• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie are upsetting the fan base with Destiny 2

LukeSmith

Has anyone listened to the most recent Bungie podcast?

I think Luke confirmed some sort of duel wielding.

He said something about how he loves to use two side arms as his two primaries, but then qualified it with something like "obviously we can't talk about exactly why they're so much fun together".

kinetic and energy sidearms.

Battle.net is just the front end login.

Bungie is handiling eveyrthing else after you log in. Including anti-cheat

Blizzard is not involved beyond battle.net being the login portal.

That is a problematic. Hopefully B.Net will deter people for fear of losing their account

Has anyone listened to the most recent Bungie podcast?

I think Luke confirmed some sort of duel wielding.

He said something about how he loves to use two side arms as his two primaries, but then qualified it with something like "obviously we can't talk about exactly why they're so much fun together".

RIP the dream

Last%20Stand-%20Detail.jpg

They lost me a looong time ago.... After having to grind new max level gear and upgrade my old guns for their third time because they keep raising the damn cap with every expansion.

Quit during house of wolves. The fact they didn't have a raid and that the were yet again forcing me to upgrade all my gear made me realise what I was doing was pointless, that no matter how much effort I would put to reach max level and gear up properly, it was all for nothing since the minute the the next expansion would drop, it was going to render all my player progression meaningless instantly.

I actually felt a huge relief not to constantly have to log into the game to do my weekly grinds and raids on all three characters, which made me realise I wasn't really having fun in the first place. I gladly skilpped taken king and the last expansion too.. I mean, I figured "hey, why bother, it's all going to be rendered useless when Destiny 2 gets out".

When Destiny 2 was announced, I though for a second about going back. I was expecting a new game building up on Destiny 1's foundation, not a game that basically would destroy all existing player progression, dump all existing content in the garbage can and and start from scratch. The fact that all the gameplay vids I've seen look exactly like Destiny 1 doesn't help either... They threw everything away to rebuild the exact same thing and sell you the same experience again.

I'm just glad I move to warframe instead. Here I get to keep all my 33 maxed level frames, all my maxed guns, when there's new content added, it's added on top of the existing content, not replacing or deleting existing stuff. It's building and improving it's foundation, it's core gameplay without constantly throwing player progression down the crapper because "hey, new level cap means you must throw all your old stuff away" garbage. Wish more game devs would respect the time invested by their players into their game, and reward vets instead of constantly forcing them to re-earn ther vet status.

border

Quit during house of wolves. The fact they didn't have a raid and that the were yet again forcing me to upgrade all my gear made me realise what I was doing was pointless, that no matter how much effort I would put to reach max level and gear up properly, it was all for nothing since the minute the the next expansion would drop, it was going to render all my player progression meaningless instantly.

That is going to be every game of this type, where progression is extended through every new content drop.

It's smarter just to stop pushing when you're at 80-90% of max Light. I don't see the point in banging your head against Hard Mode raids on a weekly basis just to make your character a little more viable.385 Light feels not much different from 400 Light.

That is going to be every game of this type, where progression is extended through every new content drop.

It's smarter just to stop pushing when you're at 80-90% of max Light. I don't see the point in banging your head against Hard Mode raids on a weekly basis just to make your character a little more viable.385 Light feels not much different from 400 Light.

I haven't hit max light since House of Wolves and the only places it matters are Iron Banner and Trials...

Wait, those are the only things I came back to play. Welp.

RIP the dream

Last%20Stand-%20Detail.jpg

It's so cool how close this image looks to something like Warhammer 40k. Then I realize how shallow Destiny's story is, at least in a "tangible" way.

Destiny could be such a cool universe, but when you have the development team saying they are basically just making it up as they go along, throwing characters who are interesting aside and making baffling decisions regarding story to keep things "super chill" I have to face how shallow it is. At least the gunplay is good...

Z3M0G

It's important to read the interview in context. He also said this
Yup... conpletely negates my original comment. I should have read deeper. I really wish Destiny 2 had opened up with this, however. Not the Cabal, even though i was waiting for their turn as well.

grayfoxx881

Neo Member

I wouldn't go that far. I got all of my characters to 400 by doing other events, and playing pretty casually, too. Also, considering raids there is a huge difference between 385 and 400.

Hey luke, since your here, I have to ask. You mentioned before the theme of kings Fall was ascension. Does this play into Oryx being transgender? And is that why there were so many penises and balls in the raid?

