• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie are upsetting the fan base with Destiny 2

I don't believe they have a grand story plan even now.

It's so laughable now hearing them going on about wanting this to be Star Wars pre-Destiny 1.

The crazy thing is the traveler and the speaker and the mythos and universe are all REALLY interesting but Bungie just mailed it in.

Kurumi

I feel we've gone through this cycle multiple times at this point. A new Destiny thing is coming out, information comes out that angers the fanbase, haters use it to declare the death of the game/Bungie, and then we all buy the fucking thing anyway.

This man speaks the truth

I mean it pretty obvious Destiny story was a load of crap quickly thrown together after all that shit that happened pretty release.

Hardly a loss.

daffy

Banned
I feel we've gone through this cycle multiple times at this point. A new Destiny thing is coming out, information comes out that angers the fanbase, haters use it to declare the death of the game/Bungie, and then we all buy the fucking thing anyway.
1) Trump
2) Brexit
3) Bungie amirite

Just waiting for the tape to drop in August of the director calling us suckers

Draft

I'll miss the Grimoire. As a late comer to Destiny, it filled up very quickly. I enjoyed reading a few entries on my iPad before bed each evening.

It's entirely possible they could tell a compelling story in which a more immediate threat than the Darkness takes center stage and thus they could aschew having to deal with what the Darkness actually is. People would still be upset, I'm sure, but while it's not a perfect analogue by any means in Game of Thrones there is a larger, looming threat that is still mostly a mystery yet most of the characters deal with other more pertinent and personal conflicts.

Ewww, I just compared Destiny to Game of Thrones. Time to see myself out.

Sabotage

Let us never forget

"So all of this is playable space, that we hope to one day get to send you to. This is all real geometry you could go there, we could go there right now..."

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
You know what. I actually believe they're going with this current plot premise to also get rid of the Traveler altogether lol.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Let us never forget

"So all of this is playable space, that we hope to one day get to send you to. This is all real geometry you could go there, we could go there right now..."
I actually believed them, who would even lie about something like that? Made no sense.

Can this be pinned on the gaming forum?

Destiny had ships that you could buy, but not actually fly. You'd only see them get flown during loading screen transitions.

I hope Anthem doesn't have anything that weak.

As for content, man, I'm mostly about the gameplay. It looks fun to fly around and shoot big monsters in a custom Iron Man suit.

Agreed. Gummy ship combat would still be indefinitely better than nothing.

Mauddib

Banned
Man, as much as I hate to say it, recent Bungie decisions make a good retroactive argument for Microsoft's heavy handed approach to the studio. They are clearly in the need for some publisher intervention.

Hubble

Never never understood the hype of Destiny. Destiny even with its future patches felt so grindy repetitive and no-content inspired game like a repetitive shell. Not to mention the horrible PVP.

Zackat

This has killed my hype. The cool grimoire stuff and the lore was a huge redeeming factor of the game for me. Why would they do this? It makes no sense.

Aaron Olive

The first Destiny wasn’t very good and from what Bungie have shown so far I’m not even going to bother with the second game.

im a huge destiny 1 fan, great gameplay, coop, raid, pvp and lore. If the second is the same or less than the first one ... why do i bother?

Nowise10

I have no issues with them explaining their thought process with the story of previous games. Getting angry at that means they just wont talk about that sort of stuff in the future, I'd believe. However, they are blantly not including so many things I remember reading being requested heavily back in 2014. And to remove gametypes and playlist and play it off as normal or even a good thing is completely ridiculous.

Been with destiny since the beta, put in over 1200 hours into the game. And I'm not surprised at all by any of this. Bungie really isn't a great developer any more. They have too many cooks in the kitchen. Their dev team is absolutely massive and they just can't get everyone one the same line of thought. Obviously some of this is conjecture, but the real point is that destiny 2 just looks like more of the same. And I've made peace with that. I've had a lot of fun in d1 even if it felt like an uphill battle with Bungie the whole time. D2 is going to be d1 all over again. Set your expectations to d1 vanilla and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised.

anothertech

They gotta save somthing for dlc in year one right?

I mean, D2 is going to be D1 but with a coherent story. They're dropping the D1 non story line because it was trash. That makes sense in my book. Wasn't hard to see this coming.

I jusr hope they bring some really new ideas to the table along the way. Very sad vehicles and ship battles aren't a thing :(

Sorry Ghal but I gotta disagree somewhat

I listened to the entire interview the Luke Smith excerpt was taken from and had the exact opposite reaction as the OP. It was a remarkably refreshing, candid interview that was decidedly free of BS. Admitting the state of the lore in Destiny - which was apparent for all to see - and laying out the plan to re-establish it and build toward a conclusion is exactly what I want this series to do. So I was really happy to hear that.

