• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Weekly Update 9/28/07 - 640p or How they did their lighting

Z3F

Banned
f@luS said:
Picture quality = clean or not. Halo 3 is far from clean, really.
Just finished the game on legendary today, and seriously. Just take level 8 (or 9 , the one u fight 2 scarab at the same time)
EVERY single piece of grass , plant , is "growing" in front of your eyes each step ure making. I couldnt believe that seriously. I wont bother any thread anymore with that, and i really love the game, but technically speaking , this is a huge letdown for me , clipping/popup , aliasing , fake HD (20% missing, so im going through 2 upscales then , one xbox, on my tv doing 720=>768), framerate issues, modelling , seriously ffs.

Let me see...

99% cant see difference between 30 and 60 fps
-Almost all games are 30fps now : CHECK

99% cant see the diff between 640p and 720 p:
-Cant wait to have all games runing at 30fps@Lower than 720p.

At this rate, in 5 years, were going back to SD with GTA like framerate

You didn't seem to have a problem with Heavenly Sword which had far more technical problems.

IoCaster

Holy shit!

I don't really care fuckall about Halo and this is the dumbest cuntage I can ever remember hearing about. If the game looks great and most importantly plays great, then WTF?!?

Console fanboy twats are some of the lowest bottom feeders on the planet.

Fuck it. Carry on 'tards, I'm out.

duk

Banned
Jacobi said:
I'm always wondering about that too. Didn't they it was 1080@60p at the E3?

Nope, they never made a firm committment to resolution and fps.

edram, while a great idea, is to blame, 10mb is just not large enough.

mood

f@luS said:
Let me see...

99% cant see difference between 30 and 60 fps
-Almost all games are 30fps now : CHECK

99% cant see the diff between 640p and 720 p:
-Cant wait to have all games runing at 30fps@Lower than 720p.

At this rate, in 5 years, were going back to SD with GTA like framerate

slippery slopes are so fun!

f@luS

More than a member.
Z3F said:
You didn't seem to have a problem with Heavenly Sword which had far more technical problems.
Whhhhhhy are u talking about HS in this thread? did i hurt your feeling? If i have to answer (though i dont think i have), the only issue i had with HS was the framerate (from a technical standpoint) but since the camera dont move a lot (u cant even spin it) ...../off topic

Z3F

Banned
f@luS said:
Whhhhhhy are u talking about HS in this thread? did i hurt your feeling? If i have to answer (though i dont think i have, the only issue i had with HS was the framerate (from a technical standpoint) but since the camera dont move a lot (u cant even spin it) ...../off topic

No, why would you hurt my feelings? We're just talking about games for fuck's sake. Just seems weird that you're complaining about Halo's technical problems when HS had far more severe tearing and slowdown.

Bebpo

Banned
I think in order for GAF to be rational 2 things should be accepted:

1. It's ok to be upset that another game is added to the list of sub-720p titles. The more titles on this list, the more of an "ok" it gives to developers to not shoot for 720p because they see other games getting away with it and dropping the resolution is easier than working on smoothing the framerate out at 720p.

2. Even at 640p, Halo 3 looks good and there's no need to try to drag down the visuals of the game because of the lowered res.

That being said, GAF is not rational, so fight away!

oh lord, as if this thread wasn't bad enough. The darkest trolls of the night are out, and are headed to town with:

Lostconfused said:
On the xbox 720 in 5 years? might happen, i mean they need to sell the next one somehow.

IoCaster said:
Holy shit!

I don't really care fuckall about Halo and this is the dumbest cuntage I can ever remember hearing about. If the game looks great and most importantly plays great, then WTF?!?

If Microsoft had just said "The 360 supports up to HDTV resolutions" then none of this would be a problem. They're the ones that have been pushing HD harder than anyone (given their one-year head start on Sony) and they couldn't even back it up at launch.

Z3F

Banned
Bebpo said:
I think in order for GAF to be rational 2 things should be accepted:

1. It's ok to be upset that another game is added to the list of sub-720p titles. The more titles on this list, the more of an "ok" it gives to developers to not shoot for 720p because they see other games getting away with it and dropping the resolution is easier than working on smoothing the framerate out at 720p.

2. Even at 640p, Halo 3 looks good and there's no need to try to drag down the visuals of the game because of the lowered res.

That being said, GAF is not rational, so fight away!

It's not surprising that 360 developers would cheat a little since the 360's scaler is so good. The 360 improves image quality even when it's scaling from 720p to 1080p. Unless you have a really good TV scaler (Pioneer elite?), it's probably best to let the 360 scale to 1080p for your 1080p tvs.