GhaleonEB

Not sure what you're getting at. Destiny's lore is amazing. The Book of Sorrows is 40,000 words and beautifully written. The story of Jaren Ward & The Last Word is amazing. The grimoire is huge & weird & tremendous & the only reason I care about Destiny's universe. Destiny's lore has always been great.

I get that people wish it was in the game, but the last thing I want to do when I sit down on the couch is to read tiny text on a screen. The longform stories in the grimoire can't ever be in the game anyway.

That's what I think people are upset about losing. Destiny's in game story (after Vanilla) has been quite good (read: functional). It could be better yeah, but the grimoire is literally Bungie's best story work since Marathon.

So the lore is great (aside from the Darkness thing), bring more of it in, sure, but don't abandon the amazing work done so far.
To be more clear, when I wrote lore, I meant story as presented in the game. I don't delve into the grimoire, but the bits I've read and followed have been interesting. The universe Bungie has established with Destiny is pretty great and as usual they're packing the corners with remarkable detail. But the actual big picture story telling has been problematic. I was talking very specifically about what Luke discussed in that interview - how the Darkness was presented in the story of D1, and how they plan to handle it going forward.

broony

It's so cool how close this image looks to something like Warhammer 40k. Then I realize how shallow Destiny's story is, at least in a "tangible" way.

Destiny could be such a cool universe, but when you have the development team saying they are basically just making it up as they go along, throwing characters who are interesting aside and making baffling decisions regarding story to keep things "super chill" I have to face how shallow it is. At least the gunplay is good...

The development team are saying they are addressing this. They are saying they are closing off the vague stuff and replacing it with lore and story content they understand how to follow through with.

robo

Just keep the quest lines out of pvp.

Mode sucks donkey balls, lag, cheaters, un balanced teams.

Hated being dragged into pvp so my exotic weapond could progress a quest step.

Will see what the beta brings to keep my preorder or not.

Nydius

E: Since people are discussing lore, I think my biggest disappointment was how the faction wars got cut and never really panned out later on in development. I never felt like picking a faction meant anything. It was just a different vendor with different gear behind a loyalty lock. Meh. I was really hoping they would eventually flesh out some conflict between the factions.

I remember being stuck in the shitty days of vanilla Destiny's Forever 29 because I didn't want to make three Warlocks and run VoG one time each to increase my odds of getting full level 30 light gear. Going from 385 to 400 was probably the easiest it's been to reach max light level in the history of the game, even before they bumped up the drop rate of higher level ghosts and artifacts from Archon's Forge. Between the increased drop rates in Iron Banner, Skeleton Keys, and Three of Coins, I was 400 on both my main Warlock and alt Titan before I even went into heroic mode Wrath. Perhaps it was a bit TOO easy.

As for your second comment, 400 is quite different than 385, especially with the old raids bumped up to 390 and the bump in difficulty of Nightfall strikes. Maybe it's just because I've played too much but I can tell an immediate difference if I put on gear that drops me down to 390 rather than 400.

Except games with competent end games have multiple ways to progress at the end. Destiny has never had more than 1.5 if you count iron banner crap.

Cleve

People considered the Exo Stranger interesting? It was a poorly written contrivance, just like "the darkness" It's a good thing that Taken King seemed to right the ship with storytelling, because what was in the game at launch was bad, and reeked of being rushed.

I'm excited to see what they do going forward, but can't blame them for leaving the older stuff in the trash.

Except games with competent end games have multiple ways to progress at the end. Destiny has never had more than 1.5 if you count iron banner crap.
What?

You can reach Max light right now by:

Rank up packages
Raids
Iron banner
Trials
Challenge of elders
Nightfall
Archon forge
Skeleton keys
Vanguard elite bounties

And several other ways. If you just play, no matter what activity your in, you can progress to max light

border

Also, considering raids there is a huge difference between 385 and 400.

If Hard Mode is not a regular consideration for you, I've found that there's not a whole lot of point in pushing beyond that. Of course I left around the time of Rise of Iron, when there wasn't really much PVE content to do beyond Hard Mode if you were at Max Light.

I just never saw the allure of being 3-4 slots away from progressing, then going through a whole raid and having nothing in those slots drop for you at a higher level. If I'm going to get nothing I'd almost rather be at the more easygoing difficulty.

The development team are saying they are addressing this. They are saying they are closing off the vague stuff and replacing it with lore and story content they understand how to follow through with.

I'm not a fan of how they took the most interesting hooks of the story. Like who is the stranger, is there a greater conspiracy afoot? What don't we know? Is the traveler actually a good entity or is it a malignant force and we're being played etc.

