• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie explains the Gauntlet Incident

Xater

I believe them and at least they reacted quickly. I think in the current climate you need to be very aware if stuff like this. The Kekistan flag is not even that obscure. I actually saw a sticker if it today at a lantern and I live in Germany. These far right assholes spread their shit real wide.

Hesh

It's lines and arrows and it isn't exactly the same. What about the poster in here joking about how have Bungie ended up with a white power first, Nazi lightning bolts and swords? (sorry, I contributed to that... joke)

bHz6ZQL.gif

I feel like we'll be taking the above crazy pills soon. We have a whole company, represented by it's CEO, devs, publisher, design team, coders and social media staff who've investigated and given this answer. But no, it's some sort of white supremacy cover up. Is this the reverse of ethics in journalism? We're going to do a hunt that clearly everything is lies and conspiracy and Bungie just need to have staff fired/get harassed into admitting white supremacy guilt?

Time to ask press sneak fuck to infiltrate Bungie and get a rogue coder who will clearly show the armour design dates stamp says July 2017 and Bungie are complicit in hiding, aiding and condoning white supremacy. Biggest gaming controversy busted!

Seriously? If we don't want 4chan and the trolls to further keep laughing at us getting this one wrong, do not start spreading widespread conspiracy theories and logic that would need a time machine.

Whooooa, buddy, cool it on the strawman. I'm talking about the "KEK" design on the armor and how it relates to the "Kekistan" flag and the dates of the armor creation not adding up with the actual flag's creation on 4chan. Let's back up off that slippery slope you're on and not get into a discussion about vaccines, autism, gamergate and shadowy coverups.

Audioboxer

Whooooa, buddy, cool it on the strawman. I'm talking about the "KEK" design on the armor and how it relates to the "Kekistan" flag and the dates of the armor creation not adding up with the actual flag's creation on 4chan. Let's back up off that slippery slope you're on and not get into a discussion about vaccines, autism, gamergate and shadowy coverups.

Now I'm thinking Bungie might be flubbing the date when the original Legal QA writeup was made.

Explain why they'd do that? That is itself the beginning of a conspiracy theory. Instead of believing what is the most logical solution here along with the compelling evidence you want to believe something is amiss/wrong/shady. Lying is shady. Lying suggests coverup.

Sorry if that post came about as a bit snappy, but after a 20+ page topic asking for someone's head, and follow ups in here saying "we still just don't believe", it is getting a bit over the top.

Harlequin

Hmm? How so? The font of the "KEK" in the game is stylized exactly as it appears on the flag, something that didn't exist back in 2015 when Bungie says the armor piece was originally conceived and flagged for review by Legal. How did this armor piece predate the flag with the exact same "KEK" on it?

The design being similar is almost certainly a mere coincidence. And nothing in the OP says that the review took place in 2015 (only that that's when the design was initially created) so what you're saying about the review doesn't really add up, either.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I unlocked these last night... I thought they were removed?

Oresama

Nice they giving an explanation. Very professional of bungie to do so. No biggie, shit happens 💚

Edit: hahahah my cats name is biggie and my phone auto corrected bungie with biggie

Haha Biggie is an awesome cat name btw.

Kudos to Bungie for coming clean and taking the L in stride.

Hesh

Explain why they'd do that? That is itself the beginning of a conspiracy theory. Instead of believing what is the most logical solution here along with the compelling evidence you want to believe something is amiss/wrong/shady. Lying is shady. Lying suggests coverup.