_leech_ said:
If Microsoft had just said "The 360 supports up to HDTV resolutions" then none of this would be a problem. They're the ones that have been pushing HD harder than anyone (given their one-year head start on Sony) and they couldn't even back it up at launch.

This quote is so full of shit I don't know where to start.

Do you really think this wouldn't be a problem if they said "up to"? Really? Come on, fanboys and internet bitches will bitch regardless, that's what they do. It justifies their internet existence.

And didn't Sony coin the term, "Full HD"?

Z3F

Banned
_leech_ said:

Sony has a big old 1080p sticker on the PS3's box. How many games actually have 1080P? To add to the insult, the PS3 doesn't even have the ability to scale all its games to 1080P, unlike the 360.

gregor7777 said:
oh lord, as if this thread wasn't bad enough. The darkest trolls of the night are out, and are headed to town with:

I am not trolling i am just saying that i find that post a bit of a joke. For one we really have no idea if bungie wants to make another game and call it halo 4 and i believe its better to let creative people work on what they want rather then forcing them to complete some specific task.

Anyways i am sure bungie can easily take halo 1 render it at 720pp with 4xAA and at 60fps easily all they would need to do is call it "Halo:infinity" and add some random levels with clever names and almost complete lack of continuous plot.

Z3F said:
Sony has a big old 1080p sticker on the PS3's box. How many games actually have 1080P? To add to the insult, the PS3 doesn't even have the ability to scale all its games to 1080P, unlike the 360.

At the very least all of Sony's first party games are running at at least 720p. Sony

Pimpbaa

This only makes me wanna get a 360 and halo 3 more. Since I want to see this fancy new lighting in motion.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm actually a little amused by the complaints over the little bit of stutter Halo 3 exhibits in frame rate fluidity relative to how bloody much the game throws about on screen while games like Gears of War struggle to move 3 guys around in a cut scene and pop, stutter, and chug. (Or play a rain level in Gears and watch the chug when nobody else is even on screen.) You'd think Halo 3 would be unremarkable by now.

ferrex

Lostconfused said:
Anyways i am sure bungie can easily take halo 1 render it at 720pp with 4xAA and at 60fps easily all they would need to do is call it "Halo:infinity" and add some random levels with clever names and almost complete lack of continuous plot.
Ow, damn! Don't be a h8r. :(

f@luS

More than a member.
Z3F said:
Sony system is a BD player too, you know;...1080p. But this is again off topic.

The thing is , now what will prevent other dev to do the same thing? if nobody care, will they not take this opportunity to have 20% more raw power working on other thing? hail to the HD area, getting screwed all over again.
Some people are willing to pay 2/3/4/5K for their tv set to get the best IQ, best upscale, 1:1 pixel , this thing (640p) is just cheating with consummer

gregor7777 said:
Do you really think this wouldn't be a problem if they said "up to"? Really?

Yea, really. People are upset because they expect 720p minimum. If the expectation wasn't there, there'd be nothing to complain about.

gregor7777 said:
And didn't Sony coin the term, "Full HD"?

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/full_hd_1080p_everything_you_need_to_know/C155

Companies including Sony, Samsung, Pioneer and Sharp use the term “Full HD” to describe TVs with resolutions of 1920 x 1080.

Hitachi uses the term “Full HD” to refer to a resolution of 1920 x 1080, regardless of whether the TV displays the image in interlaced or progressive mode.

ferrex

Lostconfused said:
Did marathon infinity make sense to you?
Well, sure! (Ahem, in retrospect, after I spent months studying the Marathon's Story page for it... damn.)

Edit: STOP MURDERING MY CHILDHOOD! :(

ferrex

_leech_ said:
Yea, really. People are upset because they expect 720p minimum. If the expectation wasn't there, there'd be nothing to complain about.
People are upset because they feel like being upset. This is convenient excuse to be righteous about it.

In other news, the world keeps on turning.

DCharlie

Banned
the one u fight 2 scarab at the same time)

i`ve spent the last few year trying to avoid any details AT ALL on halo....
thanks for this! :/

The thing is , now what will prevent other dev to do the same thing? if nobody care, will they not take this opportunity to have 20% more raw power working on other thing?
hail to the HD area, getting screwed all over again
Some people are willing to pay 2/3/4/5K for their tv set to get the best IQ, best upscale, 1:1 pixel , this thing (640p) is just cheating with consummer

i haven`t seen Halo 3 yet, but if i don`t get a serious sense of OUTRAGE of being cheated i`m going to track you down and kick you HARD in the BALLS.

karasu

IoCaster said:
Holy shit!