Instead we got about as generic as possible, it seems like they're kind of keeping along with that generic Black and White dynamic. I hope not, but it seems like it is. Maybe that's just what players want, I don't know. But I never actually feel like I'm doing anything that matters in the game, even in context to the universe.

Lasty95

People considered the Exo Stranger interesting? It was a poorly written contrivance, just like "the darkness" It's a good thing that Taken King seemed to right the ship with storytelling, because what was in the game at launch was bad, and reeked of being rushed.

I'm excited to see what they do going forward, but can't blame them for leaving the older stuff in the trash.

Not particularly interested in the story tbh, but I'd like to see the whole Stranger thing retrofitted to make sense in the future. Maybe in the context of the arrival of The Darkness proper in Destiny 3 or 4.

More than story, I like context and world building. D1 did plenty with a nice broad goodies vs baddies set up and really cool enemy races to fight in emotive environments.

I'm happy to accept the story and "epic cinematic campaign " of the original release weren't up to snuff, but I still maintain that the quality of the actual encounters, along with those early Strikes and that 1st Raid, were the best that Destiny has been.

Gator86

Just keep the quest lines out of pvp.

Mode sucks donkey balls, lag, cheaters, un balanced teams.

Hated being dragged into pvp so my exotic weapond could progress a quest step.

Will see what the beta brings to keep my preorder or not.

+1 to this. Destiny PvP is straight up shit and I have no desire to suffer through any more of it. It sucks being locked out of content because I don't want to wade through Shotgun Spam - The Game. That was just an example and I know shotguns are heavies now, but the balance will be garbage either way because in 3 full years, Bungie has displayed zero ability to competently balance their game. Just let me grind through the hamster wheel of RNG without having to jump through PvP hoops.

daffy

Banned
I'm finding it slightly embarrassing that Luke Smith is taking notice of a thread. It's badly argued, ill-informed and in no way represents what I believe the majority think of the game so far.

It may well turn out that D2 is lacking in loads of ways, but nothing they've shown so far has has given me any reason to doubt that this will be the refined and polished game Destiny has always threatened to be.
You should honestly be ashamed if you think we're the problem here.

"Making it up as you go along" is literally exactly how writing works. Very rarely does any writer have a picture perfect view of exactly how a story will develop before they even start writing. At most, writers will have a general framework of where they want to start, where they want to end, and a few major plot points and themes they want to address.

In Destiny's specific situation, the lead writer that they started with is no longer with the company and hasn't been for a long time. Either he didn't have it all fleshed out before he left or what he did have, Bungie didn't like. So rather than handcuff new writers by forcing them to try to meld new ideas with old ones immediately, they're exploring and developing other areas (The Taken and Cabal) giving the new writer(s) time to develop a long term plan for the other areas, such as The Darkness.

This is nothing but a good thing as it creates an atmosphere where new writers can really work hard on development and expanding current lore rather than trying to rush out material that would likely end up resulting in continuity problems.

How interesting each person finds the Exo Stranger is going to vary person to person. But the Exo Stranger was not a character of paramount importance as they were implemented in D1 and so silently exiting stage right really isn't a huge disservice to fans or the story. They've done similar with Eris Morn actually. Hell they can even bring the Exo Stranger back at any point in the future just as they can Eris Morn.

The Darkness is being put on the backburner for a bit. Tha's all.

I'm not a fan of how they took the most interesting hooks of the story. Like who is the stranger, is there a greater conspiracy afoot? What don't we know? Is the traveler actually a good entity or is it a malignant force and we're being played etc.

Instead we got about as generic as possible, it seems like they're kind of keeping along with that generic Black and White dynamic. I hope not, but it seems like it is. Maybe that's just what players want, I don't know. But I never actually feel like I'm doing anything that matters in the game, even in context to the universe.

Outside of "Who is the Stranger?" the rest of this is never questions actually posed by the game. It's community fan theory questions that arose from people being exposed to tropes through media consumption.

WipedOut

+1 to this. Destiny PvP is straight up shit and I have no desire to suffer through any more of it. It sucks being locked out of content because I don't want to wade through Shotgun Spam - The Game. That was just an example and I know shotguns are heavies now, but the balance will be garbage either way because in 3 full years, Bungie has displayed zero ability to competently balance their game. Just let me grind through the hamster wheel of RNG without having to jump through PvP hoops.

