• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie are upsetting the fan base with Destiny 2

My hype for this game deflated so fast...that reveal was really underwhelming for me and then finding out subclass perks have to be chosen in clusters instead of individually like in the first game was another blow. Patrol fireteams are still only 3 players. Only 4v4 pvp. Grimoire totally removed. Sigh.....this game is shaping up to be everything I didn't want in a sequel.

I forgot about those PvP changes.

Really not digging that at all tbh.

Messiek

How about everyone gets it at the same time? I played on PS4 too but this is really shitty.

As someone who owns all platforms the game is releasing on, I feel like I'm being manipulated into choosing a technically inferior platform (PS4 over PC), just so I don't get locked out of this content. That doesn't "feel good", at all.

except you don't really get it because you can't play it in any weekly activity until xbox gets it too.

It's additional content and not mandatory. I just feel like if Xbox players got dlcs before ps4 users once, ps4 players deserve the same thing now.

Upsetting fan base or is the OP fanning the flames for no reason? I go with the latter

OP here

The fan base is pretty pissed off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sInZRdAh1RY
https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/6hbh58/luke_smith_truly_feels_they_wrapped_up_the_exo/
https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/228133458?sort=0&page=0
https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/228125979?sort=0&page=0

I mean I'm not making this up it a vocal part of the more hardcore that feel slighted here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Moving from the previous page because I find this hard to believe:

No emote wheel (requested since emotes started getting sold)

Does that interview confirm you can only equip ONE emote? Still?

I don't even need a wheel but you should be able to equip a different emote to each d-pad button (and perhaps an ammo synth as well).

Luke Smith said in a podcast after The Taken King came out that they were working on a solution. It never came so fans assumed it would be in Destiny 2.

Van Bur3n

Wait, are you guys surprised? Are you in shock? Flabbergasted? At the very thought of the story of vanilla Destiny not having any explanation as to what was happening whatsoever and Bungie was just tossing shit together to release the game? Have you finally entered reality? Oh, you poor things.

I'm going to lay this down on you guys, Destiny's vanilla story, and everything apart of it, was hot garbage. Garbage that was not thought through and was just tossed together. Nothing was explained because there was nothing to explain. I know this because that's exactly the vibe the story gives off when playing. And in between all of this garbage that has no explanation behind it is bad writing throughout.

So, why do we care about any of it? It's all part of what was Destiny when it was a shitty game. I'm all for dumping out the shitty things of the past and forgetting it ever existed. Now, me personally, I don't give a flying fuck about the story and lore of Destiny, because the first Destiny gave me no reason to give a fuck about it. Which is why I'm ever so curious as to why others care about the likes of this Darkness of the Exo Stranger and especially surprised people are in shock that Bungie had no game plan for either of them.

That all said, Luke Smith can still eat my ass.

Moving from the previous page because I find this hard to believe:

Does that interview confirm you can only equip ONE emote? Still?

I don't even need a wheel but you should be able to equip a different emote to each d-pad button (and perhaps an ammo synth as well).

Luke Smith said in a podcast after The Taken King came out that they were working on a solution. It never came so fans assumed it would be in Destiny 2.

PC version apparently lets you equip different emotes to 4 keys so I assume console will (not confirmed) but 100% no Wheel. Ammo synths are not going to be hot keyed ever I don't think.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Okay, as long as you can equip 4 different emotes, that's fine. I don't personally need a wheel for more than that.

But we should be able to use one of them for a synth at least. Maybe if the loading is better in Destiny 2 it won't be as much of an issue but there's nothing worse than going to the menu to use a synth and having it take forever to load while you're in a battle.

No beards is pretty stupid though. If the character creator looks exactly like it did in Destiny 1, that's going to be a little embarrassing.

Okay, as long as you can equip 4 different emotes, that's fine. I don't personally need a wheel for more than that.

But we should be able to use one of them for a synth at least. Maybe if the loading is better in Destiny 2 it won't be as much of an issue but there's nothing worse than going to the menu to use a synth and having it take forever to load while you're in a battle.

I've always gotten the impression that putting synths into the game menu and not on a shortcut was a purposeful design decision so there is a risk to using it in the middle of a fight.