Um, no, the logical conclusion would be that they made a mistake on the date referenced, not that they're lying. I think it's time to remove the tinfoil hat, I'm not talking about or insinuating any sort of conspiracy theory here, I'm pointing out that there appears to be a mistake made in regards to the date given as it relates to the timeline of the flag's creation and how the "KEK" on the armor, along with the green motif, is seriously the exact same design of the "KEK" on the flag. Besides just looking at it with your own eyes, multiple users posted the design next to the flag in the prior thread. It's clear as day, man.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I know, but anyone debating with a bit of the "both sides" in that topic was even met with hostility. Other than the one or two trolls that topic attracted, those like myself and others weren't saying anything radical nor were we condoning white supremacy. When you bring up hate mobs in gaming, it's worth remembering because others hate, don't end up mirroring their behaviour by being hateful yourself. As I said if you were an employee at Bungie reading that topic you could cut the hate in the air with a bread knife. Hating white supremacy is one thing, a noble cause, but in this individual instance with little information known going full on hating Bungie and demanding someone gets fired was jumping the gun just a little. Even if more people were being a little 50/50 and saying fire if probable cause, but so many posts in that topic were just "fire some piece of shit right now or else I'll never buy a Bungie game again, Bungie has Nazi designer(s)". Hence why I think Bungie has gone and done further investigating and released a PR statement which goes above and beyond "sorry, we don't condone hate, not-intended and we're patching". That was their original release, but a long topic on GAF wanting someone fired and no doubt the mainstream gaming press running headlines inferring Bungie and hate, it tipped them to a further statement. Thankfully it did to put this to bed.

Right from the start they did try and explain it wasn't intentional, and even although the iconography/graphics used were similar, they were not literally 100% the same like some people tried to argue. I even got flak for trying to point that out. It wasn't like an accidental swastika where the design is actually a swastika or very close to one. This logo on the arms, chest piece and legs had just enough degrees of separation to at least entertain the concept of "accidental". As Bungie said there wasn't even a desire to mimic the kek meme back in 2015. The whole design from the start was coincidental.

Even on GAF people know videogames can be in development for literally years. Destiny 2 was never just going to be knocked out in 6 months. I get people speculating something was "slipped in" late in development, but mine and others arguments in that topic was to try and get those 100% sure, even to drop to 99% sure, 1% sceptical. A majority would not even budge to that.

Sure, some things in life are universal to the 7+ billion population. No, the okay hand sign and drinking milk cannot be successfully co-opted. That is ludicrous. Kekistan originally seemed to be created as a fictional meme and transformed into something the white supremacists use. The word kek itself, due to its origins, meh, you can probably make an argument for who cares if some still use it. Just say lol though... Kekistan and the flag? There is nothing good of even trying nor caring for it to be used by anyone other than the assholes.

If someone tries to say you can't post emoji symbols or be seen with a picture of milk, sure, tell them that is a bit daft. If someone tries to say lets reclaim Kekistan, nah, that's not even in the same ballpark as other things trolls/supremacists try to co-opt to wind up the left/liberals.
This is a very sensible post and I think you're right. Thank you for writing it, this is something I will definitely keep in mind the next time something like this happens.

Well said. Of course these are such hot button issues that emotions flare up easily, and that is precisely why I think it's important to stop and think before you react. These are actual people we are talking about after all, so leave the pitchforks and torches and check the facts first. Publicly claiming someone a white supremacist neonazi is a serious accusation that has actual real world repercussions. And unfortunately, if someone is found innocent after such allegations, a significant harm might have already occurred.

Edit: I would like to add that of course actual racist intentions should be called out and dealt with, there is no question about that. But in this case, the intent was questionable and ended up being nonexistent.
This is another wise post that deserves to be highlighted. Thank you too!

Par Score

Up next time to petition Blizzard to remove kek from WoW if the Orcs still say it. Even if they did, which is fair enough and on them to decide its removal, you cannot blame 2004 Blizzard for kek because of a 2017 Kekistan flag. That applies to Bungie as well. They removed the armour graphic because of 2017, but it was originally conceptualised in 2015 when Kekistan did not exist.

I'm not complaining about 2004 Blizzard or 2015 Dontnod, or 2015 Bungie, or whatever other historical deflection you want to make.

I'm complaining about 2017 Bungie who released this game, with this content in it, last week. After Trump. After Pepe. After Kekistan. After Charlottesville.

If this shit was in Destiny 1, no biggie. But then is then and now is now.

2017 Bungie fucked up, and this PR arse covering is just that, arse covering. "Oh, we checked it, we checked it, honest! We missed this innocuous little symbol of White Supremacy used by Neo Nazi murderers, our bad!"