1000% agree with this statement

daffy

Banned
Luke specifically said this is a point they are addressing in the interview this thread is commenting on. Check the link for the full interview in the OP.

Edit: Here:

http://kotaku.com/destiny-2-director-answers-our-questions-about-the-open-1796139202
Just now watching this lol. Really feels like this will be a sequel to The Taken King. Lacks the ambition of Destiny 1 but will likely be alot more even handed and enjoyable as a result

Will it be worth $60 though with all this post launch content is the real question

Carn82

Yeah I'm getting the idea that's story wise it's going to be a more contained and focused thing, but hey, I pumped over 800hours in D1 so my guess is I'll be enjoying myself with D2.

ethomaz

Banned
To be more clear, when I wrote lore, I meant story as presented in the game. I don't delve into the grimoire, but the bits I've read and followed have been interesting. The universe Bungie has established with Destiny is pretty great and as usual they're packing the corners with remarkable detail. But the actual big picture story telling has been problematic. I was talking very specifically about what Luke discussed in that interview - how the Darkness was presented in the story of D1, and how they plan to handle it going forward.
I agree here...

Story is suck amazing but how the game tells you it is trash... Grimorie is a cool add but not how you tell the main story.

I waited anxiously for Destiny 1, and even if it was disappointing when compared with some of its promises, I believe that it was an interesting and worthy experience. It seems to me, based on conversations with my gaming circles, that most of the people who spoke against it didn´t even finish the Vault of Glass, for example.

What has been shown of Destiny 2 doesn´t interest me at all. The graphics, the lore, the O´Donnell-less music, the Activision / Playstation marketing deals do show Bungie as a shell of its former, legendarily creative self IMHO.

That said, the list of reasonable demands listed by the OP aren´t stopping it from being hyped, bought and played extensively by the millions of those who already invested hundreds if not thousands of hours into the first, addicting but ultimately shallow game.

That's what I feared most about the first. I've seen some things that really interest me about this second game, but with Anthem on the way, which appears like it could be the type of game I hoped the first Destiny would be from an overall story perspective, and potentially even more because I'm much more a fan of the way Bioware tells stories. Toss in that I prefer the third person point of view, and I'm willing to wait to see how Anthem turns out before possibly deciding to jump into Destiny 2.

That said, footage like this of Destiny 2 is making me rethink waiting, because this looks more like what I wanted from the first Destiny. Seems like a nice story focus, present with action set pieces. It seems pretty epic, and I already know the combat gameplay in Destiny over delivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-nH3OskryI

Hyun Sai

I also share this sentiment. If I see that some PVE content is locked being PVP activity, and that there is not separate balancing between the 2 modes, Bungie can go f... themselves.

border

That was just an example and I know shotguns are heavies now, but the balance will be garbage either way because in 3 full years, Bungie has displayed zero ability to competently balance their game. Just let me grind through the hamster wheel of RNG without having to jump through PvP hoops.

What FPS based around classes, huge ability trees, and hundreds of gear/weapon drops actually is balanced? I played WoW for years and it was never balanced.....just an ever-changing meta that tended to favor one class, build, or playstyle over another. Expecting the game to be as balanced as Halo or Counterstrike is a recipe for disappointment. I honestly think the appeal of the game is that every class tends to have some kind of overpowered ability, depending on the situation. Everybody gets to feel like an unstoppable wrecking ball, at a particular interval. It's only competitive players that really want balance -- everyone else likes the idea that given the right situation, they can wreck a whole team.

I remember the same kind of shit for Destiny 1. It continued through launch and still goes on today. I'm not sure what it is. The working enviroment over at Bungie is far from professional. It's sad.

border

I remember the same kind of shit for Destiny 1. It continued through launch and still goes on today. I'm not sure what it is. The working enviroment over at Bungie is far from professional. It's sad.

It's an MMO of sorts. Some significant percentage of the playerbase will always be upset about some particular change. Blizzard has dealt with an upset fan base for the better part of 12-13 years.

That said, it's understandably frustrating that Destiny 2 won't be as feature complete as the current version of Destiny 1. I hope they can add in Private Matches and Rumble PVP as soon as possible.

When Destiny 2 was announced, I though for a second about going back. I was expecting a new game building up on Destiny 1's foundation, not a game that basically would destroy all existing player progression, dump all existing content in the garbage can and and start from scratch. The fact that all the gameplay vids I've seen look exactly like Destiny 1 doesn't help either... They threw everything away to rebuild the exact same thing and sell you the same experience again.

