to declare the death of the game/Bungie, and then we all buy the fucking thing anyway.

Right? Feels like home.

Magwik

Banned
I'm upset over the lack of hard SciFi going in. At least Destiny 1 pretended to. D2 seems very structurally similar to TTK.

kayos90

I disagree with how Bungie views the gameplay of D1. In an article by that Jason dude from Kotaku, Bungie knew they were having trouble with the story, so they double downed on gameplay.

The game play on consoles is some of the best....it feels good to shoot a juice box out of a vex at hour one as it does at hour 100....Thats where Destiny truly excels and why people keep coming back. The whole "loot"/Skinner box thing would only hold people over so far if the game wasn't fun to play in the first place.

I'm not talking about the shooting when I say gameplay...

I don't believe that joe staten had no plan for what the darkness was going to be. I don't believe that was it for the stranger. I am very disappointed.

Carn82

D2 beta will be the stuff we already saw at the reveal / E3, plus 'some extra stuff'

kayos90

I don't believe that joe staten had no plan for what the darkness was going to be. I don't believe that was it for the stranger. I am very disappointed.

Pretty much this. It's clear that they're trying to get rid of a lot of the source material and make their own from now on. Whatever was Staten's vision is now dead with D1 essentially. Or whatever was left in there in the first place.

EDIT: It makes me sad that a lot of the mystery and vagueness and wonder that was sort of there in the first game is just gone. Now we're just pretty much Marvel and defeating whatever "big bad" flavor of the year is. Blegh.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't believe they have a grand story plan even now.

It's so laughable now hearing them going on about wanting this to be Star Wars pre-Destiny 1.

Top Bottom