CookTrain

Um, no, the logical conclusion would be that they made a mistake on the date referenced, not that they're lying. I think it's time to remove the tinfoil hat, I'm not talking about or insinuating any sort of conspiracy theory here, I'm pointing out that there appears to be a mistake made in regards to the date given as it relates to the timeline of the flag's creation and how the "KEK" on the armor, along with the green motif, is seriously the exact same design of the "KEK" on the flag. Besides just looking at it with your own eyes, multiple users posted the design next to the flag in the prior thread. It's clear as day, man.

Is there anything Bungie could say to convince you that it was a coincidence?

Unrelated, but this whole thing reminds me of when Jeb was rolling out glazed terracotta in Minecraft. He explained how because of the axial symmetry of the patterns, he had to be super careful to not end up with swastika fodder. Of course as soon as the snapshot went out, people found patterns to make it anyway, so even with diligence, he got a little burned.

Holy FUCK this thread went down some insane slippery slope rabbit hole.

Bungie did the right thing.

Even if it wasn't intentional, it could still be mistaken as such. This is done with all sorts of controversial symbolism.

Just because you didn't know a meaning changed, doesn't mean it didn't. It means you're ignorant. The flag was used at Charlottesville.

Learn some history. Coopting common and innocuous words, phrases, or symbols is what fascists do. It makes it easier to deny plausibility and claim people offended are "crazy" or... just like this thread, arguing about slippery slopes. "If THAT'S racist, what isn't??? The AIDS symbol when it's used?!" "Just asking questions."

Have some fucking nuance. Though I suspect this thread is mostly being trolled given that I recognize few from the big thread.

Kinyou

Bungie says that they didnt reference the flag when they created the emblem. You're suggesting they did, so that would make them liars.

It's pretty easy to stumble upon coincidental designs once you limit yourself to simple shapes like bars and chevrons, doubly so if you're working with axial and/or rotational symmetry and disregard shape weights and colors.

I work with art direction, doing review/vetting for any icons/logos with this kind of iconography is always a nightmare and almost invariably surfaces near twins.

Whompa02

The artist did it intentionally.

Just out the artist and be done with it.

Bungie is doing a very professional job at the end of the day.

I know, but anyone debating with a bit of the "both sides" in that topic was even met with hostility. Other than the one or two trolls that topic attracted, those like myself and others weren't saying anything radical nor were we condoning white supremacy. When you bring up hate mobs in gaming, it's worth remembering because others hate, don't end up mirroring their behaviour by being hateful yourself. As I said if you were an employee at Bungie reading that topic you could cut the hate in the air with a bread knife. Hating white supremacy is one thing, a noble cause, but in this individual instance with little information known going full on hating Bungie and demanding someone gets fired was jumping the gun just a little. Even if more people were being a little 50/50 and saying fire if probable cause, but so many posts in that topic were just "fire some piece of shit right now or else I'll never buy a Bungie game again, Bungie has Nazi designer(s)". Hence why I think Bungie has gone and done further investigating and released a PR statement which goes above and beyond "sorry, we don't condone hate, not-intended and we're patching". That was their original release, but a long topic on GAF wanting someone fired and no doubt the mainstream gaming press running headlines inferring Bungie and hate, it tipped them to a further statement. Thankfully it did to put this to bed.

Right from the start they did try and explain it wasn't intentional, and even although the iconography/graphics used were similar, they were not literally 100% the same like some people tried to argue. I even got flak for trying to point that out. It wasn't like an accidental swastika where the design is actually a swastika or very close to one. This logo on the arms, chest piece and legs had just enough degrees of separation to at least entertain the concept of "accidental". As Bungie said there wasn't even a desire to mimic the kek meme back in 2015. The whole design from the start was coincidental.

Great post. I personally am satisfied with Bungie's explanation and I think anyone expecting more is simply looking for the proverbial pound of flesh. Fighting hate speech starts by not becoming so consumed by hate that you lose sight of what's reasonable.

Ramirez

The artist did it intentionally.

Just out the artist and be done with it.

Bungie is doing a very professional job at the end of the day.