I'm just glad I move to warframe instead. Here I get to keep all my 33 maxed level frames, all my maxed guns, when there's new content added, it's added on top of the existing content, not replacing or deleting existing stuff. It's building and improving it's foundation, it's core gameplay without constantly throwing player progression down the crapper because "hey, new level cap means you must throw all your old stuff away" garbage. Wish more game devs would respect the time invested by their players into their game, and reward vets instead of constantly forcing them to re-earn ther vet status.
This so damn much.

Once you've played a real long term progression system done right (4 years into Warframe and zero resets, only an expanding arsenal with more options) its hard to go back to the grind-to-exotic-reset-to-rags-grind-to-exotic formula.

I wish Bungie (and other devs) could pick up on at least some of the stuff Warframe gets right - notably progression, but also keeping every mission in every area relevant rather than doled out once a day or week. Bungie has done some decent and necessary system overhauls though, and I hope they're up for more to keep their game fresh.

Lasty95

It's an MMO of sorts. Some significant percentage of the playerbase will always be upset about some particular change. Blizzard has dealt with an upset fan base for the better part of 12-13 years.

That said, it's understandably frustrating that Destiny 2 won't be as feature complete as the current version of Destiny 1. I hope they can add in Private Matches and Rumble PVP as soon as possible.

Very true that when you make changes to a game that people have poured so much time into, a percentage of players will get upset.

Sure doesn't make them right though.

For example, you may miss Rumble, but I'm not convinced it worked particularly well as a playlist and contributed to a sense that the Crucible overall was a little muddled and uneven. I'm sure it will come back at some point though.

Destiny 2 should be, and probably will be, a much better game than Destiny 1 at launch. It may well be that D2 vanilla will be slightly less feature-rich at launch, but I'm expecting that what is there will be better thought out and refined.

cripterion

Lots of baffling decisions have been made. I'm still somewhat looking forward to it, but my hype has been mostly whittled away.

Yet they will be rewarded by a boatload of people buying their game, I don't think they give a single fuck about their playerbase concerns, they know they got them hooked.

What was reason given for the removal of Rumble?
They haven't explicitly stated why, but we can speculate given what we know about PvP in Destiny 2 and problems with it in Destiny.

1. Networking problems

A lot of people regularly had frustrating experiences with the Crucible. It prompted Bungie to tweak algorithms, and players to complain about peer-to-peer connections, but the other large variable was playlist population. Reducing the number of playlists increases the player population per list, thereby improving the network quality of matches. They did this to some extent in Destiny, but in Destiny 2, they are making an even bolder move to cut down to 2 playlists (casual or competitive). Casual matches should be the smoothest PvP experience to date.

2. Map Design

A significant amount of resources went into designing Destiny's larger maps and vehicles for PvP, only for them to be relegated to a smaller and infrequent part of the Crucible. Making 4v4 universal meant they could put their efforts to building maps tailored to that size, with appropriate spawn and weapon placement.

3. Game Design

Making everything 4v4 gives a feel and flow to matches that is more consistent so that players can have a more palpable experience of learning the game.

The overall motivation appears to be to focus the experience of PvP and to make sure it is the highest quality possible for all the new and returning players in September.

E92 M3

What was reason given for the removal of Rumble?

That's super odd indeed. We've had Rumble in every Bungie shooter released.

That said, my main concern is still the two primaries. I just can't see how giving less choice (taking away special) will lead to a better experience. The only way I this can this working out is if purple ammo drops as often as special does now or a little less.

Bruno

Battle.net is just the front end login.

Bungie is handiling eveyrthing else after you log in. Including anti-cheat

Blizzard is not involved beyond battle.net being the login portal.

I don't think that is entirely true. I remember reading somewhere that Bungie was in talks with Blizzard about getting some help on the PC side of things. Doesn't mean anything specifically but there is a real possibility of Destiny 2 using warden.

This so damn much.

Once you've played a real long term progression system done right (4 years into Warframe and zero resets, only an expanding arsenal with more options) its hard to go back to the grind-to-exotic-reset-to-rags-grind-to-exotic formula.

I wish Bungie (and other devs) could pick up on at least some of the stuff Warframe gets right - notably progression, but also keeping every mission in every area relevant rather than doled out once a day or week. Bungie has done some decent and necessary system overhauls though, and I hope they're up for more to keep their game fresh.

I can guarantee you that if they ever made Warframe 2 you wouldn't be keeping any of your stuff.

Top Bottom