• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie explains why Destiny 2 is 30 FPS on consoles, even the PS4 Pro (CPU limits)

Pandy

This is what happens when a game actually has AI worth a damn.

As discussed in that BOTW thread the other day, this isn't something we've been used to this gen.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I remember when i thought next gen would mean 60fps for everything

Sadly the second we found the consoles even the "pro"" ones where using shitty ass jaguar cpu's that dream was deader than dead. It was always dead regardless because seem more important to developers that was an overkill blow.

Isn't the basic answer that unless all consoles do the same output, it creates some actual disparity? So PS4 players shooting against PS4 pro players, they have to be the same frame rate. Same with anybody expecting Scorpio to have a 60fps mode - it simply will not.

Van Bur3n

Hmmmm. I don't really get the fuss... Destiny plays really great for a 30fps game. Probably the best console shooter in terms of controller handling and how smooth the gunplay is.

Because 60fps is better and would make it even smoother.

Nevertheless, I didn't expect consoles to be able to achieve 60fps. Not even the Pro or Scorpio. They're consoles, after all.

No problems with this. Just make a good and fun game. The resolution/frames/CPU/GPU don't matter if the later is achieved. Destiny 1 was super fun smooth gameplay. Keep that, and the specs will not matter.

when 1080p on the ps4 cpu is enough for 30fps
why is the ps4 pro cpu also just good enough for 30fps, while being 30% more powerful

or lets talk about Scorpio 44% stronger than the ps4 cpu

i know it's the combination about gpu and cpu and 1080p/60fps should be perfectly achievable - that's my point

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
they're using the cpu as an excuse. there is no reason this game should be 30fps considering it doesn't look any better than halo 5 and the pvp is 4v4.

I'm not sure I'd go that far.

Using only officially released promotional screenshots for both games...

Destiny 2:

destiny-2_2017_05-18-5nyi3.jpg

destiny-2_2017_05-18-duli7.jpg

Halo 5:

Izuna

Banned
Edit: yeah halo 5 looks trash

So why does it look garb then?

But I imagine cpu is being used up for what physics calculations being shared to all players.

Oh well, pc version exists so it's okay for me as an individual

Fisty

With all the mayhem going on in your typical raid or some of the crazy MP variants, there would be no way they could lock 60 anywhere close to how much better they could potentially hold solid 30. I prefer the concrete 30fps of D1 over a framerate that's highly variable under load, especially in situations where your team depends on you. And D1 really pushed a focus on consistency across PVE and PVP, so Crucible 30 was expected.

4K on Pro is good news though, should look clean as hell on my 1080p set

If it's 30fps on vanilla PS4 and includes online multiplayer it will also be 30fps on PS4 Pro. How many times do we have to revisit this discussion? Scorpio is likely to suffer the same fate to keep frame rate parity between Xbone S and Scorpio.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just confused at why people keep having this discussion.

Tagyhag

So they are straight up lying? Pro can do 4k/30 fps but not 1080/900p 60 fps? Yeah right.

That's not how it works with CPU's and what calculations it works on.

Also, people shouldn't automatically assume it's native 4K, especially on a Pro.

when 1080p on the ps4 cpu is enough for 30fps
why is the ps4 pro cpu also just good enough for 30fps, while being 30% more powerful

or lets talk about Scorpio 44% stronger than the ps4 cpu

It's not just about raw power. And not only that, if hypothetically it was, they had to be a lot stronger than just 44% for locked 60fps.

Cartho

So many people have fallen for MS' PR about scorpio's CPU. Guys face facts, it's not Zen. A Jaguar is a Jaguar. It may be "custom" but so was the original PS4 / Xb1 SoC. You can't polish a turd, all you can do is make it slightly less knobbly by smoothing the edges. If a PS4 Pro is CPU bound for this then Scorpio will be too. It's not going to be a vast upgrade over PS4 Pro in terms of CPU. GPU yes, CPU? Nah.

Scorpio MIGHT get some of the PC's higher bells and whistles. Maybe.

see5harp

Why are people thinking this is gonna be 60 fps on scorpio? I don't get what makes you think they are going to release something that runs better on one platform. They didn't do that with the first game.

PnCIa

This is what happens when a game actually has AI worth a damn.

As discussed in that BOTW thread the other day, this isn't something we've been used to this gen.
The footage we have seen yet does not point to anything special going on with the AI.

Hmmmm. I don't really get the fuss... Destiny plays really great for a 30fps game. Probably the best console shooter in terms of controller handling and how smooth the gunplay is.

But this is GAF, where everyone seems to think the Pro and Scorpio will be capable of 4k/60FPS for every game, just like they though the XB1 and PS4 were capable of 1080p/60FPS for every game

Glad to see them openly address it! Honestly I have no issue with playing Destiny 2 at 30FPS on consoles. It does take a bit to get used to if I swap between Destiny and a 60FPS game, but it's never anything that I actively complain about. Still curious to see what PS4 Pro/Scorpio can offer then besides 4K support. I didn't expect an FPS difference between those upgraded consoles but I hoped for at least some detail about improvements.

Fisty

Scorpio amd jaguar 2.3 vs pro amd jaguar 2.1.. Not gonna happen

Yeah people thinking Scorpio can do 60 when Pro can't are missing some basic facts here. It's a slightly further overclocked Jag in Scorpio, 200mhz isn't going to get you 30 extra frames

nOoblet16

I already said this was the case, now even after the developer has said so we'll have people criticise them for "not putting enough effort".

Game simulation and AI is expensive on CPU and going 60FPS makes it even more expensive if it was purely on GPU they would have hit 60FPS already but since it's not that power is going to resolution where CPU has little effect.

This is also why Scorpio won't hit 60FPS either because the CPU boost it has is just not enough for hitting 60FPS. People really underestimate how important CPU is in hitting 60FPS especially for a game that already utilises CPU substantially.

Teletraan1

Banned
Can't wait to move on from this generation of hardware regardless of how the few people who bought a pro will feel.

That's not how it works with CPU's and what calculations it works on.

Also, people shouldn't automatically assume it's native 4K, especially on a Pro.

It's not just about raw power. And not only that, if hypothetically it was, they had to be a lot stronger than just 44% for locked 60fps.

Not sure that matters tbh, as digital foundry have stated before checkerboarding is more than enough to offer 4k at a reduced cost in gpu juice without sacrificing the image quality.

Top Bottom