• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie is changing player faces inside character creator after internal review by Bungie's own "Diversity Comittee"

Forsythia

They need to show some examples. I'm sure this is about brown characters as always. You can hardly create a decent looking white character as is, so why is there a change needed? What they need to change is that you can't edit the face after you created the character.

StonedRider

Diversity Committee? Ok.

How is their decision making process looks like, I wonder?
Do they measure skull shapes or face features and argue about this numbers? Do they have acceptable skin color palette samples?

What the problem? People see the word diversity and get scared 😄
The problem is that identity politics is part of a totalitarian ideology that's spreading like a plague. It is vile, potentially dangerous and it's killing free speech. I think this example is harmless and I think Bungie should do whatever they want with their game, but there are many people in the world who wants to force this shit upon everyone. It's extremely worrying.

VertigoOA

Banned
They needed to improve their character creator... it’s good news.

Diversity in this case literally means having more than 5 faces to pick from. You’re all being spergs because words trigger you pansies.

Last edited:

McCheese

Will wait and see the results before passing judgement, some of the orginal face options were whack so maybe they've just fixed them up?

A lot of black faces are just white faces with a different skin tone applied which results in them looking quite odd.

I doubt white players are going to log into the game and suddenly be black, they won't be that stupid.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Exclusive diversity committees were always something I never really understood
It always leads to really dumb shit

It's more of getting the whiniest bunch of fucks into a room and letting them wind themselves out of energy than some sort of diverse committee of people -.-

m60nosgtf8p51.jpg

Make my face more gender neutral if old
But can the engine that Destiny is running on do things like the Skyrim engine?

VertigoOA

Banned
Will wait and see the results before passing judgement, some of the orginal face options were whack so maybe they've just fixed them up?

A lot of black faces are just white faces with a different skin tone applied which results in them looking quite odd.

I doubt white players are going to log into the game and suddenly be black, they won't be that stupid.

Faux outrage. Players have been asking for better player creation tools for their avatars for years already. It’s finally being improved amongst other things... for legitimate player diversity so not everyone has the same 5 faces.

Engine improvements are being made in a variety of areas.

The game introducing Dynamic Weather systems in Europa is a far bigger change but that’s not a good subject to create fake internet outrage from.

Left or right. You dumbasses get played like fiddles with the right clickbait headline

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Wonder if they will add a barber like WoW but charges the paid currancey. You know they will.

VertigoOA

Banned
Wonder if they will add a barber like WoW but charges the paid currancey. You know they will.

I was wondering if they would. You haven’t been able to change your character. I still have the same characters I created... 7 years ago almost.

Although my Titan is a generic bald-headed space marine and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
No idea what to expect with this. They need to let us change our characters appearance anyways. Some of the characters imported from D1 look awful. I also have three human characters and would love to change two to Exo and Awoken.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
No idea what to expect with this. They need to let us change our characters appearance anyways. Some of the characters imported from D1 look awful. I also have three human characters and would love to change two to Exo and Awoken.

They’re also improving the lighting model for older areas EDZ and Nessus.

There’s quite a few engine improvements with this latest rebuild. They confirmed yesterday’s blogpost that much of it is for background engine applications in Beyond Light.

Basically by deleting older content ... they’re modularly improving the engine.

Garnox

They needed to improve their character creator... it’s good news.

Diversity in this case literally means having more than 5 faces to pick from. You’re all being spergs because words trigger you pansies.

If that truly is the case, then I can agree with this sentiment.

The TWAB reads as though they aren't adding new faces, but changing pre-existing ones, which is lame.

I wouldn't call it variety, when it's still just 5. Hard to have representation with just 5 faces.

Especially at the risk of changing someone's already pre-established character. My female Warlock is quite pretty, I imported her from D1. I've become accustomed to her aesthetic and don't necessarily care for the idea of them changing her when in reality they should be adding more, not adjusting.

I'll reserve judgment, but you need to understand that maybe Bungie needs to be a little more clear on their changes, so as to avoid these kind of threads.

Warnen

I was wondering if they would. You haven’t been able to change your character. I still have the same characters I created... 7 years ago almost.

Although my Titan is a generic bald-headed space marine and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Same, I made my awaken warlock look like that bad guys from the SyFy show Defiance.... The warlock outlived the show 2 times over.

lock2k

Banned
Exclusive diversity committees were always something I never really understood
It always leads to really dumb shit

It's more of getting the whiniest bunch of fucks into a room and letting them wind themselves out of energy than some sort of diverse committee of people -.-

But can the engine that Destiny is running on do things like the Skyrim engine?

Diversity Committees are a clever way for mentally challenged dumb people to have jobs in good companies. It's the ultimate scam. You can have a shitty degree, be a doofus and you'll even get respect inside the company. It's like the con of the century.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
They’re also improving the lighting model for older areas EDZ and Nessus.