Nydius

Gold Member
The thing that really pisses me off (and maybe I just misunderstood) is that all PVP modes will be 4v4.

I never liked 4v4 battles in their past games. My favorite PVP modes in Destiny and in older Halo games were those with a ton of players, vehicles, etc.

I'm not even a big PVP player in the original Destiny and this is one of the things leaving me nonplussed about the game going forward. Sequels should expand the game but everything I've heard them announce seems to indicate that they're shrinking it. I'm not saying D2 should launch with as much content as D1 has now at its end (because that would be unrealistic) but omitting entire PVP modes and reducing the players down to a paltry 4v4 when the current engine is capable of 6v6?

I mean, c'mon. We're well beyond the 5v5 Halo 2 era. If they want 4v4, sure, add it. But don't just get rid of 6v6 outright. And with this supposedly big focus on in-game clan functions, not adding a large scale PVP mode that can be used for clan v. clan combat feels like such a damn oversight.

Speaking of clans, I'm also a bit concerned about the clan rewards thing. When WoW added guild rewards - a similar concept - it turned guilds into a complete shitshow. People were joining clans for rewards more than the social or shared goal aspects. It got bad enough that Blizzard ended up gutting the entire guild leveling system and made the most popular rewards standard for ALL guilds. Depending on how Bungie implements it, I could see the clan rewards turning into a mess.

Lasty95

Same here. This OP is a bit of an overreaction.

MtZ9N.gif

I enjoyed Destiny for what it was. Destiny 2 looks like more of the same and could, in some ways, end up less. At this point, I'm not really interested. I'll still keep tabs on it, but I'm not purchasing a big expansion plan for full price.

I want a good story. I'll be waiting to hear if it gets good after release.

Can't wait for D2. I have a feeling most of the fan base for the game would think the OP is a bit over the top and ridiculous. But whatever - entitled to his opinion.

It's going to be great to see the new stuff they cooked up, discovering new weapons and stuff, learning new play styles with the new abilities and supers. Lots and lots to look forward to.

*waves at discord peeps*

I've always gotten the impression that putting synths into the game menu and not on a shortcut was a purposeful design decision so there is a risk to using it in the middle of a fight.

Assuming this was intentional, and I really don't think it was, having to wait sometimes up to twenty seconds for the menus to load as you scream at the game while dying wasn't fun.

Navigating the menus to use a synth in the middle of a firefight is obnoxious and risky for the wrong reasons.

SilentRob

While we are on the subject of the Grimoire. It's Gone. Some of the most unique and interesting sci fi lore created in years and certainly some of the most unique and interesting in gaming is just being completely abandoned. Now I fully understand the Grimoire was not without issue. It was difficult for people to access and some of it was crucial to understanding events. However for those who did access it it was nearly universally enjoyed. Book of Sorrows being a highlight.

giphy.gif

Stuff like this is among the worst, most pretentious, empty stuff I've read in quite some time. It's about the same level of writing i achieved when I tried writing deep short stories during my emo phase when I was 15.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

As a long time Destiny player, I can say that the Destiny community can and will bitch about everything. I don't think anything listed in the OP is that big a deal, but, when the community is as big as Destiny's community, there will always be someone upset with something.

ZeoVGM

Banned

I don't think so. I think it was just because they didn't think it over enough.

ZeoVGM

Banned
As for the Grimoire being gone, it's good that they're not going to hide important lore in Bungie.net anymore.

However, I was still hoping that a Grimoire score would still exist. That was a fun addition to the game, watching that build up over the years and having it track the weapons you used, enemies you killed, etc.

It was also a good way to see if someone was a new player or an old player who made a new character.

I hope there's a replacement for that aspect of it at least. It kind of sucks that Bungie's response to lore being hidden in the Grimoire wasn't to see how they could fix/improve it but to just say, "Fuck it," and drop it completely.

Aselith

"I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain"[/URL] She was perhaps one of the most narratively interesting characters of the first game and an actual mystery that didn't really have an explanation in the Grimoire. She's gone, Story is wrapped up by her giving you a mediocre gun.

Sounds like Destiny in a nutshell tbh. Appropriate ending.

