• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie explains why Destiny 2 is 30 FPS on consoles, even the PS4 Pro (CPU limits)

Pandy

So why is the PVP stuff locked to 30FPS on console?

Because design decisions. They chose consistency, and once they've made that decision it allows them to push the physics and stuff a bit harder as well.

I'm not saying the AI is so advanced they couldn't have cut back on other stuff to hit 60, but we've all known that this gen of consoles is CPU weak so it makes plenty of sense that studio known for having AI that's actually fun to fight is going to hit the wall before most other devs in the genre.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Prepare yo butts for that 30fps, future Scorpio owners.
60fps dream ain't happening with Destiny 2.

Tagyhag

Not sure that matters tbh, as digital foundry have stated before checkerboarding is more than enough to offer 4k at a reduced cost in gpu juice without sacrificing the image quality.

It depends on the person to be honest. I can always tell the difference between checkerboard or native 4K.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic implementation, but it's not 1:1 like Sony would like people to believe.

Why are people assuming if the cpu was more powerful they'd use the extra juice to increase the framerate?

It would go to graphical fidelity and we all know it.

Phyla

Man, these quotes remind me how unreasonable annoyed I am with people repeating 'like..' or 'I mean' over and over.

Anyway, I'd rather have a stable 30 FPS than a FPS count bouncing between 30 and 60.

scoobs

then Scorpio would be the only hope for a 60fps console version
The Scorpio uses the same CPU, which is why neither of these machines can ever reliably do 60fps in any kind of demanding game. The jaguar is a piece of shit CPU among piece of shit CPUs.

Our only real hope of 60fps glory will be when they drop in an actual CPU into these things.

ISee

I'm actually surprised...
I thought people already knew about the shortcomings of the jaguar cpu.

Lister

Banned
Could they theoretically use GPU compute to overcome this (at cost of course)?

Also I wonder if TV frame enhancing technologies could work to fill this gap in the future... On a good TV it can fill frames at about 100ms but if they can cut this down (with HDMI VRR too), could be a decent solution.

This would only add a TON of latency to the game plus interpolation artifacts.

Costia

they're using the cpu as an excuse. there is no reason this game should be 30fps considering it doesn't look any better than halo 5 and the pvp is 4v4.
But it has nothing to do with how it looks. What's restricting them is not GPU power it's CPU.
Like they said its physics and AI - it won't affect much how the game looks, it will affect how the game plays - i.e. enemy behavior and interactions between objects in the map.

KR93TA2.gif

nOoblet16

Why are people assuming if the cpu was more powerful they'd use the extra juice to increase the framerate?

It would go to graphical fidelity and we all know it.
Umm...CPU doesn't really do graphics. If there was more CPU power it'd have gone towards either higher framerate or more complex game simulation and bigger world...not graphics because graphical fidelity is on GPU.

jelly

Probably true to some degree but Bungie engines aren't a shining example of lean and mean. They didn't aim for 60fps and that's all there is to it.

Spoo

Reads like bullshit to me, honestly. Like, be honest about your resources -- if you can't do it, then just say you can't. If it's a choice, and you chose one angle, then state so. Don't be like "Well, we have all this stuff, and when we pushed the 'on' switch it just didn't work" -- instead, be like, we have all this stuff, and we want to keep all of it, and we don't have the resources.

Because when you turn your attention to MP, it's not some ridiculous physics sim. TitanFall, Cod, they are physically doing the same things, and they are doing it at 60 fps -- grenade 'bounce' physics aren't chopping off that extra 30.

Just be honest, lol. "It's complicated" is such a fucking turn off.

Kyne

it's already been stated that it's 30FPS across all consoles.

give it up people.

if you gave Scorpio 60FPS you'd have to separate the player-base from the OG Xbox One players who play on 30FPS.

you really think they are going to do that?

Lister

Banned
I was wondering when someone will make the *insert year number* comment. 4K/30 is already a big deal on consoles (even with checkerboarding).

Is it native 4K or is it dynamic resolution it never actually hits 4K except when staring straight up at the skybox "4K"?

'cause you can often never tell until the game comes out.

Prepare yo butts for that 30fps, future Scorpio owners.
60fps dream ain't happening with Destiny 2.

All good. I can't wait to see whay they use the extra juice for on Scorpio. If the Pro can get 4k30 them Scorpio at 4k30 should have significantly better assets and effects.

Umm...CPU doesn't really do graphics. If there was more CPU power it'd have gone towards either higher framerate or more complex game simulation and bigger world...not graphics because graphical fidelity is on GPU.

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant.

We would get improved physics, particle effects etc...

Tagyhag

I'm okay with 30fps on PS4 because Destiny 1 was great for me even in multiplayer but:

No IGN, it actually doesn't make sense.

Why not? What do you guys think the CPU does and how strong do you guys believe the CPU in a Scorpio is?

We get one mid-cycle refresh and suddenly people who have never owned PC's before are now experts in all the parts lol.

Next we'll be hearing how Scorpio's CPU is stronger than some i7's because it has more cores...

Strange that H5 can hit 60fps with more AI and physics than anything I've seen from Destiny.

This just is not true and Halo 5 had to give up a lot to hit 60fps in the first place.
Bungie was not willing to take that hit to get the game to be 60fps.

In my opinion this is not even a big deal Destiny played fine enough at 30fps and yes while 60fps is better bungie never picks a 60fps target so i'm not sure how people got disappointed by this news.

Most games on console will be 30fps regardless of what CPU the machine has. Devs choose graphics over quality gameplay and the majority of console kids are fine with it.

It's here to stay until 'hardcore gamers' revolt!

nOoblet16

Is it native 4K or is it dynamic resolution it never actually hits 4K except when staring straight up at the skybox "4K"?

'cause you can often never tell until the game comes out.
It'll likely be checkerboard 4K. CBR provides a 30-35% performance boost over native which would out it in reach of PS4. Not many games really do dynamic 4K and it's more common to either just have an intermediate fixed resolution like 1440P or CBR.

Infinite Warfare did dynamic 4K and it did hit that quite often actually.

Carn82

"cheap average laptop-based CPU tech has trouble calculating 60 fps of triple-A online mayhem, more news at eleven".

jmaine_ph

Bungie doesn't want to sacrifice whatever it is you would need to make the game 60fps on consoles is all they had to say.

Banned
Those notebook cpu's rearing their ugly head again. Never expected 60 anyways. Bungie's shooters are always 30. Will get it on PC.

I do get pve being 30fps if the levels are actually large with tons of enemies even if the graphics aren't improved much from 1. But sorry, still no excuse for the Crucible being 30fps and I'm sad IGN didn't grill them on it.

ultrazilla

This really sounds like Bungie is just keeping this 30fps as mentioned
for fairness in multiplayer but people with a Pro and 4k tv will get a nice
resolution bump. I'm super o.k. with that.

Top Bottom