As someone said, if this were true, someone would leak the story as BS and Bungie's brand would take a massive hit. They fired Marty O'Donnell, I refuse to believe they would protect some random artist and make this up, lol.

Dr.Phibes

So the checked the meme but weren't able to identify it as problematic? The knowyourmeme entry was the second link google gave me.

nynt9

I'm not complaining about 2004 Blizzard or 2015 Dontnod, or 2015 Bungie, or whatever other historical deflection you want to make.

I'm complaining about 2017 Bungie who released this game, with this content in it, last week. After Trump. After Pepe. After Kekistan. After Charlottesville.

2017 Bungie fucked up, and this PR arse covering is just that, arse covering. "Oh, we checked it, we checked it, honest! We missed this innocuous little symbol of White Supremacy used by Neo Nazi murderers, our bad!"

You realize that they probably didn't go over every single art asset again before releasing the game right? Most likely they have a repository where artists dump material into, that material was checked and accepted (in 2015) and no one ever looked at it again. The game just pulls files from a database. There are tens of thousands of gear variations in the game, they can't check every asset every month again to make sure if it has retroactively become a problem.

So the checked the meme but weren't able to identify it as problematic? The knowyourmeme entry was the second link google gave me.
It wasn't in 2015.

ghCQT8K.png

"kek" existed before but wasn't associated with the nazi flag. The google trend for "kek" alone would be misleading because the word means "cake" in turkish.

Pandy

Bloody hell at the 'alternative historians' in this thread.

I'm content with Bungie's explanation. Most 'liney' designs can be looked at another way to 'find' letters or symbols in them, and if it hadn't been for the green colour I don't think anyone would have raised an eyebrow.

Audioboxer

Sometimes coincidences happen in life, it's not always a sign or related reasoning. As I satirised in the other topic, just because your toast pops with Jesus burnt into it, doesn't mean Jesus is sending you a message. Sometimes Occam's Razor comes into play and the cogs of the world just fall into place at the right time for an unfortunate coincidence.

No one knew white supremacists would create/co-opt Kekistan in 2017 prior to it happening.

You're on a gaming message board, you should have a rough idea of how games development works. A lot of what is in Destiny 2 will have been designed and made in the years prior to 2017. 2015 Bungie was making Destiny 2 then.

2017 Bungie apologised and patched it out, what more are you looking for? Why can't you accept that?

The lines for the E and the colour are fine to me, it's the K's before and after that scream copying the logo somewhat but I can agree with what bungie said about their design process, mistakes happen even if they can be rather bad ones like this.

martino

Ok this actually made me giggle.

But yeah I was attacked in the other thread for saying they were similarities but they were not the same, some people just want to see racism where every they can I guess.

What is funny is the authoritarian opinions and reactions toward thoses situations...
They are near as bad as racism imo.

Okay then. They are convinced it was an accident. There is strong evidence supporting this, and no evidence to the contrary. Tell us what, exactly, do you want them to do.

Don't do this.

CookTrain

The zeal with which some have held onto their conclusion is definitely a point of self-reflection they might need to have, but no... it's not remotely close to the perils of racism that someone has their head up their backside.

Audioboxer

What is funny is the authoritarian opinions and reactions toward thoses situations...

Nah man, that's a bit far. A lot of people did have their hearts in the right place fighting this, but I think what I said above about hate should be a small nugget of info to remember. There is a lot of hate in the gaming industry, before you yourself go on a hateful tirade at someone/someone's job, make sure you are 100% in the right. Not I feel 100% in the right, actually 100% in the right. Otherwise, you can be left looking and feeling a little regretful about your comments.

As I said previously, the internet as a mobilized collective can get things done, but when the internet gets it wrong it can really get it wrong sometimes. It's okay to ask and question before joining a bandwagon, that doesn't always mean you're this "both sides" troll many people are quick to dish out at times. There was a genuine reason to be both sides here, and the proof speaks for itself.

I didn't even know it had another context until that thread, as i'm a long time WoW player.

It goes back further than that, at least in internet gaming culture. Back in the Starcraft 1 days, "kekekekekekekeke" was the Korean equivalent of "lolololololololol", and often this was shortened to "kek."