Sure being candid is great, and I do admire that.

Really, if Bungie being candid about their failings in D1 and their plans for D2 is what constitutes "upsetting the fan base" then we're either deep into hyperbole territory, or dealing with people with no perspective. Or both.

However being candid does not excuse their failings. Even up to TTK they mentioned and spoke of the Darkness, The brought back the strangers rifle. To act like those story threads can just be dropped is arrogant. It shows a disconnect with the fan base and a blatant disrespect for them. To dismiss valid complaints as hyperbole or "lacking perspective" seems unfair and reductive.

The rest of the list are a mix of intentional design decisions that come with sequels and statements that certain things will not be there at launch - implying they'll come later. A huge swath of Destiny's features came after ship, and it's not really reasonable to expect feature parity at launch for Destiny 2. Partly because it's a different game, and partly because they gotta ship the thing. Adding private matches after release is not a biggie.

I can somewhat agree but I feel you are being a bit too forgiving. Yes part of Destiny was iterative and it evolved a great deal but those evolution's didn't go above an beyond they delivered very basic features. Private Matches, Free for All, Ranking systems these should be standard. To excuse missing features in hope they will come later seems like a side effect of conditioning that's been happening with Destiny 1 and gaming as a whole with Day 1 or later patches.

Ultimately they are missing basic features and that should always be a problem. It was with D1 and the promise of them coming with D2 doesn't fill me with hope. A sequel is intended to expand. How long is it going to take for feature parity with D1? 3 years. How as a consumer do I know they wont get to D1 level of content and D3 will be shipping round the corner?

Supposedly D2 should have a more flexible engine for making changes and additions. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect feature parity to occur at a hastened pace compared to the first game.

I don't think Destiny needs a ranking system either, but basic PvP modes and private matches - something Bungie used to pioneer and one of Destiny's most requested features - should have been there at launch. Putting a giant 2 on the box and then shipping with less than the previous game is a hard sell any way you look at it. But I suppose an argument could be made that a giant leap forward requires a few steps back?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Supposedly D2 should have a more flexible engine for making changes and additions. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect feature parity to occur at a hastened pace compared to the first game.

I don't think Destiny needs a ranking system either, but basic PvP modes and private matches - something Bungie used to pioneer and one of Destiny's most requested features - should have been there at launch. Putting a giant 2 on the box and then shipping with less than the previous game is a hard sell any way you look at it. But I suppose an argument could be made that a giant leap forward requires a few steps back?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm hoping that this is the case.

Wait, is Destiny 2 going to be smaller than 1? Less modes, less content? How are there no new classes?

Happily sold 1 two days after release and am no fan, but this baffles me as a general video game fan.

The things that get me are:

1. No new enemy race (and many reused assets).

2. No new classes.

3. Extremely low number of new planets (4).

4. Only a small number of strikes.

5. Fewer modes overall than Destiny 1.

It's hard not to feel like this doesn't qualify as a true sequel. The above indicates a tendency towards low-effort cash grabbing.

Dynomutt

I don't think the Beta is going to be a Beta like the first. It will be more of a demo probably the homecoming demo everyone has been testing.

I didn't realise all of D2s content had been announced. I must have missed that press release. Bungie won't have released details of all content, and from what they've mentioned so far there is a lot of more of the same, but they've also introduced more activities in patrol space.

Completed all the uncharted games, and generation leap aside that provided graphical improvement my point stands. The general mechanics were the same with small changes and improvements in each iteration.

So adding a new campaign is a prerequisite for a sequel? Pretty sure that D2 has a new campaign / story mode which will probably be as long as most games released this year. Hell D1 "story" was longer than most COD campaigns. The upcoming uncharted expansion has a new campaign. Is that a sequel? It looks like more of the same but with different characters.

D2 was always going to look similar to D1. It's set in the same universe. Yet the locales are different, the hud has changed, character abilities have changed, odds are the UI has been overhauled as well. But again go back to the uncharted games, they had slight graphical changes over the years. But if you were shown screen shots from the games randomly most people would identify it as uncharted, they would struggle to identify which specific version it was from.

As for your point of U2 having multiplayer making it a sequel as well. It's not like multiplayer modes can't be patched in after release is it.

The only reason people are calling destiny out on the sequel / expansion thing is because of its MMO links. Yet if you apply the same points to any game series you can argue the same point.