There’s quite a few engine improvements with this latest rebuild. They confirmed yesterday’s blogpost that much of it is for background engine applications in Beyond Light.

Basically by deleting older content ... they’re modularly improving the engine.
Yeah, I’ve been keeping up with the weekly updates. Excited for the refreshes. Really hoping for a new character editor feature for existing characters.

Interested in the lighting changes. There are some areas where the where the black levels are totally out of whack-can’t see anything. Only game that doesn’t want to play nice with my HDR TV.

Warnen

I’m really glad this is a priority when they are about to delete about half the game I bought. Deleting 10 strikes for 1 new one, glad they had time to fix this then make more strikes.

BabyYoda

Banned
More diversity usually means less white people, particularly white men of the straight variety... Bungie what are you doing? You used to be cool.

Now if it means genuinely more avatar variety, then great, but if its cut from the same woke cloth that we're seeing destroy so many ip's atm, then I'm glad I never bothered with this game past the beta.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

Lesbian short cut female character, possibly trans, gotta have some diversity. Yep that’s really important to the game.

sainraja

Anyone giving money to companies employing "diversity committees" deserves what they get. You don't get to bitch & moan. Stop supporting these motherfuckers.

It is most likely composed of existing employees at the company (with different roles.) It doesn't necessarily mean they are hired solely for that.

Last edited:

llien

How about add more faces and not modify those already in the game?
Having an option of trans/something character doesn't mean more diversity (in all seriousness).
You gotta be forced to play as such (due to poor LGBTQA+ having to play as heterosexual white males, bar Tomb Raider and other non-heterosexual-white-male-cchars, for millenia, it is only fair) for it to be considered diversity.

Seriously, this was posted on that other site (I don't visit it, but saw screenshot of that stuff on this one).

Makes sense, when you think about it.
See, for instance, that NG stuff, with protagonist looking like Bartosz (a male char) from Dark (Netflix Series, great one, by the way)

Bryank75

Banned
We were asking for years for more customization.... they ignored us and now listen to this stupid committee, what an insult.

Glad I stopped playing, they treat the titan class like shit too. Taking away titan skating was one of the worst things they did.

VertigoOA

Banned
Destiny is one of the few games that doesn’t hamfist progressive agenda down your throat. It’s pretty neutral while maintaining a broad global appeal.

Bungie itself does plenty of charity events or campaign’s so the most you’ll see is some kind of rainbow flag or blackfist rendition of a previous in-game logo ... that someone paid 5$ for... an emblem.

Legitmate diversity and tools to player avatar creation was needed 7 years ago. Changing of current faces seem like geometry updates... the game is starting to look aged and they’re promising incremental updates.

The biggest news this week for the game is that they are making incremental improvements to the engine, it’s lighting, and introducing for the first time a dynamic weather system to gameplay scenarios.

People read too much into this. The game literally had the poorest selection of player selection imaginable. Which is hilarious seeing how huge the game is and that under the helmet ... everyone looks the same.

sainraja

At the company I work for, they are entirely new hires.

Interesting. I guess very much possible then...where I work, any committee or group setup is usually composed of internal employees and I guess that is not to say they may not make a hire based on a specific need that arises but yeah I see what you are saying.

Bryank75

Banned
Destiny is one of the few games that doesn’t hamfist progressive agenda down your throat. It’s pretty neutral while maintaining a broad global appeal.

Bungie itself does plenty of charity events or campaign’s so the most you’ll see is some kind of rainbow flag or blackfist rendition of a previous in-game logo ... that someone paid 5$ for... an emblem.

Legitmate diversity and tools to player avatar creation was needed 7 years ago. Changing of current faces seem like geometry updates... the game is starting to look aged and they’re promising incremental updates.

The biggest news this week for the game is that they are making incremental improvements to the engine, it’s lighting, and introducing for the first time a dynamic weather system to gameplay scenarios.

People read too much into this. The game literally had the poorest selection of player selection imaginable. Which is hilarious seeing how huge the game is and that under the helmet ... everyone looks the same.
Yes but we need titan skating on console....

Kalamari

I was cosidering a purchase of Beyond Light, but not any longer. Diversity Committees get no support from me.

jaysius

Banned
"HAI GUYS! Shit I mean THOSE! Shit I don't even know! HEY LISTEN! Look we've got this shitty old antiquated F2P game that was never all that great... AND We're appealing to you people/deers now! SEE!! Pay attention to US again!!!!"

gypsygib

Reads to me like they're EXPANDING the face customization features so what's the problem?

Lol at Gaf getting so triggered the second they read the word "Diversity", it's made people complain about improvements to the customization engine. Way to fight against your best interests.

You don't need a Diversity commitee to expand customization options...lol
And I say that as a minority myself. Just gives us as many options as possible and call it a day.

The fact that it has to go thru a Diversity committee is weird. Like who gets to represent the robot archetypes????

Edit: I nominate Johnny Five

Last edited:
Top Bottom