Harlequin

It's not the actual symbol, though, it just resembles part of the symbol. And even if we're working under the general assumption that it's unacceptable for that armour design to be in the game (which I don't think we are but that's besides the point), that won't change the simple fact that everyone makes mistakes from time to time. And sure, some mistakes are harder to forgive than others but you're really making molehills into mountains here. They missed something relatively minor, they were made aware of it, they've now fixed it.

Balfour

Didn't know kek was adopted as a racist term. I am sure most who use still only know it as LOL or the frog man. Who i didn't even know was bad. No one I know or people I have seen ever post Pepe for anything but dumb memes and never about bad things really. Being ignorant of it I think ia more common

tkscz

That doesn't add up, though. How did someone in 2015 copy the exact same "KEK" design from the flag if it didn't exist back then? Now I'm thinking Bungie might be flubbing the date when the original Legal QA writeup was made.

Because it's not difficult and completely common for two designs to look the same? Hell, until today, I and many people here have never seen that symbol before. It's completely possible and within reason to believe they are telling the truth. Someone made the symbol at Bungie in 2015, with those not being K, but instead being Chevrons.

adversarial

My only exposure to "kek" is from WoW, when someone from the opposite faction walks up to you and says "lol", that's what it translates to. Isn't this where it originally came from?

Audioboxer

Because it's not difficult and completely common for two designs to look the same? Hell, until today, I and many people here have never seen that symbol before. It's completely possible and within reason to believe they are telling the truth. Someone made the symbol at Bungie in 2015, with those not being K, but instead being Chevrons.

They are, this image makes it clearer it's a > attached to |, if you look at the black borders. Not someone who's typed up a K. However yes, |< can still be interpreted as a k. Such as Rice |<rispies.

AIogGsK.jpg

There's a picture of the chest armour here, which is surprisingly hard to find on the net (most sources are just using the image all the articles have used)

jg9Uhm9.jpg

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've never heard kek used in any other context than from the mouths of misogynists and white supremacists. How have you heard it used?

I've always used kek as lol because it's from World of Warcraft.

thumb

Banned
Even on GAF people know videogames can be in development for literally years. Destiny 2 was never just going to be knocked out in 6 months. I get people speculating something was "slipped in" late in development, but mine and others arguments in that topic was to try and get those 100% sure, even to drop to 99% sure, 1% sceptical. A majority would not even budge to that.

Hi Audioboxer, you were the individual I discussed this with the most in the previous thread. I want to formally acknowledge that you were correct about the basics of this issue. Our discussion was a little different, as we were mostly talking about what it means to be fired and what is fireable offense. That said, I considered it extremely unlikely that the design was made without intent.

tkscz

They are, this image makes it clearer it's a > attached to |, if you look at the black borders. Not someone who's typed up a K. However yes, |< can still be interpreted as a k. Such as Rice |<rispies.

AIogGsK.jpg

There's a picture of the chest armour here, which is surprisingly hard to find on the net (most sources are just using the image all the articles have used)

jg9Uhm9.jpg

So they really were Chevrons.

And I get why people would take offense to this, but making straight accusations like that is not a good thing to do. Most people who know Kek only see it as the WoW version of lol (though I always thought yelling BUR was funnier). This group of racist making a name and flag of it is relatively unknown by populous. So it's understandable that they took an old design and not see the resemblance of something they had no idea about. Just because you know about something, doesn't mean it's popular enough to know everyone knows.

Again, I can understand why they want it removed and I'm not arguing that. But attacking and making assumptions about an artist who very well may not have known about something that a small group knows about is not an ok thing to do.

I understand that a company's primary interest is self-preservation and it is not obligated to be honest in a controversial situation. Corporate apologies often attempt to explain away a situation without a direct admission of fault because their singular intention is maintaining customers and for everyone to forget it even happened. A corporate entity has no emotion - contrition is not part of their business model - so the entire idea of corporate apologies is flimsy at best.

This is why we seek human accountability. This is why we want somebody fired, or exposed, or for action to be taken against the individuals that are to blame.