I didn't realise all of D2s content had been announced. I must have missed that press release. Bungie won't have released details of all content, and from what they've mentioned so far there is a lot of more of the same, but they've also introduced more activities in patrol space.

i didn't say they showed it all. with 3 months to release, they showed what to expect content wise. it launches with the same amount of planets, same 1 raid in launch window, and SAME expansion pass coming with 2 expansion packs. it's all looking real familiar. Yes i could be wrong and there could be a mass of content, but I'm going to go with my gut here and say it launches very similar to destiny 1 content wise. even if they added new stuff for us to do in patrols.

Completed all the uncharted games, and generation leap aside that provided graphical improvement my point stands. The general mechanics were the same with small changes and improvements in each iteration.

this is true. but i wasn't asking them to change the general gameplay mechanics of destiny 2. we were hoping it would look and feel like a sequel. They're even keeping the same 3 classes (while making PVP 4on4 now, what a tease) and only adding one new subclass at launch. it just looks real uninspired

So adding a new campaign is a prerequisite for a sequel? Pretty sure that D2 has a new campaign / story mode which will probably be as long as most games released this year. Hell D1 "story" was longer than most COD campaigns. The upcoming uncharted expansion has a new campaign. Is that a sequel? It looks like more of the same but with different characters.

no it's not prereq for a sequel. but it's evident that it's a different game. and the uncharted expansion is clearly labeled that, an expansion. The Taken King could've been Destiny 2 if bungie really wanted to do that, they revamped most of the game systems and could've made it the sequel if they wanted. this in essence looks similar to that.

But if you were shown screen shots from the games randomly most people would identify it as uncharted, they would struggle to identify which specific version it was from.

really?
nathan-drake-uncharted-623x350.jpg

The only reason people are calling destiny out on the sequel / expansion thing is because of its MMO links. Yet if you apply the same points to any game series you can argue the same point.

is that a factor? possibly. but there are a lot of people (myself included) who spent that money on destiny 1 on the promise of content and felt slighted, and have no plans to repeat that same mistake until they prove otherwise.

Frostburn

I'm so upset that I preordered the game today ;)

Now I'm in peace with myself.

Haha yeah I feel like it would have been cool to get more info on the Exo Stranger and the Darkness (Which Luke hints at will be explained later at some point) but I'm not loosing sleep over it nor am I detracted from buying Destiny 2. I love the gameplay and the universe that they've created (Even with the lack of in game story telling which they got better at which each expansion). I put almost 1000 hours into Destiny and I'm sure I'll do the same with Destiny 2. I guess I'm at a point in my life where I have so much else going on and there are so many other games out there I want to play that I'm over getting worked up about games, even ones I love like Destiny.

Perineum

Upset? I'm nothing but hyped through the roof. Over 900 hours in D1, and I can't wait for D2.

Speak for yourself OP. In fact I would wager the more casual people who touched Destiny a bit, then bitched nonstop the game is shit even as it kept getting better and better, are the ones who are the pitchfork crew here with this stuff.

IDGAF since I have a dedicated raid team. With a clan system GAF will be set to play with each other for raids too easily.

border

Yeah, I always just presumed that The Darkness was just some kind of malevolent unseeable entity that shapes and guides the game's antagonists towards conflict. It was like an evil version of The Force.....or an evil version of The Light, for that matter.

I never expected The Darkness to take on corporeal form, or to emerge as yet another enemy faction. Perhaps a better way to look at it would be as The Nothing from Neverending Story. It's an evil force that's bent on destroying the known universe, but it corrupts and destroys slowly and silently, only occaisionally taking on creatures to herald its arrival.

ethomaz

Banned
Why are ps4 destiny players complaining about exclusive content ? 🤣
There are tons of reasons... most basic is that these exclusives content will never be sold by Xur because there are not in other platforms... exclusive strikes will never be Nightfall.

So these fucking exclusive deals affect our PS4 play.

Midas

There are tons of reasons... most basic is that these exclusives content will never be sold by Xur because there are not in other platforms... exclusive strikes will never be Nightfall.

So these fucking exclusive deals affect our PS4 play.

The best part is that it cant be sold by bloody Xûr. It sucks that all exotics are so easy to get. More rng!

border

I will be kind of disappointed if Bungie hasn't figured out a workaround for that. There's really no reason why exclusives can't be Xur items or Nightfall strikes.

Ryuuga

Banned
Its gonna do way better and with the introduction of PC, its going to be introduced to a WHOLE NEW fan base especially since its also on battle.net

Yeah, I'm curious how much growth it'll have in the PC space without dedicated servers.

Top Bottom