• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's announcement canceled, confirming once again that E3 sucks

Atrophis

I think the announcement was the cardboard halo weapons kid coming on the bungie payrole and mass producing his replica's.

Cancelled after his youtube vids were discovered and posted on Gaf, stealing all their thunder.

Raein

Banned
Nino said:
Yea I bet that Luke Smith guy is just posting rumors anyway, who's he to know.

Has it ever occurred to you that he may be playing along with it?

I don't let other people force feed me what I should consider truth/lies. I look at the evidence and make my own decision.

TheOddOne

Raein said:

I don't let other people force feed me what I should consider truth/lies. I look at the evidence and make my own decision.

ewwww

Stupid website linked to other pic... damn... puke.

Raein said:

Except when the evidence is presented by the same people trying to "force feed" you.

TheOddOne said:

WOW LOL

I was thinking that was maybe just an anti-hotlinking pic but no sir, that's the actual one haha.

Nino said:
Yea I bet that Luke Smith guy is just posting rumors anyway, who's he to know.

Well if this is a ruse... then Luke would be first in line to guide us down the path of deception. Don't you remember 1up Yours? He loved when forum beings got all flustered and out of control.

Good ole luke :)

edit: Woah... what the hell?

Raein

Banned
FunkyMunkey said:
Except when the evidence is presented by the same people trying to "force feed" you.

I really don't feel like unloading the bulk of the information, but go to the bungie.net forums for example and browse around for a few minutes.

Some examples:

The obvious 7 symbolism in the "cancellation" announcement.

The fact that the mottoes that the SI posted like "Keep it Clean" and "Expect Delays" could be translated into what is happening now, and all be a part of this pseudo-ARG.

And so on.

This is very very very bad on MS's behalf. Not only have they ruined this presentation, Mattrick apparently spoiled what they are working on. Bad form, especially when it involves a company that just broke away from you and whom you would appear to have a shaky relationship with....

TheOddOne

Liara T'Soni said:
This is very very very bad on MS's behalf. Not only have they ruined this presentation, Mattrick apparently spoiled what they are working on. Bad form, especially when it involves a company that just broke away from you and whom you would appear to have a shaky relationship with....

To the outside world looking in its looks like you described. But internally something must have been off and only insiders know whats really going on.

Aquanox

Simple:

It seems that Microsoft had this final announcement reserved to counter whatever Sony came up with in their Conference. If something can steal anyone's thunder, that's a Bungie Game.

However, after watching the Sony Keynote, it's crystal clear that this announcement would've been a waste of effort. They had already "won" E3 and this announcement will be saved to kill in a different Conference.

Honestly, I would've done the same. Sony's performance was pretty poor (CGI stuff everywhere of not-that-exciting games) and Nintendo... well, few beared the whole conference.

Aquanox said:
Simple:

It seems that Microsoft had this final announcement reserved to counter whatever Sony came up with in their Conference. If something can steal anyone's thunder, that's a Bungie Game.

However, after watching the Sony Keynote, it's crystal clear that this announcement would've been a waste of effort. They had already "won" E3 and this announcement will be saved to kill in a different Conference.

Honestly, I would've done the same. Sony's performance was pretty poor (CGI stuff everywhere of not-that-exciting games) and Nintendo... well, few beared the whole conference.

It almost seems like they all did this, at the same time. Sony and Nintendo went forward in time and saw MS had a pretty poor conference so they scaled down their own. Little did they know MS had gone forward in time and had done the same thing. This loop happened 1000 times.

Slamo

Aquanox said:
Simple:

It's all going according to plan *laughs* *and laughs some more*

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Aquanox said:
Simple:

Na, no way MS would change plans to show a Bungie game based on a POOR showing from a competitor. Besides you may think they 'won' but the press has widely conflicting opinions.

I could see them freaking out when Nintendo pre-empted them with the 1:1 addon before the MS conference, but even that seems unlikely.

They plan these things months in advance, and MS (and Bungie to a lesser extent) look like shit right now, they wouldn't let one of their competitors make them look stupid like this. It seems much more likely to me that there's some reason the can't do the big reveal now, rather than MS just changing their schedule.

It's amazing how some of the bigger media outlets still don't get stories right. Like Gears is a first-person shooter (minor slip up, possibly even a typo) but IGN XBL is speculating that Bungie has been bought by Activision:lol Um no. Bungie and Microsoft still have an exclusive publishing deal in place.

Aquanox

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Microsoft did what they always do in the new E3: Showcase their library for the current year, and they do this because they can. Gears of War 2, Fable 2, Banjo, Lips, In the Movies, Complete Dashboard Overhaul (including full Game installations for every game) are all for this year, whereas Sony only showed some CGI for games that God knows when they're coming out.

Add to this the Final Fantasy megaton, the one that melted down major gamming publications, including this one, and you know that Sony was under serious pressure for their Conference. If they had something really big ready to show, this was the opportunity.

Just take a look at this poll:

http://www.*******.com/2008/07/15/*******-poll-which-of-the-big-3-had-the-best-e3-keynote/

Viraly, Microsoft has won hands down in this E3 edition and that's without mentioning Bungie.

joey_z

Banned
Zero_Phoenix said:
It almost seems like they all did this, at the same time. Sony and Nintendo went forward in time and saw MS had a pretty poor conference so they scaled down their own. Little did they know MS had gone forward in time and had done the same thing. This loop happened 1000 times.