So I get why an explanation that doesn't lay the blame on a particular actor is suspect. It makes you think they're lying. It makes you think they're trying to protect their brand and their employee and they don't want to admit they were dumb enough to let a white supremacist vandalize their video game.

But here is the other end side of this: companies, especially in a business as ruthless and with such high turnover as video games, have no obligation to protect an employee. Whoever designed this probably doesn't even work at Bungie anymore. But if they did, Bungie has no reason to cover up their intentions and keep them discretely employed. Controversy is expensive. Firing someone is cheap. If they really believed there was a malicious intention behind the design, you can bet they would sack the designer immediately.

So for them to take an alternate route and say it was an accident and look like morons in the process tells me they're probably being honest. Because it would be much easier to say the person who designed the costume is no longer with Bungie and they do not represent the company. You probably recognize this line because this is what every company says when this stuff happens. They say this because this is the easiest and most cost-effective action.

Anybody who thinks Bungie is trying to be sneaky and protect their reputation should keep all of this in mind. There was a very easy way to handle this and they opted for a different course. They instead came forward, very quickly, with an explanation of their creative process and why their content team failed to catch the similarity.

Is it unsatisfying? Maybe. It's still hard to look at that armor and not connect it to an extremely similar image. But if that's what Bungie says happened, it's probably true. Because no company would do this instead of the easier, more obvious, and more common course of action of firing the person responsible and denouncing their beliefs.

The company has been clear since the news broke that this isn't something they wanted in their game. They were embarrassed and apologetic and took immediate action to rectify the situation. This has to be enough. This is exemplary behavior in a situation like this.

But if there was really a sneaky racist putting Nazi memes in their video games, we would know by now. For once in our post-capitalist Hell, a company has come forward and said they failed as an operation rather than blame an individual. This is exceedingly uncommon and we should reward it rather than refuse it.

eot

Banned
That doesn't add up, though. How did someone in 2015 copy the exact same "KEK" design from the flag if it didn't exist back then? Now I'm thinking Bungie might be flubbing the date when the original Legal QA writeup was made.

1) They didn't copy the design (they are different)
2) The design uses very simple elements that can only be arranged in so many ways
3) People accidentally create the same thing independently of each other all the time, and with more complex things than this logo

Having a witch hunt trying to get people fired is ridiculous. People should know better by now.

nightside

What if it's a black power fist?

It's basically cm punk logo.
Anyway I really don't think that everything in a game as huge as destiny 2 went through QA just in the last month before release, probably every asset, design and stuff like that had been checked by QA as soon as submitted more or less (I guess).

I had absolutely no idea KEK was now used by white supremacists until this whole controversy with the gauntlet. Until now, I only thought it was a WoW thing and a sometimes referenced internet meme.

The design never looked 100% identical to the KEK flag, but could be referencing it. Their explanation of the chevron shapes adds up, plus, they were only aware of the original meaning of "kek", so it was a case of a player going "Heh, this looks like 'kek'" wouldn't be a problem, originally, but it is now.

The bottom line here is that they addressed the issue while explaining the creation process of all their art, even culturally vetting submitted material, and sometimes things slip through. The design isn't similar enough to label the artist as a white supremacist. We don't know their intentions, Bungie certainly has a better grasp of who the person is than us, so, frankly, it's both pointless and damaging to make assumptions about their ideals.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
1) They didn't copy the design (they are different)
2) The design uses very simple elements that can only be arranged in so many ways
3) People accidentally create the same thing independently of each other all the time, and with more complex things than this logo

This is the part that really gets me. Similar designs happening independent of each other, especially when involving fairly simple design elements like in this case, is nowhere close to a rare occurrence. I doubt this is the biggest coincidence anyone here has seen this week, let alone ever.

I can feel the alt right whiny cries from the distance, lol.

This was a nice, thoughtful explanation. Pretty cool of Bungie tbh.

It feels like some the replies in this thread are bordering on McCarthyism.

I'm glad Bungie has chosen to be open about the situation and take a clear stance on the issue of racism.

Top Bottom