I love the PS4 exclusive content. I played COD for years during the PS3 era and I always waited a month to get the DLC. Now that I have it first, feels good.

That is ridiculously petty. Ha ha, I'm still surprised sometimes how openly shitty corporate cheerleaders can be.

It's additional content and not mandatory. I just feel like if Xbox players got dlcs before ps4 users once, ps4 players deserve the same thing now.

What about the PC players who have received no "early" or exclusive content? You probably have some other reason denying content to those players makes you feel good.

If Destiny 2 has a story that you can follow from start to end, it's already 1000x better than D1.
My biggest expectations come from the improved Patrols. I think they mentioned a few things that sound good, but man I'm getting nervous that it won't be that good in execution. I was hoping to see a bunch of stuff about the open world/patrol stuff, but I didn't hear anything. Did i miss it? I'd love to have a bigger group (if possible) go around and do actual fun stuff on the maps (that's not locked to a mission or strike).

giphy.gif

Stuff like this is among the worst, most pretentious, empty stuff I've read in quite some time. It's about the same level of writing i achieved when I tried writing deep short stories during my emo phase when I was 15.

Uh, while I doubt I will miss the disconnected and often meaningless to the overarching plot stories of the grimoire, I am having trouble finding anything particularly egregious in the writing. This coming from someone's whose sole job at one point was to mock poor writing in films. At the very least, the grimoire cards are miles ahead of the actual dialogue in Destiny.

Gator86

I don't think so. I think it was just because they didn't think it over enough.

A valid explanation of literally anything in Destiny honestly.

It would be great if they added an emote wheel and mapped the other buttons to ammo synths or waypoint/enemy marking or literally anything else useful. But, nah.

Van Bur3n

Sounds like Destiny in a nutshell tbh. Appropriate ending.

Damn right.

"Most narratively interesting character", the fuck? My Luke Smith eating ass. The character did absolutely nothing from a narrative standpoint to be considered interesting. You would have to be high or dropping your standards quite low to call that "narratively interesting". Bungie delivered us shit with vanilla Destiny, and said shit gets a shit end to it. Moving on. As said in the post I quote, appropriately done.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I love the PS4 exclusive content. I played COD for years during the PS3 era and I always waited a month to get the DLC. Now that I have it first, feels good.

Wow. So first off, both practices are bad. Secondly, do you really, really think waiting ONE WHOLE MONTH is nearly as bad as waiting ONE TO TWO YEARS?

The CoD exclusivity was inconvenient, the Destiny exclusivity is basically permanent without Bungie having the guts to call it permanent.

I don't get people who support exclusive content money grabs or who support Sony's stubborness with crossplay. It's incredibly shortsighted, as Sony will eventually be on the negative end of both of those some day should the bad practices continue (Sony is already getting the worst version of Minecraft because of it).

JackHerer

How about we just stop this shitty practice, period. I can't imagine anyone who isn't a console warrior defending this.

We should also note that the dude discusses a map (a MAP!) as a major addition to the series, and admits that D2 is merely iterative.

There's just so little ambition in this sequel.
All of Bungie's games have been iterative. You can draw direct lines between Halo CE, 2, 3, and Reach. They've only given us a glimpse of this game, I don't know how you can honestly or intelligently make such an indictment.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
If you had asked me 2 years ago... even 1 year ago... if I would be entirely "Meh" on Destiny 2 I may have laughed at you.

I'm laughing now as well but... for totally different reasons.

Why are ps4 destiny players complaining about exclusive content ? 🤣

The main thing is they won't let the exclusive content (strike and map) be used for end game content (nf, trials) since they want it to be the same for all platforms (for some reason). Xur has sold exclusives before but it's pretty rare.

How about still no loadouts in game so we still have to use our phone or go back to the tower to change our weapons and armor.

Not to mention we don't know about vault space.

I don't think the decisions, outside of story are that baffling when you consider they are copy pasting and this really is essentially just a big expansion. The more I hear about this the less excited I am for it. Just all the wounds from Destiny 1's bullshit choices and workarounds that always skirted the potential of the game are reopening as we continue to get details.