Uh...Microsoft had the largest megaton of this generation. If Sony actually felt no pressure to show an ace then the company really needs to get a better human resource department to ensure the employees in the games and entertainment division are mentally sound.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I came to see the reveal of Bungie's new big game

but the only thing I got to see

was the reveal of a hairy, gaping vagina

Slamo

Aquanox said:
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Microsoft did what they always do in the new E3: Showcase their library for the current year, and they do this because they can. Gears of War 2, Fable 2, Banjo, Lips, In the Movies, Complete Dashboard Overhaul (including full Game installations for every game) are all for this year, whereas Sony only showed some CGI for games that God knows when they're coming out.

Add to this the Final Fantasy megaton, the one that melted down major gamming publications, including this one, and you know that Sony was under serious pressure for their Conference. If they had something really big ready to show, this was the opportunity.

http://www.*******.com/2008/07/15/*******-poll-which-of-the-big-3-had-the-best-e3-keynote/

Viraly, Microsoft has won hands down in this E3 edition and that's without mentioning Bungie.

I think you clicked the wrong thread.

joey_z

Banned
This just doesn't make any sense. Why haven't they reverted back to their normal page as yet? Surely they know that by not doing so they're creating a glimpse of hope. I'll hold on to it, mother. I'll hold on to it.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Aquanox said:

I'm not arguing with you, I don't see the point in grading press conferences less than 10% of the userbase are even aware of. I'm just pointing out the facts.

Edge said Sony won

Some of the Yahoo team said Sony won

Hence

ghost said:
the press has widely conflicting opinions.

Aquanox

Ghost said:
Na, no way MS would change plans to show a Bungie game based on a POOR showing from a competitor.

Why not?

It was just an announcement, not a full unveiling. Bungie has already confirmed that it was Microsoft's decision so it's crystal clear for me. "When there's the proper time... we'll show it"...

Right there, this is not the right time. MS already has all the attention. They have release dates and gameplay instead of "your wait will be rewarded" and CGI movies for 2010 - 2011 games. The whole timing (1 day after Sony's Conference) said from the begining that this one was subject to change, and it did... thanks to the positive environment, about which, Sony contributed quite a lot.

Ghost said:
I'm not arguing with you, I don't see the point in grading press conferences less than 10% of the userbase are even aware of. I'm just pointing out the facts.

Edge said Sony won

Some of the Yahoo team said Sony won

Hence

The only reason I can find for this is the fact that Sony announced new games, CGI or not. Microsoft as usual, focused on this year... including dates.

The thing is, Sony doesn't have any major western show for the rest of the year while Microsoft can still pull an X08 to showcase 2009 games. This is what happens when you have a lot of material, you don't need to pull is off at once in just one conference.

CoG

joey_z said:
Uh...Microsoft had the largest megaton of this generation.

Hyberbole? Don't see how it's any larger than GTA4 day and date. Plus GTA4 had bonuses for the 360 (DLC) where the FFXIII deal is gimped (no Japan, no Versus).

Aquanox

Ghost said:
Why not?

Press F5 to see a 25 page thread showing exactly why not.

Edit: Sorry It's 26 pages.

That's a falacious argument. Sure fans would be pissed but the win will outpace the loss when it's actually shown alongside with other 2009 titles.

CoG said:
Hyberbole? Don't see how it's any larger than GTA4 day and date. Plus GTA4 had bonuses for the 360 (DLC) where the FFXIII deal is gimped (no Japan, no Versus).

It came from No FF at all in the console - ever - to the biggest franchise coming in the Xbox's biggest markets. There's no way to spin this out without looking really desperate.

Wizman23

Banned
stephentotilo said:
Just filed this at my blog and thought you'd find it interesting given the topic at hand...

Microsoft Confirms That Bungie Is Developing New ‘Halo’
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/07/16/microsoft-confirms-bungie-is-developing-new-halo/

Good. I feel better about this whole mess now knowing it is indeed something Halo and most likely we don't have it in our hands until 2010 which may be why they delayed the announcement. Crosses fingers for Xbox 720 launch title.

joey_z

Banned
CoG said:

Maybe the fact that GTA games had already been released on the original XBOX and San Andreas was supposedly on its way before MS pulled the plug on the console made that announcement a little less awesome than the Final Fantasy surprise. Also, the way they went about it with him leaving the stage only to return and announce it had so much more impact than seeing a tattoo on some old exec's arm. Lets also not forget that the FF series was a much much bigger surprise as MS had recently gained exclusivity to a lot of J-RPGs supposedly because they didn't have the latest FF. Because of all the deals MS was making with JRPG developers, we were all led to believe that MS was desperate as they would never be able to get FF XIII and so didn't even bother. Also, E3 was dead. 3 years back this would still have come from left field when E3 was still the place to make huge announcements. So no one really expected any megatons whatsoever from post-mortem E3. There are plenty of other reasons but I suppose this isn't the thread.

Right now we must be pissed off at MS for the Bungie announcement fuck up.

swander

joey_z said:
Maybe the fact that GTA games had already been released on the original XBOX and San Andreas was supposedly on its way before MS pulled the plug on the console

It did come out, I bought it!

joey_z said:
This just doesn't make any sense. Why haven't they reverted back to their normal page as yet? Surely they know that by not doing so they're creating a glimpse of hope. I'll hold on to it, mother. I'll hold on to it.

This is a very good point.

Top Bottom