Who the hell are you anyway

f@luS

More than a member.
DCharlie said:
i haven`t seen Halo 3 yet, but if i don`t get a serious sense of OUTRAGE of being cheated i`m going to track you down and kick you HARD in the BALLS.

Will you track me there?
209.jpg

Anyway, for me this isnt the only thing that upset me about halo 3 tech, its the whole package, as amazing as the game is (and it really is one hell of a fun game).

THey just said , for pgr "its a launch game , we are sorry , never going to happen again"....indeed.

All I know is I just finished Level 5 and this whole argument has reached new heights of laughability. That fucker was PHENOMENALLY gorgeous. JESUS.

And thanks Luke:

and given tinfoil hats some new gristle to chew on as they catalogued their toenail clippings.

That made me larf.

f@luS

More than a member.
BenjaminBirdie said:
this whole argument has reached new heights of laughability.

To all dev around here , feel free to translate : Go ahead and do 640p, nobody will notice.
amirite?

ferrex

f@luS said:
THey just said , for pgr "its a launch game , we are sorry , never going to happen again"....indeed.
Bungie has never apologized for PGR. We have no business doing so. Reference?

DCharlie

Banned
Will you track me there?

.... i have to! Ironically, you have pictured your landing point following the afformentioned booting.

Also - why isn`t this a full frame picture? Apologise ! Your inferior tech made it difficult for me to appreciate this picture.

anyway, for me this isnt the only thing that upset me about halo 3 tech, its the whole package, as amazing as the game is (and it really is one hell of a fun game).

Everyone likes "good tech" , but as long as the games are good - i`d rather that was sorted first. Again, i`ve not played H3 yet, so i`m in no possition to talk about it`s tec

they... did?

f@luS said:
To all dev around here , feel free to translate : Go ahead and do 640p, nobody will notice.
amirite?

Dude, you've played Level 5, you know what I'm talking about. How on Earth could you play that level and take anything about the engine to task? It looks flat out fucking gorgeous and yes, go ahead, whatever you need to do to make shit that fucking gorgeous. Do it. Please.

f@luS

More than a member.
BenjaminBirdie said:
Dude, you've played Level 5, you know what I'm talking about. How on Earth could you play that level and take anything about the engine to task? It looks flat out fucking gorgeous and yes, go ahead, whatever you need to do to make shit that fucking gorgeous. Do it. Please.
it does look very good , indeed, but more from an artistic standpoint, than a technical. I m not saying that halo 3 is a bad looking game though it can really be (indoor), but some technical issues are unnaceptable from such a big game i think.
Its not as bad but i remember a Haze thread where , and i was in it , people were shocked by the way the vegetation pop in and grow and it was like "omfg how can it be nowadays". So many things are too easily forgiven because its halo , its just not fair. I will shut up for halo if people do the same for the other games. Bungie say with an ironic touch " hey we stole you 80p ahah rofl " , and this is enough to make it worth it with their HDR story. Not buying it , optimization is about reaching initial goals with some possible drops here and there, not downgrading the whole thing like this.
Maybe im a bit too serious about this.....maybe. :D

voltron

Im glad Bungie did it the way they did. The game without a doubt has the most realistic lighting Ive ever seen in a game ever. In fact its even more realistic than real life.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
f@luS said:
it does look very good , indeed, but more from an artistic standpoint, than a technical. I m not saying that halo 3 is a bad looking game though it can really be (indoor), but some technical issues are unnaceptable from such a big game i think.
Its not as bad but i remember a Haze thread where , and i was in it , people were shocked by the way the vegetation pop in and grow and it was like "omfg how can it be nowadays". So many things are too easily forgiven because its halo , its just not fair. I will shut up for halo if people do the same for the other games. Bungie say with an ironic touch " hey we stole you 80p ahah rofl " , and this is enough to make it worth it with their HDR story. Not buying it , optimization is about reaching initial goals with some possible drops here and there, not downgrading the whole thing like this.
Maybe im a bit too serious about this.....maybe. :D
I think we can cut the best game this gen some slack.

Brashnir

it's amazing how one can tell the content of posts in these types of threads simply by looking at usernames.

It's like I don't even have to click on the threads anymore.

nitewulf

Brashnir said:
it's amazing how one can tell the content of posts in these types of threads simply by looking at usernames.

It's like I don't even have to click on the threads anymore.
animjay.gif

you can look at the name/avatar and predict the post. if only the stock market was this easy...

Top Bottom