Lasty95

If Destiny 2 has a story that you can follow from start to end, it's already 1000x better than D1.
My biggest expectations come from the improved Patrols. I think they mentioned a few things that sound good, but man I'm getting nervous that it won't be that good in execution. I was hoping to see a bunch of stuff about the open world/patrol stuff, but I didn't hear anything. Did i miss it? I'd love to have a bigger group (if possible) go around and do actual fun stuff on the maps (that's not locked to a mission or strike).

No, little has been announced for the open world stuff so far. Bungie keeping their cards close to their chest this time, and I appreciate that. Want to find out all the secrets for myself.

Luke Smith has now talked about Flashpoints thought - weekly locations with special public events and treasure maps and such that give you Nightfal-tier rewards. Sounds good!

Why are ps4 destiny players complaining about exclusive content ? 🤣

Because though I may own a PS4, I hate exclusivity that diminishes the experience of others, I want players to have that content regardless of their platform because I care about people other than myself?

Gorey

I'm also part of the 'fan base' and none of these things really bother me all that much. I run in a small clan, and every one of us is looking forward to September.

Of all the complaints kicked around to date, lack of dedicated servers, 4x4 pvp, and the grimoire cut are my biggest disappointments. The server issue being more important, obviously, but I am cautiously optimistic that Bungie's hosting changes will improve things. Still, it's a downer. None of the players I know are passing on the game due to these issues. Hype level remains high. Bring on the beta!

NO BEARDS?!

BURN IT ALL DOWN.

I'm games where you can customize your character's appearance, I always try to make my very first character have my likeness. That includes having a nice, full and well-groomed brown beard.

When beards aren't even an option, I'm usually forced to shave completely just to match my character. It's really annoying.

GhaleonEB

I listened to the entire interview the Luke Smith excerpt was taken from and had the exact opposite reaction as the OP. It was a remarkably refreshing, candid interview that was decidedly free of BS. Admitting the state of the lore in Destiny - which was apparent for all to see - and laying out the plan to re-establish it and build toward a conclusion is exactly what I want this series to do. So I was really happy to hear that.

Really, if Bungie being candid about their failings in D1 and their plans for D2 is what constitutes "upsetting the fan base" then we're either deep into hyperbole territory, or dealing with people with no perspective. Or both.

The rest of the list are a mix of intentional design decisions that come with sequels and statements that certain things will not be there at launch - implying they'll come later. A huge swath of Destiny's features came after ship, and it's not really reasonable to expect feature parity at launch for Destiny 2. Partly because it's a different game, and partly because they gotta ship the thing. Adding private matches after release is not a biggie.

D2 is in this space where when Bungie makes changes they get people upset, but it's simultaneously not different enough to be a full sequel, for some. Just imagine if they upended the core gameplay.

The only change I'm actually upset about so far is limiting PvP to 4v4 modes. I played almost entirely BTB in Halo, and 6v6 modes in Destiny, so it's a major turn-off for me. But then I play relatively little Crucible and also understand why (design focus). Meanwhile the suite of new activities in the open spaces sounds freaking great, so I'll take the trade off.

The Desitny boss design is one of the most puzzling design choices I've seen.

Vex have big harpies, big minotaurs and big hydras
Cabal have bigger Cabal
Fallen have big vandals and big servitors
Hive have big knights and big ogres

And in the first game, they pretty much did the exact same attack that the normal sized version did. Bare minimum, they ought to have different behaviors, but it'd be nice if they weren't just upscaled versions for a change.

Yea, that's it in an a nutshell the diversity is near non existent, and it looks like they really haven't added or changed much.

Messiek

Replacing one shitty practice with another one going the opposite direction doesn't solve anything.

That is ridiculously petty. Ha ha, I'm still surprised sometimes how openly shitty corporate cheerleaders can be.

What about the PC players who have received no "early" or exclusive content? You probably have some other reason denying content to those players makes you feel good.

It's a shitty practice indeed. I'm not a sony cheerleader, just saying that it feels good to be on the other side of the deal for once.

The 1 year exclusivity thing is bs. I never said it shouldn't end. It's better if everyone plays the same game, that is the best scenario here.

My point being, I personally enjoy these beacuse once I was on the other side. (petty af, I know)

Top Bottom